PDA

View Full Version : [merged] Price increase

Pages : [1] 2 3

Graham F
11-01-2004, 18:47
I have heard rumours when speaking to tech support and c/s the other day that we are due to have a price increase in the next few months.

They weren't too sure of the details but they seem to think that the 600k and 1MB will be going up by a few quid each. can anyone that works for ntl confirm this?

also the tv package is going to have its annual increase (thanks sky) :rolleyes:

Derek
11-01-2004, 19:01
Haven't heard anything about this.

Only time I've heard this mentioned was someone on the digitalspy forum. The general concensus over there was that any changes would be after the Langley CR3 rollout and probably be in line with Sky's charges. There wasn't any mention of internet price rises.

paulyoung666
I have heard rumours when speaking to tech support and c/s the other day that we are due to have a price increase in the next few months.

They weren't too sure of the details but they seem to think that the 600k and 1MB will be going up by a few quid each. can anyone that works for ntl confirm this?

also the tv package is going to have its annual increase (thanks sky) :rolleyes:

well if they do i reckon they will be comitting commercial suicide :(

DrAwesome

I think my sky package went up by 60p (searches for the letter from sky+ about the increase) if i rightly remember it wasnt as much as last years increase.

If the ntl 1meg bb price is going up makes my choice of switching to 2meg adsl for £39.99 a month even better :)

Graham F
11-01-2004, 19:03
Haven't heard anything about this.

Only time I've heard this mentioned was someone on the digitalspy forum. The general concensus over there was that any changes would be after the Langley CR3 rollout and probably be in line with Sky's charges. There wasn't any mention of internet price rises.

ntl tend to from previous years experience do price rises around May?!?!

the BB price increase seems logical in as much as these are the only tiers not to of had one!!

i agree Paul it would be stupid but hey what do we know :shrug:

Mick
11-01-2004, 19:35
I suppose a rise is due but I am hardly suprised when it seems two ntl executives, award themselves with bonuses, £28Mill ion to be precise. NTL just love to rub the salt in their customers wounds.

tkiely
11-01-2004, 19:51
I'm afraid that any price increase will have me downgrading to 600 or moving elsewhere.

I don't seem to get 1meg for most of the time, its always lagging for some reason, so a price increase will be the final straw. I hardly touch the phone yet pay over £100 each mth. Enough is enough.

(2 stbs, 1meg BB, 2nd phone line oh and film 4 with family pack)

paulyoung666
11-01-2004, 20:15
I suppose a rise is due but I am hardly suprised when it seems two ntl executives, award themselves with bonuses, £28Mill ion to be precise. NTL just love to rub the salt in their customers wounds.

it would be stupid though , adsl is getting cheaper :eek:

Tricky
11-01-2004, 20:16
From someone considering the 1mb service, I'll be running to the hills for ADSL 2mb

David25
12-01-2004, 17:56
No rumours or truths coming from here. Although, IMO, seeing as broadband is the biggest profit area already and competitor prices are falling, I don't think it would be a good idea.

br3ach
12-01-2004, 17:58
I have heard no rumour of a price increase and considering working here, I think I would have, if people outside here have ...

Probably made up again, and then blown out of proportion by somebody like always happens in the forums :/

Foo Fighter
12-01-2004, 18:14
If the price went up by anything more than 1p i'll be off to grab me coat and get 2mb adsl for a while :D

sitting on the fence atm because the service is getting pretty poor now, (email, newsservers etc) and if there was a price increase that would be enough to get me moving...

Doubt they would if anything prices should come down. 1mb for £30, 600k for £22 and 150k increased to 256k... that would be nice

Mick
12-01-2004, 18:19
I have heard no rumour of a price increase and considering working here, I think I would have, if people outside here have ...

Probably made up again, and then blown out of proportion by somebody like always happens in the forums :/You got to admit though, a price rise is due everything else is going up this year, gas electric etc etc, ntl are porbably thinking, 'I know lets join that bandwagon.' :rolleyes:

orangebird
12-01-2004, 18:22
You got to admit though, a price rise is due everything else is going up this year, gas electric etc etc, ntl are porbably thinking, 'I know lets join that bandwagon.' :rolleyes:
Or maybe the price rises that ntl incur every year have to be balanced out somewhere? :rolleyes:

Mick
12-01-2004, 18:27
Or maybe the price rises that ntl incur every year have to be balanced out somewhere? :rolleyes:Can you justify the pay bonuses the ntl executives got and then NTL decide to increase their charges Orangebird? Because I am finding hard to.

darkangel
12-01-2004, 18:29
Or maybe the price rises that ntl incur every year have to be balanced out somewhere? :rolleyes:true how about multi million $$$ or savings from incompetent management etc

br3ach
12-01-2004, 18:29
All executives get big fat bonuses, no matter how te company is doing ...

You cant justify any of it really, considering they are allready on an inflated wage for doing nothing except making bad decisions

The people who deserve the bonuses are us lot in the line of fire from the customers. And not all of us at that. But why they should get a ton more money on top of their wage when it could be spent on improving stuff for us, the staff and the customers, I dont know ...

orangebird
12-01-2004, 18:32
Can you justify the pay bonuses the ntl executives got and then NTL decide to increase their charges Orangebird? Because I am finding hard to.

You don't have to tell me - I work for them.....the employee share scheme was written off when we went into chapter 11, and we haven't had a sniff of them since....your question I feel was a wee bit patronising. :mad:

But ntl do have to absorb price increases themselves. They're trying to be a profit making organisation, not a charity. edit - plus the bonus comes from a good shareprice, not from ntls purse.... :shrug:

darkangel
12-01-2004, 18:39
They're trying to be a profit making organisation, not a charity.again true not a problem they raise prices we walk cheaper faster sevices and provider hmmm...where's that phone book

Mick
12-01-2004, 18:40
You don't have to tell me - I work for them.....the employee share scheme was written off when we went into chapter 11, and we haven't had a sniff of them since....your question I feel was a wee bit patronising. :mad:

But ntl do have to absorb price increases themselves. They're trying to be a profit making organisation, not a charity. :shrug:
My question was not meant to patronising Orangebird, how could it be? When you know, that I know that you work for them.

I find it very frustrating when bosses award themselves big payouts when they can decide to invest that money, sort their services out and perhaps award their staff that work very hard, i.e you. Still find that patronising?

If ntl the company, want to be a profit making organisation they should not be paying out fat cheques to executives who have not even been at ntl for that long.

paulyoung666
12-01-2004, 18:45

Probably made up again, and then blown out of proportion by somebody like always happens in the forums :/

i thought ntl employees were the last to know anyway :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , sorry mate , as for the inflation price rise , you have still got to look at adsl getting cheaper , cutting of throats springs to mind :(

br3ach
12-01-2004, 18:48
ADSL getting cheaper, but no cheaper for the companies to enable your exchange ...

Good luck getting it :)

Skweeky
12-01-2004, 19:11
I have heard mention of analogue TV services being increased in price shortly but nothing about broadband.

paulyoung666
12-01-2004, 19:18
I have heard mention of analogue TV services being increased in price shortly but nothing about broadband.

tv is going up because sky has increased there prices :(

Mick
12-01-2004, 19:20
tv is going up because sky has increased there prices :(
I guess that cannot be helped really.

Shaun
12-01-2004, 19:32
ADSL getting cheaper, but no cheaper for the companies to enable your exchange ...

Most of the exchanges are now enabled, *0% of the country live near enough to an enabled exchange, thats ALOT more potential customers than Ntl could ever dream of.

I don't see a problem for any Ntl customer switching, as Ntl mostly cable the inner city's which have excellent exchanges!

br3ach
12-01-2004, 19:39
Most of the exchanges are now enabled, *0% of the country live near enough to an enabled exchange, thats ALOT more potential customers than Ntl could ever dream of.

I don't see a problem for any Ntl customer switching, as Ntl mostly cable the inner city's which have excellent exchanges!
Where did you get your figures from?

Because I still know a heck of a lot of poeple (family etc...) in different parts of the country that cant get BT or other ADSL as their exchange isnt enabled but they can get NTL :)

Im just curious, not trying to argue, but would like to know your sources for my own interests :)

paulyoung666
12-01-2004, 20:12
I guess that cannot be helped really.

surely cant , i just wonder how long it will be before ppl start revolting against sky ????????????????

DrAwesome
12-01-2004, 20:21
surely cant , i just wonder how long it will be before ppl start revolting against sky ????????????????

Sky increase their subscriptions every year, i can not remember a year when there has been no price increase since they launched their digital channels.

I think they would have to be an aweful lot of dissatisfied customers to bring sky to their knees.

rodd
12-01-2004, 21:51
The ADSL prices seem to be going down over 12 months (unless that is my imagination), they seem to either, absorb any inflation, or have a negative inflation as they grow in size.

NTL should, in theory, be able to undercut ADSL's prices, because of their size. A big company has the economy-of-scale to be able to undercut small companies, unless the big company happens to be top-heavy or badly managed. Myself, I think the gap will widen between ntl and ADSL.

The exchanges are being ADSL triggered 'by-the-day'... almost. The number required for the trigger, and the number needed, is in a lot of cases, only requiring 10 more people showing interest, to cause the exchange to be ADSL enabled. Just maybe half a dozen more people registering interest (with no commitment) will do it. So enlighten those that may not be aware of this.

All exchanges are shown here, showing how many more are needed to get your particular exchange enabled.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/availability/btprereg.asp?order=trig

Shaun
12-01-2004, 22:05
Im just curious, not trying to argue, but would like to know your sources for my own interests :)

www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3100282.stm ;)

br3ach
12-01-2004, 22:09
www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3100282.stm (http://www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3100282.stm) ;)
Thanks, but its a bad link (bad gateway)

I just checked my exchange

Sheesh, I didnt realise they had enabled my exchange

That must have been recently :) (for me) or :( (for my job) lol

Well, looks like they dropped their amount of people required to enable the exchange.

DrAwesome
12-01-2004, 22:12

Well, looks like they dropped their amount of people required to enable the exchange.

The ADSL Guide (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/) site is a good website to keep ontop of most info with regards to adsl.. its worth a visit :tu:

kronas
12-01-2004, 22:13
From someone considering the 1mb service, I'll be running to the hills for ADSL 2mb

ive been looking at ADSL recently its getting very attractive to move providers........

im on the 1mbit service if the price was to increase, then i would have no hesitation to leave for 2mbit ADSL

but for now, its just speculation, so we just have to wait and see.........

corrected link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3100282.stm

Shaun
12-01-2004, 22:20

No I cant get there now either but here's (http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=broadband+uk+80%25) the google search of it, the comments about 80% coverage are repeated in several sites listed there ;)

edit "UK - BT's ADSL coverage reaches 80 percent of UK households "

link (http://www.hostingtech.com/news/2003/9/12/St_Nitf_UK_BTs_ADSL_coverage_reaches_8_e0910617.2i w.html)

br3ach
12-01-2004, 22:24
I just looked into my exchange info again

It says its enabled, but I may live to far away and not be able to have it, so even tho my exchange is enabled (BT as included it in their figures) it doesnt mean I can use their service :/

I wonder how much of this 80% is bloated with the people who cant actually use their 'enabled' exchange?

Shaun
12-01-2004, 22:37
I just looked into my exchange info again

It says its enabled, but I may live to far away and not be able to have it, so even tho my exchange is enabled (BT as included it in their figures) it doesnt mean I can use their service :/

I wonder how much of this 80% is bloated with the people who cant actually use their 'enabled' exchange?

