PDA

View Full Version : Most hated professions

Russ
17-01-2004, 09:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3405295.stm

Interestingly the survey was by Horlicks, who's customers are mainly women, and you can tell this by the types listed in the 'admired professions'...."rugby players" (sporty men)....."firefighters, police officers, ambulance drivers" (men in uniform)....."care assistants, nurses" (caring men) :D

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 10:06
The list is deficient, council planning officials arn't on it. :afire:

luftys
17-01-2004, 11:58
And in second place in the list of most admired profession is rescue volunteers, followed by nurses, vets, teachers, ambulance drivers, firefighters, care assistants, rugby players and police officers

Teachers :banghead:

Theodoric
17-01-2004, 13:56
And in second place in the list of most admired profession is rescue volunteers, followed by nurses, vets, teachers, ambulance drivers, firefighters, care assistants, rugby players and police officers

Teachers :banghead:
Interesting how the word 'profession' has changed to simply mean any type of job. Originally, there were only about 3 professions, namely, IIRC, lawyers (and, presumably, solicitors), the clergy and the medical profession.

In a similar fasion, 'doing your job professionally' now seems to mean 'anything above doing your job incompetently'.

However, even by the modern definition, I'd argue that, by its very definition, 'volunteer rescuing' cannot be called a profession.

Popeye
17-01-2004, 14:04
those ambulance chasing solicitors
must rank fairly high on the obnoxious list
I would have thought :afire:

Atomic22
17-01-2004, 18:17
teachers should be on the obnoxious list.......they spend half the year on holiday and the other half moaning they dont get paid enough......why should they have so many holidays?.....anyone any ideas?
and dont say they spend all their holidays marking pupils work.....:nono:

Theodoric
17-01-2004, 18:34
those ambulance chasing solicitors
must rank fairly high on the obnoxious list
I would have thought :afire:
I can picture it now, this solicitor hobbling after a disappearing ambulance and yelling, "Come back! My ankle's twisted! I need to get to a hospital! I'll sue you if you don't stop!" :)

Gogogo
17-01-2004, 18:46
teachers should be on the obnoxious list.......they spend half the year on holiday and the other half moaning they dont get paid enough......why should they have so many holidays?.....anyone any ideas?

:rofl: I suspect you dislike teachers. I teach at an FE college. Seriously, teaching is not what you imagine, it's hard work. Half-year holidays, never heard of it, can you direct me to where as a teacher I can have six months holiday a year, apparently you imagine we spend half the year moaning, frankly, I never get the chance to moan, too busy preparing lessons, marking, dealing with inefficient managers, dealing with mountains of paper and telephone calls from parents and telephone calls to parents. Add to this we are the most heavily monitored profession. Think on this: every successful professional was taught by a teacher(s).

When I do have holidays, I'm updating and preparing for future coursework and can only have a holiday when my wife, works in the caring profession, gets a chance for leave.

luftys
17-01-2004, 18:57
But some of them only work 5hours 20 mins a day :eek:

Julian
17-01-2004, 19:11
Incog will be here soon no doubt - then you'll wish you hadn't said those things about teachers. :eek: ;)

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 19:22
Incog will be here soon no doubt - then you'll wish you hadn't said those things about teachers. :eek: ;) :rofl:

homealone
17-01-2004, 19:23
But some of them only work 5hours 20 mins a day :eek:

some of them are only 'face to face' teaching, for 5 hours 20 minutes a day.

They also have to do lesson preparation, marking, put up displays, do parents evenings, school plays, discos, supervise after school activities, go on school trips, maintain records, staff meetings......etc

On a typical day, my wife - who is a teacher, gets to school at about 7.45am & leaves about 5.00pm - on parents evening, for example she might not get away until 7.30pm.

I'll concede that the 13 weeks holiday a year is not comparable with other jobs norm of 4 to 5 weeks (The long summer holiday afaik was originally so children could help with the harvest) - but I don't agree they work any less hours.:)

Nor
17-01-2004, 19:26
Think teachers are one of the professions we should respect the most.

Surprised lawyers weren't on the list. Also it just goes to show how stupid folk are these days if reality show contestants is a profession all of a sudden.

Atomic22
17-01-2004, 19:43
hehehe i was only jesting about teachers being obnoxious ,i love them really........
however the family of two teachers and two kids from wales i met in the south of france this year who told me they were on there "usual" six week caravanning tour around europe makes me wish teachers had the same amount of holidays as the rest of us.......:waving:

Sociable
17-01-2004, 20:06
Surprised not to see "Social Workers" on the hate list. :)

You all know the joke about the difference between us and Rotwielers?

You get your child back from the Rotwieler.

(Apology to any that take offense as both situations are tragic when they happen for real. I just wanted to show we can see the funny side of our reputation)

musician22902
13-04-2009, 21:49
Where's the list?

Russ
13-04-2009, 21:50
It's in the first post.....from 5 years ago.....

musician22902
13-04-2009, 22:06
Ah, thanks. Was wondering if I'd see "Theatre people"