PDA

View Full Version : england face possible world cup 2006 ban

kronas
02-07-2003, 22:07
uefa president lennart johansson has given a stern warning to england supporters to behave in the match against turkey in october or face a possible euro 2004 and world cup 2006 ban

he said

We are very worried about the match. We can't ignore certain facts. We have a problem with certain English fans when they travel abroad.

"There is a hooligan element and we have a hooligan element in Turkey."

but england have chosen not take tickets for the match in october

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/3034306.stm

danielf
02-07-2003, 22:13
Fans could still travel to Turkey without tickets. I guess that's what Johansson is on about.

Defiant
02-07-2003, 22:14
Its seems Turkey's fans can get away with murder while UEFA have it in for England :shrug:

idi banashapan
02-07-2003, 22:56
i think it's more to do with the fact that england 'fans' (if I may refer to them as that) have a well known and long history of violence with regards to international games. UEFA as much as anyone wants to stamp it out completely.

danielf
02-07-2003, 23:14
Originally posted by Defiant
Its seems Turkey's fans can get away with murder while UEFA have it in for England :shrug:

Why would UEFA have it in for England?

Clearly, there is a reason for concern here. England have chosen not to take any tickets...

kronas
02-07-2003, 23:15
Originally posted by danielf
Why would UEFA have it in for England?

Clearly, there is a reason for concern here. England have chosen not to take any tickets...

which was wise considering the past matches against turkey which were marred by incidents

danielf
02-07-2003, 23:32
Originally posted by kronas
which was wise considering the past matches against turkey which were marred by incidents

Absolutely, still one wonders what else should be done to please UEFA (should anything happen). I guess a few of the usual suspects can expect a knock on the door when the game comes nearer...

hobbie
03-07-2003, 00:00
Don't forget about Leeds v Galatasary ( I think). That caused the bulk of the problems between England and Turkey.

Nidge
03-07-2003, 12:42
UEFA have always had it in for English clubs, can you remember when Man United won the European cup a few years ago? Did you see his face when he handed the trophy to Man United, it was written all over his face that he didn't want a English club to win it. That man hates English clubs with a vengence.

danielf
03-07-2003, 13:00
Originally posted by Nidge
UEFA have always had it in for English clubs, can you remember when Man United won the European cup a few years ago? Did you see his face when he handed the trophy to Man United, it was written all over his face that he didn't want a English club to win it. That man hates English clubs with a vengence.

Maybe he just didn't want Man U to win it...

TigaSefi
03-07-2003, 13:32
I didn't want ManUre to win it :( but they did :(

danielf
03-07-2003, 13:34
Originally posted by TigaSefi
I didn't want ManUre to win it :( but they did :(

Well, I guess that if you score twice in injury time against a German team, you've got some claim to it.

TigaSefi
03-07-2003, 13:35
I was gutted :p

danielf
03-07-2003, 13:40
Originally posted by TigaSefi
I was gutted :p

I was just off to get another round before everybody stormed to the bar at the interval. I missed it...

Roy MM
03-07-2003, 14:00
There is bad blood between the two countries, the hooligan element runs in both camps, EUEFA must bring Turkey to task aswell it's not a onesided affair. :(

timewarrior2001
03-07-2003, 15:43
UEFA cannot exempt England from the world cup. The world cup is a FIFA run competition and UEFA have no control over it.
This has already been stated by FIFA, that irrespective of what happens against Turkey they will not be out of the 2006 world cup.

My personal views are that if UEFA kick us out of the European cup, then the FA should ban European footballers playing in the english leagues.
If they also take action against Turkey then we cannot really complain.

Russ
03-07-2003, 16:45
Spose it doesn't really matter, after all, it's not like England would win either tournament :D

Chris
03-07-2003, 16:52
Originally posted by Russ D
Spose it doesn't really matter, after all, it's not like England would win either tournament :D

We stand a marginally better chance of getting to the finals than Wales, though, don't we?

Just remind us how many times you've qualified for the finals of any major tournament recently .... :D

Just a thought ... is the reason so many Welsh folk support Man Utd 'cos that's their only chance of tasting success on a football field? ;)

PS ... were've you been? There's been no Russ on the forum for ages! :wavey:

Defiant
03-07-2003, 17:28
I think Turkey's fans are much worse and its not just England when they play up. Even their player's try it on but what happens when England play them. England get the blame

kronas
03-07-2003, 18:12
Originally posted by Russ D

lol i agree not with the current system and team the way eriksson plays it i doubt they will win there has to be some tactical and some personell changes before i see them winning things