PDA

View Full Version : two positives in one day, i must have dome something wrong!!!!!

kronas
01-02-2004, 23:08
ah im finally back home, after a couple of weeks down south(pesky southerners) :D ;)

anyway walked in on saturday after a 5 hours 30 mins journey back up north.

and to my suprise there were two bits of good news :eek: :disturbd: :erm:

first thing was that i had a reply from avril!!! some of you may remember i sent off a personally written poem/writeup a while ago, well i got a signed picture of her, it looks to be a personal signiture, so im framing it toomorow. :D :D :luv: :romance: :romance:

speaking of toomrorow (monday) i have my first job interview,:eek:as a 'store assistant' kind of nervous i dont know what to expect, i just hope i dont say the wrong things or trip over and fall etc.............

anyone got any tips, advice that could be useful for the interview

would be much appreciated :)

lets see what happens.......

ZrByte
01-02-2004, 23:17
ah im finally back home, after a couple of weeks down south(pesky southerners) :D ;)

anyway walked in on saturday after a 5 hours 30 mins journey back up north.

and to my suprise there were two bits of good news :eek: :disturbd: :erm:

first thing was that i had a reply from avril!!! some of you may remember i sent off a personally written poem/writeup a while ago, well i got a signed picture of her, it looks to be a personal signiture, so im framing it toomorow. :D :D :luv: :romance: :romance:

speaking of toomrorow (monday) i have my first job interview,:eek:as a 'store assistant' kind of nervous i dont know what to expect, i just hope i dont say the wrong things or trip over and fall etc.............

anyone got any tips, advice that could be useful for the interview

Good for you Kronas :tu: Glad to see some of us can have a good spell once in a while :D Mine should be due any day now.
Where is it you hope to be working?

Kneebs
01-02-2004, 23:18
Good luck with ya interview mate , just be yourself, and try not to let the nerves get the better of ya (easier said than done though :()

Take time to :scratch: think about your answers, rather than blurting out the first thing that comes to mind

Let us know how ya get on....

lemarsh
01-02-2004, 23:21
Sound easy, but try to relax & be confident, and keep as much eye contact as you can, without it being to uncomfortable.

Try to do some background work - and try to see what they are looking for (more than just a shop assistant - you want to help people remember the store, and want to buy again) etc.

Good Luck.

Marge
01-02-2004, 23:21
Be positive and cheerful and try to keep smiling (but not manically :erm: )

Try to find out a bit about the company so if they ask you any questions you might have a good chance of answering and GOOD LUCK :tu: :kiss:

Edit: Sorry meant to say I'm chuffed you got something from Avril, I know you'll treasure it

ZrByte
01-02-2004, 23:25
And obviously Brown nose as much as possible (Sickening but it works), and lie through your teeth.
Say you love to do overtime etc. This may be true in your case but say it even if you never intend to do Any overtime ;) worked for me.

Florence
01-02-2004, 23:32
Stay calm answer carefully and go for it make them think they can't work without you Kronas. Good luck.

Nice to hear you had a reply for your poem :)

Ramrod
01-02-2004, 23:35
Glad to hear that you got a reply Kronas :)
Good luck with the job!

Paul
01-02-2004, 23:35
ah im finally back home, after a couple of weeks down south(pesky southerners) :D

tut tut, incog will be after you. ;)

first thing was that i had a reply from avril!!! some of you may remember i sent off a personally written poem/writeup a while ago, well i got a signed picture of her, it looks to be a personal signiture, so im framing it

I'm impressed - if it is personally signed then she just went up in my estimations.

Good luck, and remember the boss is always right. :)

Sociable
01-02-2004, 23:37
Good Luck for tomorow Kronas.

Just be yourself and you should be fine. :)

danielf
01-02-2004, 23:41
After all the mutually exclusive answers above, I'd just like to say I'm really happy you had a reply from Avril. Nice one m8, cherish it... ;)

Nor
01-02-2004, 23:58
Nice one getting a reply from Avril, I remember me being cynical at the time. Good luck with the interview.

kronas
02-02-2004, 00:03
Be positive and cheerful and try to keep smiling (but not manically :erm: )

lol well if you ask some people who have met me, they know i tend to smile alot (a sign of instanity perhaps) :pp

Try to find out a bit about the company so if they ask you any questions you might have a good chance of answering and GOOD LUCK :tu: :kiss:

yes i will have a look in to that, thanks for the suggestion :luv:

Edit: Sorry meant to say I'm chuffed you got something from Avril, I know you'll treasure it

you cant imagine how happy it makes me feel at the moment, that it was acknowledged. :)

Good for you Kronas :tu: Glad to see some of us can have a good spell once in a while :D Mine should be due any day now.
Where is it you hope to be working?

its a supermarket thats all im saying, its not an ideal job but i just need a springboard to better things, earning and paying my way for once. :)

and a big thanks to everyone who has replied with comments, suggestions etc :)

ZrByte
02-02-2004, 00:04
lol well if you ask some people who have met me, they know i tend to smile alot (a sign of instanity perhaps) :pp

yes i will have a look in to that, thanks for the suggestion :luv:

you cant imagine how happy it makes me feel at the moment, that it was acknowledged. :)

its a supermarket thats all im saying, its not an ideal job but i just need a springboard to better things, earning and paying my way for once. :)

and a big thanks to everyone who has replied with comments, suggestions etc :)

If your emarrased about it beeing a supermarket mate dont be, I work in ASDA :D Nout to be ashamed of, we all have to start somewhere ;)

kronas
02-02-2004, 00:07
If your emarrased about it beeing a supermarket mate dont be, I work in ASDA :D Nout to be ashamed of, we all have to start somewhere ;)

it is embarrassing, but i only need to walk a couple of meters and im outside the door of it :eek:

ZrByte
02-02-2004, 00:10
it is embarrassing, but i only need to walk a couple of meters and im outside the door of it :eek:

Well thats Handy at least, though you'll never have an excuse to be late ;) I have to travel 3.5 miles to get to mine.
And there are worse Jobs, you could be working in a certain Fast food Franchise, lets call it McDoogles :D

Appologies to anyone who works in 'McDoogles' :pp

kronas
02-02-2004, 00:13
Well thats Handy at least, though you'll never have an excuse to be late ;) I have to travel 3.5 miles to get to mine.
And there are worse Jobs, you could be working in a certain Fast food Franchise, lets call it McDoogles :D

Appologies to anyone who works in 'McDoogles' :pp

it is handy but........

step outside my house, walk 10 paces forward, turn right, walk 20-30 paces...............what do you see..............mc'donalds :eek:

Paul
02-02-2004, 00:14

Indeed, I started my working life as a petrol pump attendant - actually serving people thier petrol and taking the money. :D

ZrByte
02-02-2004, 00:18
Indeed, I started my working life as a petrol pump attendant - actually serving people thier petrol and taking the money. :D

Wow a full service Petrol station? I thought they only had those in America, did you have to wash windows and such or was it Just Petrol?

Shaun
02-02-2004, 00:20
:tu: well done mate, you'll be fine :)

luftys
02-02-2004, 00:29
And wat is wrong with use,have to get bex to sort you out :rofl:

good luck for Monday hope it goes ok

kronas
02-02-2004, 00:32
And wat is wrong with use,have to get bex to sort you out :rofl:

bring it on, i can handle anything at the moment even bex :rofl: :eek:

good luck for Monday hope it goes ok

thanks dad...........oops wrong line....... :rofl:

Mayfly
02-02-2004, 00:33
Good luck with the interview Kronas. Hope that you do very well.

luftys
02-02-2004, 00:53
bring it on, i can handle anything at the moment even bex :rofl: :eek:
Dont know if you are brave or silly :rofl: even I would not take Bex on

Rest in peace

kronas
02-02-2004, 11:24
well i did it, i went in and a few others were ahead of me, so i was given a maths test :eek: i think i did well on it though, and i was told to go around the store and point out the good and the bad about the store, so i went around the store pointed out a few good things and pointed out where improvements need to be made, and then a summary all written down.

also i was asked.........

what wage is suitable ?

what hours would you like to work ?

i should hear from them in a week *fingers crossed* :D

Nemesis
02-02-2004, 11:44
well i did it, i went in and a few others were ahead of me, so i was given a maths test :eek: i think i did well on it though, and i was told to go around the store and point out the good and the bad about the store, so i went around the store pointed out a few good things and pointed out where improvements need to be made, and then a summary all written down.

what wage is suitable ?

