PDA

View Full Version : Email server

Charlie_Bubble
12-01-2004, 19:33
Anyone else having massive problems at the moment? I haven't been able to check my email since I got home about 45 minutes ago! :mad:

br3ach
12-01-2004, 19:37
You do reailse your using NTL mail servers ... right ;)

Charlie_Bubble
12-01-2004, 19:38
LOL Yeah, forgot that. Normally it's not too bad for me though. this is the worst it's ever been. Someone flip the hamster another peanut for god's sake!

br3ach
12-01-2004, 19:41
We've run out of peanuts ... thats the problem

We have sent a YTS employee to quicksave, but he has done a runner with the £3 for the nuts as its more than his monthly wage ;)

Charlie_Bubble
12-01-2004, 19:43
Lol :)

a4pacific
12-01-2004, 20:29
Its very dead at the moment, NTL has no shame, pay these directors a lot of money for s.h.i.t., can't even bother to upgrade their mail servers, this is a s.h.i.t.t.y. company offering s.h.i.t.t.y. email service. Even, the server status page is dead at the moment!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

br3ach
12-01-2004, 20:30
I told you, they have no peanuts :/

Seriously tho, there is a problem, engineers are currently blah blah blah

Hopefully wont be to long and we'll all be back up and running

paulyoung666
12-01-2004, 20:32
i know it wont help you but it is fine and dandy in chilly teesside :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

threadbare
12-01-2004, 21:14
what sort of errors are you getting?

br3ach
12-01-2004, 21:17
timeouts mainly is whats been happening tonight with the customers

Charlie_Bubble
12-01-2004, 22:25
Timeouts and incorrect pop3 server etc.

altis
12-01-2004, 22:42
Big probs here too.

Mailwasher spends much of its time 'Initializing' or 'Waiting for authentication' and often times out.

Is this to do with the general packet loss?

John Doe
12-01-2004, 22:46
Phone in.

Parrently thers no fault cos nothing is being identified!!! :eek:

threadbare
12-01-2004, 23:14
yeh i'd give TS a call - it maybe that faults are on the ball but if TS havn't had any call regarding they may not know there is an issue

br3ach
12-01-2004, 23:16
We know theres a problem...

Only intermitent, and not with every customer :/

It hasn't been escalated as we have not had enough examples of a problem, so ringing may not be a bad idea I suppose

homealone
13-01-2004, 01:03
Big probs here too.

Mailwasher spends much of its time 'Initializing' or 'Waiting for authentication' and often times out.

Is this to do with the general packet loss?

me too, but only on one account, I have two accounts with ntl, & the 'other' one is fine?

- the 'service status' page has been up & down a bit again, as well. - but maybe the work, it reports, tonight, will sort a few problems.:)

Charlie_Bubble
13-01-2004, 01:17
Mine is ok now. Just got rid of all my spam!

Stuartbe
13-01-2004, 01:36
My mail server collects the mail from the pop boxes I have on ntl every so often the amount of errors I get like below are amazing....

mail_pop3c.cpp: PASS command failed: -ERR mail storage services unavailable, wait a few minutes and try again.
user ******.****** server pop.ntlworld.com:110)

:(

altis
14-01-2004, 12:06
ntl Home - All Packages - Mail Service (RESOLVED)

Ntlhome Internet customers using the ntlworld email service may be experiencing problems accessing the service, this is because of a technical fault.

Our engineers are aware of this issue and working on a resolution.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

This has now been resolved.

Sorry.... but not round here it hasn't.

Mr.Moony
14-01-2004, 12:20
Yo guys, there are still certain people with problems. We have a Hot-Pot going collecting issues, so if you have 5 minutes free then do give us a ring. The more issues collected the quicker it shall be resolved. Well...

Neil
14-01-2004, 12:45

13 January 2004 18:56

Ntlhome Internet customers using the ntlworld email service may be experiencing problems accessing the service, this is because of a technical fault.

I'll bet you would!

How many times can ntl apologise for this poor excuse of an email 'service'? :rolleyes:

Yeah right. :dozey:

allanprg
14-01-2004, 14:32
I'll believe that when I see it. The last few days have been pretty rotten as far as email goes. Lets see how long the resolved issue lasts. :( :( :mad:

Reddevil63
14-01-2004, 15:01
The server status page has been updated.

ntl Home - All Packages - Mail Service
14 January 2004 12:01

What a joke!!! :mad:

Mr.Moony
14-01-2004, 15:06
They have now announced more email problems. Ohh the pain of it all. Ohh and the joy of not teching email for a few hours :)

Neil
14-01-2004, 15:12
They have now announced more email problems. Ohh the pain of it all. Ohh and the joy of not teching email for a few hours :)

ntl Home - All Packages - Mail Service

Mr Moony-are you not ashamed to work for a company as downright incompetent as this?

They are way beyond a joke now, if I had the time, I would trawl back through their server status page just to see how many times email had been on there (that's on top of the times that there was a problem but they never bothered to put anything up about it) :dozey:

John Doe
14-01-2004, 15:16
What a joke!!! :mad:

I use ntlworld email and do have niggles with it but not enough to justify stress.

It seems a lot of you are experiencing problems that are causing a fair bit of stress. If that was me I'd be on the phone to CS saying that I have had no of little access to email and I want a refund - its been a recurrent fault and is not acceptable.

I'm sure after £x thousands they would decide to get it sorted once and for all. The servers are clearly running at capicity.

Does anyone know how much hardware is needed to run x amount of email accounts as a rule of thumb?

John Doe
14-01-2004, 15:18
They are way beyond a joke now, if I had the time, I would trawl back through their server status page just to see how many times email had been on there (that's on top of the times that there was a problem but they never bothered to put anything up about it) :dozey:

What did Azaid actuall say to you about email when you had meetings with him?

Mr.Moony
14-01-2004, 15:22
Mr Mooney-are you not ashamed to work for a company as downright incompetent as this?

No. but always dissapointed that some1 who has been my site admin for over 6 months still cant spell my name. (thats including .com and .co.uk - if you are that neil....even if your not)

zoombini
14-01-2004, 15:31
Apparently someone in Accounts wanted to do some proper sums so used the calculator thats in the corner, unfortunately this is also used for the email server so no wonder it was slow...

Neil
14-01-2004, 15:32
No. but always dissapointed that some1 who has been my site admin for over 6 months still cant spell my name. (thats including .com and .co.uk - if you are that neil....even if your not)

My bad, spelling corrected (Yes I am the same Neil)

I can't believe you're not ashamed/embarassed to work for an ISP that can't even supply a reliable email service tho? :erm:

Mr.Moony
14-01-2004, 15:36
Well its the first time ive seen the boards flash with the email servers down in well over a month. Its getting better. I work for them at the end of the day and il still do my best to help our customers. Crummie mail servers or not.

Neil
14-01-2004, 15:47
Well its the first time ive seen the boards flash with the email servers down in well over a month.

Aaaah-that's ok then. ;)

Its getting better.

It is??? :eek:

I work for them at the end of the day and il still do my best to help our customers. Crummie mail servers or not.

Fair play to you Mr M, can't fault you for that. :tu:

looselipsuk
14-01-2004, 16:40
To save you the trouble Neil I have done a rough count back over the past year and problems with e-mail showing on server status page occured 56 times not counting the three times so far this year.
Of course what that does not tell us is how long it took to be fixed each time.
Quite often it would show up again very shortly after it was "fixed".
As you so rightly say Neil this does not account for the times e-mail failed but was never flagged up on the status page.
So if you divide the figure up it would mean that e-mail failed once every week for last year.
I appreciate of course that some months were worse than others but it did fail every month in 2003.
If NTL think that is a good service then heaven help us if ever it was to get bad.

Neil
14-01-2004, 16:49
To save you the trouble Neil I have done a rough count back over the past year and problems with e-mail showing on server status page occured 56 times not counting the three times so far this year.
Of course what that does not tell us is how long it took to be fixed each time.
Quite often it would show up again very shortly after it was "fixed".
As you so rightly say Neil this does not account for the times e-mail failed but was never flagged up on the status page.
So if you divide the figure up it would mean that e-mail failed once every week for last year.
I appreciate of course that some months were worse than others but it did fail every month in 2003.
If NTL think that is a good service then heaven help us if ever it was to get bad.

So...

56 divided by 52 (weeks in a year) equates to 1.07 (roughly! :D ), so by my reckoning ntl's email service failed once per week on average last year (at least) :rolleyes:

What an absolute disgrace. :2up:

looselipsuk
14-01-2004, 16:55
Glad you found the info useful Neil.
I think it can only be called damn disgusting and about time they did something to fix it properly.
Talk about "what a way to run a company".
I sometimes think it was a shame they did not get made bankrupt last year.
At least we then would have been forced to take action to change supplier.
Mind you saying that I am glad for the employees that did not happen as I know what it is like to lose a job after 30 years with the same company but that is another story.

dilli-theclaw
14-01-2004, 17:02
I've been at my dad's sorting his pc out all day today. (his emails are also still intermittent at best)

He found out my old Amiga 1200 and BBC 'B' micro's for me - But as I don't need them NTL can have them - I'm sure they'd do a better job than what they are using at the moment

Reddevil63
14-01-2004, 17:11
Wonder if NTL have ever heard of 'supply and demand'??

Ok they supply the service but they can't cope with the demand ie bad email servers, constant DNS outages, terrible customer service...what else?

They basically can't handle and run a smooth service.....still puzzles me how they won ISP of the year!!!

John Doe
14-01-2004, 17:34
Wonder if NTL have ever heard of 'supply and demand'??

:rofl:

Yea, supply remains constant... demand increases > therfore cost of supply increases due to the increase in demand. harrrrr

hoggyspuds
14-01-2004, 22:12
haven't been able to receive mail since lunch time today here in Belfast. Mail washer says pop.ntlworld doesn't exist? Can't get on to hotmail either. Also having to surf through proxy server.........gggrrrrrrrrr!

Reddevil63
16-01-2004, 00:24
Latest server status:

Resolved?? Still can't receive my email and now have 96 emails waiting....probably 10 of them are not spam!!

Whats going on???

This is the error message I get:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'My Mail', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Paul
16-01-2004, 00:50
Latest server status:

Resolved?? Still can't receive my email and now have 96 emails waiting....probably 10 of them are not spam!!

Whats going on???

This is the error message I get:

Oh well, I seem to be immune - I just fired up my Outlook and it downloaded all my NTL mail inside 20 seconds. :cool:

Are different accounts on different servers ?

Stuartbe
16-01-2004, 00:54
Oh well, I seem to be immune - I just fired up my Outlook and it downloaded all my NTL mail inside 20 seconds. :cool:

Are different accounts on different servers ?

Someone must have slipped the hamster some extra sunflower seeds :D

allanprg
16-01-2004, 01:48
Well at least I can get my emails now, straight away, or near enough. Much better than the last few days. how long before it goes again. :( :)

Reddevil63
16-01-2004, 02:04
Well after having problems getting my mail...always stuck on receiving 2 of whatever, I have now got another email address setup via Ntl and guess what? No problems!!

Goes thru the receiving email process with no problems.....wonder why my now old email address won't work???

altis
16-01-2004, 11:31
Mailwasher is whizzing thru my accounts this morning - faster than in months - thanks guys :)

Gogogo
16-01-2004, 12:20
I know people can have different experiences with the NTLWorld mail service but frankly, for the whole week it's been ntlhellworld for us. Surely, NTLworld people can get this sorted out once and for all. Constant failure to receive and send mail is unacceptable and it's time the company did something to substantially improve the service. I suppose it won't be long before NTLWorld will want more money for this pathetic service.

It seems to me someone should be fired.

:mad:

Chrysalis
16-01-2004, 13:17
ok a month or so ago for months the problem was repeatedly not been able to authenticate to the server, now that problem has gone for me but instead I am getting serious email lag.

Email sent to me is normally lagged 1-5 hours, email I send is normally lagged 3-7 days. This is getting beyond the joke now.

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 14:02
Anyone else having massive problems at the moment? I haven't been able to check my email since I got home about 45 minutes ago! :mad:Mines a bit on and off atm :(

chriscl
16-01-2004, 15:00
I suppose we'll all have to bear in mind that as nobody (or only the *very* lucky) have been able to actually access their email for the last couple of days, there will, without doubt, be a humongous backlog of email sat around waiting to be delivered.

