PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filled radiators

Mr_love_monkey
11-01-2004, 11:54
Has anyone used one of these? - My sister-in-law is looking to replace the old electric convection heaters in her flat - either with new electric ones - or possibly oil filled radiators.

Having had a quick look the oil filled radiator looks a better bet - it's more expensive to buy, but having read the blurbs it seems to be cheaper to run, gives out more heat, and so on.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Julian
11-01-2004, 11:58
I have a couple of these at home, once they have warmed up they hold their heat really well - hence the economy thing I guess. :)

They both have thermostat switches which helps too.

Mr_love_monkey
11-01-2004, 12:02
I take it there is no real danger of the oil leaking?

Julian
11-01-2004, 12:06
They are supposed to be sealed for life afaik. Mine are years old, a bit chipped etc. but have never leaked. :)

Mr_love_monkey
11-01-2004, 12:10
Do they get hot like a 'proper' radiator does? i.e. if someone is stupid enough to put their hand on a radiator in full flow they get a nasty burn - but I was looking at some models and they talk about staying cool enough to touch?

Bifta
11-01-2004, 12:35
Do they get hot like a 'proper' radiator does? i.e. if someone is stupid enough to put their hand on a radiator in full flow they get a nasty burn - but I was looking at some models and they talk about staying cool enough to touch?

A radiator that's cool enough to touch? Unless they mean there's some kind of surround on it so you can move it about that's cool enough, but I can't imagine the radiator itself being cool .. you may as well use a lump of metal on wheels in it's place.

Julian
11-01-2004, 12:40
On the maximum setting I wouldn't leave my hand on there for long I must admit. :eek:

I very rarely use the highest setting though.

Not too sure about a " cool touch " version, must be as Bifta says - a protective panel around the radiator with convectors inside and a vent at the top.

luftys
11-01-2004, 12:43
Has anyone used one of these? - My sister-in-law is looking to replace the old electric convection heaters in her flat - either with new electric ones - or possibly oil filled radiators.

Having had a quick look the oil filled radiator looks a better bet - it's more expensive to buy, but having read the blurbs it seems to be cheaper to run, gives out more heat, and so on.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?
We have a couple at work,they are very good and safe,any thing can be Dangerous used the wrong way,and in the wrong place
I work in a school for 5 to 11 year olds,so we have to be safe

Paul
11-01-2004, 12:55
I have one in our conservatory as it gets rather cool at night (at this time of year) - they are perfectly safe and do get very hot if you set them high enough.