Well done Kronie .....

Everyone has to start somewhere ... I worked in a grocers for 4 years ... up at 5:30 and finish about 6 ... long hours, but would do the same again :D

Good luck to you ... and get that picture framed ... Well done :D

kronas
02-02-2004, 11:46
Good luck to you ... and get that picture framed ... Well done :D

i wil do but i cant right now...........

and thanks :)

SMHarman
02-02-2004, 11:46
Wow a full service Petrol station? I thought they only had those in America, did you have to wash windows and such or was it Just Petrol?

In New Jersey, USA, it is illegal to self serve gas (petrol). So all stations are full serve!

paulyoung666
02-02-2004, 11:56

what wage is suitable ?

did it feel as if it went ok , hope it did :)

Ramrod
02-02-2004, 12:02
its a supermarket thats all im saying, its not an ideal job but i just need a springboard to better things, earning and paying my way for once. I've worked in Victoria Wine, McD's & Texas Homecare. They may be McJobs but they are a start and can be fun.....occasionally.

paulyoung666
02-02-2004, 12:13
I've worked in Victoria Wine, McD's & Texas Homecare. They may be McJobs but they are a start and can be fun.....occasionally.

McD's fun you must be a masochist :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , i reckon i would last about 30 seconds before i planted some snot nosed baby supervisor :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sociable
02-02-2004, 12:14
I've worked in Victoria Wine, McD's & Texas Homecare. They may be McJobs but they are a start and can be fun.....occasionally.

Just be wary of any "brain washing" style training as my son worked for McD's and used to talk in his sleep regularly calling out "Would you like large fries with that?" :rofl:

homealone
02-02-2004, 12:18
Hope it goes well for you Kronas - and good news about the reply from Avril, I bet you are really chuffed.:)

My first job was 'clearing slots' in an amusement arcade - until I was 'promoted' to bingo caller :erm:, nothing like what I do now, so just look at it as a 'springboard' to better things.:)

Paul
02-02-2004, 12:40

Just the Petrol (and Oil) - remember this was 24 years ago now - self service was not nearly as common then.

Theodoric
02-02-2004, 19:54
<Snip>
[1] anyway walked in on saturday after a 5 hours 30 mins journey back up north.

<Snip>
[2]i got a signed picture of her, it looks to be a personal signiture, so im framing it toomorow. :<Snip>

[3]anyone got any tips, advice that could be useful for the interview

[1] 5hr 30 min, eh. Well, unless you travelled from Penzance, north must mean really north (I hope you're not talking about what I call the the North Midlands, eg Manchester).

[2] Examine that signature at about x10 mag. If it shows jagged edges then what can I do, except to express my sincere condolences.

[3] Use the Internet to find out something about the company. Be prepared for stupid questions like, "Well, what can you bring to our company?" Don't light up a cigarette as soon as you sit down.

kronas
02-02-2004, 19:57
[1] 5hr 30 min, eh. Well, unless you travelled from Penzance, north must mean really north (I hope you're not talking about what I call the the North Midlands, eg Manchester).

it was because of traffic and the rain it took so long :(

[2] Examine that signature at about x10 mag. If it shows jagged edges then what can I do, except to express my sincere condolences.

will do later, its framed now (screenshot to appear later in this thread)

[3] Use the Internet to find out something about the company. Be prepared for stupid questions like, Well, what can you bring to our company?" Don't light up a cigarette as soon as you sit down.

i have been and gone, read the post on the previous page of this thread :)

Ramrod
02-02-2004, 20:08
McD's fun you must be a masochist :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , i reckon i would last about 30 seconds before i planted some snot nosed baby supervisor :mad: :mad: :mad:I did say 'occasionally' :D

Just be wary of any "brain washing" style training as my son worked for McD's and used to talk in his sleep regularly calling out "Would you like large fries with that?" Poor kid! :eek:

paulyoung666
02-02-2004, 20:12
I did say 'occasionally' :D

Poor kid! :eek:

did he ever do the large coke as well , poor **** :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sociable
02-02-2004, 20:20
did he ever do the large coke as well , poor **** :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nope he moved on to a tech support job so now his g/f keeps getting told it's time for a defrag. :naughty:

kronas
02-02-2004, 20:40
here are 2 screenshots, apologies for the poor quality/lighting might get someone elses camera for some more

and theoderic there are jagged edges, i always knew it was an authentic signiture :pp

signiture is on the top left

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kronas/IMG_0012.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kronas/IMG_0011.JPG

luftys
02-02-2004, 20:53
She looks like pink in the dark

Ramrod
02-02-2004, 20:55
now his g/f keeps getting told it's time for a defrag. :naughty:
Well it does blow away the cobwebs! :D

Maggy
02-02-2004, 21:58
better late than never.Good luck with the interview. :tu:

kronas
10-02-2004, 14:00
ok recieved a call on monday asking me to come in on tuesday (today) so i went in and i was asked to stack 2 particular items in a particular style which was done correctly, had a slight problem with turning the thing where you drag the crate with you with manouvering on the second part, but soon adjusted it and completed the task.

i was told to come back on wedensday (toomrorow) and the area recruitment manager will watch me stack shelves in random goods order.

also noted was the 'store' managers comments he said there were 12 applications and they have been wittled down to 4 (including me)

and the area manager took my application with him, so he is 'high' on me.

i just hope i dont make a fool out of myself on the day. :rolleyes:

Nemesis
10-02-2004, 14:12
ok recieved a call on monday asking me to come in on tuesday (today) so i went in and i was asked to stack 2 particular items in a particular style which was done correctly, had a slight problem with turning the thing where you drag the crate with you with manouvering on the second part, but soon adjusted it and completed the task.

i was told to come back on wedensday (toomrorow) and the area recruitment manager will watch me stack shelves in random goods order.

also noted was the 'store' managers comments he said there were 12 applications and they have been wittled down to 4 (including me)

and the area manager took my application with him, so he is 'high' on me.

i just hope i dont make a fool out of myself on the day. :rolleyes:You'll be fine ... just be yourself, The point is to show resourcefulness, and ability to tackle problems.

And you know you can do that :D :tu:

Good luck

kronas
10-02-2004, 14:27
You'll be fine ... just be yourself, The point is to show resourcefulness, and ability to tackle problems.

yes it sure is :)

And you know you can do that :D :tu:

can i ? :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Good luck

thanks nem :)

Bex
10-02-2004, 20:52
good luck huni....sure you will do fine

nemster tried to rep you for your encouraging kronie but have to be a slut again, but repping you in spirit huni :pp

kronas
11-02-2004, 01:13
good luck huni....sure you will do fine

nemster tried to rep you for your encouraging kronie but have to be a slut again, but repping you in spirit huni :pp

always one to be a slut eh ? :naughty: :rofl: *cough manc *cough lol

seriously though thanks for the kind words, i dont know if ill go in toomrorow, i have had this lingering sore throat since last week, its now turned in to coughing, sneezing, feeling as if i have no energy etc :( :cry:

Nemesis
11-02-2004, 08:46

seriously though thanks for the kind words, i dont know if ill go in toomrorow, i have had this lingering sore throat since last week, its now turned in to coughing, sneezing, feeling as if i have no energy etc :( :cry:
You will get off your ass and go in anyway, explain to them that you don't feel to well, and ask if it can be postponed.

Don't just not turn up ... bad form.

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 08:48

your gonna get a slap if you dont give it your best shot , excuses are like arseho;es , everybody has got one :mad: :mad: , now be a good boy and do as you are told , you dont want to **** nemmy off do you :eek: :eek:

homealone
11-02-2004, 08:53
You will get off your ass and go in anyway, explain to them that you don't feel to well, and ask if it can be postponed.

Don't just not turn up ... bad form.

totally agree - if Kronas doesn't turn up, they will just choose between the ones that did. However if he turns up, even feeling ill, it would be a point in his favour.

ZrByte
11-02-2004, 12:52
totally agree - if Kronas doesn't turn up, they will just choose between the ones that did. However if he turns up, even feeling ill, it would be a point in his favour.

Especially if he is feeling ill, I have been told by the recrouter for our place that abscence is frouned upon on any of the new recruits, so I assume it would be moreso frouned upon if he hasnt even started yet.
Ironicly Food Retail is one of the Few places that you are Legally bound to stay off when you are ill because you can cause an epidemic, yet food retailers like the one I work in expect you to have less than 4 days off per year, I dont think they understand you dont choose when you get sick :eek: I nearly lost my bonus last year because I took 2 days (Yes 2 Days) off work within a 6 month period :eek:

Colin
11-02-2004, 13:03
Hey mate, good luck today, hope everything goes okay for you. Won't add much cause i agree with what everyone else has written on this thread.

Oh and by the way, bloody nice one about the Avril Picture, and if any of your letter appears in any of her songs, sue the arse of her :)

Stuart
11-02-2004, 13:09
Any jobs like that can be crap, but if you get a good group of people to work with they can be fun. While I was a student, I had three jobs: Working in Sainsburys (which, thanks to a crap manager and crap staff, I hated), Blockbusters (which was a crap job, but I had a laugh with the people I worked with) and at Uni (which I am still doing).

Anyway Kronas, good luck. Hope you enjoy it..

Bex
11-02-2004, 18:34

my dear you do have a bad cough there..... mention manchester again and next time i see you will set neil on ya :rofl:

hope you went in today, nemmy is scary when he is angry :pp

Maggy
11-02-2004, 18:44
my dear you do have a bad cough there..... mention manchester again and next time i see you will set neil on ya :rofl:

hope you went in today, nemmy is scary when he is angry :pp

kronas pleeeaaase tell me you didn't wimp out.The idea is to get the job THEN wimp out. :D

Incog.

Bex
11-02-2004, 18:46
kronas pleeeaaase tell me you didn't wimp out.The idea is to get the job THEN wimp out. :D

Incog.

or get the job and then spend 10years trying to get out of it :pp

kronas
11-02-2004, 18:59
i didnt get it...........thats all i have to say

*will never get a job

typical :(

Bex
11-02-2004, 19:05

*will never get a job

kronie i was out of work and skint for three months and thought i would NEVER find a job but i got one at last....... you will get something hun

Maggy
11-02-2004, 19:09

*will never get a job

At least you turned up.Well done!

Please don't get discouraged,you are just starting out and you will have to develop a thicker skin.There will be times that you face rejection and then there will be the time when your face fits.At least rejection provides a foil to when you will succeed.

Hmm! Does anyone have a fingers crossed smiley BTW.

Incog. :)

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 19:34

*will never get a job

and of course you asked them why you didnt get it didnt you , feedback is absoloutely crucial , it provides you with answers as to where you went wrong or what you should have done ,dont forget the possibility that the other ppl already had experience of the type of work you were looking for , dont let it dishearten you , look at it as a learning experience and LEARN FROM IT , why dont you ring them up and ask why you didnt get it , if they are any sort of company then they will give you some answers , if they are not then you are probably better off not working for them :)

kronas
11-02-2004, 19:41
i got the answers i was too slow and not physically cut out for it, which is true i did struggle slightly.

having said that i realise just how incapable i am.....

Moox
11-02-2004, 19:47
i got the answers i was too slow and not physically cut out for it, which is true i did struggle slightly.

Keep your chin up. Obviously that job wasn't for you. Don't let it get you down just keep looking. Good luck. :)

homealone
11-02-2004, 19:49

*will never get a job

don't be downhearted Kronas.

One thing that sprung to mind was that sometimes companies are reluctant to employ people they think are too intelligent for the job - the thinking being that clever people are more likely to get bored & leave.

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 19:54

so you are gonna let a supermarket get to you are you , at least you know this is not the type of work you are suited to , get your thinking cap on and look for something else you are interested in doing , maybe something less physical :)

Bex
11-02-2004, 20:04
so you are gonna let a supermarket get to you are you , at least you know this is not the type of work you are suited to , get your thinking cap on and look for something else you are interested in doing , maybe something less physical :)

i agree with paul.....maybe you could look into working on a checkout....or a call centre...or something less physically demanding

homealone
11-02-2004, 20:17

you're not incapable, Kronas, not suited for that kind of work, maybe, but not incapable. You are still young, you are intelligent, you have the potential - you just have to keep plugging away until you find something that does suit.

