PDA

View Full Version : Banging your head against a brick wall

Xaccers
05-07-2003, 11:13
Why oh why do parents never listen?

We can't get cable at the new house, so they're going with Sky and ADSL.
I suggested Pipex as I know several people on this service, and they're more than happy, also its just over £20 and does what we need.
But nooooo, that would be too simple.
Why listen to someone who's got a finger close to the pulse of broadband technologies and services when you can listen to a Sky sales person pushing BT broadband?

Dave Stones
05-07-2003, 12:36
Originally posted by Xaccers
Why oh why do parents never listen?

We can't get cable at the new house, so they're going with Sky and ADSL.
I suggested Pipex as I know several people on this service, and they're more than happy, also its just over £20 and does what we need.
But nooooo, that would be too simple.
Why listen to someone who's got a finger close to the pulse of broadband technologies and services when you can listen to a Sky sales person pushing BT broadband?

:rolleyes:

the simple fact that they're parents?

ive been pestering father for over a year now to get broadband.. but no hes happy paying £16 for a phone line and 56k instead of £17.99 for 150k. and he's an accountant too. could do the maths and work out 150k is much more efficient in the long run :erm:

kronas
05-07-2003, 13:43
Originally posted by Dave Stones
:rolleyes:

the simple fact that they're parents?

ive been pestering father for over a year now to get broadband.. but no hes happy paying £16 for a phone line and 56k instead of £17.99 for 150k. and he's an accountant too. could do the maths and work out 150k is much more efficient in the long run :erm:

LOL accountant guess you mirfield peeps arent as smart as you think

* is smug he gets his own way with his parents :p

Dave Stones
05-07-2003, 13:50
well technically he is a financial director...that makes him a penny-pincher :rolleyes:

he also has deep pockets and short arms. it was bad enough getting him to get cable in the first place :erm:

Martin
05-07-2003, 14:18
Parents wait while we get older, so they can pay us back for all the times we never listened as kids.;)

Xaccers
05-07-2003, 15:37
Yeah but we pick their retirment homes, they forget that all to quickly :)

Martin
05-07-2003, 15:54
My dad keeps saying will I look after him when he's old, i keep pulling his leg saying I have already penned his name in for a home already. LOL

Dave Stones
05-07-2003, 17:20
Originally posted by Xaccers
Yeah but we pick their retirment homes, they forget that all to quickly :)

i remind mine of that fact very often. bit of a problem at the moment though what with all the old folks' homes closing round here.

still its not all bad. the upside of my dad not paying for broadband is that i get my room and board paid for at uni (£70 a week ish :D:D:D)

unless i do crap and end up staying at home, when broadband _will_ be installed...

Chris
07-07-2003, 12:02
My in-laws had AOL dial-up until the account screwed up (it tried to bill a credit card that had just expired). The account was frozen, the in-laws opened another one with their new credit card, but then AOL kept trying to bill them for the old one. They ended up paying for two dial-up accounts.

I tried to get them to switch and when they finally did, they signed up for BT dial-up.

(They are in an ntl cabled street, broadband-ready).

Then they bought a new PC and decided to go bradband ... so they signed up with BT broadband. No webspace, no email addresses, no nothing (except an excessive monthly bill).

And my father-in-law is an accountant.

:cry:

Dave Stones
07-07-2003, 12:06
your accountant dad probably thinks he will end up paying for extras like email and webspace etc :D. im sure thats what my dad thinks... we got a free for a month 150k lefalet and email through today... as if my daddy will sign up though lol

Ramrod
07-07-2003, 13:37
Yup, being an adult is great......1 meg bb, if they did 2 meg I'd have that:D