PDA

View Full Version : It won't make you happy...

Russ
07-01-2004, 10:43
As you're filling out that lottery ticket for saturday.......bear this (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30500-12967421,00.html) in mind.

aliferste
07-01-2004, 11:01
Yea, but he cant walk down the street without screaming fans following him. If i won the lottery i would still only be me BUT with lots of money!
I wouldnt have pressures like showbizz rubbish to put up with.
I would marry my girlfriend immediatly....start travelling the world and when i get back start doing a little light work :)

Money doesnt mae you happy.......but it helps!!

peachey
07-01-2004, 11:14
Money doesnt mae you happy.......but it helps!!

yes
it may not bring you happiness
but at least you can be miserable in comfort

gary_580
07-01-2004, 11:29
It would help if he actually knew what he wanted from his life!!

if he wanted to go into obscurity he could, he doesnt he needs the attention

Escapee
07-01-2004, 11:37
If I won the lottery jackpot I would hope to get free heating at home.

I would go public, buy a wood burning stove and one of those log makers to compress all the begging letters for burning on the stove. :D

SMHarman
07-01-2004, 11:42
It would help if he actually knew what he wanted from his life!!

if he wanted to go into obscurity he could, he doesnt he needs the attention

Indeed Caroline Ahern (Mrs Merton) said she wanted obscurity and fled to Oz, she's back because people didn't know "who I am?".

Madonna, as an equally rich megastar 'appears' to be leading a fairly normal life these days, most people dont get photographed with their kids in the park, but she seems to be able to do such things without too great a media intrusion. It's how you live your life.

basa
07-01-2004, 13:22
What a 'noddy' Robbie Williams is !! He could easily 'disappear' with all his millions (who would miss him ??) He can't live without the adulation is all !!

Let him give me his £68m and I could guarantee I would never be miserable ! I'd just be happy that I and my family would never have to worry about money ever again !! :mad:

Graham
07-01-2004, 13:29
Oh dear, poor(!) Robbie Williams, my heart bleeds for him!

As others have pointed out, it would be easy for him to step out of the limelight, take his money and be happy, but he has courted the publicity and got the fame, so he's got nobody to "blame" but himself.

However, as others have also pointed out, that's nothing to do with winning the lottery (which I don't do anyway!)

Russ
07-01-2004, 14:36
I'm glad! :)

basa
07-01-2004, 15:07
I'm glad! :)

Erm :confused: well bully for you :p but pray tell...what about ??? :D

Russ
07-01-2004, 15:09
....that Graham doesn't do the lottery :)

Actually if you follow the above link it starts of by saying Robbie would give up his millions because it doesn't make him happy, it only mentions the fame later. He's said in other interviews that money won't bring happiness.

downquark1
07-01-2004, 15:13
[Sceptic hat on]

What pray tell will make him happy? -it's always the thing you don't have

I think some people will never be happy.

Xaccers
07-01-2004, 15:16
[Sceptic hat on]

I'll join you under that hat!

Being in the papers saying he doesn't want his money and getting the free publicity....

SMHarman
07-01-2004, 15:20
[Sceptic hat on]

Perhaps making up with Guy Chambers would be a start.

basa
07-01-2004, 15:26
....that Graham doesn't do the lottery :)

Actually if you follow the above link it starts of by saying Robbie would give up his millions because it doesn't make him happy, it only mentions the fame later. He's said in other interviews that money won't bring happiness.

Have you noticed though that it is always people with loads 'o money that say that, but how many give it all away to achieve that happiness ?? :rolleyes:

Yep...none !! I wonder why they say that, could it be to placate us poor bast8rds ?? :mad:

Russ
07-01-2004, 15:30
I think true love will make people more happy than excessive money which can be lost, stolen, embezzeled, wasted, spent etc

SMHarman
07-01-2004, 15:40
Have you noticed though that it is always people with loads 'o money that say that, but how many give it all away to achieve that happiness ?? :rolleyes:

Yep...none !! I wonder why they say that, could it be to placate us poor bast8rds ?? :mad:

A number of the seriously wealthy do give a fair amount away. Look at things like the Sainsbury wing of the national gallery, Billy Gates funds and scholarships.