Of course, this is going to put even more load on the already struggling servers.

In addition, if mail sent to your "@ntlworld.com" account has been "bounced" (i.e. declined by the server due to unavailability, time-outs, what have you) then that mail (depending on the policy of the sending server...) may attempt to retry its delivery also....putting further load on the servers!

If it's true as I believe that the mail has been down for nearly a full day, then we're all going to have some lag until the outstanding mail queues have been cleared (this depends on how many servers they have and how they are configured).

I know we'd all like to call for the head of whoever runs NTL's mail servers, but to be honest, (and I know 'cause I design these sorts of things for a living!) that you can only guess at your peak throughput of mail traffic, until you've seen your domain in use. There are few magic "rules of thumb" for mail servers - mostly, it's a case of experience telling you much server capacity to deploy for a given number of users. You can't calculate for an unknown amount of mail - you just don't know how much mail you'll get until you put your domain out there - and don't even broach the subject of NTL and spam!

While the NTL techies may be monitoring the servers devoutly, if they have no funds to upgrade or add new servers, then we're all going to suffer in the short term!

So yes, we can cuss NTL and demand action, but unless Roman Abramovich decides to give up on Chelsea and buy NTL, I think our best bet is to bear with it until they deploy the "new" mail service - I would hope in the light of all the preceding problems, they do this sooner rather than later!

</sermon>

;-)

Reddevil63
16-01-2004, 18:16
Well NTL should have thought of these things beforehand.

The more people that sign up for the service, which is what they want potential customers to do, then the powers to be should with common sense think "hold on, we got more customers so we better upgrade/add new servers to cope with the demand."

Chrysalis
17-01-2004, 15:47
my thoughts exactly

out of interest I sent an email to myself from my ntlworld account and what a surprise I never got it.

tinsnail
17-01-2004, 17:59
Is anyone else still having problems with their email?
I still haven't been able to download anything since Friday Morning. It just get's stuck on Receiving: Message 1 of 20 but it never manages to download anything.

carlingman
18-01-2004, 03:09
Is anyone else still having problems with their email?
I still haven't been able to download anything since Friday Morning. It just get's stuck on Receiving: Message 1 of 20 but it never manages to download anything.

Hi tinsnail,

Firstly welcome to nthelworld.co.uk

Have you tried accessing via webmail ????

Also if you have a firewall then try turning it off.

Have you tried to telnet it as they may be an offending mail blocking your download etc.

To telnet it try the following -

To telnet the mail server:
Start>Run
"telnet pop.ntlworld.com 110"
+OK InterMail POP3 server ready.
(type) user user.name
+OK please send PASS command
(type) pass password
+OK user.name is welcome here

this logs you into the pop server.

Try that and report back.

:)

tinsnail
18-01-2004, 12:55
Hi tinsnail,

Firstly welcome to nthelworld.co.uk

Have you tried accessing via webmail ????

Also if you have a firewall then try turning it off.

Have you tried to telnet it as they may be an offending mail blocking your download etc.

To telnet it try the following -

To telnet the mail server:
Start>Run
"telnet pop.ntlworld.com 110"
+OK InterMail POP3 server ready.
(type) user user.name
+OK please send PASS command
(type) pass password
+OK user.name is welcome here

this logs you into the pop server.

Try that and report back.

Hi,
I have no firewall, and i tried telnet and it seemed to log me in correctly. Don;t know if i was supposed to do something after that though. webmail works ok (although it's very slow).
I deleted all the spam type messages with webmail, and still nothing. just the same as above. It says it is receiving: message 1 of 20 and just sits there doing nothing. I know it's not downloading anything cos i can check my dialup status.
I am using Mozilla as my mail program btw.

thanks
Rob

carlingman
18-01-2004, 23:57
Hi,
I have no firewall, and i tried telnet and it seemed to log me in correctly. Don;t know if i was supposed to do something after that though. webmail works ok (although it's very slow).
I deleted all the spam type messages with webmail, and still nothing. just the same as above. It says it is receiving: message 1 of 20 and just sits there doing nothing. I know it's not downloading anything cos i can check my dialup status.
I am using Mozilla as my mail program btw.

thanks
Rob

Strange though if you have deleted them from webmail.

When you telnet etc.

What happens when you after loggin on with username and pass etc what happens when you type list ??

Does this show a list of messages and if it does have you tried deleting the offending mail if there is from the telnet session.

To do this you will need to identify the mail and type DELE 1 or whichever number corresponds.

Then type quit to close the telnet connection.

I myself am not to familiar with Mozilla but stick around and someone on here will be although like other mail clients have you tried deleting the account from Mozilla and recreating this.

Maybe worth changing the pop and smtp settings to

Instead of pop.ntlworld.com try 62.253.162.50 and smtp.ntlworld.com try 62.253.162.40

Like I say someone who is more familiar with Mozilla may have some further ideas.

tinsnail
19-01-2004, 01:30
It's working again now.
I didn't do anything so i'm sure it was just typical ntHELL.
I've now changed my email setup so now i download direct from my email server without getting them forwarded through my ntl address first, so hopefully i won't get this trouble anymore.

thanks for the advice.

carlingman
19-01-2004, 01:49
It's working again now.
I didn't do anything so i'm sure it was just typical ntHELL.
I've now changed my email setup so now i download direct from my email server without getting them forwarded through my ntl address first, so hopefully i won't get this trouble anymore.

thanks for the advice.

Glad to hear it is sorted.

Lets hope it dont happen again.

:D

Enterian
19-01-2004, 09:25
Glad to hear it is sorted.

Lets hope it dont happen again.

:D
Fat chance

ntl Home - All Packages - E-Mail Service
19 January 2004 07:30

Due to a technical fault with our email service, you may currently be experiencing errors when trying to check for new mail on some or all of their email accounts. If you are experiencing this fault, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. There is no need to hold on to speak to a technical support representative.

It already has! :rofl:

ntluser
19-01-2004, 09:26
Anyone else having massive problems at the moment? I haven't been able to check my email since I got home about 45 minutes ago! :mad:

Yep, same here in Manchester (Baguley Server). The server info status reports says the e-mail problem is resolved but I can't access my e-mail directly or via the ntlworld website.

Anyone else in Manchester or beyond having e-mail problems?

chambece
19-01-2004, 10:03
Yep, same here in Manchester (Baguley Server). The server info status reports says the e-mail problem is resolved but I can't access my e-mail directly or via the ntlworld website.

Anyone else in Manchester or beyond having e-mail problems?

I'm getting the password problem again in Nottingham.....

I think I might get some more email elsewhere if it carries on like this!

Neil
19-01-2004, 10:09
Guess what :rolleyes:

ntl Home - All Packages - E-Mail Service

19 January 2004 07:30

Due to a technical fault with our email service, you may currently be experiencing errors when trying to check for new mail on some or all of their email accounts. If you are experiencing this fault, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yeah whatever, we've heard it all before. :zzz:

There is no need to hold on to speak to a technical support representative.

You can say that again! :D :angel:

Reddevil63
19-01-2004, 12:25
This is getting beyond a joke!!!!!!!!!!!

ntluser
19-01-2004, 12:36
This is getting beyond a joke!!!!!!!!!!!

You're absolutely right. Do what I've done..sign up for a free Yahoo account and when NTL is down you can still e-mail to those who have a backup e-mail address..unless of course Yahoo goes down!! ;)

ntluser
19-01-2004, 15:16
E-mail is now back on here in damp and dismal Manchester. ;)

looselipsuk
19-01-2004, 17:58
If it is supposed to be fixed how come two of my accounts I cannot access even tried webmail.
I really do wonder how much longer I will put up with the crap service NTL provide.

paulyoung666
19-01-2004, 18:04
If it is supposed to be fixed how come two of my accounts I cannot access even tried webmail.
I really do wonder how much longer I will put up with the crap service NTL provide.

vote with you wallet and feet :D

Stuartbe
19-01-2004, 19:03
vote with you wallet and feet :D

And dynamite if you have access to it :D