PDA

View Full Version : Replacing email address

0verdrive
30-01-2004, 21:45
I know that I can create additional email addresses, but is it possible for me to replace my basic ntl email address, the one which can't be modified?
Just that I get so much spam on it that I have taken to using disposable email addresses, and would like to restart with clean slate, so to speak.

Sociable
30-01-2004, 21:54
I know that I can create additional email addresses, but is it possible for me to replace my basic ntl email address, the one which can't be modified?
Just that I get so much spam on it that I have taken to using disposable email addresses, and would like to restart with clean slate, so to speak.

Sadly that would not make much difference as even a "virgin" account would be de-flowered pretty fast because of the amount of spam that is sent to random lists rather than actual confirmed addresses.

EDIT: Opps remiss of me forgot to say Welcome to NTHW.

At least you will find many fellow sufferers here. :)

Stuartbe
30-01-2004, 21:57
Sadly that would not make much difference as even a "virgin" account would be de-flowered pretty fast because of the amount of spam that is sent to random lists rather than actual confirmed addresses.

You could allways have an address like this %^^^&SDJKJHGS&S&&*&*&*(GHGHJS&*^*(&S*(&*(&@ntlworld.com

They would not gues that one !!! :)

Shame no one else would remember it though !!!!! :D

paulyoung666
30-01-2004, 22:02

as far as i am aware , you are stuck with the primary address :( , mind you , you could always do what stu suggested :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MovedGoalPosts
30-01-2004, 22:44
Try this link:
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/chguid

If you change your username, the email account name will be changed to that new username.

I've found that by changing my username from a simple firstnamesurname type combination and simply adding a number (which means something to me like a birthdate), I've been spam free for months.

0verdrive
30-01-2004, 22:46
Thanks for the input, friends. Guess I'll just have to suffer:)

Sociable
30-01-2004, 22:50

There is hope on the horizon as NTL have indicated the new email servers will have some server side spam filters but as always it will be about how well they get on with the update and how well it works once in place.

Stuartbe
30-01-2004, 22:53

You could allways choose a stupid address like the one I posted then use an email alias to recive the mail. Its a lot easier the change then..

bigboab5
30-01-2004, 23:06
Hey there Overdrive,

I had the very same problem. And yes you can change the primary address. Well I could!!! I was getting over 200 junk mails a day!!! Mine was in the form "username" and a number ie username6@ntlworld.com, I simply changed it to username7@ntlworld.com. (not the real name guys!!!) No more junk, I guess everything to the old addy was getting bounced. But hey I could give a damn!!!! It worked. I may change it back to see how it goes, I did change about 4 months ago. So there ya go. It can be done!!!

Good Luck

MovedGoalPosts
30-01-2004, 23:15
Remember that if you do change your username (see link I gave above) your webspace name and any other ntl based setting will also change. That might or might not be a problem.

BTW oddly when I did change my username, for the first few days it seemed like mail was getting forwarded from the old username account to the new one, but then everything went pleasantly quiet.

Stuartbe
30-01-2004, 23:16

A big warm nthellworld.co.uk :welcome: BTW Overdrive... Sorrr I forget to welcome you... Where are my manners ? :blush: :banghead:

Stuartbe
30-01-2004, 23:17
Remember that if you do change your username (see link I gave above) your webspace name and any other ntl based setting will also change. That might or might not be a problem.

BTW oddly when I did change my username, for the first few days it seemed like mail was getting forwarded from the old username account to the new one, but then everything went pleasantly quiet.

It has not got rid of the spam mate - The NTL mail servers just crashed :rofl:

rogercruse
30-01-2004, 23:30
Sorry to sound boring, but get MailWasher.

This gives you the option to read and "bounce" an email without having to download it.

And if you then get your own domain name and use a unique email address for each email signup / website, etc. You know where the spam is coming from.

e.g I subscribe to toastersareus@yourdomainname.com on the Toasters Are Us website; And weknowwhereyoulive@yourdomainname.com on the We Know Where You Live webite. Later spam arrives addressed to toastersareus@yourdomain.com

Simply and easy.

Roger...

mmm
30-01-2004, 23:53
Sorry to sound boring, but get MailWasher.

This gives you the option to read and "bounce" an email without having to download it.

And if you then get your own domain name and use a unique email address for each email signup / website, etc. You know where the spam is coming from.

e.g I subscribe to toastersareus@yourdomainname.com on the Toasters Are Us website; And weknowwhereyoulive@yourdomainname.com on the We Know Where You Live webite. Later spam arrives addressed to toastersareus@yourdomain.com

Simply and easy.

Roger...

I tried mailwasher, it failed to bounce any spam because the source and email messages are usually false. You can look at headers only and delete without downloading, by looking at your ntl email via IMAP, which is similar to the webmail but you can use Outlook/Express.

I still have a freeserve address which works as a domain - and it is free!

mart44
04-02-2004, 07:50
I used Mailwasher for a good while but if the spam is persistent enough and of a great volume you even get fed up with looking after that in the end. It is possible to easily change the primary e-mail address. I did it a while back and haven't regretted it. The SPAM has stopped.

I lost a rather good ranking for my web site in Google because account username an web address also change. I re-submitted the URL to Google and it took about about 6 weeks to get the ranking back again.

TIP: I thought that my web pages might get automatically transferred to the the new address but they didn't. They just disappeared. Be sure to back up your site's files to disk before changing the address. Then just upload them to the new location.

I wouldn't hesitate to change the address again if the spammers eventually latch onto the new address.

SMHarman
04-02-2004, 11:21
I used Mailwasher for a good while but if the spam is persistent enough and of a great volume you even get fed up with looking after that in the end. It is possible to easily change the primary e-mail address. I did it a while back and haven't regretted it. The SPAM has stopped.

I lost a rather good ranking for my web site in Google because account username an web address also change. I re-submitted the URL to Google and it took about about 6 weeks to get the ranking back again.

TIP: I thought that my web pages might get automatically transferred to the the new address but they didn't. They just disappeared. Be sure to back up your site's files to disk before changing the address. Then just upload them to the new location.

I wouldn't hesitate to change the address again if the spammers eventually latch onto the new address.

If your website has a mailto: link on it then spammers can easily pick up an address from there. I've found it best to use a separate name on the site contactme@... then you can filter it more easily.

mart44
04-02-2004, 11:52
I've got the e-mail address hidden from the robots in a bit of javascript so there is no 'mailto:' link anywhere. I hope doing this works :). It was on a mailto: link for some time before I did this. Perhaps that is how the SPAM trouble started.

altis
04-02-2004, 14:34
A tip...

Think of a new email address (perhaps add the current year to the end of an exisitng one) and then go to the following page and set it up as another of your 15 email addresses:
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/xtrmail

Then think up some suitably apologetic text that instructs human emailers how to work out that address. Don't actually include your new address in full. Then visit the following page and set it up as the auto-reply of the first address:
http://selfcare.ntlworld.com/cgi-bin/frontend

The spammers, not being real humans, will get the reply and just bin it. Hopefully, real people will twig what's going on and use the new address.