PDA

View Full Version : cancer link to deodrants ?

kronas
12-01-2004, 20:17
scientists may have discovered a possible link between underarm deodrants and cancer......

the deodrants carry chemicals called, parabens a claim is being made that these 'parabens' may be responsible for cancer growth.

"Oestrogen can drive the growth of human breast tumours. It would therefore seem especially prudent to consider whether parabens should continue to be used in such a wide range of cosmetics applied to the breast area including deodorants."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3383393.stm

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 20:27
What they've actually discovered is parabens in breast cancer tissue.
They are now looking into whether parabens can cause breast cancer, or if breast cancer absorbs parabens but isn't caused by it.
It's another case of the media (including the BBC) scaremongering and showing poor journalism.

kronas
12-01-2004, 20:29
What they've actually discovered is parabens in breast cancer tissue.
They are now looking into whether parabens can cause breast cancer, or if breast cancer absorbs parabens but isn't caused by it.
It's another case of the media (including the BBC) scaremongering and showing poor journalism.

i suspected this...........

br3ach
12-01-2004, 20:44
What the hell are they going to link to it next!

We wont be able to eat or drink or spray or apply anything before long without worrying :/

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 20:45
Latest news!

Living linked with death!

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 20:48
We have the highest usage of deodorants in Europe. We also have the highest incidence of breast cancer. Probably just a coincidence.

kronas
12-01-2004, 20:57
We have the highest usage of deodorants in Europe. We also have the highest incidence of breast cancer. Probably just a coincidence.

i love the ignoring factor some people have :rolleyes:

if a chemical is found in breast 'cancer' tissue, and is then found in a deodrant i would be concerned.

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 20:57
If there is a link, how come the french still get breast cancer?

br3ach
12-01-2004, 20:58
So is this chemical only in deodorant?

If so then yes a problem, but is it not in anything else we use from day to day and pssibly being pumped from industrial works etc ....

kronas
12-01-2004, 20:58

pardon me ?

So is this chemical only in deodorant?

If so then yes a problem, but is it not in anything else we use from day to day and pssibly being pumped from industrial works etc ....

the story does not state if it is only in deodrants, it points out that there could be a link as it does get in to breast tissue.

br3ach
12-01-2004, 21:01
"These are synthetic preservatives is frequently used in cosmetics and personal care products, such as shampoos, conditioners, hair styling gels, nail creams, foundations, facial masks, skin creams, and deodorants. Parabens can be an ingredient in baby lotions, shampoos,and other personal care products for children.

Methyl and propyl parabens are also allowed for use as food preservatives in small quantities. They are considered †œGenerally Recognized As Safeâ₠¬Ã‚ for food uses. "

Just some more info about the 'Chemical' you are concerned about ...

Its in a ton of things, includig food, so this means we dont eat anymore then?

Just like the last cancer scare?

I dont mean to be insensitive, and I have had losses to cancer myself so I know its bad, but until a cure is found, then face it ... there aint much that can be done about it, and most of us will have it in our lifes, regardless of what we do or dont do, cos its linked to so much ...

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:05
Latest news!

Living linked with death!
It's true, there are a lot of scares and you could dismiss them as scaremongering. Some of them probably are junk science.
However, we are also being subjected to a massive experiment (I use the term loosely) by manufacturers They are putting chemicals into foods, many of which we do not know the true effect of...just because a govt dept says that x & y is safe doesn't mean that it's true because we haven't been ingesting some of these chemicals for long enough to truly know their long term effects on our bodies. Even where we know the effects they still allow those chemicals into the food chain- take farmed salmon, the colorant they feed the fish to make it's flesh pink can cause blindness in children! It is illegal to put it directly into food products but it is legal to feed it to an animal before we consume that animal! There are many other cases where additives are added to foodstuffs without true knowledge of what effect they will have on us....they will have that information once enough of us have been eating them for long enough :D . Thats why I eat organic food (and even thats not even 100% perfect :rolleyes: ). imo the reason that we are getting so many scares is because there are so many dodgy practices going on and so the sh*t occasionally hits the fan.

edit-generaly speaking, if it wasn't around in food 100 years ago, I try to avoid it.

abailey152
12-01-2004, 21:08
What the hell are they going to link to it next!
BREATHING!

