PDA

View Full Version : Muslim celebration next week?

Caspar
29-01-2004, 09:20
Out of interest, does anyone know what celebration is on next week. I know two muslims who are booking the whole week off work...

Nugget
29-01-2004, 09:32
As far as I know, it's Eid (I don't know anything about it other than it's celebrated after Ramadhan).

Caspar
29-01-2004, 09:56
It's annoying cause the company has a policy of only one person off at the same time, within their dept. But because of their celebration they are both allowed to have it off. Fair dos, but it's a nightmare on cover and also I would feel discriminated against for not being muslim when it comes to the amount of holidays they have.

I think we should try and pass a law that officials a national NTHW day, to celebrate all things NTHW and to worship the pheonix rising ;) :D :p :)

bopdude
29-01-2004, 10:00
Out of interest, does anyone know what celebration is on next week. I know two muslims who are booking the whole week off work...
Looking at this (http://www.polota.com/muslim.htm) its the feast of sacrifice, apologies to any muslims if its wrong :D

Nugget
29-01-2004, 10:01
I think we should try and pass a law that officials a national NTHW day, to celebrate all things NTHW and to worship the pheonix rising ;) :D :p :)
Get's my vote :) :)

Caspar
29-01-2004, 10:07
Looking at this (http://www.polota.com/muslim.htm) its the feast of sacrifice, apologies to any muslims if its wrong :D

hiya bopdude :D (long time, still up for an arm wrestle rematch?!)

Now I'm confused... that site says the celebration is on the 11th Feb...so why are they having next week off.

edit: just noticed that that's 2003 listing...mmm :)

bopdude
29-01-2004, 10:10
hiya bopdude :D (long time, still up for an arm wrestle rematch?!)

Now I'm confused... that site says the celebration is on the 11th Feb...so why are they having next week off.

edit: just noticed that that's 2003 listing...mmm :)
I'll give it a go...lol, sorry i did not pick up on the year thing also, it says somewhere that the dates can change also for a muslim holiday :D

Caspar
29-01-2004, 10:14
yeah they are based on the moon cycles, dawn to dusk etc...

Ramrod
29-01-2004, 10:55
Hi Bop. btw...your pm's are turned off :wavey:

handyman
29-01-2004, 15:30
Hi Bop. btw...your pm's are turned off :wavey:

Thanks m8y, cant do a thing about it at the moment as i seem to be blocked :(

BOPDUDE on hm's login

kronas
29-01-2004, 15:39

WTF EID is on sunday and thats it, unless i missed something :confused:

Enterian
29-01-2004, 15:42
Presumably if all the Christians want to take Christmas week off, that's okay then.................... not where I work!

Russ
29-01-2004, 15:45
Presumably if all the Christians want to take Christmas week off, that's okay then.................... not where I work!

Don't be so silly!! It's not as if we are allowed any respect for our celebrations now is it???

Ramrod
29-01-2004, 15:56
WTF EID is on sunday and thats it, unless i missed something :confused:
According to my afternoon receptionist today, who is a muslim, eid is sunday and monday

Ramrod
29-01-2004, 15:56
Thanks m8y, cant do a thing about it at the moment as i seem to be blocked :(

BOPDUDE on hm's loginPresumably you have pm'd a mod....

kronas
29-01-2004, 16:06
According to my afternoon receptionist today, who is a muslim, eid is sunday and monday

ah yes my bad, i forgot due to the diffarent interpritations of the sightings of the moon, it will be either of the 2 days for some.

Russ
29-01-2004, 16:08
Kronny please can you stop posting sensible, intelligent comments about religion - it doesn't suit you :D

Ramrod
29-01-2004, 16:18
Right the (definitive) answer....probably :D
Eid is either on sunday or monday depending on what 'faction' the muslim belongs to. There are other lesser festivals during next week that some observe and others don't. Apparently eid occurs twice a year, the one after ramadan and this one.
So there you are :)

kronas
29-01-2004, 16:19
Kronny please can you stop posting sensible, intelligent comments about religion - it doesn't suit you :D

are you trying to say im not intelligent or sensible :mad: :Peace:

and no i wont :D

Apparently eid occurs twice a year, the one after ramadan and this one.
So there you are :)

you are correct, it does happen twice a year, two christmases LOL :D

Ramrod
29-01-2004, 16:26
you are correct, it does happen twice a year, two christmases LOL :DAre you muslim?

kronas
29-01-2004, 16:29
Are you muslim?

i am in the sense that i am muslim by nature, ie my parents are from a part of asia, although not a true muslim due to my beliefs :)

Russ
29-01-2004, 16:30
Or lack of?

kronas
29-01-2004, 16:33
Or lack of?

you can say that russ thats true, but im not shy to admit either that i am a muslim, and hold no religious beliefs.

many have 'gasped' at both. :D

Russ
29-01-2004, 16:36
OK I'm confused, I thought Muslims were a religious group, that you either were or weren't :confused:

kronas
29-01-2004, 16:41
OK I'm confused, I thought Muslims were a religious group, that you either were or weren't :confused:

AFAIK you are a muslim if you were born with a prayer said in your ear at birth, also having parents as muslims makes you a sort of disgrace if you dont follow it, having said that i class myself as 'english/british' because i have no need to pledge support for another country which i wasent even born in.

and the fact that i live predominantly the english way.

Russ
29-01-2004, 16:45
So it's one of those religions where it's put in to you as a child and you don't get a say in it......

Hmmm......

kronas
29-01-2004, 16:50
So it's one of those religions where it's put in to you as a child and you don't get a say in it......

yes bascailly that is it, although i believe in making your own mind up when it comes to making decisions that affect your life/lifestyle.

Russ
29-01-2004, 16:51
yes bascailly that is it, although i believe in making your own mind up when it comes to making decisions that affect your life/lifestyle.

Absolutely, that's one of the reasons I walked away from Catholicism.

kronas
29-01-2004, 17:03
Absolutely, that's one of the reasons I walked away from Catholicism.

you cannot 'buy' in to something you dont think is right.

having said that i will always argue about religion, but you cannot stop anyone from believing in it IMO thats wrong of me and i would never do that, but one thing that bothers me, is an imposing concept that Islam generates in trying to convert anyone

zoombini
30-01-2004, 08:48
:notopic: Is this going to revert to "another" thread about religion again? :rofl:

Caspar
30-01-2004, 09:18
So what's Islam then?

Muslim, as above and Islam is the religion? :confused: