PDA

View Full Version : Freebies?

nevets
03-07-2003, 09:36
A thread was posted on 22nd June 2003 by Rich I think.

The content was that NTL were giving away freebies for disgruntled customers. I have suffered like every NTL customer with BB problems, having to reboot my box every day, etc.
I migrated from analogue in September 2002 so my half price Family pack is due up in 2 months.
Any ideas as to how I can extend my deal, or better still receive a better one please?

Regards
Mr Hopeful.

MovedGoalPosts
03-07-2003, 11:54
From what I've gathered making serious threats to customers services to cancel your account will often prompt either customer services themselves, or a "retentions officer" who might subsequently contact you to "make you an offer". How good that offer is, and how much brinkmanship you want to get into must be for you to decide.

At the end of the day ntl do have offers in an attempt to reduce their churn rates, but I suspect they dont want to make such offers too public for obvious reasons. Many deals are likely to be similar to those that would be available if you sign up now i.e. get 600k BB and you can have unlimited phone talktime, or whatever.

The crux of the matter, as ever should be the quality of service you receive. If it is effectively unuseable because of the frequent repetetive faults with connection, you should be forcefully complaining, in writing (email is acceptable communication with ntl according to their t&cs). Be specific with details of the problems and when they occurred, how often you have complained, whaat has or has not been done. If you can demonstrate that the service is below a reasonable standard, bearing in mind that ntl in their t&cs dont guarantee perfection, you are demonstrating their breach of contract. At worst you should be enabled to claim some sort of refund. At best you might even be entitled to damages (or as ntl would descirbe it, a goodwill payment).

Jamie
03-07-2003, 18:35
Originally posted by nevets
A thread was posted on 22nd June 2003 by Rich I think.

The content was that NTL were giving away freebies for disgruntled customers. I have suffered like every NTL customer with BB problems, having to reboot my box every day, etc.
I migrated from analogue in September 2002 so my half price Family pack is due up in 2 months.
Any ideas as to how I can extend my deal, or better still receive a better one please?

Regards
Mr Hopeful.
They will know you have had a good deal for a year - which you have had - and probably tell you to f00k off nevets. They don't mind giving freebies but when customers get greedy they show them the door:)

nevets
04-07-2003, 19:08
That is not very pleasent, suggesting that I am greedy.
All I want to do is exercise my right as a customer to receive the best deal I can, without being abusive to anybody.
If NTL are offering any deals to any of their customers, and I can receive a deal that I am happy with, I do not see that as greedy.
Is this a record on your forum? The second reply to a question being disrespectful.
I await your reply, please try and be constructive, without swearing if possible

nevets
05-07-2003, 08:49
Thanks for your advice, but I am only a meek and very mild man. I am not sure if this approach would be my forteOriginally posted by MovedGoalPosts
From what I've gathered making serious threats to customers services to cancel your account will often prompt either customer services themselves, or a "retentions officer" who might subsequently contact you to "make you an offer". How good that offer is, and how much brinkmanship you want to get into must be for you to decide.

At the end of the day ntl do have offers in an attempt to reduce their churn rates, but I suspect they dont want to make such offers too public for obvious reasons. Many deals are likely to be similar to those that would be available if you sign up now i.e. get 600k BB and you can have unlimited phone talktime, or whatever.

The crux of the matter, as ever should be the quality of service you receive. If it is effectively unuseable because of the frequent repetetive faults with connection, you should be forcefully complaining, in writing (email is acceptable communication with ntl according to their t&cs). Be specific with details of the problems and when they occurred, how often you have complained, whaat has or has not been done. If you can demonstrate that the service is below a reasonable standard, bearing in mind that ntl in their t&cs dont guarantee perfection, you are demonstrating their breach of contract. At worst you should be enabled to claim some sort of refund. At best you might even be entitled to damages (or as ntl would descirbe it, a goodwill payment).

nevets
05-07-2003, 08:58
Thank you for warm welcome to the site, I hope I will be around long enough to contribute to the site. You said in your reply there were other options for me to consider, can you give me some details of the ones you would recommend? Originally posted by Andre
Excercise your consumer power and walk to another supplier if you're unhappy with the service, ntl no longer have a monopoly on broadband with so many exchanges being upgraded for ADSL these days.

Welcome to the site by the way. :)

nevets
05-07-2003, 09:36
Thanks for all that information. While I am at the computer I will get on it straight away.
I will let you know if I have any success.

Ta!!

bigitup_j
05-07-2003, 10:56
i had a moan to ntl about the 150k price increase, and the fact that i was on a contract for 12 months. so they gave me £18 credit on my bill, for the 6months that i would HAVE to pay for the increase.
ntl are good people.

nevets
05-07-2003, 14:26
Thanks for that. Like yourself I am locked into a contract for twelve months on BB, so had no choice but to pay the increase.
I will give them a call, nothing ventured nothing gained.
What do you think of your 150k BB??

bigitup_j
05-07-2003, 14:37
i think it is very good. i have it through the stb, so i get 256k speeds! would never go back to dial-up, ever.

nevets
05-07-2003, 18:55
Sorry to bother you again. From somebody new to all this, when you say you have your BB through your STB and you receive 256k, what do you mean by that?
I too have my BB through my STB but I was under the impression it was only 150k. HOW??

nevets
06-07-2003, 09:34
Thanks Andre for that information, I will speak to them on Monday.
On the technical info you supplied, I was in a Cable & Wireless area before NTL took over, so I might have been the recipient of faster downloads without my knowledge.

bigitup_j
06-07-2003, 09:44
i don't see why ntl just put the speed of 150k to 256k. to make it fair for all customers and to get the asa (advertising people) off their back.