PDA

View Full Version : Radioactive marbles

Jerrek
12-01-2004, 05:08
I bought some of these for fun.

http://www.unitednuclear.com/marble2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/vhill321/P2160003.jpg

http://members.aol.com/vhill321/P4110002.jpg

For some reason, no one wants to shoot marbles with me. My dad looked at me really weird, and my mom asked me if she should be worried. :confused:

deadite66
12-01-2004, 07:00
are they anything like the glow keyrings?http://images.iwoot.com/medium/glovx2_med.jpg

zoombini
12-01-2004, 10:11
Just don't keep them in your pocket for long periods... :D

Those keyrings look good, I wonder if they can be opened up & the glow bit used on the end of my fishing rod... cheaper than 10 years worth of starlights at 90p each.

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 10:15
I'd rather have this glowy thing

Download Failed (1)

Marge
12-01-2004, 11:13

Download Failed (1)

I want one of those :eek:

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 11:57
I want one of those :eek:have you tried e-bay? Thats where I got mine :disturbd:

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 11:58
have you tried e-bay? Thats where I got mine :disturbd:

Do you seriously have one? Perminent blade not the toys-r-us extendable ones?

Do you have any pics of it?

Is it worth it? :)

Bifta
12-01-2004, 12:21
Do you seriously have one? Perminent blade not the toys-r-us extendable ones?

Do you have any pics of it?

Is it worth it? :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3168846267&category=751

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 12:36
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3168846267&category=751

lol
that's the toys-r-us type one.

The pic I posted is of a collectors edition replica.
It's got a perminent blade which has a roll of electroglow sheeting.

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 12:43
Do you seriously have one? <snip> Yup....and I was just saying to Darth Maul yesterday: If it dosn't have a red beam its not worth using :disturbd: :D

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 12:48
Yup....and I was just saying to Darth Maul yesterday: If it dosn't have a red beam its not worth using :disturbd: :D

I can see I'm just going to have to buy one and hope I haven't wasted £65!

DrAwesome
12-01-2004, 12:59

http://www.cards2collectables.net/masterreplicas/anakin_lighsaber/sw_prod_aotc_anakinfx.jpg

Now one of these could impress the woman (keeping one of these in your pocket)

Woman: Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are you glad to see me?

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 13:06
I can see I'm just going to have to buy one and hope I haven't wasted £65!I'm intrigued. What does the £65 one do exactly?
...and where do you get one from?

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 13:07
Woman: Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are you glad to see me?I'd keep the safety catch on if I were you :erm: :D

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 13:10
I note that this thread went off topic from post #2. Is that a record? :D

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 13:14
I'm intrigued. What does the £65 one do exactly?
...and where do you get one from?

Basically they are full sized replica lightsabers.
Most online shops have them for around £125, ebay has quite a few for £65

I has sounds which have been digitally mastered from the film.

Not designed for dueling apparently though.

zoombini
12-01-2004, 13:45
I saw one of those in Woolworths on Saturday... extendable & talks to you..

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 16:00
I saw one of those in Woolworths on Saturday... extendable & talks to you..

Those are the cheapo plastic ones :(

Bifta
12-01-2004, 16:12
What on earth would people do with a toy lightsabre? (apart from having someone post a p*ss take video of you pretending to be Darth Maul on the internet)

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 16:19
What on earth would people do with a toy lightsabre? (apart from having someone post a p*ss take video of you pretending to be Darth Maul on the internet)
Erm.......I suppose the reason I...I mean a Friend of mine :D would like one is that it's:

a) Cool
b) A form of escapism
c) Takes you back to your childhood
d) Geeky and I don't care:D
*edit* I forgot d) To be a Jedi (doh) :D

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 16:48

Its not a toy, it's a replica :)
Toys are those crappy ones you get in woolworths for £10
They're basically a torch with a blue cone on the end.

The one I want glows like the sabers in the films

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 17:20
Its not a toy, it's a replica :)
Toys are those crappy ones you get in woolworths for £10
They're basically a torch with a blue cone on the end.