BT also extends, following successful trials, the reach of broadband in enabled exchange areas to homes within approximately 6 km line length of the exchange, subject to line test. This move, extending the previous limit of approximately 5.5 km line length, increases the proportion of people who can receive broadband in enabled areas from approximately 94 percent to 97 percent.

link (http://www.hostingtech.com/news/2003/9/12/St_Nitf_UK_BTs_ADSL_coverage_reaches_8_e0910617.2i w.html)

themelon
13-01-2004, 01:11
Sky increase their subscriptions every year, i can not remember a year when there has been no price increase since they launched their digital channels.

I think they would have to be an aweful lot of dissatisfied customers to bring sky to their knees.

Its bollox too.........

With most things the more customers the lower the price.........with fecking Sky the price goes up.......god I hate those scumbags.

Crazy thing is they can get away with it, because their monopoly has killed any hope of competition in this joke of a country! There is Cable or Sky 70% of the population cant get cable, so if they want DTV they have to get Sky......with no-one to compete whos gonna stop the putting up prices?? poor old joe public will keep on forking out subscriptions from hard earned wages, along with taxes, taxes, fines and taxes from our mavelous government!!

DrAwesome
13-01-2004, 01:27
The rest of Europe have a nick name for England they call it treasure island because we will pay without kicking up a fuss... we pay more than the rest of europe for the majority of things.

peachey
13-01-2004, 02:02
I have heard whispers that gold cable modem is going up £2
rest is staying the same

playstation/xbox packages dropping down £2

Fawkes
13-01-2004, 02:15
Its bollox too.........

With most things the more customers the lower the price.........with fecking Sky the price goes up.......god I hate those scumbags.

Crazy thing is they can get away with it, because their monopoly has killed any hope of competition in this joke of a country! There is Cable or Sky 70% of the population cant get cable, so if they want DTV they have to get Sky......with no-one to compete whos gonna stop the putting up prices?? poor old joe public will keep on forking out subscriptions from hard earned wages, along with taxes, taxes, fines and taxes from our mavelous government!!

Don't forget Freeview and whats this about fines? Did you forget to return your library books again melon? :)

th'engineer
13-01-2004, 07:22
Can you justify the pay bonuses the ntl executives got and then NTL decide to increase their charges Orangebird? Because I am finding hard to.Must admit you have a point there think the BB prices are on the edge of being inelastic. Can not stretch them anymore, the TV SKY are out there with cheap deals. Not forgetting BT,cheaper calls

paulyoung666
13-01-2004, 09:12
just checked and i am only 50% towards getting adsl :(

gary_580
13-01-2004, 10:51
I dont have an issue with price increases at the level of cost of living (although this going on and on makes the UK uncompetitive due to staffing costs and work gets outsourced to India, where will it end) However i do disagree with companies that put the price up but dont increase the value of the service. GET IT WORKING NTL THEN SET THE PRICE!!

themelon
13-01-2004, 15:06
Did you forget to return your library books again melon? :)

No I didnt see the Speed Camera, so now im paying £5 extra on my fine to pay criminals who get bitten by someones dog while trying to burgle their house compensation!! Any Chance I can claim compensation?? I didnt give them permission to take my photo!!!

Also I parked 31cms from the curb and got fined £60!! As well as paying my car tax a day late and being fined £80!!

the TV SKY are out there with cheap deals. Not forgetting BT,cheaper calls

Sky only really have cheap deals on installation, taking these is generally a mistake anyway in my experience pay for a decent installation is my word of advice!! Other than that is damn well expensive and keeps on going up. When I left Sky the World Package was £34 I think thats less than 2 years ago, and now its £40.... ..........price rises well beyond inflation, what exactly is Skys reason??!!

BT its self isnt necessarily cheaper for calls, depending on you calling patterns it can be very pricey......not forgetting the Standard Plan (£9.50) which calls cost 7.9p a minute for day time national calls!! And Talk Unlimited 24 is also cheaper than the equivilent BT package. It is true their are good deals on a BT line, through different providers.......providing you can get an acceptible line quality in the first place!!

ian@huth
13-01-2004, 15:56
Sky only really have cheap deals on installation, taking these is generally a mistake anyway in my experience pay for a decent installation is my word of advice!! Other than that is damn well expensive and keeps on going up. When I left Sky the World Package was £34 I think thats less than 2 years ago, and now its £40.... ..........price rises well beyond inflation, what exactly is Skys reason??!!

BT its self isnt necessarily cheaper for calls, depending on you calling patterns it can be very pricey......not forgetting the Standard Plan (£9.50) which calls cost 7.9p a minute for day time national calls!! And Talk Unlimited 24 is also cheaper than the equivilent BT package. It is true their are good deals on a BT line, through different providers.......providing you can get an acceptible line quality in the first place!!

Sky quite often telephone their customers who are on the lower tier packages and offer them free or reduced price upgrades for a period

There is nothing wrong with the subsidised installs, mine have always been first class. You get good and bad installers with whoever you choose, paid for independents or subsidised installers. Sometimes the subsidised installers are independents who Sky have contracted. The same is true with NTL installers, some are very good and others are horrendously bad.

Maybe Sky prices have risen by more than the rate of inflation but not by as high a rate as my NTL package has increased. What is NTLs excuse for this when the quality of their services has decreased?

You forget to say in your telephony price comparisons that the BT standard plan includes £2.15 of free calls and that evening and weekend local calls are cheaper on this plan than with the NTL 3-2-1 plan. For the user who makes very few calls it is cheaper than anything NTL have to offer.

For those who make more calls then BTs 6p call plan is the same price as NTLs but does not suffer from the NTL 5p connection charge during peak weekday hours. Instead it offers discounts on calls at this time to your friends and family circle.

You also fail to show the comparison with the Talk Unlimited plan which is £1 cheaper with BT than NTL and again has no connection charge with BT during peak weekday hours and has the friends and family discounts.

The only plan where NTL is cheaper is the talk unlimited 24 which is £3.50 cheaper with NTL. Lets face it though, you have to be making a lot of peak weekday calls to geographic numbers to gain from this plan.

All in all, the best plan for most people is the BT Together 6p plan with judicial use of another provider (such as call18866) during peak weekday time and for very short offpeak calls. Not only do you have cheaper calls but also the ability to choose from many ADSL providers (if within the correct distance on an enabled exchange).

orangebird
13-01-2004, 16:01
<snip>For those who make more calls then BTs 6p call plan is the same price as NTLs but does not suffer from the NTL 5p connection charge during peak weekday hours. Instead it offers discounts on calls at this time to your friends and family circle.

>snip

True, bt doesn't suffer the connection call charge of 5p - but it DOES suffer a minimum call charge of 5p if I'm not mistaken? - edit - no, I'm not mistaken, just checked their tariffs.

Just wanted to get ALL the facts in the open, you understand. :)

ian@huth
13-01-2004, 16:07
True, bt doesn't suffer the connection call charge of 5p - but it DOES suffer a minimum call charge if I'm not mistaken?

Quite true OB, forgot to mention that point but it doesn't detract from the fact that BT are cheaper, but I would far sooner have a minimum 5p charge than an extra 5p charge. That is why I put in the option of using a provider such as call18866 for very short calls as they only have a 1p connection charge and 1p per minute call charge.

Shaun
13-01-2004, 17:10
True, bt doesn't suffer the connection call charge of 5p - but it DOES suffer a minimum call charge of 5p if I'm not mistaken? - edit - no, I'm not mistaken, just checked their tariffs.

The difference if Ntl charge you 5p ON TOP OF you call charge, BT charge you a minimum of 5p, its a big different over the year.

Again, I advocate using a third party calling company, I use Call18866.co.uk now I'm with BT (1p per min during the day!!!) When I was with Ntl I used One.Tel. They can save you a bomb! :D

JohnM
13-01-2004, 17:14
Out if intrest... where does one get 2 meg DSL for £39.99? :)

I have a feeling i'll be there like a shot.

orangebird
13-01-2004, 17:15
The difference if Ntl charge you 5p ON TOP OF you call charge, BT charge you a minimum of 5p, its a big different over the year.

Again, I advocate using a third party calling company, I use Call18866.co.uk now I'm with BT (1p per min during the day!!!) When I was with Ntl I used One.Tel. They can save you a bomb! :D

Absolutely - if you make lots of short calls, you're definitely better off with bt - otherwise it's 6 of one etc....

I just wanted ALL the facts. :)

paulyoung666
13-01-2004, 17:17

bulldog do it for one :)

Shaun
13-01-2004, 17:41
bulldog do it for one :)

I'm on their 2mbit prime-time tariff, 512k during the day and 2Mbit after 6pm and at weekends/bank holidays, it costs £29.99 on offer, but I'm not sure when it ends.

An around excellent product so far, I can recommend them with pride ;)

I also believe Silver-mead do a 2mbit service too :)

DrAwesome
13-01-2004, 18:10

I use 2mb adsl service all the time for £39.99 have a
Read of Post #10 (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5145) if you have time i have listed 2 adsl isp's that offer 2mb at £39.99 (links are provided)

Graham F
13-01-2004, 20:32

I hope you are not trying to say that i just made this up?!?

only time will tell in the end but i have a feeling that what i heard is true :angel:

Foo Fighter
13-01-2004, 20:37
So its £29 for 2mb offpeak? and about £10 for the line rental from bt?

and if i get rid of ntl bb and fone i might as well ditch the tv as it costs loads if i dont need the included line rental... its one out all out with ntl.

DrAwesome
14-01-2004, 13:27
So its £29 for 2mb offpeak? and about £10 for the line rental from bt?

and if i get rid of ntl bb and fone i might as well ditch the tv as it costs loads if i dont need the included line rental... its one out all out with ntl.

An Isp called Bulldog (http://www.bulldogdsl.com/special_offers.asp) have a 2mb off peak service & the BT standard line rental is around £10 (plus you get a few quids worth of offpeak free calls) have a read in here (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37) for all the info you need

Salu
14-01-2004, 15:54
NTL INCREASE THE PRICE OF BROADBAND. 600K GOES UP FROM £24.99 TO......
[Sponsored by Pipex Dial]

Mass exodus would ensue......

aggie
14-01-2004, 17:31
just checked and i am only 50% towards getting adsl :(
My exchange is only at 27%, and I'm probably too far away to get it :(

But wireless broadband is currently being rolled out to the villages around here, so hopefully I'll escape ntl via that route within a few weks :)

Stuartbe
14-01-2004, 18:47
My exchange is only at 27%, and I'm probably too far away to get it :(

But wireless broadband is currently being rolled out to the villages around here, so hopefully I'll escape ntl via that route within a few weks :)

I am within two miles so I will be o.k.

I am leaving NTL at the end of the month. I think they will increase there prices as they have to pay the MD'S that extra cash :D

Even if they did'nt I would not stay with them. I have had enough of there poor service and poor support.

asdf
14-01-2004, 21:06
I think they will increase there prices as they have to pay the MD'S that extra cash :D

I wish it was only ntl: that did this :/

Gareth
14-01-2004, 23:16
Something that nobody has yet mentioned is the potential that ADSL has to grow in the future - check out ADSL2 and ADSL2+. I don't see how ntl, with their current infrastructure (or lack of), would be able to compete.

asdf
15-01-2004, 14:16
Cable, theoretically can supply much higher speeds than ADSL can. There would need to be a lot of investment put in, but it can be done.

Cable and ADSL wont be the last of the internet products, something will come along sooner or later that wipes both of them.

Chrysalis
16-01-2004, 12:59
I wish it was only ntl: that did this :/

The reason why people are rambling about that wasted millions of pounds is because its needed elsewhere and its a failing company, if it was successful then it wouldn't matter so much.

If it is true that analogue tv (inferior service to digital already overpriced) gets a price rise and the top 2 tiers get a rise then I will cancel.

Ntl need to sort out their quality of service before they start charging more, I have said it before and I will say it again, upgrade ALL areas to digital ntl you are offering a 2 tier service for same price.

Also why only price rise for top 2 tiers, there shouldn't be any at all but only rising price on top 2 tiers is just stupid, this will be commercial suicide like it has been mentioned.

I will also mention if I had sky digi, and if it was anything liek the extra service I had when I was on sky digi I would be ok with the rise, the difference is sky are succesful and their service is of high quality, ntl's isnt.

asdf
16-01-2004, 14:24
The reason why people are rambling about that wasted millions of pounds is because its needed elsewhere and its a failing company, if it was successful then it wouldn't matter so much.

Again. I wish it was just ntl that did this.

Chrysalis
17-01-2004, 08:14
Again. I wish it was just ntl that did this.

they are the only ones during it in the telecommunications sector, BT suspended all payouts while they were in trouble.

asdf
17-01-2004, 15:46
They're definately not the only ones doing it though. The company I worked for just fired somebody because they fscked up a project, lost us lots of money and share price, then gave them a £100,00 0+ "Sorry you did so badly" present.

Yah, good thinking there!

Neil
22-01-2004, 22:37
Ok, Here's what I believe to be happening regarding price rises.....

It would appear that both 1 Meg & 600k ntl broadband will both be going up by £2.00 per month (I'm not 100% certaian on the 600k)

It would also appear that the folks that make these decisions have seen a bit of sense at last, & have chosen not to increase the price of the 150k service.

DTV it also appears will be going up, although we believe how much by has still to be confirmed, as apparently the decision was only made on the 15th of this month.

So-£38.00 1 meg ntl BB anyone? or perhaps I can interest you in £600k BB for the attractive sum of £27 per month?-didn't think so! :D

It will be interesting to see what price they set their DSL package at when/if it launches.

Surely they can see that they are making cable BB much more unattractive when compared to ADSL?

I'll let you know more as soon as I find out.

N.

Paul
22-01-2004, 22:48
Interesting ... thx Neil. :)

DVS
22-01-2004, 23:21
NTL can kiss my business goodbye if they implement such price increases.

Salu
23-01-2004, 15:18
The only thing stopping me going over to Sky is a) the price would be more as I would not get a phone included in my "family pack" and b) the hassle.

If NTL are going ahead with this "against the trend" price increase then they either have their head buried in the sand (do have anyway...) or they feel their customers are so loyal that they will stay. True the hassle factor is a consideration but we already have some of the highest broadband charges around in this country and every month their seems to be a cheaper ADSL. What the heck are they thinking?

I will certainly look at Pipex and Sky+ a little closer. Especially as NTL do not seem to have any idea when their PVR options is coming.

carthage
23-01-2004, 21:46
I'm afraid that any price increase will have me downgrading to 600 or moving elsewhere.

I don't seem to get 1meg for most of the time, its always lagging for some reason, so a price increase will be the final straw. I hardly touch the phone yet pay over £100 each mth. Enough is enough.

(2 stbs, 1meg BB, 2nd phone line oh and film 4 with family pack)
I am afraid I will be downgrading my BB to the lowest rate or even going back to standard modem - and dail up

havana
23-01-2004, 23:43
looks like its getting near time to get on the phone to BT and then sort an asdl package out

Neil
24-01-2004, 00:33
looks like its getting near time to get on the phone to BT and then sort an asdl package out

This is all you need......

http://65.75.139.49/forum/showthread.php?t=4697

mmm
24-01-2004, 00:48

It would appear that both 1 Meg & 600k ntl broadband will both be going up by £2.00 per month (I'm not 100% certaian on the 600k)

It would also appear that the folks that make these decisions have seen a bit of sense at last, & have chosen not to increase the price of the 150k service.
So-£38.00 1 meg ntl BB anyone? or perhaps I can interest you in £600k BB for the attractive sum of £27 per month?-didn't think so! :D

It will be interesting to see what price they set their DSL package at when/if it launches.

Surely they can see that they are making cable BB much more unattractive when compared to ADSL?

N.

No-one in their right mind would do this, standard ADSL 512 has 256 up, ntl 600 has only 128 up, it has to be cheaper than the ADSL or there will be a mass exodus. And cable BB is the only thing that keeps many customers to phone and DTV. But when has ntl ever been run by people who think straight!

Maggy
24-01-2004, 00:54

DTV it also appears will be going up, although we believe how much by has still to be confirmed, as apparently the decision was only made on the 15th of this month.

N.

I should think that they shouldn't increase the 150k service as they fecking well put it up last spring.It was the only increase that they made in BB too.Insert indignant smiley here. :mad:

Incog. :(

DrAwesome
24-01-2004, 01:03
You have to remember at the end of the day NTL are a business & there are no prizes for NTL if they are kind to customers, if & when NTL increase their prices & customers react by leaving then NTL's Marketing Department will probably have to have a re-think.(unless they have taken into account that some customers will leave) & are calculating that the new customers will fill in the spaces left.

Alan Waddington
24-01-2004, 01:22
Price rises are never good (unless its you that are charging :) ). I notice tiscali want £25pcm for 500kbps & bt want a socking £30pcm for 512kbps. Maybe NTL are heading for the middle ground on pricing.

/edit Pipex appear to want £23.44p cm, for 500kbps. I suppose NTL's mid-range offering is 20% faster, so it's not really a fair comparison. I wonder if Pipex's email works (Silly question - i still have a dial-up account with pipex which works fine)

Neil
24-01-2004, 02:29
I wonder if Pipex's email works (Silly question - i still have a dial-up account with pipex which works fine)

I can confirm that it does!

I have not had an issue with my Pipex connection since I got it in November. :angel: :D

th'engineer
24-01-2004, 08:37
Pipex appear to want £23.44p cm, for 500kbps. I suppose NTL's mid-range offering is 20% faster, so it's not really a fair comparison. I wonder if Pipex's email works (Silly question - i still have a dial-up account with pipex which works fine)Sorry to correct you but NTL is slower upstream, if you are a gamer ADSL is the cheapest option also if you have a website ADSL is better.

To get rates for upload similar to ADSL you have to have the 1 meg package

th'engineer
24-01-2004, 08:43
No-one in their right mind would do this, standard ADSL 512 has 256 up, ntl 600 has only 128 up, it has to be cheaper than the ADSL or there will be a mass exodus. And cable BB is the only thing that keeps many customers to phone and DTV. But when has ntl ever been run by people who think straight!
We are talking NTL here they are not known for there rational thinking now are they

Fawkes
24-01-2004, 12:27
Sorry to correct you but NTL is slower upstream, if you are a gamer ADSL is the cheapest option also if you have a website ADSL is better.

To get rates for upload similar to ADSL you have to have the 1 meg package

You have a website and your on NTL, strange how you keep advising people to use ADSL but don't take your own advice :confused:

DrAwesome
24-01-2004, 12:47
For your ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â£ÃƒÆ ’‚£ each month what do you need from your isp?
Good Service
Good Reliability
Good Speed
Good Price
Satisfaction

Fawkes
24-01-2004, 13:28
Good Service 8/10
Good Reliability 7/10
Good Speed 9/10
Good Price 8/10
Satisfaction 9/10

purenuman
24-01-2004, 13:29
I think I'll be trying Central POINT's 2meg £35.49

3mth min contract and static IP.

http://www.cpbb.co.uk/ (http://www.cpbb.co.uk/)

ynwa
24-01-2004, 15:19
Centralpoint is very cheap. No mail or newsgroups though.

rodd
24-01-2004, 15:59
As long as ntl have at least, new (unaware) customers, balancing out the disgruntled leavers, ntl will not care much.

With sites such as this one, enlightening the unwary, the balance of the churn rate can shift as leavers increase, encouraging ntl to a more competitive and even better service.

Voicing how much better, alternative services are, will help in that respect (better service, competition), as will customers actually going to those alternative services.

As for the 150k £17.99 price going up, when for £18.99 you can get 500k, (modem £42, BT line), well the ntl 150k is already way-way over priced.

Graham F
24-01-2004, 17:18
As long as ntl have at least, new (unaware) customers, balancing out the disgruntled leavers, ntl will not care much.

With sites such as this one, enlightening the unwary, the balance of the churn rate can shift as leavers increase, encouraging ntl to a more competitive and even better service.

Voicing how much better, alternative services are, will help in that respect (better service, competition), as will customers actually going to those alternative services.

As for the 150k £17.99 price going up, when for £18.99 you can get 500k, (modem £42, BT line), well the ntl 150k is already way-way over priced.

What does that make the dial up services that cost £14.99 and 15.99 then? :eek:

Maggy
24-01-2004, 17:24
how reliable is BT's phone service these days?As I've said before I got fed up with their phone service which is why I went to what was Nynex then.

Incog.

th'engineer
24-01-2004, 17:52
that reminds me good old nynex and cwc

rodd
24-01-2004, 19:22
What does that make the dial up services that cost £14.99 and 15.99 then? :eek:A rip-off, when you can now get ADSL for £14.99, 150k (I think, main towns so far). !

Loop
24-01-2004, 20:09
NTL due to price increase, and what for when you get conection interupt slow web brouseing slow email or none, i spend more money on customer suport so i should get my net free i payed by my phone bill in complaints, i when to a freinds house and his 56k was faster then mine i pay £24.99 and he pays £5 one day they had problems and cut me off for 3 days and sais they have to come to my house to diff up the routors to repair them befor they turn my net on rofl this is why i paid over top for NTL so if price rise then i will go else were:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Loop
24-01-2004, 20:15
http://www.cpbb.co.uk/

Line Activation £29.99 (one off charge) SpeedPrice per month
256k £19.49
512k£22 .491
1Meg£26 .992
2Meg£35 .49
can any one give any info on this and if its any good

carthage
25-01-2004, 01:03
Some CSAs did not even get a rise last time round and some did

etccarmageddon
25-01-2004, 12:07

N.

if this is true, I'm off to bulldog!

RamJet
25-01-2004, 13:11
Well . . . . . its all about serviced for me ( ie getting value for money !)

The problems for the NTL Board as *THEY*contemplate a price hike are manyfold eg :-

1. Lack of TV channels on NTL Digital (where is VH2 for instance? missing 40 channels or so )

2. Lack of extra channels eg the free foreign ones - (BBC World Service and the German Spanish and Italian free to air satellite services)

3. Lack of any Enhanced Digital Service ( Sky_Direct customers get loads of extra stuff on Sky_News & Sky_Sports even though the signal has to travel 44,000KM in the ether ? ? ?

