Am going to Amsterdam in March
(4 of us)

anybody got any suggestions for a hotel
to stay in?

looking for something like a 3/4 star
fairly central

Marge
16-01-2004, 20:13
Not sure of anywhere to stay but I'm sure you'll have a GOOD time. My friend and I went last year and it sure was an eye-opener, young ladies tapping on the window at us and some very dodgy looking characters :erm: Watch out for canals and bikes though if you've had several lager shandies :drunk:

paulyoung666
16-01-2004, 20:19
Not sure of anywhere to stay but I'm sure you'll have a GOOD time. My friend and I went last year and it sure was an eye-opener, young ladies tapping on the window at us and some very dodgy looking characters :erm: Watch out for canals and bikes though if you've had several lager shandies :drunk:

ladies tapping on the window at you :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Marge
16-01-2004, 20:22
ladies tapping on the window at you :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yep me and my friend bb31 who is a girly :erm:

Not sure what that was all about but happened quite a few times :shrug:

pujro
16-01-2004, 20:30
this is worth a look.. http://www.amsterdamhotels.com

Popeye
16-01-2004, 22:00
booked it now on the net!

the Golden Tulip in the centre of Amsterdam
4*
£511 between 4 of us for 3 nights

opted for the 'excecutive' rooms with enhanced baths and so on

Charlie_Bubble
16-01-2004, 22:18
Was in amsterdam on business late last year. Stayed at the Tulip Inn on Dam Square. Very central. Within 5 minute walk of the red light district if that's yer aim! ;)

Popeye
16-01-2004, 22:20
Was in amsterdam on business late last year. Stayed at the Tulip Inn on Dam Square. Very central. Within 5 minute walk of the red light district if that's yer aim! ;)

that's the same one I think

what did you think of the hotel?

danielf
16-01-2004, 22:28

4*

Pushing the boat out eh? Hope you have a great time! Do you need any other tips?

Edit: Ah, well, I'll volunteer one. For an authentic beer drinking experience, try this place (http://www.wguides.com/city/12/126_46643.cfm). Not far from where you are staying. Housed in an old distillery (the pub has probably been there for a century or more) , a wiiiiide selection of beers from all over the world, and really friendly staff. Popular with the locals, a real taste of Amsterdam...

Charlie_Bubble
16-01-2004, 22:36
Well, I went during the week that turned out to be some massive worldwide multimedia festival. So hotels were hard to come by, but I chose it over others as it was in the centre and so I would have something to do in the evenings. the alternatives were all out near the airport.

If it's the same one, it's a fairly small hotel, but pretty good. The staff are very nice and friendly. There is a small bar in the foyer, but why bother when outside is Amsterdam centre. It's down a smallish sidestreet, but only about 30 - 35 metres from the main street. Plenty of small coffee shops down the street.

Get the train from the airport. It's very cheap. About 3 euros to get from the airport into the centre. There are some nice places to eat. I recommend the Argentinian steaks they all seem to sell. Fantastic. Avoid the pizzas though, not up to much really. Beer is fairly expensive there considering Heineken is made there. You'll have a lot of fun though, it's got a very cool, relaxed atmosphere to it.

Things to avoid, the million little African geezers stood on every street corner selling every high you could imagine and dark alleys.

Flubflow
16-01-2004, 22:43

4*

Good deal.
You didn't fancy "Madame Slappers Hotel" with their "all you can eat for 20euros" offer then? ;)

Marge
16-01-2004, 22:54
Enjoy the coffeeshops ;)

Popeye
16-01-2004, 23:52
Pushing the boat out eh? Hope you have a great time! Do you need any other tips?

Edit: Ah, well, I'll volunteer one. .

cheers for that

yeah - decided that a bit of luxury was what was wanted
was a bit niffed breakfast wasn't included - but there you are
had booked it before I realised

will give that beer place a go if given the chance

luftys
17-01-2004, 00:12
Dont forget the window shopping :naughty: that is the best :rofl:

danielf
17-01-2004, 00:20
cheers for that

Dinner wise by the way, if you like tapas, may I recommend pata negra (http://www.wguides.com/city/12/137_25207.cfm), off Rembrandt Square. Get there early (before 7), or book ahead, but don't expect to get a table for four. You may get 4 seats at a table for ten ;), but that's part of the charm. It might be a nice change from all that luxury ;) Seriously, the food is really good ;)

Marge
17-01-2004, 00:23
Dinner wise by the way, if you like tapas, may I recommend pata negra (http://www.wguides.com/city/12/137_25207.cfm), off Rembrandt Square. Get there early (before 7), or book ahead, but don't expect to get a table for four. You may get 4 seats at a table for ten ;), but that's part of the charm. It might be a nice change from all that luxury ;) Seriously, the food is really good ;)

Yeah we had some home made tomato soup and sandwich at a little cafe, was really nice. However the toilets were upstairs and I feel some experience in mountaineering would come in useful :erm: I swear they were almost vertical

Charlie_Bubble
17-01-2004, 00:25
cheers for that

They do breakfast. I never went down for it, don't eat breakfast. It's a european special though, ie no full english!

Atomic22
18-01-2004, 19:08
Enjoy the coffeeshops ;)
hehehe upstairs at the bulldog bars takes some beating:smokin::nono:

hoggyspuds
18-01-2004, 19:17
A word of advice. If you intend to go anywhere near the red light district, take cash only.....leave any cards at your hotel. I was the victim of what the local police called "organised crime". Basically I was mugged for my wallet. 2 people involved. one offered me drugs, then pushed me when I said no. The other caught me from falling, swiped my wallet........all over in 30 secs. Apart from that, Amsterdam is a great city!!