PDA

View Full Version : Modems (dial up!!!)

bigboab5
29-01-2004, 18:16
Hi guys,

just a wee quick question. I have noticed recently when mucking around in computers that there now seem to be 2 types of internal plug in modems. 1 - The good old standard PCI, I know of these and installed loads. 2 - The Riser type. What is this? why a new type? what is the difference (apart from the size of the socket!!!), I hope you guys can help sort out summit that has just been bugging me a wee bit... :shrug:

Thanks in anticipation

Bigboab5

paulyoung666
29-01-2004, 18:19
would it not still be a normal modem but plugged into a riser board :confused:

Mr_love_monkey
29-01-2004, 18:20
Hi guys,

just a wee quick question. I have noticed recently when mucking around in computers that there now seem to be 2 types of internal plug in modems. 1 - The good old standard PCI, I know of these and installed loads. 2 - The Riser type. What is this? why a new type? what is the difference (apart from the size of the socket!!!), I hope you guys can help sort out summit that has just been bugging me a wee bit... :shrug:

Thanks in anticipation

Bigboab5

basically from what I remember, the modem riser is for a card that has no onboard processing power itself, so it's cheap, but uses a chunk of cpu time.

This (http://www.pcmech.com/show/modems/10/) probably explains it better than I do

Stuartbe
29-01-2004, 18:23
basically from what I remember, the modem riser is for a card that has no onboard processing power itself, so it's cheap, but uses a chunk of cpu time.

This (http://www.pcmech.com/show/modems/10/) probably explains it better than I do
Bang on - they are software modems and are usualy treated as multimedia devices......Avoid at all costs.

Its a shame you cant get them anymore but the old ISA modems used to be gr8 as they were allways hardware.

Use an external modem if possible....

bigboab5
29-01-2004, 18:27

Thank you monkey, that has answered my question. It was purley outa curiosity and nuffin else ty guys for yer answers. Appreciated.

Bigboab5

MadGamer
30-01-2004, 20:31
Thank you monkey, that has answered my question. It was purley outa curiosity and nuffin else ty guys for yer answers. Appreciated.

Bigboab5 People are helpful here with their knowledge. Espcially Sociable. :D

Flubflow
30-01-2004, 20:47
I used to have a 56k USB modem ("winmodem" software type rather than all hardware) that was so bad that on my old PII-450 it used to disconnect whenever you ran something that used a lot of CPU resources (which always happened when there was any embedded media especially Quicktime in a webpage). My previous Pace 33k modem was always rock solid. I still have the crappy winmodem installed just for fax purposes but it is even poo at that because for some reason it just won't autoanswer.

Stuartbe
30-01-2004, 20:53
I used to have a 56k USB modem ("winmodem" software type rather than all hardware) that was so bad that on my old PII-450 it used to disconnect whenever you ran something that used a lot of CPU resources (which always happened when there was any embedded media especially Quicktime in a webpage). My previous Pace 33k modem was always rock solid. I still have the crappy winmodem installed just for fax purposes but it is even poo at that because for some reason it just won't autoanswer.

I know what you mean.... They are about as usefull as a durex machine in the Vatiken :D