4. Lack of Broadband Capacity ( evidenced by threats to 'Cap' users who actually want to USE the whole service they pay for)

5. Lack of warm body response customer service - when We want the service it's Shut - when it does come ON it's too busy to take your call for 10 + mins (caused by being shut when customers want to seek help)

6. etc etc etc etc etc

Ramjet

bigitup_j
25-01-2004, 18:12
if ntl increase the 150k service or increase the dtv base pack price, then i will cancel my tv service, broadband and telephone and get bt phone, tiscali 150 bb and freeview - unless ntl offer something good when i call to cancel (like free tv for 6 months or half-price family pack, then i may consider staying!!)

jsatan
25-01-2004, 19:20
This may sound strange but if they do increase their prices then you can cancle even if you are in the 12 month contract.

jsatan

etccarmageddon
25-01-2004, 19:27
that's right - it's written into the contract that if prices are increased you can cancel within a month.

jsatan
25-01-2004, 19:28
Finger crossed,
jsatan

Neil
25-01-2004, 20:30
This may sound strange but if they do increase their prices then you can cancle even if you are in the 12 month contract.

jsatan

That's absolutely correct...

20. Cancellation Rights

You may cancel the Services without penalty in the following circumstances:-

(i) if We increase our Charges You may cancel those Services in respect of which the Charges have increased by giving Us one month's notice in writing within 30 days of the earlier of:

(a) such price increase being notified to You under Condition 6.2; or

(b) the date of your first bill following such price increase, irrespective of whether the minimum period in respect of those Services has expired. If You cancel Services under this Condition, the increased Charges relating to those Services will not apply to You;

(ii) if We significantly reduce the content of the Services or make any significant change to the terms and conditions of this Agreement under Condition 26(iii), You may terminate this Agreement by giving Us one month's notice in writing within 30 days of such change irrespective of whether the minimum period in respect of such Services has expired.

Maggy
25-01-2004, 22:20
That's absolutely correct...

Perhaps I should have read the horribly worded TOS a bit closer then.

Not supporters of the plain english campaign are they?

jsatan
25-01-2004, 22:25
:)

jsatan

asdf
25-01-2004, 22:58
Not supporters of the plain english campaign are they?

Not many companies are, take a look at most companies ToS and they aren't too friendly on the eye, or brain.

whistlingdixy
26-01-2004, 01:38
You have a website and your on NTL, strange how you keep advising people to use ADSL but don't take your own advice :confused:

Good point for you to answer th'engineer its late an dive had a bottle of scotch so ill ask the question.. 'if ntl: is so bad why dont you badger off to ADSL?'

I have known you on the forums for years now and you have been saying from day one how bad the bband is and how many faults you have had.... ntl: is one of a thousand choices you have these days so why the fuss??

If you went into your bank and the cashier told you to go feck yourself and when you tried the cash machine it swallowed your card and debited £24.99 from your account would you nip to Barclays and open a new account or would you spend 2 years on banking forums discussing how bad they are??

hufff pufff huufff pufffffffff :zzz:

rodd
26-01-2004, 15:57
Welcome to the forum Whistlingdixy, I'm glad you made it over the void from nthw.com-ntl, how are things back there, in never-never land? :)

Biggus
26-01-2004, 17:15
A price increase on DTV we could handle, but on BB, NO.

I'm already getting fed up with having to reboot the STB several times a week just to use the EPG, and if wasn't for the fact that we can only get 512kb ADSL MAX ATM (more than 3km from exchange), then we'd be back on BT, Sky & using ADSL.

If the price rises do occur, then I'll have no problem with dropping down to 512kb on ADSL using an ISP that actually provides a decent service & working email (thankfully I have my own domain etc.). I don't really need the 1Mb for much except downloading drivers and video files etc., but I like the extra speed, so it would be an inconvenience, but bearable when saving £12-15pm from it.

zoombini
26-01-2004, 17:31
You are most likely to get 2 months in which to end the contract, because NTL wont even bother telling you that they have put the price up for 1.... lol

bigitup_j
24-03-2004, 15:41
so there isn't going to be a price increase then??

hope there ain't

paul11974
24-03-2004, 15:46
i just wanna see ntl introduce some better packages like british telecom has

http://www.bt.com/Choices/index.jsp?obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1120&obsPage=/at_home.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=46321

Neil
24-03-2004, 15:48

http://www.bt.com/Choices/index.jsp?obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1120&obsPage=/at_home.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=46321

http://news.money.msn.co.uk/article.aspx?as=article&f=uk_-_olgbbus&t=11879&id=18045&d=20040324&i=http://news.money.msn.co.uk/mediaexportlive&ks=0&lc=en&ae=windows-1252

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10018 ;)

Neil
24-03-2004, 15:52

Why do you want to see this? ntl can't even offer Caller Display in some (most?) regions.

If you want the packages that BT offers, why not just switch back to BT? :confused:

bigitup_j
24-03-2004, 16:05
ntl does need to restructure telephone pricing, 3-2-1 WAS competative, not now.
some serious changes have to be made, otherwise ntl will be worst value for telephone (more so)

ian@huth
24-03-2004, 16:09
It makes me wonder how many people actually bother to check to see if their suppliers are competitive or if they are getting the best deal possible. I was watching the local news yesterday when there was an article on telephone rental being discussed. If I remember correctly it said that some 3 or 4 million BT customers still rent their phone from BT which costs something like £4 or £4.50 per quarter. I can't remember the exact figure and can't find it in the BT price list. You can get a simple phone these days for less than one quarters rental from BT. Why don't people look at what they are paying and save themselves some money.

I believe that it is this attitude that helps companies hold onto customers even when they are more expensive and offer lower quality services. You can see the scene in the telco, cable and satellite companies boardrooms when they discuss price increases. "Yep, lets put the prices up and give us more revenue so that we can pay ourselves bigger bonuses, the suckers will stay with us and pay it".

Maggy
24-03-2004, 16:47
I note that BT have announced that they are making their tariffs simpler to understand and their bills easier to understand about 4 days after the government complained that telephone bills were too complicated for customers to make any kind of comparison.

I for one can see that trying to make comparisons of like for like under the present systems of telephone billing(and tariffs) which all vary and are all equally confusing from all the differing companies is beyond most of us.Look at the recent hoo ha with telephone directories being open up to other companies.Comparing like for like in that situation was just as confusing too.

I suspect this is as much the reason why people won't change from one supplier to another.You also only have to look at the confusion with the power companies to know this is true.

Incog.

byron_hinson
24-03-2004, 17:31

N.
If this is going to be the case I'll be dropping down to the 600k service until another provider for 1mb comes into my area - it's insane that they are increasing these prices when they should actually be coming down.

Matuka
24-03-2004, 18:16
If 600k goes up then I go down to 150K.

And I wont do that untill NTL write to me & tell me that its gone up, in which time I will most likely have had a months use at the new rate & there is going to be one hell of an argument.!

bob_builder
24-03-2004, 19:06
It makes me wonder how many people actually bother to check to see if their suppliers are competitive or if they are getting the best deal possible. I was watching the local news yesterday when there was an article on telephone rental being discussed. If I remember correctly it said that some 3 or 4 million BT customers still rent their phone from BT which costs something like £4 or £4.50 per quarter. I can't remember the exact figure and can't find it in the BT price list. You can get a simple phone these days for less than one quarters rental from BT. Why don't people look at what they are paying and save themselves some money.
I read somewhere that most of the people who still rent their phone do not even realise that they do not have to anymore because they started renting when it was compusory and still do so.

ntl customer
24-03-2004, 21:14
Perhaps I can interest you in a 1Gb a day capped broadband service which has forced web proxies, an email service that always seems to be breaking down and unable to handle large attachments and a newsgroup service that is not complete and even struggles with text messages let alone those which have binaries in them and always managed to time out sometime or another. ;)

Why do ntl not make the fact that the service is capped in their adverts? :rolleyes:

If there is a price increase, then that will probably the final straw. I am sick of the email, proxies, cap, newsgroups and everything else associated with their service and anything that will get me out of it without having to endure another 11 or so months of this shÃÃâ€*’ÂÂÂÂ*te will be most welcome.

Why should we pay for a service that does not appear to be improving or at least is usable?

Marge
25-03-2004, 00:01
Well I could tell but then I'd have to kill everyone :D

Stuartbe
25-03-2004, 00:17
Personaly I would pay well over £100 for internet services - I spend more than 14 hours a day on the net so its worth every penny for m8....

I have to say that I wont EVER go back to NTL though !!!

DrAwesome
25-03-2004, 00:30
Personaly I would pay well over £100 for internet services - I spend more than 14 hours a day on the net so its worth every penny for m8....

What a life (i wish i could lead a life of luxury) :)

ZrByte
25-03-2004, 00:57
Im just waiting for the price of SDSL to come down to my price range and then im off ntl like a shot.

The only reasons I have really still got NTL is because......
A) Its nice to have the DTV (Paramount, Sky1, UKGold, etc), Note: its nice not neccessery.
B) We dont have a BT phone line, If we had that allready I probably would have snapped up ADSL ages ago.

Also if I did get DSL at some point I would have to buy my own modem, Probably ethernet based, not having any of this USB alcatel *****e.

Im using 1mb NTL bb right now however if I could get SDSL I would settle for 512K (though 1mb is still preffered) Just need that faster upstream (Hence why im on 1mb now, for the 256kb upload)

Edit: not that ive had any problems with My BB mind you, Its just im allready paying more than my ADSL friend for the same bandwidth, a price increase would be the last straw.

Stuartbe
25-03-2004, 01:01
What a life (i wish i could lead a life of luxury) :)

Not a life of luxury by far.. I use the net a great deal and feel that its worth the dosh... !!! I

Florence
25-03-2004, 01:03
If NTL put the price up on a capped service I will go to 600K

Stuart
25-03-2004, 01:39
Well I could tell but then I'd have to kill everyone :D
Just imagine the newspaper headlines: North West customer services person kills customers.... :D

Marge
25-03-2004, 01:42
Just imagine the newspaper headlines: North West customer services person kills customers.... :D

ohhhhhhh the list is endless, where my uzi 9mm :D

DrAwesome
25-03-2004, 02:27
If NTL put the price up on a capped service I will go to 600K

which is also capped.

you must be getting paid far too much to afford an uzi 9mm (hope your strong enough to hold it)

Marge
25-03-2004, 02:29
you must be getting paid far too much to afford an uzi 9mm (hope your strong enough to hold it)

I have combat trousers and not afraid to use :tu:

DrAwesome
25-03-2004, 02:33
I have combat trousers and not afraid to use :tu:

You have combat trousers & your not afriad to use thumbs up?

you must have a good tight grip :rofl:

Chrysalis
25-03-2004, 03:47
why only price rise on the top 2 tiers, ntl have 3 tiers all with the same cap and only the top 2 get a price rise, not sure what logic there is in that.

talking about complicated phone bills, how much is it for an itemised phone bill on bt? and on ntl?

Florence
25-03-2004, 09:02
I hope they don't increase prices but incase they do I will be watching carefully so I can reduce in time so not to pay the extra money. I am due to pay begining of next month and it will be more money for me if I go to 600K and if they increase by too much I can go to150K until I can get ADSL.....

DrAwesome
25-03-2004, 09:39
why only price rise on the top 2 tiers, ntl have 3 tiers all with the same cap and only the top 2 get a price rise, not sure what logic there is in that.

NTL possibly have more customers on the top 2 tiers & revenue gathered in each month would be far greater than increasing the lower tier.

Stuart
25-03-2004, 10:23

Imagine the response from UDT...

Still, he could have a T-shirt made: "I complained to NTL and all I got were these bullet wounds".

Marge
25-03-2004, 11:21
Imagine the response from UDT...

Still, he could have a T-shirt made: "I complained to NTL and all I got were these bullet wounds".

fantastic stu :rofl:

ian@huth
25-03-2004, 12:21

talking about complicated phone bills, how much is it for an itemised phone bill on bt? and on ntl?

The lower tier had a price rise last year of £3 which was partially offset by increasing the speed from 128k to 150k. The middle tier never had a price increase when they raised that yo 600k from 512k.

What I miss about BT is the online fully itemised bill which you can sort in many different ways. Won't be missing it for long though as I will be back with them soon when my incentive to stay with NTL expires in May. The newly announced pricing strucure for BT is even more of an incentive to go back to them. It will mean a lot of re-writing of adverts by BTs competitors who compare their prices aganst BTs standard rates.

br3ach
25-03-2004, 12:41
Price goes up - My service level goes down, simple as that...

I dont really use the 1meg anyway, so 600k wouldn't be a problem...

themelon
25-03-2004, 16:48
BTs price rises are a disgrace and a shot in the foot for Indirect or CPS Services. A minimum £10.50 line rental and stealth increases in:

BT Call Minder (Voicemail)
Current: £6/quarter
Will cost £7.50/quarter from May 1st

BT Answer 1571 - Personal Greeting
£3.00/quarter
Will cost £4.50/quarter from May 1st

From 1st August 2004, BT are introducing a "Charge Per Activation" if you use 1471 and then press "3" to automatically dial the last number called. -

Cost? 6p per go.

BT increases directory inquiries charges.

Calls to BT's 118 500 service will now have a 40p set up charge against 25p before - although the price per minute rate halves to 15p.

BT previously claimed their average call duration was only 28 seconds. Based on this, users will now pay around 47p a call under the new tariff instead of 40p as before.

From 1st August 2004, the cost of using ringback (press 5 on engaged tone) is going up from 10p to 15p.

Calls to Timeline (Speaking Clock, 123 ) are increasing from 10p to 20p per call.

I look forward to the opening of BT local loops so other providers can have value for money line rental.

Comapanies such as ntl can say simply....we have cheaper line rental in their new adverts, a bonus for those who use Indirect companies such as onetel, or low usage customer who mainly only use the phone for incoming calls. BT had 9 million customers on the Standard Plan, so that £9 million extra each month in the hands of the monopoly.

Ntl seriously need to look at scrapping the connection charge then they would be back in a strong position.

ian@huth
25-03-2004, 17:07
themelon, could you post a link to where you got these new prices from, please.

As far as I can see, BT are reducing prices to the majority of their customers. I would be worried if I was NTL as it is difficult to find any calling pattern that will be cheaper with them. They will also have to do a lot of rewriting of adverts where they compare NTL prices with BTs.

I wondered how long it would take BT to do this in view of all the adverts from their competitors whic compared the competitors rates with BT standard rates.

etccarmageddon
25-03-2004, 17:43
themelon, could you post a link to where you got these new prices from, please.

As far as I can see, BT are reducing prices to the majority of their customers. I would be worried if I was NTL as it is difficult to find any calling pattern that will be cheaper with them. They will also have to do a lot of rewriting of adverts where they compare NTL prices with BTs.

I wondered how long it would take BT to do this in view of all the adverts from their competitors whic compared the competitors rates with BT standard rates.

dont believe what the BT marketing people say - BT are INCREASING the line rental price by £1 per month for all customers who arent on 'together' by putting them on this package.

ian@huth
25-03-2004, 18:01
dont believe what the BT marketing people say - BT are INCREASING the line rental price by £1 per month for all customers who arent on 'together' by putting them on this package.

I appreciate this and it will mean a £1 increase to all who have a BT line but use other providers for their calls. The new prices are a decrease for all that are on BT Together. Maybe Ofcom will step in and insist that BT quote a line rental only price with call charge plans being extra on top of this.

There are millions of BT customers that are still on the standard tariff because they couldn't be bothered to change. My mother is one of them and I have shown her on numerous occasions that she could have a much cheaper bill by changing but she is obstinate and stuck in her ways.

bob_builder
25-03-2004, 18:24
I appreciate this and it will mean a £1 increase to all who have a BT line but use other providers for their calls. The new prices are a decrease for all that are on BT Together. Maybe Ofcom will step in and insist that BT quote a line rental only price with call charge plans being extra on top of this.

There are millions of BT customers that are still on the standard tariff because they couldn't be bothered to change. My mother is one of them and I have shown her on numerous occasions that she could have a much cheaper bill by changing but she is obstinate and stuck in her ways.
Indeed, my parents are the same. They will be better off with the new tariff even though they are paying £1 a month extra for the line rental because their call costs will now be a lot lower.

I would be very tempted to move to BT from NTL (if I was allowed to have BT installed). I hope, however, NTL respond with a "NTL Together" tariff.

N00N00
01-04-2004, 00:50
these are the price rises posted on digitalspy - I don't know how true they are (in fact i don't even know what half of them mean)

>Phone and Surf is going up by £2-49.
>Call Barring, Call Divert, Call Waiting, Caller Display, Reminder call, Voicemail plus and 3 way calling are ALL going up by 50p.
>1mb BB is going up to £37-99
>UnLtd Dial up is going up £2-49
>Pay As You Go is going to the 321price structure
>TV is going up by 50p, £1 or £2 depending which package you got.
>Mobile prices are reduced by fractions of a penny
>Games console BB is down by £3

Presumably people can cancel their contracts early if they have to suffer a price rise?

Graham F
01-04-2004, 00:53
you have 30 days once you have been informed OFFICALLY of them yes

Florence
01-04-2004, 01:18
Well if 1mb goes up I am down to 600K and will hope that the powerline BB is launched....

you have 30 days once you have been informed OFFICALLY of them yes

I have only just had the email for my payment for the 1mb it goes out of my account on the 8th. If they don't Officially notify me then they shouldn't expect me to give them 30 days notice of dropping down.

etccarmageddon
01-04-2004, 09:03
if the price of 1mb broadband does go up then this is complete madness as it's an incentive to downgrade to 600 and spend less with NTL.

they should be dropping the price to encourage take up not increasing it.

asdf
01-04-2004, 13:47
I wish powerline was being launched, but in a way I'm very wary of it. I'm not sure it's been completely researched yet and I'm sure there were some very bad trials in America which is why they aren't using it.

Hell's Child
01-04-2004, 14:02
**hides away so nobody catches him**

1MB is going up to £37.99. 600k is staying the same as is 150k.

This will be announced to customers 7th April.

You heard it here 1st.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

:td:

I will add the other prices are correct. As for termination of contract, it states you have the right to cancel without penalty if the price increase is 19% or over (I think this is the right figure).

N00N00
01-04-2004, 14:05
looks like the info on the digitaspy forums was correct afterall. See my post above for all the price rises.

Richard M
01-04-2004, 14:13

You heard it here 1st.

I will add the other prices are correct. As for termination of contract, it states you have the right to cancel without penalty if the price increase is 19% or over (I think this is the right figure).

I really hope this isn't true. :(

Hell's Child
01-04-2004, 14:15
As I said... it is happening. We were informed 2 days ago, but I have been too busy to post.

Graham F
01-04-2004, 14:18

You heard it here 1st.

It actually states nothing abt % it says...
http://www.ntlhome.com/legals/residentialterms.html

20. Cancellation Rights

You may cancel the Services without penalty in the following circumstances:-

(i) if We increase our Charges You may cancel those Services in respect of which the Charges have increased by giving Us one month's notice in writing within 30 days of the earlier of:

(a) such price increase being notified to You under Condition 6.2; or

(b) the date of your first bill following such price increase, irrespective of whether the minimum period in respect of those Services has expired. If You cancel Services under this Condition, the increased Charges relating to those Services will not apply to You;

Ignition
01-04-2004, 14:18
IMHO if ntl want to raise more revenue they should be looking elsewhere rather than increasing prices on their internet services - DTV certainly bears strong attention, don't think it makes its' fair share of the dollars.

I've got to say I think that's pretty poor value for money - now more expensive than 10mbit/1mbit that Jerrek has in Canada.

Welcome to ripoff Britain I guess.

Graham F
01-04-2004, 14:20

As Hell's Child says it is very true I heard abt this back in Jan before it was confirmed 1M ADSL looks good ;)

ZrByte
01-04-2004, 14:23
ITs funny though, pretty much all the DSL providers have dropped over the last two years or so.
When I got on the 1mb 2 years ago It was the best value out there, only a few quid more expensive than my friends 512K ADSL.
Now my friend could almost rent two ADSLs for the same price im paying.

NTL really are financially retarded arnt they?

etccarmageddon
01-04-2004, 16:15
do you realise how many NTL customers have 1mb?

a very small minority

so if anything, they should be dropping the price or offering promotions in order to get people to move up to 1mb.

ian@huth
01-04-2004, 16:51
do you realise how many NTL customers have 1mb?

a very small minority

so if anything, they should be dropping the price or offering promotions in order to get people to move up to 1mb.

But do they want that many on 1 Mb?

Of course they do want customers on 1 Mb for the revenue it brings them, but they don't want them to use the connection for more than a little browsing and email checking.

themelon
01-04-2004, 16:55
mmmmmm if ntl are putting the phone prices up that is stupidity. The very least they can do is drop the connection charge and replace it with a minimum charge.

Still for phone im kind of stuck in a corner as I have to have an ntl phone line, and i aint paying twice and definately aint going back to Sky!

Florence
01-04-2004, 16:57

You heard it here 1st.

Well I am out of contract being a customer for almost 3 yesr with BB and longer with phone. I will be looking at alternatives I will drop down to 600K and if the upload is c**p I will be looking at changing over as I can get 512K but not 1 mb. With this increas BTs 1mb would work out cheaper than NTLs. to NTL about this Idea you will end up with no customers left stop giving those big bonuses and large pay to top managers and look to you customers for once.. before its too late.. :td:

th'engineer
01-04-2004, 17:23
You have a good point if there was an upload comparable to ADSL think people would be happy.

Hell's Child
01-04-2004, 17:51
Well I am out of contract being a customer for almost 3 yesr with BB and longer with phone.
Quite right. Was incensed when they announced some of the increases. Also in the North we have started charging £10 for install again... grrrrr :td: :mad:

Mick
01-04-2004, 18:06
Welcome to ripoff Britain I guess.
I feel like I have Been welcomed too many times to that place Just. :erm:

etccarmageddon
01-04-2004, 18:33
You have a good point if there was an upload comparable to ADSL think people would be happy.

GOOD POINT!

we now have a choice of an over priced 1mb version! or we can drop down to 600k but will have half the upload speed of ADSL!

th'engineer
01-04-2004, 18:36
GOOD POINT!

we now have a choice of an over priced 1mb version! or we can drop down to 600k but will have half the upload speed of ADSL!
I have to be honest think that is the achelles heal in NTL the upload, needs improvement to match BT

etccarmageddon
01-04-2004, 19:26
for the same price as the NTL 1mb service you can get 2mb from Bulldog.

