PDA

View Full Version : Just a warning!

albone
04-07-2003, 19:00
I have been advised by ZA that there is to be a Hackers convention taking place in the US, The purpose is to hack into as many computers as they can. So they are advising people to make sure their firewalls are up to max strength and updated.:mad:

If any mods recon this would serve better use else where please feel free to do so.

Chris
04-07-2003, 19:01
Read this in the Daily Mail at lunchtime ... surely it's political parties, news organisations etc etc that are likely to get hit though?

Chimaera
04-07-2003, 19:02
I've not seen his anywhere else, so my cynical mind is telling me it could be a ploy to get all their customers to upgrade.
Or am I just being paranoid? :disturbd:

Gogogo
04-07-2003, 19:08
I think there is increased hacking activity already my ZA is working hard with warnings.

:wavey:

Nor
04-07-2003, 19:31
Hackers aren't interested in ordinary people.

kronas
04-07-2003, 19:34
they will most likely go after the corporate websites........

ic14
04-07-2003, 19:49
But if your connections unfirewalled then your pc could be used by them to help hack. I think.........

Gogogo
04-07-2003, 19:53
Originally posted by Nor
Hackers aren't interested in ordinary people.

What makes you think hackers are normal rational beings who display any interest, they are related to spammers - **** who are prepared to mess up anyone's system.

:eek:

Theodoric
04-07-2003, 20:13
Originally posted by albone
I have been advised by ZA that there is to be a Hackers convention taking place in the US, The purpose is to hack into as many computers as they can. So they are advising people to make sure their firewalls are up to max strength and updated.:mad:

If any mods recon this would serve better use else where please feel free to do so.
Not to downplay the seriousness of this, but it should be born in mind that it is in the interest of all suppliers of Internet protection to show ever potential threat in the worst possible light.

El Diablo
05-07-2003, 02:54
Originally posted by Gogogo
What makes you think hackers are normal rational beings who display any interest, they are related to spammers - **** who are prepared to mess up anyone's system.

:eek:
JESUS! :eek: Hackers are related to spammers? :eek: Oh, get a grip!:D

Jonboy
05-07-2003, 03:17
simple just unplug yer modem overnight if you dont need it on :shrug:

Alan Waddington
05-07-2003, 08:21
There was an article on the register about this.

Apparently web-defacements are down in number recently, possibly because the annoying sods have been pre-hacking into websites, so as to have plenty of defacement-ready sites for sunday.

On a brighter note (unless you run web-hosting), the article also said that they are more likely to go for web-hosting companies. Thus it might be a good idea to keep a copy of any hosted websites offline, so you can put it back if needs be.

So for the average home user, any extra effort is probably best placed checking that there are no trojan's on your PCs.

Me? Adequately prepared as usual business, so not worried

Alan

Gogogo
05-07-2003, 09:22
Originally posted by El Diablo
JESUS! :eek: Hackers are related to spammers? :eek: Oh, get a grip!:D

There are some people who seem to think hackers are heroes of some sort. This is a mistaken view. Hackers hack for mischievous reasons the result malfuntioning web sites and they may also be obtaining information that not only affects the Internet but also can impact on users. Some will also be acting on behalf on spammers.

Hackers+Spammers = ****

Defiant
05-07-2003, 09:25
Their not interested in home user's. Their's after the corperate's full stop and not after harming anyone either ;)

Gogogo
05-07-2003, 09:39
Originally posted by Defiant
Their not interested in home user's. Their's after the corperate's full stop and not after harming anyone either ;)

I don't think you got the message mate. Hackers do affect the home user they screw up sites and access information for spammers etc. So they can affect ordinary users. They do indeed harm everybody by their stupid, dumb activities.

Defiant
05-07-2003, 09:54
I don't think you got the message mate. Hackers do affect the home user they screw up sites and access information for spammers etc. So they can affect ordinary users. They do indeed harm everybody by their stupid, dumb activities.

Well I know some hacker's and they don't bother with home user's. That's a no no to most of them out their

timewarrior2001
05-07-2003, 10:01
There are some people who seem to think hackers are heroes of some sort. This is a mistaken view. Hackers hack for mischievous reasons the result malfuntioning web sites and they may also be obtaining information that not only affects the Internet but also can impact on users. Some will also be acting on behalf on spammers.

