PDA

View Full Version : changing over to cable modem

NITRO
11-01-2004, 10:07
hi all.i have bb through a stb and would like to change over to a cable modem.my question is would i need new network cable to the stb.or would my old cable work
thx NITRO

etccarmageddon
11-01-2004, 12:30
same cable should work

Sociable
11-01-2004, 12:38
hi all.i have bb through a stb and would like to change over to a cable modem.my question is would i need new network cable to the stb.or would my old cable work
thx NITRO

Welcome to NTHW NITRO.

As has been said the same cable should be fine and in fact you may even get the option to choose between USB and Ethernet as AFAIK they still supply both cables with new modems. (Perhaps someone can confirm that)

Given the choice it always tends to be better to use ethernet as this is far more stable and uses less resources on the PC.

If you have any questions when you are ready to make the changover just post again and everyone here will try their best to help.

In the meantime have a browse round the forum and jump in as you are now part of the NTHW family. :)

Mr.Moony
11-01-2004, 13:13
Baring in mind the chap might have an ethernet converter, which you should be able to simply take off and use the enet cable (for older STB wireing). If you have the USB converter you will also be able to use that. X-over or straight through the wonder of the Ambits shall work on both.
However, please ensure the engineer installs the SACM next to your computer. Do not let him put it by the STB.

Ohhh and yes sociable, they do supply both! HOWEVER some laz-ey engineers tend to install the SACM next to the STB and use existing cabling. I would advise any customer who see's the engineer doing this to insist it goes next to the P.C.

I aint waiting for someone to walk downstairs to tell me the SACM lights. Oh No

NITRO
11-01-2004, 17:13
Baring in mind the chap might have an ethernet converter, which you should be able to simply take off and use the enet cable (for older STB wireing). If you have the USB converter you will also be able to use that. X-over or straight through the wonder of the Ambits shall work on both.
However, please ensure the engineer installs the SACM next to your computer. Do not let him put it by the STB.

Ohhh and yes sociable, they do supply both! HOWEVER some laz-ey engineers tend to install the SACM next to the STB and use existing cabling. I would advise any customer who see's the engineer doing this to insist it goes next to the P.C.

I aint waiting for someone to walk downstairs to tell me the SACM lights. Oh No

NITRO
11-01-2004, 17:14
many thanks for the replys i have had. you put my mind at rest thx NITRO :wavey:

stooo
19-02-2004, 00:25
Sorry guys, i'm a newbie..
what is a SACM?

I'm about to have a cable modem in to replace my stb, and my pc is in the bedroom, hooked up via the stb at the moment..

Cheers all

Marge
19-02-2004, 00:34
Sorry guys, i'm a newbie..
what is a SACM?

I'm about to have a cable modem in to replace my stb, and my pc is in the bedroom, hooked up via the stb at the moment..

Cheers all

Hi there and :welcome:

SACM = Stand Alone Cable Modem

stooo
19-02-2004, 01:41
Doh!...
It's been a long day ...:blush:
Cheers m8