The one I want glows like the sabers in the filmsDoes it make the humming noise or do you still have to do that for yourself? :D

zoombini
12-01-2004, 17:57
No, just do not bath for a fortnight & you will hum pretty well yourself..

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 19:01
Does it make the humming noise or do you still have to do that for yourself? :D

It has the humming noise used in real lightsabers :)

All the sounds are authentic rather than reproduced

br3ach
12-01-2004, 19:02
I want some of those marbles :)

Does that put it back on topic?

Bifta
12-01-2004, 19:17
I want some of those marbles :)

Does that put it back on topic?

Actually, so do I, especially if they're UV reactive, I'll stick a bundle of them in the bottom of my PC case.

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 19:20
Actually, so do I, especially if they're UV reactive, I'll stick a bundle of them in the bottom of my PC case.

Um, why?

Jerrek
12-01-2004, 19:30
Yes they react to UV light (black light). They're normally yellow with a tinge of green from the uranium dioxide, but they turn and glow rather yellowish when under a UV light.

danielf
12-01-2004, 19:35

I keep mine (cheap plastic one) in the shed. That's where I found it when I moved into the house. Was well chuffed with it though :D

Bifta
12-01-2004, 19:39
Yes they react to UV light (black light). They're normally yellow with a tinge of green from the uranium dioxide, but they turn and glow rather yellowish when under a UV light.

Silly question .. not sure why I'm asking it, but anyone know of a UK supplier of these? (I've got 1 black light cathode and 2 black light LED's so I could do something rather fancy with a bag of these)

TigaSefi
12-01-2004, 19:44
what key words will get u the light sabers on ebay then ? and what shops sells them outright ?

martinell
12-01-2004, 19:55
http://sport-toys.com/ have some in the master replicas section. very nice too. nice glass door in front of and black lighting,nice in the den :cool:

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 19:59
Yes they react to UV light (black light). They're normally yellow with a tinge of green from the uranium dioxide.

Uranium dioxide:Maximum (theoretical) density: 10.96 g/cm3 (In practice, it is about 10.5 g/cm3)
Melting point: approx. 2850 oC
Dark brown ceramic compound, the most widespread fuel of today's nuclear power plants. :eek:

Bifta
12-01-2004, 20:05
I think BNFL needs an online shop :D

Theodoric
12-01-2004, 20:07
Uranium dioxide:
:
Maximum (theoretical) density: 10.96 g/cm3 (In practice, it is about 10.5 g/cm3)
Melting point: approx. 2850 oC
Dark brown ceramic compound, the most widespread fuel of today's nuclear power plants.
On the other hand, the uranium is probably depleted uranium, in which case the fissile U-235 will have been reduced from about 0.7% to about half this value and be of no use to man or nuclear reactor.

danielf
12-01-2004, 20:13
On the other hand, the uranium is probably depleted uranium, in which case the fissile U-235 will have been reduced from about 0.7% to about half this value and be of no use to man or nuclear reactor.

You mean the stuff that alegedly caused the Gulf War syndrome? Just the kind of stuff you want to carry in your pockets :eek:

Theodoric
12-01-2004, 20:18
On the other hand, the uranium is probably depleted uranium, in which case the fissile U-235 will have been reduced from about 0.7% to about half this value and be of no use to man or nuclear reactor
You mean the stuff that alegedly was implicated in Gulf War syndrome? Just the kind of stuff you want to carry in your pockets :eek:
To be honest, I'm not completely au fait with most things to do with depeleted uranium but it's not carrying it in you pocket that would be the problem. I'd guess that the main problem would be getting particles in your lungs. It's an alpha emitter and most alphas can be stopped by a piece of paper. It is also, in chemical terminology, a heavy metal and wouldn't do your kidneys any good. Also it is almost twice as dense as lead so, if you dropped a lump on your toes, you'd probably break a toe.

