PDA

View Full Version : how to use another proxy other than NTLs

th'engineer
24-01-2004, 09:46
Can anyone let us all know if this is possible, if you are proxied surely you have a choice other than NTL.

If you specify a non ntl proxy will it work could you use your own pc as the proxy

NOTE to mods in general because it effects dial up as well

Mark W
24-01-2004, 10:01
i doubt it - i know for a fact having a freeserve proxy will stop yer connection dead....

MetaWraith
24-01-2004, 12:32
ahem, while it's quite correct that proxies can be tied down to customers only by certain methods, eg say a particular group of IP addresses there are also publically available free proxies out there. just dont type in any sensitive info eg passwords and such that you wouldnt want compromised.

for such a list of proxies try here.
http://www.samair.ru/proxy/14.htm

dont forget to use a reliable DNS too.

oh and with www.myie2.com as a wrapper for IE you can setup a whole of proxies and change the active one at at mouse click and not need to close and restart the browser.

Paul
24-01-2004, 14:30
You can use any proxy that allows you access - I often used to use BT's but I'm not sure if this is still available. I have my own set up now that I switch to if NTL's fail me.

rodd
24-01-2004, 16:23
Another proxy source.
http://www.atomintersoft.com/products/alive-proxy/proxy-list/

th'engineer
24-01-2004, 16:47
You can use any proxy that allows you access - I often used to use BT's but I'm not sure if this is still available. I have my own set up now that I switch to if NTL's fail me.
Enlighten us how to do that PEM:D

Paul
24-01-2004, 16:50
Enlighten us how to do that PEM:D
Which bit are you referring to, changing proxy or running your own ?

Frank
24-01-2004, 16:56
Enlighten us how to do that PEM:DWell some info is here:

http://www.ntli.info/index.php?page=index_v2&id=12&c=8
http://www.ntli.info/index.php?page=index_v2&id=11&c=10

To find out if a proxy works just enter it in IE with the correct port. If you it loads at all, and you happy with the speed then great. If it doesn't work at all, you can assume it is either dead or is not open (i.e. you don't have access), in which case you find another one :)

th'engineer
26-01-2004, 17:49
Which bit are you referring to, changing proxy or running your own ?
Running your Own
Help

Paul
26-01-2004, 18:15
Well first of all you need access to a server on a non ntl network to run the proxy software - then you just install the software, configure it and point your IE at it. :)

I have several servers - all run Winroute Pro firewall software which also has built in proxy facilities. I know a number of people who banded together to rent a dedicated server in a London data centre and use that.

asdf
27-01-2004, 00:38
:lol: I hope it's not my London server you're talking about, nah that would be too freaky.

Do you find WinRoute's proxy server any good? I must admit I've not used it since around version 4.1 but it was quite bad for updated pages then.

Paul
27-01-2004, 01:51
:lol: I hope it's not my London server you're talking about, nah that would be too freaky.

Do you find WinRoute's proxy server any good? I must admit I've not used it since around version 4.1 but it was quite bad for updated pages then.

It's not brilliant and I had to turn caching off - but it does for the odd times NTL lets me down. If I was going to use it more often I would install some proper proxy software - winroute being left to do what it does best - be a firewall. (btw, I have also played with it as a mail server, again, it works, but .......).

asdf
27-01-2004, 14:50
Yeh, the mail server was okay for me when I just had WinRoute and was still using another account for mail. But now that I'm out more than in I really love that mdaemon does it's whole IMAP webmail business.

Definately great to have a read message read when I log in to my machine, my laptop or at another location and all my folders too.

WinRoute does it's firewall/routing very well, though :D