PDA

View Full Version : Bus lanes

peachey
07-01-2004, 22:16
whoever thought them up and implemented them
needs a good and proper kick up the ar$e

sitting logjammed on the way to work this morning
all that inhabited the bus lane was a militant cyclist resplendant in dayglo strips while the rest of us, on fear of a headline grabbing fine, sat there texting and phoning into work saying how we would be late

the buses themselves were nowhere to be seen
as usual

Prescott - I put it to you that you are a complete and utter prat
how do you plead?

Mal
07-01-2004, 22:19
The one perk of us bus users - the bus lane. :)

Whilst you're stuck in traffic, we sail through. :)

danielf
07-01-2004, 22:20
all that inhabited the bus lane was a militant cyclist resplendant in dayglo strips

So you saw me then? :D

peachey
07-01-2004, 22:21
The one perk of us bus users - the bus lane. :)

Whilst you're stuck in traffic, we sail through. :)

that's not true though!

as here the lanes are only intermittent

Mal
07-01-2004, 22:23
that's not true though!

as here the lanes are only intermittent
True where I am though :D

peachey
07-01-2004, 22:25
True where I am though :D

so how come we get gouged for so called road tax?

then have half the road earmarked for the urine smelling, unpuctual, oversubsidised, diesel guzzling, road blocking eyesores

Mal
07-01-2004, 22:28

then have half the road earmarked for the urine smelling, unpuctual, oversubsidised, diesel guzzling, road blocking eyesores
As I've never had to pay road tax, I couldn't say why. Maybe you should ask the DVLA. :)

Paul
07-01-2004, 22:37
We have some bus lanes in Nottingham that are 24 hr - we don't have any 24 hr bus services - how stupid can you get :rolleyes:

Mick
07-01-2004, 22:40
Bus lanes are on the increase as a ploy to get users to use them rather than the car which gets stuck in traffic thanks to the bus lane now taking up the road. I seem to remember how annoying public transport was, late buses, waiting in freezing weather, bubble gum on seats, standing up and the most irritating - the drivers changing over, usually waiting 10 - 15 minutes for the new driver. Sorry buses are not for me and an increase in bus lanes will not make me change my mind.

peachey
07-01-2004, 22:41
We have some bus lanes in Nottingham that are 24 hr - we don't have any 24 hr bus services - how stupid can you get :rolleyes:

the goverment (labour) is trying to bring in these 'super traffic wardens'
to 'levy fines' on people who see the true folly of the situation and choose to drive in the empty spaces on the roads

once more we see more stealth taxes and poll tax on wheels

cue the prat who retorts: "but it's the law"

Pritch
07-01-2004, 22:45
If it annoys you so much, why not use a vehicle that allows you to go in the bus lane?

If you're late, it's your fault, you don't get bubble gum on the seat... yes I'm talking about bicycles.

Mal
07-01-2004, 22:47
the goverment (labour) is trying to bring in these 'super traffic wardens'
to 'levy fines' on people who see the true folly of the situation and choose to drive in the empty spaces on the roads

once more we see more stealth taxes and poll tax on wheels

cue the prat who retorts: "but it's the law"
If it bothers you that much, vent your anger in a letter to your local M.P. :)

peachey
07-01-2004, 22:49

I have

Mal
07-01-2004, 22:50
I have
Have you got a reply yet?

Mick
07-01-2004, 22:52

Or better still vote with your feet come the next general election. But saying that who to vote for? :shrug:

peachey
07-01-2004, 22:55
Have you got a reply yet?

nope
don't expect one either

only thing that concerns them down here is bolstering pension schemes, usually through council tax raises, so they can retire

Stuart
07-01-2004, 22:57

Maybe because you use roads?

Seriously, I think the idea behind Bus Lanes is that anyone using a bus is not using a car. In the rush hour, that could mean (up to) 60 fewer cars on the road, for each bus. I say in theory, because I am assuming one person per car (yes, I know many people give or have lifts to work, so there are 2 or more in the car) and that each bus is full.

If used fully & properly by buses, I think Bus lanes are a good idea. Generally though, they are a waste of road.

peachey
07-01-2004, 23:02
Maybe because you use roads?

Seriously, I think the idea behind Bus Lanes is that anyone using a bus is not using a car. In the rush hour, that could mean (up to) 60 fewer cars on the road, for each bus. I say in theory, because I am assuming one person per car (yes, I know many people give or have lifts to work, so there are 2 or more in the car) and that each bus is full.

If used fully & properly by buses, I think Bus lanes are a good idea. Generally though, they are a waste of road.

I was in germany a couple of months back
the buses arrive on time every ten minutes

they had a system where you just all got on and sorted the ticket out inside via a machine

here - they stop, block the road completely and the entire road system grinds to a halt while a granny (aside from bus passes etc) fumbles for change for an eternity- this is why you allways see 3 in a row etc - cos the first one allways clogs up and collects all the passengers

philip.j.fry
07-01-2004, 23:12

True, but have you seen the cycle lanes in nottingham...they are only along quiet bits of road, get to the busy bits where they are needed and they dissapear :/

peachey
07-01-2004, 23:15
True, but have you seen the cycle lanes in nottingham...they are only along quiet bits of road, get to the busy bits where they are needed and they dissapear :/

same here

there is one piece of cycle lane that is 10 feet long

"ah - I enjoyed cycling along that (you can hear them thinking)"
:afire:

Stuart
07-01-2004, 23:21
I was in germany a couple of months back
the buses arrive on time every ten minutes

they had a system where you just all got on and sorted the ticket out inside via a machine

here - they stop, block the road completely and the entire road system grinds to a halt while a granny (aside from bus passes etc) fumbles for change for an eternity- this is why you allways see 3 in a row etc - cos the first one allways clogs up and collects all the passengersI agree, the buses here are crap. I have only used the buses in and around London, but I think I can safely assume they are as crap anywhere else..

Mind you, in central London, they are trying out a scheme to reduce the queuing to get on the bus. Most stops around Central London & the West End now have ticket machines. You have to buy your tickets on these machines, as the drivers have been instructed not to sell tickets in these areas..

And don't get me started on cyclists...

Paul
07-01-2004, 23:25
I have seen them, what really annoys me is they ones they put on the pavement instead of the road, so if you are not careful you get mown down by a cyclist while out walking (like around the QMC) - it's just totally stupid, bikes should not be on the pavements.

And what sort of nutter thinks it's a good idea to ride a bike to work in the freezing cold, driving rain, snow blizzard (or indeed red hot sun) - they are mad and there is no way I will ever do it.

danielf
07-01-2004, 23:26

Don't forget the one on Castle Boulevard near the Castle Marina retail Park, the cyclepath is not much wider than the trees in the middle of it every 20 yard or so :rofl: Thank God there's the pavement next to it...

Edit: just read Pem's post. You're obviously right, but who thought up putting a cycle path on a tree lined pavement? That's just stupid isn't it. Around QMC I use the bus lanes where I can.

homealone
08-01-2004, 00:00
I have seen them, what really annoys me is they ones they put on the pavement instead of the road, so if you are not careful you get mown down by a cyclist while out walking (like around the QMC) - it's just totally stupid, bikes should not be on the pavements.

And what sort of nutter thinks it's a good idea to ride a bike to work in the freezing cold, driving rain, snow blizzard (or indeed red hot sun) - they are mad and there is no way I will ever do it.

me;)

45 minutes a day of free non impact aerobic exercise - cancel that gym sub, now;)

how can I justify taking ½ a tonne of metal out on the road for such a short journey, for a start, in the winter I've got there before you have cleared your windscreen:)

but, speaking as a cyclist, cycle lanes don't work, get rid of them - let us take our 'chances' on a 'real' road - & be seen & indicate - and not have to deal with idiots like the person tonight who opened the car door ½ a second before I arrived in the same space - despite, yes lights, yes hi-vis vest. - if an artic had been 2 feet outside me, my legacy would have been the Jackson Pollock.

TigaSefi
08-01-2004, 00:05
I love the bus lanes in london , i can be at work within 15 mins bliss...... and it all free too and ALSO I don't have to get up till 8am BLISS :D <-- Happy Camper. Oh and I am a driver too but I rather leave my car at home whenever possible.

danielf
08-01-2004, 00:14
me;)

45 minutes a day of free non impact aerobic exercise - cancel that gym sub, now;)

how can I justify taking ½ a tonne of metal out on the road for such a short journey, for a start, in the winter I've got there before you have cleared your windscreen:)

but, speaking as a cyclist, cycle lanes don't work, get rid of them - let us take our 'chances' on a 'real' road - & be seen & indicate - and not have to deal with idiots like the person tonight who opened the car door ½ a second before I arrived in the same space - despite, yes lights, yes hi-vis vest. - if an artic had been 2 feet outside me, my legacy would have been the Jackson Pollock.

It depends, on my way to work I use one that runs at least half a mile, is completely separated from the main road, and is about 3 yards wide, and thus has plenty of room for 2 way traffic of both cyclists and pedestrians (the occasional group of joggers can be a nuisance though). I will choose that over the main road any time. But, I agree some cycle lanes are so naff that I feel safer being part of traffic proper, rather than being on a cycle path that is interrupted by road every minute.

homealone
08-01-2004, 00:21
It depends, on my way to work I use one that runs at least half a mile, is completely separated from the main road, and is about 3 yards wide, and thus has plenty of room for 2 way traffic of both cyclists and pedestrians (the occasional group of joggers can be a nuisance though). I will choose that over the main road any time. But, I agree some cycle lanes are so naff that I feel safer being part of traffic proper, rather than being on a cycle path that is interrupted by road every minute.

I haven't got anything against 'dedicated' cycle lanes, it's the ones that only serve to narrow existing roads that wind me up:)

Escapee
08-01-2004, 09:10
If it annoys you so much, why not use a vehicle that allows you to go in the bus lane?

If you're late, it's your fault, you don't get bubble gum on the seat... yes I'm talking about bicycles.

Or drive a threewheeler as they are allowed in bus lanes, if you get a convertible one you can go over the bridge for free as well. :D

Dave Stones
08-01-2004, 09:26
a convertible robin reliant? :eek:

*drools*

basa
08-01-2004, 09:33
Yeah.....I first thought this was going to be another thread ****ging off cyclists, but no...vive la cyclist !!

On yer bike !!!!!!! :D

Dave Stones
08-01-2004, 09:35
well we can always start ****ging them off if you like...

up north around huddersfield the cycle lanes stop abruptly and the cyclists are directed TO THE PAVEMENT :mad:. seeing a militant on the cyclepath/pavement (no divider, just a picture of a bike, as though we walkers come second to the wheel monster) makes me a very angry bunny...

anyway bus lanes... yes they are a great idea. we public transport (and convertible robin reliant) users get to laugh at all you business types sitting there in the jam picking your noses :D