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 20:20
You mean the stuff that alegedly caused the Gulf War syndrome? Just the kind of stuff you want to carry in your pockets :eek:

No, gulf war syndrome was from the inocculations given to soldiers.

The cases of lukemia and other cancers in iraq and yugoslavia are allegedly down to DU rounds.

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 20:21
To be honest, I'm not completely au fait with most things to do with depeleted uranium but it's not carrying it in you pocket that would be the problem. I'd guess that the main problem would be getting particles in your lungs. It's an alpha emitter and most alphas can be stopped by a piece of paper. It is also, in chemical terminology, a heavy metal and wouldn't do your kidneys any good. Also it is almost twice as dense as lead so, if you dropped a lump on your toes, you'd probably break a toe.

If it's only emitting alpha particles, then it should be safe in the middle of the marble

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 20:25
If it's only emitting alpha particles, then it should be safe in the middle of the marbleKids swallow all sorts of things......

Bifta
12-01-2004, 20:26
Kids swallow all sorts of things......

They do, but it's probably unlikely that they'd digest the surrounding glass before it pops back out of the business end.

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 20:31
They do, but it's probably unlikely that they'd digest the surrounding glass before it pops back out of the business end.

glow in the dark poo

danielf
12-01-2004, 20:36
glow in the dark poo

Only if you have a black-light on the bog. ;)

Xaccers
12-01-2004, 20:37
Only if you have a black-light on the bog. ;)

Some people mod their PC's, some people mod their loos

Jerrek
12-01-2004, 20:48
If it's only emitting alpha particles, then it should be safe in the middle of the marble
Uranium dioxide will emit all three types of radiation. However, alpha radiation will be stopped by the glass wall. In any case, the output is so minor it isn't of any harm to you.

100 of these marbles costed me 10 pounds. Google for vaseline glass UK or something.

DrAwesome
12-01-2004, 20:49
you could cause a panic in the USA carrying the marbels around if they give off radiation, the FBI might think your carrying a dirty bomb?.

downquark1
12-01-2004, 20:49
I doubt there is a serious issue, the authorities are particulary paranoid about these things.

I remember a teacher once telling me a story of when he taught science at a particulary rough school. After the pupils had got to class (quite a feat with this lot) he proceeded to do an experiment with a small radioactive sample. Obviously he told the student to keep at least one meter away and explained the security precautions (pretty needless considering the level of radiation). The teacher opened the radiation shield took the metal out with twisers, but then dropped it letting it role in the children under a table. They all lept out the windows and ran off, the police were called in and many of them were found crying in corners thinking they were going to die.

danielf
12-01-2004, 21:00
Low Radioactive materials are used in common appliances such as smoke detectors...

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 21:02
Some people mod their PC's, some people mod their loosThe mind boggles :D

Theodoric
12-01-2004, 21:17
Low Radioactive materials are used in common appliances such as smoke detectors...
Yes, some of the use an Americium isotope.

Theodoric
12-01-2004, 21:23
Uranium dioxide will emit all three types of radiation. However, alpha radiation will be stopped by the glass wall. In any case, the output is so minor it isn't of any harm to you.

100 of these marbles costed me 10 pounds. Google for vaseline glass UK or something.
Strictly speaking, U-235 (0.7%) is an alpha and gamma emitter and U-238 (99.3%) is also an alpha and gamma emitter, but as some of the daughter products will be beta emitters, I won't quibble. :)

markmarkymark
12-01-2004, 21:45
Hmmm

i need to get in on the act here .....

Are we sure that these do contain radioactive materials - such materials should not be available to UK bods !!

Certain radioactive materials are able to be purchased - some one mentioned smoke alarms - these use a Am241 sealed source which is allowed under the Radioactive Substances (Smoke Alarms) Exemption order (made under the Radioactive Substances Act 1960 - now carried over to the Radioactive Substances Act 1993) ....

In order to glow in the dark using radioactive materials you need an 'alpha' emitter and a scintillator (e.g. Zinc Sulphide). Whilst U will produce alpha particles I would think that the rate of emission would be too low to produce an effect .....

What you need is an alpha emitter with a high specific activity and Ra-226 springs to mind - and that is something you would NOT want to carry around ..!!

cheers

Mark

edit - I should add that you can achieve a similar effect (using different physics) using a weak beta emitter like Tritium. A typical example here is the use of H-3 in warning signs. However you need bogging loads of H-3 to achieve the effect .....

edit 2 . or you can achieve a nice blue glow using cherenkov radiation. To produce this you would need a nice size swimming pool and about 1000 TBq of Co-60 .... not something you would want to carry around .... !¬!

Theodoric
12-01-2004, 22:59
Hmmm

i need to get in on the act here .....

Are we sure that these do contain radioactive materials - such materials should not be available to UK bods !!

Certain radioactive materials are able to be purchased - some one mentioned smoke alarms - these use a Am241 sealed source which is allowed under the Radioactive Substances (Smoke Alarms) Exemption order (made under the Radioactive Substances Act 1960 - now carried over to the Radioactive Substances Act 1993) ....

In order to glow in the dark using radioactive materials you need an 'alpha' emitter and a scintillator (e.g. Zinc Sulphide). Whilst U will produce alpha particles I would think that the rate of emission would be too low to produce an effect .....

What you need is an alpha emitter with a high specific activity and Ra-226 springs to mind - and that is something you would NOT want to carry around ..!!

cheers

Mark

edit - I should add that you can achieve a similar effect (using different physics) using a weak beta emitter like Tritium. A typical example here is the use of H-3 in warning signs. However you need bogging loads of H-3 to achieve the effect .....

edit 2 . or you can achieve a nice blue glow using cherenkov radiation. To produce this you would need a nice size swimming pool and about 1000 TBq of Co-60 .... not something you would want to carry around .... !¬!
And, if you can still buy them, gas mantles contain thorium. I'm sure that a geological supply house would sell you a lump of pitchblende. If anyone still does wet chemistry nowadays, zinc uranyl acetate is used in the analysis of potassium.

Maggy
12-01-2004, 23:58
I'm intrigued. What does the £65 one do exactly?

Just like the cheaper version it smashes the light fittings when the child...err adult has a right good swing with it indoors.

Incog. :D

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 00:07
Just like the cheaper version it smashes the light fittings when the child...err adult has a right good swing with it indoors.

You've been talking to my mum again haven't you? :D

Maggy
13-01-2004, 00:15
You've been talking to my mum again haven't you? :D

No,but my 20 year old daughter hasn't lived down two Christmas's ago. :rofl:

Us Mothers have to have some amusement. :D

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 00:16
No,but my 20 year old daughter hasn't lived down two Christmas's ago. :rofl:

Us Mothers have to have some amusement. :D

You have a 20 year old daughter....... :)

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 00:18
You have a 20 year old daughter....... :)Steady, steady, down boy! :D

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 00:20
Steady, steady, down boy! :D

I was just thinking for comparing lightsabers!

danielf
13-01-2004, 00:21
You have a 20 year old daughter....... :)

I bet she will be very impressed with your £65 light saber ;)

Maggy
13-01-2004, 00:25
[QUOTE=Xaccers]You have a 20 year old daughter....... :)[/QUOT

Incog thinks of daughter's preffered pin ups.
Marylyn Manson,Jarvis Cocker,Morrissy,David Bowie,Justin Timberlake.Think you can measure up?

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 00:27
Incog thinks of daughter's preffered pin ups.
Marylyn Manson,Jarvis Cocker,Morrissy,David Bowie,Justin Timberlake.Think you can measure up?