Charlie_Bubble
01-04-2004, 19:38

Yep, and I checked if I could get it the other day and I can. If this price rise does happen I'll drop NTL, move to SKY, BT and a decent ADSL provider. Oh well, been 5 years with NTL. Been waiting long enough for interactive TV. Seems I'll be leaving them before I even get it! :td:

paulyoung666
01-04-2004, 19:45

bluddddy annoying when you cant get adsl though :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Charlie_Bubble
01-04-2004, 19:45
I can't believe they're doing this kind of price hike for 1Mb to be honest. The email servers are ropey, the news servers are utter crap and there's a download cap. Are they trying to force people to leave? Pay nearly £40 for a service which, when compared with many ADSL packages wouldn't be worthwhile if the price was the same, but it's much higher, what's the point at all?

Tezcatlipoca
01-04-2004, 19:52

You heard it here 1st.

:(

I guess I'll be phoning NTL to downgrade to the 600k service then.

th'engineer
01-04-2004, 20:13
for the same price as the NTL 1mb service you can get 2mb from Bulldog.You also have to ask what you are allowed to download with bulldog limits etc

check what the cap is with them, dont jump out of the frying pan into the fire

Nutty
01-04-2004, 20:38
I wouldn't mind a small price increase if they increased the upload bandwidth to be similar to adsl. i.e. 600/256, and maybe a bit more on the 1mbit. 1Mb/300 or so ?

Motorman
01-04-2004, 20:48
Hey NOONOO, I posted these prices increases on DS.
I'm sorry you dont understand them, lets make things easy;:angel:

All the Call Features (except Voicemail plus) are increasing in price by 50%.:Yikes:
This is what i dont agree with because they are network services which dont actually cost the company anything, so this is a massive (unjustified) fatcat hike.:mad:

1mb broadband is increasing in price from £34-99 to £37-99.

The UnLtd dial-up internet service which costs £10 is increasing to £12-49.

The Pay as you go internet service which is 1 penny per minute at all times of the day is increasing in price to 3p per minute peak rate, 2ppm evenings and 1ppm all weekend (+5p connection charge).

Customers can cancel their contracts if they are still in the first year of service AND they give notice within 30 days of the price increase;)

Shaun
01-04-2004, 20:50
You also have to ask what you are allowed to download with bulldog limits etc

check what the cap is with them, dont jump out of the frying pan into the fire

Bulldog only cap their new "economy" packages I believe, the prime-time and all-time products have NO cap at all. :D

N00N00
01-04-2004, 21:11
Hey NOONOO, I posted these prices increases on DS.
I'm sorry you dont understand them, lets make things easy;:angel:

All the Call Features (except Voicemail plus) are increasing in price by 50%.:Yikes:
This is what i dont agree with because they are network services which dont actually cost the company anything, so this is a massive (unjustified) fatcat hike.:mad:

[/b]

Hey, I only said i didn't understand half of them, but thanks for clarifying things. It never clicked that NTL could possibly be dumb enough to charge 3p/min for internet access during the day so i assumed you were talking about some strange and rare phone package.

None of the price rises will have any impact on me becasue I've long since cancelled the base pack and voicemail and I'm on 150K.

nice to see that dial up is now £12.50, and the base pack is 18quid or so. If you have both these services then the total price rise since they were introduced has been over £20! I.e they now cost three times as much!

Thanks for posting the price rises, my sympathies to anyone who is effected by them.

th'engineer
02-04-2004, 08:05
Bulldog only cap their new "economy" packages I believe, the prime-time and all-time products have NO cap at all. :DThank you for the update its only fair that we compare like with like, so which package are similar to NTL.
In the following:
E-mail, webspace, customer service, speed, reliability, proxies

Think you will find it hard to find someone similar to NTL

Caspar
02-04-2004, 11:15
So what do us 1mb users get for our extra few pound price increase? Better service, increased reliability, three-tone printed statements ;), a christmas card...? Has someone already asked this obvious question, lol! :)

Neil
02-04-2004, 11:31
So what do us 1mb users get for our extra few pound price increase? Better service, increased reliability, three-tone printed statements ;), a christmas card...? Has someone already asked this obvious question, lol! :)

Same as you get now-pathetic email/poor interactive on your DTV that locks up your STB/poor picture quality on your DTV/brief picture blackouts/crackly sound-what a bargain, where do I sign up?-oh, I don't need to!! :D

Shaun
02-04-2004, 12:57
Thank you for the update its only fair that we compare like with like, so which package are similar to NTL.
In the following:
E-mail, webspace, customer service, speed, reliability, proxies

Think you will find it hard to find someone similar to NTL

Their prime-time and all-time packages are an internet connection with no proxys etc. There is no cap and a faster upload than Ntl's 150 and 600k options (256) The reliability is excelent, I've not had a slow days browsing yet (since Jan), but they do provide an 0845 dialup service incase of a fault. They do several different speeds depending on where you are and you may need to buy a modem, I paid 20.00 for mine :) a few examples:

Bulldog's AllTime 500 was recently crowned Best Consumer Broadband service in UK and is now available at the special price of £21.99/mth, offering savings of more than £5/mth against similar 512 kbps services from BT, AOL and Freeserve.

Now, for a limited period, AllTime 500 comes with a free modem - or the option of a free month.

or

For a limited period, Bulldog is offering its AllTime 1000 service for just £32.99/mth with a connection charge of just £1, depending on your location**. It differs from our PrimeTime services in that you get top performance around the clock, not just during off-peak hours.

Both these are FULLTIME products you are on the same speed tarrif all day everyday.

Then there's the primetime products:

For just £24.99/mth you'll get up to 1 Mbps downstream speed during off-peak hours. At other times (that's 8am to 6pm weekdays) you still enjoy standard broadband at up to 512 kbps.

In other words, it's the ideal service if during weekday work hours you won't be using the service a great deal or don't require top speed. Order now and you'll also get a free USB modem, or the option of a free month.

and

PrimeTime 2000 features a unique 'time of day' service offering up to 2 Mbps at off-peak hours. At other times (that's 8am to 6pm weekdays) you still enjoy standard broadband at up to 512 kbps.

In other words, it's the ideal service if during weekday work hours you won't be using the service a great deal or don't require top speed. It offers outstanding value for money priced at a similar level to 512 kbps services offering a quarter of the speed. And now, depending on your location**, connection is reduced to just £29.99.

These two products (primetime) are limited to certan exchanges, but you can find out if you are able to have them on Bulldogs website below.

Their new "economy" package is avalable for 15.99 a month but there IS a cap, it is the only product they do that's capped "A data download limit of 2 Gigabyte per month is applied to the PrimeTime 500 service"

A unique, brand new service from award-winning Bulldog offering up to 10 times the speed of dial-up!

For just £15.99/mth you'll get up to 512 kbps downstream speed during off-peak hours. At other times (that's 8am to 6pm weekdays) you still enjoy up to 256 kbps broadband. In other words, it's the ideal service if during weekday work hours you won't be using the service a great deal or don't require top speed.

What's more, you also get a free modem, or the option of a free month. Hurry - offer ends 30th April.

As an aside to this webspace and email are EXTRA, Bulldog do a bolt on for either 2.99 or 4.99 a month:

Portal Account

My Mail, 20 MB email account.
Web, POP and IMAP compliant.
Virus (Nortons Anti-Virus) & Spam Filtered.
Email management including Vacation and Signature settings.
My Web, 20 MB of web space.
My Diary, ICAL compliant.
My SMS, SMS text application.
My Links, Bookmark.
My News, News Feed
Price £2.99/Month (Inc Vat)

Family Account

4 x My Mail, 10 MB email account.
Web, POP and IMAP compliant.
Virus (Nortons Anti-Virus) & Spam Filtered.
Email management including Vacation and Signature settings.
My Web, 20 MB of web space.
My Briefcase, 15MB of online file storage.
My Messenger
My Diary, ICAL compliant.
My SMS, SMS text application.
My Links, Bookmark.
My News, News Feed.
Price £5.99/Month (Inc Vat)

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/special_offers.asp

Oh and they recently won the coverted "Best consumer broadband ISP" :D

[Edit] (Neil)-Link fixed.

Emperordalek
02-04-2004, 13:14
Well once they notify me of the increase I'll be downgrading back to 600k, not much difference if you ask me.

Richard M
02-04-2004, 14:23
If you haven't seen it yet: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/36760.html

Neil
02-04-2004, 15:08
If you haven't seen it yet: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/36760.html

Nice one-Hi to all of you that are new here, & came here via The Register! :wavey: :D

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 15:09
Nice one-Hi to all of you that are new here, & came here via The Register! :wavey: :D

Dont forget to " Register " and join in the comunity... You are all very welcome :)

Charlie_Bubble
02-04-2004, 18:59
Dont forget to " Register " and join in the comunity... You are all very welcome :)

*Groan* :pp :D

etccarmageddon
07-04-2004, 09:16

today's the big day! will it happen or will it turn out to be unsubstantiated load of cobblers!

Neil
07-04-2004, 12:57
Those price rises in full.....(just as we predicted ;) )

Telco

Second lines
Standardise to £7.50

Features
Increase to £1.50*

Fixed to Mobile rates
Reduce Fixed to UK Mobile rates.

Fixed to International Mobiles
Increase Fixed to International mobile rates to landline rate plus 20ppm.
*Excludes Itemised billing

Internet

Broadband

High Speed (1Mb) Increase price to £37.99
Consoles (xbox and PS2) Decrease price to incremental £2

Dial Up

Unmetered (Unlimited) Increase price to £12.49
Metered (Pay as you go) Increase price to local rate 3-2-1ppm

DTV

Base Pack (no premiums):
From £18 to £19

Mid Pack (no premiums):
From £25 to £26

Family Pack (no premiums):
From £28 to £29

Premium Packs:
Premium prices changing from between -£1 and +£2

Hangama Pack:
From £23.50 to £24.50

Radio Times price change from £3.60 to £3.73 per month.

Effective as of the 1st of June 2004.

[Edit].....

N.

:angel:

bigitup_j
07-04-2004, 15:38
base pack increasing from £18 to £19!!

what a rip off...at least it better than lasts years £3 hike on 150k broadband!
but still, you don't get much with the base pack!! :(

Graham F
07-04-2004, 15:58
what else would you want to see in the base pack?

Baring in mind that they added E4 a little while ago, The increase on TV is down to sky increasing their proces to ntl.

Edit - Neil always getting good info first :D ;) :angel:

Defiant
07-04-2004, 16:00
base pack increasing from £18 to £19!!

what a rip off...at least it better than lasts years £3 hike on 150k broadband!
but still, you don't get much with the base pack!! :(
Not really no. Not when you look at this http://www.freeview.co.uk/

The NTL board of directors seem to have there head's in the sand

mmm
07-04-2004, 16:04
Those price rises in full.....(just as we predicted ;) )

Effective as of the 1st of June 2004.

[Edit].....

:angel:

Can you confirm 150k and 600k cable modem not changing?

Graham F
07-04-2004, 16:06
Yes they are staying the same, even though ntl were going to increase 600k price they saw sense on that one and its staying the same :)

orangebird
07-04-2004, 16:06
Not really no. Not when you look at this http://www.freeview.co.uk/

The NTL board of directors seem to have there head's in the sand
It's not really a fair comparison though is it?

NTL pay for your stb, your installation, and all your maintenance costs whilst you have the package.

Freeview, you have to pay for and maintain (outside the manufacturers warranty) the service and hardware yourself.....

orangebird
07-04-2004, 16:07
Can you confirm 150k and 600k cable modem not changing?

I can. :) Not changing at all.

Defiant
07-04-2004, 16:13
It's not really a fair comparison though is it?

NTL pay for your stb, your installation, and all your maintenance costs whilst you have the package.

Freeview, you have to pay for and maintain (outside the manufacturers warranty) the service and hardware yourself.....
Hmm so doe's $ky pay for there stb's too?

As for FREEview you can get a decent stb for £49 then they have the usual 12 month guarantee so if anything did go wrong your laughing

Neil
07-04-2004, 16:13
I'm sorry, but £38.00 for 1MB BB is just overpriced.

It can be a poor service to begin with, which makes it not worth £5.00 per month-email/proxies etc, but even if it was working 100%, it never worth £38.00 per month.

Most of the DSL providers now offer 1MB for around the £32.00 per month mark (& dropping), yet ntl see fit to raise the price of the 1 meg.....:dozey:

Gotta pay for those shareholders/directors bonuses somehow I suppose....:rolleyes:

Neil
07-04-2004, 16:14
Hmm so doe's $ky pay for there stb's too?

As for FREEview you can get a decent stb for £49 then they have the usual 12 month guarantee so if anything did go wrong your laughing

Sky boxes are free, just the same as ntl's.

At worst with Freeview-even if your box blew up every 13 months (just outside guarantee) the most it would cost you would be £50.00 per year.

Neil
07-04-2004, 16:15
Price changes in full ntl glory!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/files/pdf/price_list_07042004.pdf

Neil
07-04-2004, 16:18
Just noticed-PAYG Internet price has trebled in price if you use it during the day, & doubled in price if you use it in the evening. :eek:

Chris
07-04-2004, 16:23

Hmmm ... not sure how they are justifying such a thumping big increase in the price of their 1mb broadband?

Fortunately for me I get away with only paying £1 a month more, as I have 600k BB, base-pack TV and no additional services on my phone.

orangebird
07-04-2004, 16:27

What about when your sky box goes wrong after 12 months and one day... ?

At worst with Freeview-even if your box blew up every 13 months (just outside guarantee) the most it would cost you would be £50.00 per year.

Where as if your ntl box blew every 13 months it would cost you £0.00 per year.....

I know what I'd rather.. :shrug:

Those points aside, I do think the bb price rises are a complete pi$$ take...

Telly and phone are ok for me - I don't pay for the tv anyway, and the mobile call prices have been reduced, which is good. :)

Mick
07-04-2004, 16:36

Where as if your ntl box blew every 13 months it would cost you £0.00 per year.....

Those points aside, I do think the bb price rises are a complete pi$$ take..
Agreed especially with todays news. :(

Defiant
07-04-2004, 16:37

Hmm isn't the $ky contract only for 12 months too

It still works out cheaper. Anyway the NTL boxe's are more likely to break because there crap.

hmm one of payment of £49 for FREEview vs £19 amonth for a couple of extra channels from NTL

Neil
07-04-2004, 16:37

You cancel your subscription, & get a new one (& a new Sky box)

But you would have paid ntl for less channels for the same money you paid Sky. ;)

You'd rather waste money by giving it to ntl? :eek:

Those points aside, I do think the bb price rises are a complete pi$$ take...

They are. :)

Telly and phone are ok for me - I don't pay for the tv anyway, and the mobile call prices have been reduced, which is good. :)

But if you had a freeview box (more channels than ntl's base pack) it costs you £50.00 per year (for the box) at most.

With ntl's base pack, you pay 12 x £17.00 per month=£ 204.00 per year. :angel:

[Edit]-£19.00 per month for Base pack=£2 28.00 per year! :eek:

orangebird
07-04-2004, 16:45

That's a bit of a hassle really.... :erm:

But you would have paid ntl for less channels for the same money you paid Sky. ;)

More shopping and travel channels, great.... Neil, you know me - do you really think I need any more channels on those two subjects?... ;)

You'd rather waste money by giving it to ntl? :eek:

I suppose I can afford to be a bit blase about it, as I don't pay ntl for the services....

They are. :)

I like it when we agree. :)

But if you had a freeview box (more channels than ntl's base pack) it costs you £50.00 per year (for the box) at most.

I'd have to upgrade my ariel to receive freeview.. - girl + electrical stuff = no good. :blush:

With ntl's base pack, you pay 12 x £17.00 per month=£ 204.00 per year. :angel:

[Edit]-£19.00 per month for Base pack=£2 28.00 per year! :eek:

I don't pay anything for my phone line and family pack, and I get the Sports and Movies Collection for half price.. ;) :angel:

Neil
07-04-2004, 16:59
That's a bit of a hassle really.... :erm:
It is, but it keeps the costs down-you can also take out insurance against the box failing-not sure how much it is, about £50.00 I think.

More shopping and travel channels, great.... Neil, you know me - do you really think I need any more channels on those two subjects?... ;)
No you don't, but we are not alking about you are we? ;)

I suppose I can afford to be a bit blase about it, as I don't pay ntl for the services....
Exacty-hardly impartial. :angel:

I like it when we agree. :)
Really?-it worries me! :erm: :pp

I'd have to upgrade my ariel to receive freeview.. - girl + electrical stuff = no good. :blush:
We are not talking about you. :afire: :angel:

I don't pay anything for my phone line and family pack, and I get the Sports and Movies Collection for half price.. ;) :angel:
Really? I'd never have guessed! :rolleyes: ;)

orangebird
07-04-2004, 17:12
<snip>

We are not talking about you. :afire: :angel:

<snip>

Not me escpecially, but I'm pretty certain I'm not the only person who wouldn't change to freeview because of having to upgrade their ariel... ?

Defiant
07-04-2004, 17:17
Not me escpecially, but I'm pretty certain I'm not the only person who wouldn't change to freeview because of having to upgrade their ariel... ?
I just got a booster box ;)

SMHarman
07-04-2004, 17:17

Hmmm ... not sure how they are justifying such a thumping big increase in the price of their 1mb broadband?

Fortunately for me I get away with only paying £1 a month more, as I have 600k BB, base-pack TV and no additional services on my phone.

Exactly, I won't be upgrading to 1MB now. That price jump is outragous.

orangebird
07-04-2004, 17:20
I just got a booster box ;)

Made no difference - and depending on where I parked the car ( :rolleyes: ) determined whether I could get channel five even....

orangebird
07-04-2004, 17:22

Agreed. The 1meg price rise is too ridiculous for words..... makes me wonder whether there's a reason behind the hike other than just more revenue.... :confused:

Defiant
07-04-2004, 17:22
Made no difference - and depending on where I parked the car ( :rolleyes: ) determined whether I could get channel five even....
Shame then I couldn't believe how much better the picture and sound where on my nicam tv after being on NTL Digital. The tv upto then have never used another source of reception

Neil
07-04-2004, 17:23

It most certainly is, it makes the 1 meg service 50% more expensive than the 600k.....

quadplay
07-04-2004, 17:25

No you don't. Under the terms of the Interactive contract (which is what you sign to get the free box), you are only entitled to one free box per household. Ever. Replacement boxes are around the £200 mark, I believe.

orangebird
07-04-2004, 17:25
It most certainly is, it makes the 1 meg service 50% more expensive than the 600k.....

Serious question (as I am not techy... :dunce: )

Do ntl have anything to gain (as far as network performance goes) from people downgrading to 600k?

Neil
07-04-2004, 17:39
Serious question (as I am not techy... :dunce: )

Do ntl have anything to gain (as far as network performance goes) from people downgrading to 600k?

Yes-Aizad has told me to my face that they don't want the 'bandwidth hoggers' that (he thinks) hog all the bandwidth on the 1 meg service. :rolleyes:

Basically-the ntl network can't cope with the demands that are currently being placed upon it. :td:

Chris
07-04-2004, 17:42
Yes-Aizad has told me to my face that they don't want the 'bandwidth hoggers' that (he thinks) hog all the bandwidth on the 1 meg service. :rolleyes:

Basically-the ntl network can't cope with the demands that are currently being placed upon it. :tu:
So they think the only reason somene would want 1mb broadband is for warez?

orangebird
07-04-2004, 17:42

Basically-the ntl network can't cope with the demands that are currently being placed upon it. :tu:

Then that is probably the reason for the ridiculous increase in price on 1meg then... :Yikes:

bob_builder
07-04-2004, 17:48

Two things are mentioned in this that I do not recall seeing before but NTL claim that the price is held so they must exist...

6p Talk Plan - I assume this is the equivalent of BT Together 1.

Free Voicemail - Is this the equivalent of BT's free 1571?

Are these available in all areas?

SMHarman
07-04-2004, 18:27
So they think the only reason somene would want 1mb broadband is for warez?

Can they offer a service with the 256k upstream and 600k downstream, thats not something a warez / bandwidth hogger would want is it?

The only reason I wanted to upgrade was to improve my ftp upload speeds. The are no bloody faster than my ISDN line!

td444
08-04-2004, 00:03

Basically-the ntl network can't cope with the demands that are currently being placed upon it. :td:

They better adjust it per-region !

Ive had to check my UBR lately using DOCSDIAG due to crap upstreams. Lately it was fixed - they doubled the upstreams available bandwidth.

Each time I did a UBR check - the downstream was only 1/3 full out of all the instances I checked. These were peak times as well!

Its bad enough that I couldnt connect during peak times, and that they've just SHAFTED lots of customer services jobs, but to increase the cost too?

Defiant
08-04-2004, 00:21
Its bad enough that I couldnt connect during peak times, and that they've just SHAFTED lots of customer services jobs, but to increase the cost too?
No doubt to cover the redundancy cost's :mad:

Marge
08-04-2004, 00:39
Two things are mentioned in this that I do not recall seeing before but NTL claim that the price is held so they must exist...

6p Talk Plan - I assume this is the equivalent of BT Together 1.

Free Voicemail - Is this the equivalent of BT's free 1571?

Are these available in all areas?

As far as I know they are

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2004, 00:46
Can they offer a service with the 256k upstream and 600k downstream, thats not something a warez / bandwidth hogger would want is it?

The only reason I wanted to upgrade was to improve my ftp upload speeds. The are no bloody faster than my ISDN line!

600/256 would be nice.

Only reason I upped my NTL BB to the 1meg service was to have a higher upload for using XBoxLive.

But, as my UBR upstream often sucks, & they've now increased the 1meg service's price, I'm going to go back down to 600k.

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2004, 00:57
Yes they are staying the same, even though ntl were going to increase 600k price they saw sense on that one and its staying the same :)

I wonder for how long?

Telewest's 1meg has gone down to £37.99. ..which is the same price that NTL's 1meg has gone up to.

Telewest's 512k BB has also gone down by £2, to £27.99. ..which is still £3 more than NTL's 600k BB.

So....in the run up to the eventual merger, would TW maybe drop that down again to the same price as NTL's 600k, or would NTL increase their 600k by £3 to match the TW price?

Or am I reading too much into the price changes at both companies? :confused:

Defiant
08-04-2004, 01:26
Telewest's 512k BB has also gone down by £2, to £27.99. ..which is still £3 more than NTL's 600k BB.

Not 100% correct. This from there website,

£25 per month with another Telewest phone service or £27.99 per month when ordered alone

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2004, 01:31
Not 100% correct. This from there website,

Ah, fair enough. Cheers for the info :)

So it's the "standalone" TW price that's gone down, but the price if you have another service too has stayed the same.

EDIT: Hmm. And TW's 1meg "with another service" price is still £34.99 - it's the standalone TW 1meg price that now matches NTL's new 1meg price.

Defiant
08-04-2004, 01:34
Not too sure. I think it may have always been that way?

oops just noticed haha this is gr8. It makes NTL look even worse. There 1MB broadband service,

£35 per month when combined with another Telewest service or £37.99 per month when ordered alone

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2004, 01:39
LOL, yeah.

TW 1meg (if you have another service) = £35 (same as always, only the "standalone" is changing - and that's going down to £37.99)

NTL 1meg (with or without another service) = £37.99 (up by £3)

NTL does look worse, compared to that.

I wonder how they'll streamline the pricing when they merge?

kronas
08-04-2004, 01:51
£3 more for 1mbit :eek: they are just pricing themselves out of the market with such an increase :(

Defiant
08-04-2004, 01:55
I think thats the whole problem. The people at the top dont seem to know the market!

Charlie_Bubble
08-04-2004, 02:46
How about this for a comparison:

http://www2.fast24.net/packages/broadband/2mb-50_1.asp

2Meg ADSL for £37.49 a month.

I'm off. Final straw really. Going to downgrade BB tomorrow to 600k. Sports channels will be going after the weekend footie games and I will be booking Mr Sky, Mr BT and Mr Reasonably-priced-ADSL-provider to come and replenish my services when I quit NTL. Hopefully I also won't have to pay the £20 month for access to working newsgroup servers, which should be a standard thing with any decent ISP. Looks like my 4 year wait for a working red button will be fulfilled, but not by the company I thought would do it!

Charlie_Bubble
08-04-2004, 02:50
Ironic how they have 5 out-of-date internet service award icons on this price rise leaflet. :D

ntl customer
08-04-2004, 03:24
Is it me or have they used crap quality Sky and BT logos, and nicked the old BT one off their website in the leaflet?

Botchery at its finest :D ;) :rofl:

Ironic how they have 5 out-of-date internet service award icons on this price rise leaflet. :D

Indeed. What happened to their Mirror award - it seems to have disappeared?! :confused:

bob_builder
08-04-2004, 08:18
As far as I know they are
Thanks Debs! Does anybody know how to set up free voicemail?

td444
08-04-2004, 10:36
How about this for a comparison:

http://www2.fast24.net/packages/broadband/2mb-50_1.asp

2Meg ADSL for £37.49 a month.

I'm off. Final straw really. Going to downgrade BB tomorrow to 600k. Sports channels will be going after the weekend footie games and I will be booking Mr Sky, Mr BT and Mr Reasonably-priced-ADSL-provider to come and replenish my services when I quit NTL. Hopefully I also won't have to pay the £20 month for access to working newsgroup servers, which should be a standard thing with any decent ISP. Looks like my 4 year wait for a working red button will be fulfilled, but not by the company I thought would do it!
ISP's newsgroup services generally suck. Pipex have some nice newsgroup servers although they get pretty busy.

Charlie_Bubble
08-04-2004, 10:41
ISP's newsgroup services generally suck. Pipex have some nice newsgroup servers although they get pretty busy.

Cheers for the warning. Will probably go for one of the bigger ISPs in the end. Have definitely decided I'm tired of NTL. Fancy interactive on my TV with multi-screen options, caller display on my phone, working email/newsgroups, no daily cap and generally slightly lower prices for each element and better returns for my money. :)

SMHarman
08-04-2004, 10:47

Demons work well - unfortunately you can only access them from a Demon IP range, so despite paying them for Dial Up and using their pop servers I cannot get to use their news servers anymore and have the joy of NTLs.

At least text.news works most of the time.

1701-e
08-04-2004, 11:41

But after a year you're responsible for the $ky box if it f**ks up.

The Freeview comparison is interesting. With CR3 rolling out and multi-screens etc on the way, NTL will have a vastly superior all round product whereas Freeview is practically at full capacity ( eg only 2 multi-screens on News24 interactive). Front Row / PPV access doesn't exist on Freeview. Also as mentioned before E4 is only available (part-time) on the crappy T*ts Up TV thingy pay TV that most Freeviewers can't/won't get (£7.99 pm).

My £8.50 (£9.50 from June) is reasonable value.:)

All IMHO

ian@huth
08-04-2004, 12:12

Most of my family, friends and neighbours have Sky and none of us have had to have an engineer visit. Family members have three Sky boxes sat waiting to be used if they are needed. These extra boxes were out of contract boxes picked up free from friends / neighbours who for one reason or another had no further use for them.

The other point with Sky is that after your first year is up you can use the box without any monthly charge to view quite a selection of channels. http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm

Defiant
08-04-2004, 12:22
And what if you do need an engineer visit. This has been covered before on here. It seems to be the only thing pro NTL people can come up with. The box should be covered for the first 12 months anyway. After that well your contract with Sky is only 12 month

Neil
08-04-2004, 12:24

The Freeview comparison is interesting. With CR3 rolling out and multi-screens etc on the way, NTL will have a vastly superior all round product
So they bloody well should for the money they are charging!

We are talking about Freeview at £50.00 for the first year, & nothing after that, compared to ntl's base pack @ 12 x £19.00 per year=£2 28.00 for the 1st year, & every year after that.

So....£ 228.00 per year for ntl's second rate (supposedly) interactive service that has been 'coming soon' for how long??) against a one off payment of £50.00 for slightly less channles on Freeview.

Value for money? I don't think so somehow.

Defiant
08-04-2004, 13:14
NTL will have a vastly superior all round product whereas Freeview is practically at full capacity ( eg only 2 multi-screens on News24 interactive). Hmm there are still free slots on the FREEview platform and more channels due like Disneys Daytime. Also I heard some of those shopping channels are just placeholders. If true when the government start dropping off the analogue signal its not going to be all at once. So you'll see channels like BBC2,CH4 & Ch5 gone first. This will freeup allot of space for the FREEview platform again. Now don't forget there still talking about this starting from 2006

ntl customer
08-04-2004, 13:50
Hmm there are still free slots on the FREEview platform and more channels due like Disneys Daytime.
Disney's Daytime was supposed to have launched ages ago on Freeview, but it hasn't yet. And I very much doubt that it will given the previous promised additions to Freeview which have failed to materialise

a) CBM - there was a slot allocated for it on the EPG and a static caption was broadcast for some time with the infamous ntl phrase "coming soon". However it was eventually pulled because IIRC the people behind it could their arse in gear and sort out what the channel was meant to broadcast.

b) Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and Boomerang timeshare - this was rumoured for a long time and the deal eventually fell through because IIRC the boss of AOL TW didn't want their 'premium' channels being put onto a free platform. Also it could be because disagreements about the carriage cost on the platform.

c) Sentana Sports - this was also rumoured as well, but unsurprisingly has failed to materialised. Whether it was ever going to be on the platform in the first place is another question.

Also I heard some of those shopping channels are just placeholders.

I think so. IIRC Bidup or Price Drop are placeholders for a channel owned by Channel 4, dubbed "G2" because it is going to show documentaries. There is an article on Media Guardian about it, but I don't think it will be launching for sometime yet.

Neil
08-04-2004, 14:17
Ok,

Here is what a one off payment of £50.00 (approx) will get you from Freeview....

Entertainment Channels

BBC1
BBC2
BBC3
BBC4
ITV1
ITV2
FTN
Channel 4
Sky Travel
UKTV Bright Ideas
UKTV History

Childrenââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s Channels

CBeebies
CBBC

Music

The Hits
TMF

News/Views Channels

BBC Parliament
BBC News 24
Sky News
Sky Sports News
ITV News
Community Channel

Shopping Channels

QVC
Bid-Up.tv
Price-drop.tv

And here is what you get after paying £238.00 per year to ntl.....

BBC ONE
Channel 4
ITV1
BBC TWO
FIVE
ITV2
BBC THREE
Channel ntl
Sky One
BBC FOUR
The Hits
TMF
UKTV Bright Ideas
Ftn
Sky One Mix
E4
CBBC
CBeebies
BBC News 24
CNBC
Sky News
BBC Parliament
ITV News
UKTV History
British Eurosport
attheraces (Isn't this closing soon anyway)

So-approx 10 more channels with ntl, & obviously your phone line too.
If you take away the phone line (12 x £9.50=à ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚£114.00) from the yearly charge of £238.00 , you are left paying £124.00 per year for approx 10 more channels.

That is approx £74.00 more in the first year alone! :eek:

Over 2 years, you would have spent £50.00 on Freeview, & £248.00 with ntl's Base Pack.

So, please tell me-where is the value for money again??

1701-e
08-04-2004, 14:27
So they bloody well should for the money they are charging!

We are talking about Freeview at £50.00 for the first year, & nothing after that, compared to ntl's base pack @ 12 x £19.00 per year=£2 28.00 for the 1st year, & every year after that.

So....£ 228.00 per year for ntl's second rate (supposedly) interactive service that has been 'coming soon' for how long??) against a one off payment of £50.00 for slightly less channles on Freeview.

Value for money? I don't think so somehow.Hold on- it's £19 pm for TV and phone. So thats £114 pa for NTL. I agree about the current system but from what I've seen the coming soon fiasco is near at a n end. I'm not happy about the price increase but each person has thier own needs/demands on DTV and I'll see out the next couple of weeks as the service goes up a notch.

My cable picture is superior to DTT as well- I have both systems.;)

$KY ONE and B/Eurosport are probably worth the extra in many peoples eyes---look at the DTT forums in DS in TUTV discussions- there are many!:D

XFS03
08-04-2004, 14:31
...I'd have to upgrade my ariel to receive freeview...Changing your washing machine powder will not allow you to receive freeview any clearer I'm afraid. :)

The spikey thing on the end of your co-ax lead is called an aerial.

Neil
08-04-2004, 14:36
Hold on- it's £19 pm for TV and phone. So thats £114 pa for NTL. I agree about the current system but from what I've seen the coming soon fiasco is near at a n end. I'm not happy about the price increase but each person has thier own needs/demands on DTV and I'll see out the next couple of weeks as the service goes up a notch.

My cable picture is superior to DTT as well- I have both systems.;)

$KY ONE and B/Eurosport are probably worth the extra in many peoples eyes---look at the DTT forums in DS in TUTV discussions- there are many!:D

Have you read my post above re the breakdown of prices? ;)

orangebird
08-04-2004, 14:39
Changing your washing machine powder will not allow you to receive freeview any clearer I'm afraid. :)

The spikey thing on the end of your co-ax lead is called an aerial.

:LOL: :dunce:

Defiant
08-04-2004, 14:47
Disney's Daytime was supposed to have launched ages ago on Freeview, but it hasn't yet. And I very much doubt that it willAgain I may be wrong but I'm sure someone on Digitalspy had a screenshot of it testing on one of the channels the otherweek ;)

Also ITV3 is rumoured to be coming at the end of the year

1701-e
08-04-2004, 14:49
Have you read my post above re the breakdown of prices? ;)
Yes- thats why i did the edit and added the info on $ky 1 /Eurosport.
You left out the 3 other channels that vary each month - the guest channels.

If you think its important to include Freeviews shopping channels then you might as well count NTLs - though you might need a calculator!:rolleyes:

And Front Row/PPV events access .....

Oh yes Prem+.... probably the joker in the pack!

1701-e
08-04-2004, 14:53
Again I may be wrong but I'm sure someone on Digitalspy had a screenshot of it testing on one of the channels the otherweek ;)

Also ITV3 is rumoured to be coming at the end of the year
The Disney owned channel will be on all platforms. ITV3 may be pay-tv.