We must all stop breathing now.....that'll save us! :p

Funny how none of these "scientists" ever link any illness to all the crap strewn into the air every single day by all the factories and chemical industries. I wonder why that is?

kronas
12-01-2004, 21:08
It's true, there are a lot of scares and you could dismiss them as scaremongering. Some of them probably are junk science.
However, we are also being subjected to a massive experiment (I use the term loosely) by manufacturers They are putting chemicals into foods, many of which we do not know the true effect of...just because a govt dept says that x & y is safe doesn't mean that it's true because we haven't been ingesting some of these chemicals for long enough to truly know their long term effects on our bodies. Even where we know the effects they still allow those chemicals into the food chain- take farmed salmon, the colorant they feed the fish to make it's flesh pink can cause blindness in children! It is illegal to put it directly into food products but it is legal to feed it to an animal before we consume that animal! There are many other cases where additives are added to foodstuffs without true knowledge of what effect they will have on us....they will have that information once enough of us have been eating them for long enough :D . Thats why I eat organic food (and even thats not even 100% perfect :rolleyes: ). imo the reason that we are getting so many scares is because there are so many dodgy practices going on and so the sh*t occasionally hits the fan.

i totally agree with that, there instances where we eat things and dont think about what goes in to them, we just like the taste or the way it looks, but never question its origins or related issues.

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:09
There is more than one cause of breast cancer....

br3ach
12-01-2004, 21:12

edit-generaly speaking, if it wasn't around in food 100 years ago, I try to avoid it.
And your just as likely to die of cancer as I am, lets face it :/

I keep fit, train, run, eat healthy foods (allbeit not organic) and have an equal chance of getting cancer as anyone else

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:13
I dont mean to be insensitive, and I have had losses to cancer myself so I know its bad, but until a cure is found, then face it ... there aint much that can be done about it, and most of us will have it in our lifes, regardless of what we do or dont do, cos its linked to so much ...But we can try to minimise the risks by not eating certain things or using certain products. A cure for cancer........there are dozens if not hundreds of types of cancer. Thus there isn't a (one) cure for cancer. Many cancers are lifestyle related, we can do a lot to prevent them.

br3ach
12-01-2004, 21:15
But 1 in 3 will have it anyway, so why not enjoy life, and smell good ;)

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:16
And your just as likely to die of cancer as I am, lets face it :/

I keep fit, train, run, eat healthy foods (allbeit not organic) and have an equal chance of getting cancer as anyone elseNot true. I dont smoke-less lung cancer risk.
I dont eat much red meat-less bowel cancer risk.
I eat a lot of veg-less cancer risk overall.
I dont chew tobacco-less risk of cancer in the mouth (silly, but hey, you need examples :D )

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:17
But 1 in 3 will have it anyway, so why not enjoy life, and smell good ;)And maby if people lead healthier lives maby the risk would be 1 in 5.....

br3ach
12-01-2004, 21:21
Not true. I dont smoke-less lung cancer risk.
I dont eat much red meat-less bowel cancer risk.
I eat a lot of veg-less cancer risk overall.
I dont chew tobacco-less risk of cancer in the mouth (silly, but hey, you need examples :D )
Its like keeping fit will prevetn a heart attack

Not neccessarily

I knew a runner (marathon standard in a good time) who died at 40 from a heart attack

He was in peak condition, with no real cause for the illness and death, but hey, it happened

Now I know smokers and really fat people who have lived til they are 80 odd

If you can explain that one, then im listening, but if not, then my point holds that not matter what you do, there are so many causes for cancer you are just as likely to get it as eveyone else ...

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 21:21
There is more than one cause of breast cancer....

I was having a slight dig at the french not washing....

I'll get my coat

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:23
I was having a slight dig at the french not washing....

I'll get my coatI know. I'm in sensible mode :D

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:27
Its like keeping fit will prevetn a heart attack

Not neccessarily

I knew a runner (marathon standard in a good time) who died at 40 from a heart attack

He was in peak condition, with no real cause for the illness and death, but hey, it happened

Now I know smokers and really fat people who have lived til they are 80 odd

If you can explain that one, then im listening, but if not, then my point holds that not matter what you do, there are so many causes for cancer you are just as likely to get it as eveyone else ...Thats easily explained. The cases you highlite involve very few people (compared to how many people there are) You will always be able to find anomalous cases but to hold those up as proof that all cases are like that isn't correct. If all people follow a healthy lifestyle less people will die of cancer/ heart disease but you will still get the occasional anomaly, perhaps because of genetic disposition, perhaps due to bad luck.

The runner may have had a heart defect, the smoker may have lived to 100 if he hadn't smoked.

br3ach
12-01-2004, 21:29
Thats easily explained. The cases you highlite involve very few people (compared to how many people there are) You will always be able to find anomalous cases but to hold those up as proof that all cases are like that isn't correct. If all people follow a healthy lifestyle less people will die of cancer/ heart disease but you will still get the occasional anomaly, perhaps because of genetic disposition, perhaps due to bad luck.

The runner may have had a heart defect, the smoker may have lived to 100 if he hadn't smoked.
My point is, what makes it any less likely for you to get cancer than me then? or anyone else (taking bad luck and anomalies into account?)

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:33
My point is, what makes it any less likely for you to get cancer than me then? or anyone else (taking bad luck and anomalies into account?)
Leading a healthy lifestyle. If you look at a population like that of Scotland you find that they (on average)die younger than say, those in Denmark.
Diet/lifestyle in Scotland= more heart/lung problems than in Denmark.
This dosn't work if you look at individuals, you need to look at large groups of people to see the differences.

br3ach
12-01-2004, 21:34
So the runner wasnt leading a healthy lifestyle?

Whats to say you dont have bad luck?

Marge
12-01-2004, 21:38
Mu outlook is eat, drink and be merry and sod what all these so called experts tell us. We'll all be dead in 100 years whether it's from cancer, heart attack or run over by the number 32 bus :erm: Spray those arms, eat that yummy beef and be happy :tu:

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 21:39
So the runner wasnt leading a healthy lifestyle?

Whats to say you dont have bad luck?

There's a thought, what's worse luck, being told you have cancer or being run over by a number 10 bus?

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:43
So the runner wasnt leading a healthy lifestyle? No, the runner may have had a conjenital heart defect or a genetic problem (probably did) Or maby he used to be a very heavy smoker before he packed it in and started running. That was the case-I remember reading a while back about a study that examined why so many zealous runners were dropping dead. They found that many of those runners had previously lead very unhealthy lifestyles. Their past had just caught up with them but those deaths were skewing the statistics and making it look like running was bad for you!

Whats to say you dont have bad luck?Nothing, but statistically you are not likely to have such bad luck.

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:44
Mu outlook is eat, drink and be merry and sod what all these so called experts tell us. We'll all be dead in 100 years whether it's from cancer, heart attack or run over by the number 32 bus :erm: Spray those arms, eat that yummy beef and be happy :tu:Yup, but I'd rather live to 95 than 65.

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:46
I'm not advocating an uber-healthy lifestyle, just that we steer away from the really stupid things and have the rest in moderation.

br3ach
12-01-2004, 21:51
Well after studying biology to a reasonably high standard, I make my own conclusions that pampering the human immune system, and restricting the amount of bad things it has is not neccesarily a good thing.

It needs to develop resistance to each and every varient of an illness before it is able to prevent against it and the only way it does this is by catching and then killing a particular illness in the body.

Well I have put my poitn across, if you want to live a boring lifestyle and end up with the same problems anyway as someone who has enjoyed and lived life to the full then go for it...

We are all going to die anyway so...

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 23:41
Well after studying biology to a reasonably high standard, I make my own conclusions that pampering the human immune system, and restricting the amount of bad things it has is not neccesarily a good thing.

It needs to develop resistance to each and every varient of an illness before it is able to prevent against it and the only way it does this is by catching and then killing a particular illness in the body.

Well I have put my poitn across, if you want to live a boring lifestyle and end up with the same problems anyway as someone who has enjoyed and lived life to the full then go for it...

We are all going to die anyway so...The immune system is a different beast when you are talking about infection (and the body can be overcome by infection as well). I fully agree that it needs to be stressed. We let our kids get grubby, we don't use anti-bacterial wipes etc. Thus, hopefully they won't get asthma and allergies. What we have been discussing up to now is more to do with the effects of a poor diet and unhealthy lifestyle having an insidious effect over a period of time to produce ill health. In that case, repeated exposure to those things will increase the risk of ill health and premature death. The things we have been discussing are toxins/pollutants/poisions, not germs.