I'm probably too dull for her :(

Maggy
13-01-2004, 00:29
I'm probably too dull for her :(

But you both like playing with light sabers :D

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 00:31
But you both like playing with light sabers :D

Well it looks like I'm going to be single soon, so put a good word in for me :)

Maggy
13-01-2004, 00:45
Well it looks like I'm going to be single soon, so put a good word in for me :)

Not a good idea! Can't think of one teenage daughter taking her mothers advice when it comes to picking boyfriends. :D

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 00:48
Not a good idea! Can't think of one teenage daughter taking her mothers advice when it comes to picking boyfriends. :D

Ok, put in a bad word for me :P

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 00:50
I was just thinking for comparing lightsabers!Or were you thinking of showing her your lightsaber? :D

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 00:51
Well it looks like I'm going to be single soonSorry to hear that m8 :sorry:

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 00:55
Sorry to hear that m8 :sorry:

Ok, I'm single now.

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 01:00

I did that with a tennis racquet once ( I was 10) :blush:

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 01:02
I did that with a tennis racquet once ( I was 10) :blush:

A friend of mine did it with a pillow when he stayed over

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 01:08
A friend of mine did it with a pillow when he stayed over
Your parents must have been so pleased..... :D

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 01:10
Your parents must have been so pleased..... :D

They actually made him pay for it which was cool :)

His parents were teachers at a school for kids who were violent and disruptive, but they were two hippies, and their own kids were the most undisiplied kids I'd ever met!

Ramrod
14-01-2004, 17:17
Ok, I'm single now.Lock up your daughters! :D

Graham
15-01-2004, 02:40
Ok, I'm single now.

Lock up your daughters! :D

I don't have any, but I'm willing to offer a service for anyone who has...!! :naughty:

Xaccers
15-01-2004, 02:45
I don't have any, but I'm willing to offer a service for anyone who has...!! :naughty:

Mum, can I borrow your dungeon? :naughty:

Graham
15-01-2004, 02:52
Mum, can I borrow your dungeon? :naughty:

No, but when I've bought my next place and installed it you can rent it like anyone else will be able to!

(PS: This isn't a joke! :) )

Xaccers
15-01-2004, 02:54
No, but when I've bought my next place and installed it you can rent it like anyone else will be able to!

(PS: This isn't a joke! :) )

Will nthw'rs get a discount?

Download Failed (1)

Graham
15-01-2004, 03:10
[QUOTE=Xaccers]Will nthw'rs get a discount?

Hell no. Most of them will even have to pay a deposit because I know just how bad some of them can be...!! :D

Xaccers
01-02-2004, 23:57
It has arrived.
I am now the proud owner of a replica Luke Skywalker lightsaber and by the force it is sweet
Will get pics asap

Xaccers
02-02-2004, 03:41
Feel the force

Graham
02-02-2004, 04:34
Rearrange the following words to get a well known phrase or saying:

Life Get A

:D:D:D

Xaccers
02-02-2004, 04:42
Rearrange the following words to get a well known phrase or saying:

Life Get A

:D:D:D

This from the bloke who's planning his own dungeon? :D

Ramrod
03-02-2004, 01:15
Feel the forceI am suitably jealous :D

This from the bloke who's planning his own dungeon? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Xaccers
03-02-2004, 01:33
I am suitably jealous :D

Now what I don't get is that you and I see it and say "wow! that's cool!" but your wife would look at it and say "You spent HOW much?" and just not understand

Graham
03-02-2004, 03:48
This from the bloke who's planning his own dungeon? :D

How many people are going to be willing to pay you fifty quid an hour to play with *your* toys?!?!

PS I've just read your "male escort" message in another thread and I could say something *really* bitchy here if I wasn't such a nice guy! :angel:

Xaccers
03-02-2004, 03:58
How many people are going to be willing to pay you fifty quid an hour to play with *your* toys?!?!

PS I've just read your "male escort" message in another thread and I could say something *really* bitchy here if I wasn't such a nice guy! :angel:

I'd rather they paid *me* £50 an hour to play with me (but as you can see, for the right woman I'll settle for 50p) :)

As for the male escort bit, in my defence, I'd had a few too many tequillas, the ad was in the mag, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and the only difference between that and my life at the time was I'd get paid for doing it.

Maggy
03-02-2004, 09:30
Feel the force

Ah! No lighting is safe.

Incog. :wavey: