PDA

View Full Version : yikes

super2
20-01-2004, 20:47
OOOO god, I rang the call centre in SE Asia and tried to cancel my account (BT line dialup @£15 24/7 internet plus those phone calls over and above the £15).. "Calvin" told me that I would have to pay up to October 2004 as cancellation of NTL attracts a "punishment". Even though I was an NTL customer before NTL freedom existed apparently my new contract started in October 2002 and has kept rolling on..
To top this, he asked for my BT telephone number and then quoted my account number followed by my security word!!! Yikes

Bottom line is that I have had ADSL from another company for a while and am fed up with NTL spam.. usually 140 a day. Do I really have to pay up till October 2004?
Andrew

Xaccers
20-01-2004, 20:52
I don't think they have any contracts for more than 12 months lock in...

super2
20-01-2004, 21:15
I don't think they have any contracts for more than 12 months lock in...

That sounds right but somehow I feel a bit apprehensive that by taking on NTLFreedom they might have changed to a "rolling" contract or something else. I will find out tommorrow when I get my contract sent to me from Calvin. All this must be due to the introduction of NTLFreedom taking over from the scheme before. I must have been with NTL since the original £15 deal started. I bet the contract does not appear..-or I`ll eat my laptop-

I can`t for the life of me remember what the scheme before NTLfreedom was called. Anyone remember?

Andrew

gavnad
20-01-2004, 22:49
i would be surprised neigh amazed if the contract would bind you till october 2004 i've not heard of "any" changes in regards to this

MovedGoalPosts
20-01-2004, 23:08
I think this is a clear demonstration of why call centres abroad do not work and customer service suffers (on the other hand if the many posts on this site are to be believed, ntl's customer service was already appalling).

However the terms and conditions of service on the ntlworld.com site are very clear (and in the absence of ntl having sent you anythng to override these it would be reasonable to expect them to be current). They state:

3. Duration

3.1 For our Starter Pack the minimum period of service is 12 months starting on the date We activate the Services. You can only terminate this Agreement during that minimum period if clauses 19.4 or 20.1 apply otherwise We may charge You a cancellation charge which will be the charges which would have been payable to the end of the minimum period. After the minimum period, either You or Us may terminate this Agreement on one month's written notice.

3.2 For all additional Services (unless otherwise stated in our Price Lists) the minimum period of service is one month and either You or Us may terminate this Agreement to the extent that it relates to such Services on one month's written notice.

I think it is quite clear from this, and that you have had ntl services for many months, that you only need give one month's notice.

Perhaps start by cancelling any Direct Debits and Standing orders so you have control over the situation rather than trying to get money back from ntl which would be a more difficult prospect.

Marge
21-01-2004, 02:01
I've never heard of any contract that is longer than the 12 month period, perhaps "Calvin" should stick to selling grundies :erm:

super2
22-01-2004, 21:30
I've never heard of any contract that is longer than the 12 month period, perhaps "Calvin" should stick to selling grundies :erm:

I am being honest.. I couldn`t care less where the call centre is. But it always helps if employees are understandable and told the truth. Calvin told me he would email the contract to me within 24hours.. I said on this forum I`d be eating my laptop if he did. I don`t need to get out my knife and fork yet and I bet I never will.

If I cancel my direct debit will NTL automatically throw lawyers at me? I have heard scare stories and my credit rating is currently healthy. Should I ring again and record the call? How much evidence do I need to cover my exit without NTL getting heavy?

Am I getting bogged down with all this... and just disconnect the dialler now, cancel at the bank tmmrw and tape record a call to customer service saying that they can bill me by post up and till the end of next month..?

Thanks for the input everyone. I just want an easy out solution, but the customer service people seem to just want to sell me broadband and avoid pulling the plug.

Andrew

danielf
22-01-2004, 23:59
Why don't you just give them another ring? The whole story sounds very odd. Just ring and try to cancel, and if they give you the same story ask for the contract to be sent to you again. You may just have spoken to someone who didn't know what he was talking about?

zendawn
23-01-2004, 03:45
Why don't you just give them another ring? The whole story sounds very odd. Just ring and try to cancel, and if they give you the same story ask for the contract to be sent to you again. You may just have spoken to someone who didn't know what he was talking about?

This NTL:Freedom package sounds nothing but trouble, should be called NTL:Prison from what ive heard about it.

As for phoning a call centre in India, surely one of the UK Call centers could help???

Marge
23-01-2004, 03:50
It's an 0845 number for ntl freedom but have to say not sure where the calls end up :shrug:

Mr Concerned
26-01-2004, 02:14
... either You or Us may terminate ...Is this really the standard of English that ntl:'s legal department offers?

steve5424
26-01-2004, 02:17
It's an 0845 number for ntl freedom but have to say not sure where the calls end up :shrug:
they have changed the number to 0808 200 0000. They seem to be based in India.