PDA

View Full Version : wireless interference

Cyrill666
09-01-2004, 16:24
Hello,

I'm lead to believe that microwave ovens and DECT phones can cause problems with wireless networking in the home. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did the problems manifest themselves?

I ask because I was using my wireless connection from another room whilst talking on a DECT phone, and I noticed no degradation of networking performance.

I'm on 802.11b (11 Mbps)

Just wondering.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
:D

Stuartbe
09-01-2004, 16:31
Hello,

I'm lead to believe that microwave ovens and DECT phones can cause problems with wireless networking in the home. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did the problems manifest themselves?

I ask because I was using my wireless connection from another room whilst talking on a DECT phone, and I noticed no degradation of networking performance.

I'm on 802.11b (11 Mbps)

Just wondering.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
:D

It only realy efects 54g or 802.11g to be acurate. The newer technology operates at 2.4ghz - very near the bands that dect phones use.

I have a belkin wap and two wireless clients - my dect phone only efects them if I stand very close to the wap.

HTH

SMHarman
09-01-2004, 16:33
The problems are likely to be dropped connections / weak connections. They are due to all three operating on similar frequencies. Dect is 1900Mhz, Networks at 2400Mhz. Orange, Virgin and T Mobile might also join the party at 1800Mhz.

No Idea what frequency you microwave food at though, probably a wide band of radiation. Microwaves cause problems if the seals on the door have failed.

Shaun
09-01-2004, 17:08
Microwaves use a frequency of 2.8Ghz, that's 2800Mhz, so I guess they could interfere, but only if the shielding on the magnetron or the door seals have gone!