Hackers+Spammers = ****

Hackers also equals better security. So it cant be all that bad can it? I mean we need people other than microsoft employees to find the bugs in the software or we could all be in serious trouble.

Also what some people dont give them credit for, with the exception of Script kiddies, hackers are usually damn good programmers. Same as the guys that write some virus code.

Also a dedicatated hacker doesnt do it to break things, they do it to get information and expose security risks.

Gogogo
05-07-2003, 10:04
Originally posted by Defiant
Well I know some hacker's and they don't bother with home user's. That's a no no to most of them out their

I think we are looking for the word indirect they are not a direct threat but indirect for reasons already stated by me.

Hackers+Spammers = ****

{FU}Fubar
05-07-2003, 10:05
you all should try Uplink............ great way to learn hacking ;).......... and as for hackers attacking home users ............. LMAO dont be so f-ing daft there is no reason for them hacking the average home user............. btw white rabbits that are actualy well known are legal hackers who get paid by companies to hack there system and then make it tighter ;) black hats go for big corps......... and script kiddies are the little sods that use aol and use stupid scripts and think their hacking :rolleyes:

Gogogo
05-07-2003, 10:18
{FU}Fubar

Are you another one who seems to think hackers are not a problem. There is no direct threat to home users fine, but and a big but is they screw up web sites and obtain information for spammers amongst others. That act is abuse they are a menace.

Hackers+Spammers = ****

{FU}Fubar
05-07-2003, 10:38
{FU}Fubar

Are you another one who seems to think hackers are not a problem. There is no direct threat to home users fine, but and a big but is they screw up web sites and obtain information for spammers amongst others. That act is abuse they are a menace.

Hackers+Spammers = ****

sorry mate there a problem to those who's websites they effect but nothing else..... they dont cause anyone actual pain nor do they cause them serious harm...... its a pc not life........... sorry but it only effects those who have no life......... btw im not going to tell you wich one of the three i am as i already know your opinion of all hackers........... you need to realise if there was no hackers pc security itself would be more of a shambles than it already is........ its hackers being it good or bad that make the security issues arise........

Gogogo
05-07-2003, 10:52
Originally posted by {FU}Fubar
sorry mate there a problem to those who's websites they effect but nothing else..... they dont cause anyone actual pain nor do they cause them serious harm...... its a pc not life........... sorry but it only effects those who have no life.........

Hacking is an anti-social activity nothing good about it at all. I enjoy a rich and marvellous life beyond my pc and I'm not very often on the net. Hackers cause harm to the Internet they are a menace. They weaken security systems, invade privacy and pass information to spammers.

Hackers+Spammers = ****

poolking
05-07-2003, 10:56
Hacking is an anti-social activity nothing good about it at all. I enjoy a rich and marvellous life beyond my pc and I'm not very often on the net. Hackers cause harm to the Internet they are a menace. They weaken security systems, invade privacy and pass information to spammers.

Hackers+Spammers = ****

Sorry m8, not all hackers have that mindset, a few of them hack merely to point out security weaknesses on company websites and then inform them about the lack of security.

And do you actually have any evidence that hackers pass information on to spammers?

Gogogo
05-07-2003, 12:53
1. Reading specs on please.

2. Hackers species: there are possibly varied types of hackers, most if not all are computer geeks who have nothing better to do with their lives;

a. those who wreck web sites for the shear fun of it

b. those who who use their skills to invade privacy and obtain confidential information

c. those who have a grudge agains Microsoft or other compainies and act with a view to wrecking and finding weaknesses.

3. Hacking is abuse of the Internet.

4. Regarding evidence: plenty of references to hackers gaining access to credit card details there have been recorded incidents in the past. It is also well-known that some hackers obtain identity details for spammers.

No way can you justify such activity by using excuses such as internet security interests using their own hackers, these may well be but a tiny minority engaged on legitimate business but only internet security companies can respond to that. What I am attacking is the existence of **** as mentioned above. Hackers are engaged in abusing the internet nothing heroic about them at all.

Now, I'm off to play some tennis.

Hackers+Spammers = ****

poolking
05-07-2003, 13:01
I'm not saying they are heroic, just stating that not all of them are there just to wreck things for the fun of it.

It seems you've made your mind up, so point in taking this argument further. :D

{FU}Fubar
05-07-2003, 13:40
personaly i dont see how hacking is abuse of the internet since the net has NO LAW and will NEVER have a LAW....... sorry but you have mde your mind up about somthing you quite clearly have no idea about......... you only want to see the negative side of things..... ahh well each to the own i say ... good day to you sir

kronas
05-07-2003, 13:49
personaly i dont see how hacking is abuse of the internet since the net has NO LAW and will NEVER have a LAW.......

wrong knowing the yanks they will try and regulate it............

Dave Stones
05-07-2003, 13:56
Originally posted by kronas
wrong knowing the yanks they will try and regulate it............

yeh, remember a couple of states are already trying to ban firewalls, or have done so they can see what people are doing... i forget which.

certainly will make life easier for the hackers and crackers out there...

:shrug:

Martin
05-07-2003, 15:48
Originally posted by Dave Stones
yeh, remember a couple of states are already trying to ban firewalls, or have done so they can see what people are doing... i forget which.

certainly will make life easier for the hackers and crackers out there...

:shrug:

My god thats plain crazy, if they ban people from pretecting themselves they will open themselves up to all kinds of trouble.:(

Xaccers
05-07-2003, 15:51
It also bans and OS that can do NATing such as linux and Windows

ic14
05-07-2003, 16:46
Originally posted by Xaccers
It also bans and OS that can do NATing such as linux and Windows
So will they ban routers as well?
They normally use NAT.

Xaccers
05-07-2003, 16:47
Anything that masks the origin of the traffic.

ic14
05-07-2003, 16:58
Typical ameracians...
And i know thats spelt wrong!

Dave Stones
05-07-2003, 17:17
texas is one of the states i believe... cant remember the other. maybe massachusetts i think. il have to look into this :p

Stuart
05-07-2003, 17:40

Hackers+Spammers = ****

Sorry, but I don't quite agree. Hackers aren't heros, but they are not all thieves and vandals either.

Saying all hackers are **** is like saying all men are b*s**rds. While you get some scrum who are hackers, and while some men are actually b*s**rds, it is not the case that all men are b*s**rds and it is not the case that all hackers are ****.

I know a few hackers, and they would never do anything illegal. They do just hack to learn their way around different computer systems.

The people this contest will attract are most likely to be script kiddies who just read about a security exploit someone else has discovered, and decided to try and use it.

Spammers, now that is a different matter. I do think they are ****..

Xaccers
05-07-2003, 17:40
i take it goverment institutions will be excempt from it

Dave Stones
05-07-2003, 17:52
lol most likely.

this whole idea of outlawing firewalls is unworkable though...

Xaccers
05-07-2003, 17:58
Since when has that stopped US Senators?
Wasn't there an urban myth about a group of college students who nearly got their senators to ban water?

Gogogo
05-07-2003, 17:59
personaly i dont see how hacking is abuse of the internet since the net has NO LAW and will NEVER have a LAW....... sorry but you have mde your mind up about somthing you quite clearly have no idea about......... you only want to see the negative side of things..... ahh well each to the own i say ... good day to you sir

Indeed I have made up my mind just as you have, I do have knowledge of the issue, my firewall constantly warns of intrusions of which perhaps few are likely to be if ever serious. You simply are ducking the heart of the matter.

Anyone who uses an ISP will have to agree terms & conditions of use and hacking is regarded as abuse, it's the only law at the moment as for the future well we will have to see. Negative maybe but that's the image hackers are generating, but as I wrote earlier there are varieties of hackers.

Dave Stones
05-07-2003, 18:09
Originally posted by Xaccers
Since when has that stopped US Senators?
Wasn't there an urban myth about a group of college students who nearly got their senators to ban water?

dunno... was there? obviously they wanted it banned because of the low sugar/fat/salt content :disturbd:

this was a long long time ago ( > 1 year) but still :rolleyes: http://www.vnunet.com/News/1132558

*worried
:nono: :nono: :Peace: :upyours: :2up: :grind: :batty:

Xaccers
05-07-2003, 18:13
Now that is a scary thought!

Chris
07-07-2003, 13:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3050746.stm

Looks like it fizzled out a bit ...