PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Incoming Call Alert PC Software

carlingman
15-01-2004, 22:49
Howdys all,

Happy New Year.

Sorry about the vague Thread Title.

Basically being a Music Junkee while on the PC with Music constantly blaring out from the surround speakers I have encountered a problem.

Wherever I seem to place the DECT Digital Cordless Phone the PC speaker volume for the music far outweighs the ring tone volume on the phone, unlike my mobile which at the times is kept on my PC Desk and vibrates across the desk when this rings.

The problem I have though is without updating to a new DECT Phone with a vibrate option I am looking for alternatives preferrably the cheaper the better.

At the risk of trying to salvage my relationship as the Misses is getting a tad bit ****ed off answering the phone downstairs and having to trek upstairs and wack me across the head to tell me there is a phone call etc.

Is there I ask any software that can link from me phone line into the PC to flash up a POP UP or Alert on the PC or even overide the speaker volume when an incoming call comes through on the landline.

I realise there must DECT Digital phones with a vibrate option but due to cost am trying to avoid that but am stumped up to now and may have to resort to that in an attempt to keep the misses happy.

I guess turning the music volume down might be an option but the excuse to the misses of its good excercise for her is wearing a bit thin now :D

Any ideas ???

:)

Stuartbe
15-01-2004, 22:58
If you have a phone point in your room then you can buy ringers that have a strobe light and loud sounder. There is software around that will give you a warning when the phone rings via the modem but this is usualy fax/answerphone software and will want to answer the phone- you will have to stop it.

If you dont have a socket in the room then there is a way of doing this by detecting the rf when the phone transmits (like when it rings) This method would need a custom circuit for the job and electrical component knowledge. I would be happy to draw up a circuit diagram for you if you wish.

HTH

carlingman
15-01-2004, 23:10
If you have a phone point in your room then you can buy ringers that have a strobe light and loud sounder. There is software around that will give you a warning when the phone rings via the modem but this is usualy fax/answerphone software and will want to answer the phone- you will have to stop it.

If you dont have a socket in the room then there is a way of doing this by detecting the rf when the phone transmits (like when it rings) This method would need a custom circuit for the job and electrical component knowledge. I would be happy to draw up a circuit diagram for you if you wish.

HTH

Thanks Stuart.

Bit more info on the set up.

I have one main phone socket on the wall downstairs, into that is plugged a dual splitter, one used for my DECT Base Unit, the other one runs an extension lead upstairs and into that is plugged an ADSL filter for Pipex which connects my ADSL modem.

I usually dont mess with Electrics that much but the RF signal looks like a viable solution or maybe to save the misses I should just put me hand in me pocket for a DECT phone with a vibrate alert.

Thanks for the prompt reply and your advice though much appreciated.

:)

DrAwesome
16-01-2004, 01:22
wouldnt an intercom be cheaper then your better half can just page you when theres a call, i have a dect with 3 handsets & at the same time i can page the base & all three handsets.

there are cheap as chips from argos

Shaun
16-01-2004, 01:38
If you have a normal modem in your PC you can hook that up to the phone line in your computer room (split the ADSL) and then run the fax wizard in XP (you are using XP aren't you??). When the phone rings a message "bubble" appears in the notification area telling you the phones ringing, and asks if you want the computer to get it in case it's a fax ;)

SMHarman
16-01-2004, 11:08
Those gadgets you can put on an old mobile phone around the aerial should also work on DECT. They flashed when the phone rang. They were big in Japan...

altis
16-01-2004, 11:23
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc_images/cpc2004/size3/TE03549-01.jpg (http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/search.asp?keyword=TE03549)

:D

Or also try TE03539, TE03559, TE03550, TEFLASH, TE03956 or even...

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc_images/cpc2004/size3/TE04415-01.jpg (http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/search.asp?keyword=TE04415)

carlingman
19-01-2004, 01:13
A big thanks to one and all for all the advice offered.

I have you will be pleased to hear found a solution and no it did not end in me buying the misses a pair of slippers etc.

After reading the manual supplied with me DECT Digital phones i realised you can also turn the volume up on the phone handset as well as the base unit so regardless of the music volume on the PC the DECT handset ringer volume is now loud enough so i can hear it.

Originally i was only turning the base unit volume up and deafening the misses downstairs where the base unit was not realising the hand set volume could be cranked up as well - doh.

Thanks again for all the advice but the problem is now sorted.

:D