PDA

View Full Version : DISCover pc games console

kronas
05-01-2004, 20:04
here is a new piece of kit that will be released in the US which will allow you to play pc games on your tv much like a console such as the PS2 and XBOX

http://www.discoverconsole.com/default.htm

Bifta
06-01-2004, 12:59
Most modern video cards have an s-video out socket .. spend a tenner and get an s-video to scart lead with audio and you don't need to buy a new gimmick.

Stuart
06-01-2004, 13:36
Most modern video cards have an s-video out socket .. spend a tenner and get an s-video to scart lead with audio and you don't need to buy a new gimmick.
I don't know if that is the point. The point they seem to be making on the site is that the console is as easy to use as a standard console (which, lets face it, a PC isn't) and comes in a case that would look good in a living room.

Bifta
06-01-2004, 13:49
think about it, PC games aren't written for a specific hardware spec like they are for consoles. what happens when something get's released that surpasses the spec of this pc in a box? I'll warrant it's not the easiest beast to find upgrade parts for.

edit: You may as well buy a nice Shuttle X

Steve H
06-01-2004, 18:12
Personally, I would never buy one :shrug:

But I can see the benifits.. Its easy to use, Looks pretty nice, and updates, via the net, which should let you play online games?

Noticed the AMD FX Logo on the site, so presumably thats the processor.. Thats pretty futureproof. Dont see any mention of the spec other than that though, for $299, its seems pretty cheap if it can play all the current games, and play the new ones upcoming.

Alone, the FX proccessor is £500 :eek:, though i cant see them using this at that price :\

I can see potential.

ZrByte
06-01-2004, 20:50
Cant see myself ever buying one but I think it is gonna be a definate plus :tu:
Just think of how cheap PC games are compared to Most console games....
And think of the masses this machine will help to finally turn to PC's and away from thier Evil consoles.
I wonder if this machine will be able to do simple PC tasks, Word processing, Internet browsing etc or will it be a dumb game machine??
Either way I see it as a good thing as it will probably lower the cost for PC games further. And even if it doesnt do that odds are we will at least see an increase in developement of current titles.

Neil
06-01-2004, 21:13
The other problem is that TVs don't support the same resolutions that PCs do.....

Bifta
06-01-2004, 23:43
Via will provide its low-cost 1.2-gigahertz C3 microprocessor

It'll be about as useful with modern games as breasts are to a stallion, apparently they'll also be supplying the graphics chipset ... not much of a winner imho. However, I am interested in what the DISCover software will do.

Bifta
06-01-2004, 23:48
Probably been a thread about this already, but I do like the look of this:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200310/03-1007E/

Steve H
06-01-2004, 23:53
It'll be about as useful with modern games as breasts are to a stallion, apparently they'll also be supplying the graphics chipset ... not much of a winner imho. However, I am interested in what the DISCover software will do.

Well its gotta work with the current, and upcoming games.. or else there's no point in it, really. Maybe they've got somethin' up there sleeve :p

Bifta
07-01-2004, 02:05
Hopefully .. perhaps they'll offer different spec's to the boxes, the c3 obviously being at the dirgey end.