The firm I work for require all Senior ee's to give 4% of their pay to charity. A lot of wealthy people give some of thier money away without shouting about it.

orangebird
07-01-2004, 15:47
Won't make you happy? Tish and pish....

It's not having loads of money that makes you unhappy.

Not having the worry of how I can pay all my bills every month would leave me ecstatic.

The money is not Robbies problem, it's his attitude about how to deal with it.

Not wanting to sound completely shallow, if I had his money I'd be deliriously happy every waking hour of every day. :)

gary_580
07-01-2004, 15:48
I think true love will make people more happy than excessive money which can be lost, stolen, embezzeled, wasted, spent etc

hahaha thats for another thread, What is true love? Most people wouldnt recognise it if it slapped them in the face Don't ask Robbie Williams either!!!

Paul
07-01-2004, 16:28
Not wanting to sound completely shallow, if I had his money I'd be deliriously happy every waking hour of every day. :)
So would I - He can donate his millions to me any time he feels like it. :D

Russ
07-01-2004, 16:33

And what about once you get bored?

orangebird
07-01-2004, 17:06

How could you get bored with all that money at your disposal?? There's a million and one things I'm sure I could think of that I want to do in life, the great majority of which I will never be able to do because I can't afford to. With all those millions, I'd be busy til I was too old and tired to do anymore. :)

aliferste
07-01-2004, 18:05

You never heard of a HOBBY :)

I could go fishing ANYWHERE...it would be fantastic!!!

Atomic22
07-01-2004, 20:04
if robbie could just donate me enough lolly to buy myself a private box for life at old trafford........i would gladly give the rest away

Marge
07-01-2004, 20:08
If Robbie wakes up to the fact I'm the girl of his dreams (or was that nightmares) I'll gladly show him where he's going wrong and show that money can make you happy ;)

basa
08-01-2004, 09:49
A number of the seriously wealthy do give a fair amount away. Look at things like the Sainsbury wing of the national gallery, Billy Gates funds and scholarships.

The firm I work for require all Senior ee's to give 4% of their pay to charity. A lot of wealthy people give some of thier money away without shouting about it.

I know a lot of seriously wealthy people do use their money to good effect and kudos to them for it.

It is the whingers like Robbie who moan like this but don't do anything to resolve it like donating it to good causes (e.g. me !!) that p*ss me off

Graham
08-01-2004, 13:43
I know a lot of seriously wealthy people do use their money to good effect and kudos to them for it.

Someone will probably accuse me of assuming the worst about people if I cynically point out that charitable donations are tax deductable...! :)

SMHarman
08-01-2004, 15:13
Someone will probably accuse me of assuming the worst about people if I cynically point out that charitable donations are tax deductable...! :)

They are, but thats a benefit to the recipent, not the donor. The donor still needs to give £1M of gross income (which would have been £590k in their pocket) for the recipent to receive £1M.

And the donor would need to be in a position to be able to give that money away.

Colin
08-01-2004, 16:29
ooooh that really gets on my nerves. The only thing that is stopping him from throwing his fame and money away is his ego. The same ego that made him say this anyway.

Why did this make the news, why oh why oh why. We shouldn't care about egotistical ******s like him.

Wow feel a little bit better now.

Escapee
08-01-2004, 17:15
How could you get bored with all that money at your disposal?? There's a million and one things I'm sure I could think of that I want to do in life, the great majority of which I will never be able to do because I can't afford to. With all those millions, I'd be busy til I was too old and tired to do anymore. :)

Something I agree with!

I was fortunate enough to be made redundant and have nine months off work, I was able to get up before 7:30 every morning and go out to my garage and work on my cars. I always thought that you would need lots of money to enjoy yourself, but to be honest if I was getting the money I'm paid now every month to stay at home I would be on top of the world again.

This doesn't work for everyone though, because at the end of the day some people just dont have any hobbies. I know people who just come home from work and sit in front of the telly like a couch potato, and on weekends just go window shopping to pass the boredom. lots of time on your hands is great if you have interests to occupy it.

Escapee now wishing he could get made redundant on the same terms again. :D