PDA

View Full Version : smoking warning labels

markmarkymark
15-01-2004, 18:42
yo ..
posted this request on the old site - now lost ,,

could you post examples of warnings on fag packets please (its for a project)

this not to be turned into smokers bashings !

thank in advace

Mark

p.s typing crap cos baby in one hand !

paulyoung666
15-01-2004, 18:46
your doctor or pharmacist can help you stop smoking , deja vue here methinks :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , how you doing been quiet from you lately :)

Ramrod
15-01-2004, 18:53
yo ..
posted this request on the old site - now lost ,,

I remember this....one hell of a long running project! Whats it about?

homealone
15-01-2004, 19:06
ok I have 2 packets of baccy atm

'Smoking clogs the arteries and causes heart attacks & strokes.'
'Smoking seriously harms you and others around you.'

'Your doctor or pharmacist can help you stop smoking'
'Smoking kills'

I can't remember the wording on the one that claims smoking causes infertility, but I wondered if anyone had ever used it to their advantage - 'trust me you won't get pregnant - I'm on 20 a day' ;)

Silent Wings
15-01-2004, 19:19
smoke contains benzene,nitrosamines,formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide :eek: (on oneside of the packet)

smoking seriously harms those around you (otherside)

Maggy
15-01-2004, 19:20
I can't remember the wording on the one that claims smoking causes infertility, but I wondered if anyone had ever used it to their advantage - 'trust me you won't get pregnant - I'm on 20 a day' ;)

I'm sorry I tried to rep you for the above but I have to spread it about for a while. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Flubflow
15-01-2004, 19:24
Here are some alarming ones that I found.......
http://www.firebox.com/pic/p589b.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;).

danielf
15-01-2004, 20:03
Stopping smoking reduces the risk of fatal heart and lung diseases.

Do you want the foreign language ones as well? ;)

markmarkymark
15-01-2004, 21:48
thanks people ....

u helped out on the other site .. but I can not access the post now as its closed, hence I wanted a recap ... cheers

Mark

Ramrod
15-01-2004, 21:55
thanks people ....

u helped out on the other site .. but I can not access the post now as its closed, hence I wanted a recap ... cheers

MarkOk, ignore me :D

homealone
15-01-2004, 22:10
Ok, ignore me :D

everybody else does? :p ;) :)

trentsteel
15-01-2004, 23:04
Stopping smoking reduces the risk of fatal heart and lung diseases.

Do you want the foreign language ones as well? ;)
I saw a foriegn one before, the only word i got the jist of was "impotentes"! :p

markmarkymark
15-01-2004, 23:06
Ok, ignore me :D

Hey no offence intended - just missed ya !

its to do with a project I am doing on risk perception in the nuclear industry. Depending on the nature of the risk, how you are exposed, whether you have any choice in the risk has a marked effect on what you think is 'significant'. SO a small radiation dose with a fatal cancer probability of 1 death in every 10,000 exposed will worry many, but smokers who smoke 20 a day have a cancer probability risk of say 1:200 for each year they like. THis is despite of the warning label on fag packets ....

I'm just interested in exploring this concept ...

SMHarman
16-01-2004, 10:45
And the risk of dieing in a fatal car / train / motorbike / pedestrian accident on the way to the airport is higher than the risk of a plane crash, terrorism etc.

markmarkymark
16-01-2004, 11:48
indeed that is the case - but which gets the most press ?

If I were to do a risk assessment (as someone who does them all the time) on a house spider, where by 1=low and 10=high, for a number of hazards that it could expose me to then I might have something like this ....

Kill me if I eat it = 1
Toxic if I touch it = 1
full of ladder if falls in my face = 8
jump at me = 1
and so on ... you get the drift ...

the 'risk' is low - my perception of what it might do to me (how ever crazy that is) means I will always hate them and avoid at all costs ..It does not matter if someone convinces me that they are safe .....

SMHarman
16-01-2004, 11:52
indeed that is the case - but which gets the most press ?

Aaah, but thats down to the big plc, and multiple deaths in a single occurrence requiring press reporting.

I think the equivelant of a 747s worth of people are killed in RTAs every day across Europe (I know that includes the Greek, Spanish and Italian Drivers)

markmarkymark
16-01-2004, 12:00
Aaah, but thats down to the big plc, and multiple deaths in a single occurrence requiring press reporting.

I think the equivelant of a 747s worth of people are killed in RTAs every day across Europe (I know that includes the Greek, Spanish and Italian Drivers)

yep thats my point - a plane crashes, it gets reported and many are scared to fly .....

Nugget
16-01-2004, 13:46

Somewhat ironically, the tin of baccy that I've got at the minute says "Smoking is highly addictive, don't start"

Seeing as that's on the back of a 50g tin, they may be targeting the wrong people with that one!

Theodoric
16-01-2004, 15:58
Re the title of the thread, may I ask if warning labels are as addictive as tobacco. :D

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 16:12
Hey no offence intended - just missed ya ! I know :D

its to do with a project I am doing on risk perception in the nuclear industry. Depending on the nature of the risk, how you are exposed, whether you have any choice in the risk has a marked effect on what you think is 'significant'. SO a small radiation dose with a fatal cancer probability of 1 death in every 10,000 exposed will worry many, but smokers who smoke 20 a day have a cancer probability risk of say 1:200 for each year they like. THis is despite of the warning label on fag packets ....

I'm just interested in exploring this concept ...I have noticed that people are often more concerned about the risk of xrays causing cancer rather than smoking. Couple in yesterday....they really wanted xrays but were very concerned about the risks of radiation. Both reeked of cigs. I noticed that when they got into their car the first thing they did was light up :D

SMHarman
16-01-2004, 16:25
I have noticed that people are often more concerned about the risk of xrays causing cancer rather than smoking. Couple in yesterday....they really wanted xrays but were very concerned about the risks of radiation. Both reeked of cigs. I noticed that when they got into their car the first thing they did was light up :D

Huh, they probably didn't get their fillings done 'cause of the mercury in them too. Perhaps they don't use condoms as they might be alergic to latex?

Mad.