Nil illigitimi carborundum

Ramrod
11-02-2004, 20:34

having said that i realise just how incapable i am.....As I told you on another thread, take up martial arts. Aikido would be a good one as it doesn't involve kicking or punching, it's quite cerebral. It would get you used to using your body in a vigorous way and give you more confidence (and it's fun).
.....About the job, don't worry about it, plenty of jobs out there (it's just that no-one wants to do them :D )....but we all had to start somewhere :)

Ramrod
11-02-2004, 20:36
One thing that sprung to mind was that sometimes companies are reluctant to employ people they think are too intelligent for the job - the thinking being that clever people are more likely to get bored & leave.Yup, I was once turned down for a council job because I was overqualified :rolleyes:

Sociable
11-02-2004, 21:08
Hang in there Kronas you will find a job that you suit and suits you.

The key thing is to keep on keeping on as they say.

Stuart
11-02-2004, 21:22

*will never get a job

typical :(Kronas, it may feel bad now, but you will get a job. Mind you, judging by my experiances working for Sainsbury's, you have had a lucky escape.. When I got my Blockbuster job, I took great pleasure in telling the manager where he could shove his job. Let's just say what I said would be filtered out if posted here...

Remember, as Soc. said, hang in there. You will find a job some day. And, it'll be the right job for you.

Mad Angus
11-02-2004, 21:23
Kronas, one door may have closed, but another is sure to open for you soon.

smegs
11-02-2004, 21:29
its their loss, don't worry there are plenty of other jobs out there :)

kronas
12-02-2004, 00:58
thanks for the enocuragement all, i dont know what my 'ideal' line of work is, i think a call center enviroment may suit me, i like to help people so that would be ideal, i dont know i might just take up the idea that a freind gave to me, that was setting up a tech support line charging premiuim rates not 50p a min but something close............ :shrug:

and i am useless trust me.

carlingman
12-02-2004, 01:26
thanks for the enocuragement all, i dont know what my 'ideal' line of work is, i think a call center enviroment may suit me, i like to help people so that would be ideal, i dont know i might just take up the idea that a freind gave to me, that was setting up a tech support line charging premiuim rates not 50p a min but something close............ :shrug:

and i am useless trust me.

Sorry to hear you didnt get the job.

But at the risk of ****ing on your chips here your other idea all be it from a friend would need a lot more thought.

Unless your loaded it is not quite as simple as setting up your own help line as you would firstly need a target market so to speak.

Go for the scaled down approach to start with, for instance try placing an Advert in the local paper or shop with your home number on offering what you feel confident with i.e. PC Set UP or PC Maintenance or Tutorials for first timers etc and build from there.

:)

kronas
12-02-2004, 01:28
Go for the scaled down approach to start with, for instance try placing an Advert in the local paper or shop with your home number on offering what you feel confident with i.e. PC Set UP or PC Maintenance or Tutorials for first timers etc and build from there.

:)

exactly the thing that i would do.........

carlingman
12-02-2004, 01:33
Good for you m8.

I have tried it on and off for the last year or so and it does bring in some cash but not enough for me to declare it or give my day job over.

It is all dependant on the market you get.

Myself tend to go for the "just bought a PC market" as can configure most basic settings myself but get a bit lost when it come to BIOS and the likes.

Good luck though if you go for it.

Colin
13-02-2004, 17:04
Sorry you didn't get it mate. Trust me you'll definetly get one, you just have to keep looking, and don't settle for ***** just because its your first.

Dave Stones
13-02-2004, 17:30
I have a job at domino's. its relatively fun and pays well for student work (4.50 a hour).

dont ever get a job as an ops assistant at Boots though, torture/slavery are apt words, even though they give you time and a half on sunday...

swallow your pride and get a McJob in 'ecky? McManagers always need McSlaves...;)

/should stop

or how bout lidl? they pay about £6 an hour for till work etc... the one in mirfield does anyway :erm: