PDA

View Full Version : Why it is soooo important to get cour car serviced before its due mileage

Xaccers
04-07-2003, 18:08
I've got a lovely Laguna (called Sophie)
I've also got a lovely fiance (called Kirsten) who unfortunatly thought it would be a good idea to live near Grimsby (about 250 miles from where I live/work)
I'm the one doing all the driving, so my plan to do 12000 miles a year has gone to pot, and here I am 18 months after picking the car up and nearly done 60K

Anyway, with the high mileage I do, I've kinda been slightly (ok a couple of K) over my service interval (of 18K)
Now, the bearing in my turbo has broke and because I was lax, Renault arn't covering it fully by warrenty.
Dixon's up in Grimsby are going to see how much of a contribution Renault will make.
Worst case scenario though is I pay for it all.
New turbo is £1356 (excl labour and VAT)

Can you say ouch? :cry:

Alan Waddington
04-07-2003, 18:49
"Ouch"

:)

Chimaera
04-07-2003, 18:55
OMG! Ouch! :( :cry:
I sympathise as my partner is 196 miles up the M1!

Chris
04-07-2003, 18:57
Ouch!

I'll even wince for you .... there.

No smiley for that though.

Martin
04-07-2003, 19:52
Blimey thats bad.:( I think garage cost are scandalous anyway.

Ramrod
04-07-2003, 20:06
You named your car.....strange.....I call my car: The Car:confused:
How many others here have names for their cars, toasters etc.....?

Chimaera
04-07-2003, 20:17
Yes, my car's called Lily.
Before that Amy and Ruby :) :D
(Named by the daughters I hasten to add!)

Monkeyhanger
04-07-2003, 20:59
Originally posted by Xaccers
Anyway, with the high mileage I do, I've kinda been slightly (ok a couple of K) over my service interval (of 18K)

Exactly how far over ?

Most warranties have an allowance of 10 % of mileage or 30 days either side of the due date...

Check your small print.

SMHarman
04-07-2003, 22:47
Originally posted by Monkeyhanger
Exactly how far over ?

Most warranties have an allowance of 10 % of mileage or 30 days either side of the due date...

Check your small print.

Yes do and also check when you last got it serviced. If you were late before it could be a blessing as the I was informed on my SAAB one that the interval is actually 12,000 (+500 miles) miles since the last service or 12 months (+30 days) whichever is the sooner.

If you were late on the previous one you could be within the mileage stipulation. Make sure everyone realises that the car was dealer / book serviced up to this point.

If not start surfing the net you should be able to pick up a recon / second hand for a damn sight less.

My car broke down last week and Saab initally refused to replace the Catalyst under waranty (the engine was overfueling and sending unburnt fuel through the cat wrecking it). Sorted it out on the wty in the end, but a new cat from the dealer was £700 and you could get a second hand (genuine) one guaranteed to pass an MOT for £60 plus £60 fitting. Know which I would have bought.

If the garage fails, then call the waranty company yourself. Don't act aggressive and see where you get. I called them and actually found the wty co had mucked up the policies and I had the 4th and 5th year policies overlapping and the 5th year did not cover the cat but the 4th did (not applicable in your case though).

Good luck.

Martin
05-07-2003, 00:32
Originally posted by Ramrod
You named your car.....strange.....I call my car: The Car:confused:
How many others here have names for their cars, toasters etc.....?

A friend of mine used to always name her cars.;) Thought it was just her.