PDA

View Full Version : i've had enough

Colin
04-01-2004, 12:16
After waking up this morning coughing half my lungs up, lighting a fag, coughing the rest up, walked to work and coughing god knows what up, i have decided to give up the fags.

I'm sick of having a bad throat, no money, standing outside in the freezing cold and smelling of cigarettes.

I threw the rest of my fags in the bin this morning, but i need advice as to how to carry on not smoking. i know from experience that i'm crap at giving up, so has anyone got anything wise they can pass over to a young amature?

Russ
04-01-2004, 12:21
And there's me thinking that by the title of this thread, we were about to lose another member :D

FANTASTIC that you've made that decision, I really hope you see it through. How about making an appointment with your doc, and having a look at sites such as this (http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/asp/healthy_living/lifestyle/smoking/)? :)

Xaccers
04-01-2004, 12:24
After 2 days (maybe less) your body no longer craves nicotine, so the craving then is all in your mind (which is a bugger)

If you normally smoke down the pub, hold your pint in your smoking hand.
Put a rubber band round your wrist and twang yourself hard whenever you get the urge.
Try the sugar free lolipops to give you something to suck and something to do with your hand.
Let people around you know so that when you bite their head off they don't bite back making things worse.
Set up a savings account, and a standing order to move what you'd spend a month on fags into the savings account (make it a 90 day access account). That way you won't have the money to spend on fags, but will be saving it away. My uncle did this and at the end of the year managed to go on holiday with his wife and 3 kids!

Course I've never managed to start smoking myself, I just don't have the willpower :D

Russ
04-01-2004, 12:25
Course I've never managed to start smoking myself, I just don't have the willpower :D

Have you thought of using patches? :D

Bex
04-01-2004, 12:26
col once you make the decision to quit you can generally keep up with it......

try nicotine patches to start off with.... i personally didnt use them but some have said they help..... what i found worked was sucking lollies.....because the hardest thing i found was the habit of having something in my mouth.......

don't be tempted to have a cig or a drag of one, for old times sake, it will start you off smoking again

Xaccers
04-01-2004, 12:30
Have you thought of using patches? :D

Yeah, but my plaster phobia prevents me :D

Try not to get drunk! You're more likely to start smoking again.

Colin
04-01-2004, 12:46
cheers

I did think about the patches, but know they are quite expensive (i know, so are fags).

By the looks of things over the next couple of weeks i may have to just stay in my bedroom (flatmates are smokers as well)

24 hours after giving up

Carbon monoxide is eliminated from the body.

What this means
Look forward to better sports performance, with stronger endurance, lower levels of fatigue, improved recovery after exercise and a lower heart rate for each level of exercise.

Definetly looking forward to this happening. I'm still amazed that a 23 year old lad can be knackered after wlaking up a flight of stairs

Bex
04-01-2004, 12:49
cheers

I did think about the patches, but know they are quite expensive (i know, so are fags).

By the looks of things over the next couple of weeks i may have to just stay in my bedroom (flatmates are smokers as well)

Definetly looking forward to this happening. I'm still amazed that a 23 year old lad can be knackered after wlaking up a flight of stairs

ahh living with smokers makes it ten times harder
when i gave up the first time, i found it didnt bother me until about 2/3 months ish...and then i started getting cravings :erm: and also with uni, it was about that time we had exmas so the stress was on......
maybe i should jump on the quitting bandwagon again

the other thing is that quitting might make you start snacking more...so you need to be careful about that......
and why don't you buy yourself a treat at the end of each week....like a new book or something.....

Colin
04-01-2004, 13:04
ahh living with smokers makes it ten times harder
when i gave up the first time, i found it didnt bother me until about 2/3 months ish...and then i started getting cravings :erm: and also with uni, it was about that time we had exmas so the stress was on......
maybe i should jump on the quitting bandwagon again

the other thing is that quitting might make you start snacking more...so you need to be careful about that......
and why don't you buy yourself a treat at the end of each week....like a new book or something.....

My aim is a car.

I passed my driving test 6 years ago and have never driven since, so thats what i'm saving for.

But to be honest i may go with the book thing as well :naughty:

Paul
04-01-2004, 15:34
I gave up in 1986, the only side effect was that I put on weight.

Bex
04-01-2004, 15:37
My aim is a car.

I passed my driving test 6 years ago and have never driven since, so thats what i'm saving for.

But to be honest i may go with the book thing as well :naughty:

well you can buy a decent book with what it would cost for one to two packets of cigs, so buy one book a week and put the other money you save into a high interest account......maybe do something like a monthly saver or an e-saver.....and then you can eventually get an ickle car

Theodoric
04-01-2004, 15:48
After 2 days (maybe less) your body no longer craves nicotine, so the craving then is all in your mind (which is a bugger)

If you normally smoke down the pub, hold your pint in your smoking hand.
Put a rubber band round your wrist and twang yourself hard whenever you get the urge.
Try the sugar free lolipops to give you something to suck and something to do with your hand.
Let people around you know so that when you bite their head off they don't bite back making things worse.
Set up a savings account, and a standing order to move what you'd spend a month on fags into the savings account (make it a 90 day access account). That way you won't have the money to spend on fags, but will be saving it away. My uncle did this and at the end of the year managed to go on holiday with his wife and 3 kids!

"twang yourself hard whenever you get the urge." Cough! Splutter! Pardon me whilst my mind ceases boggling! :)

However, back to the subject under discussion. A good health scare, a persistent cough in my case, worked for me. I then used straightforward will power. Trust me, it does work (OK, the first 2 years are the worst). You know it's working when you have a cup of coffee or a drink and realise that you don't feel miserable. Publicly and loudly announcing your intention to family and friends can also help, unless you are completely devoid of shame, of course.

Ramrod
04-01-2004, 15:48
i need advice as to how to carry on not smoking. i know from experience that i'm crap at giving up, so has anyone got anything wise they can pass over to a young amature?
I wouldn't normally do this but since you asked, here you go:Try clicking on the first cigarette- Noni (http://members.lycos.co.uk/zep_/whyquit/) :(
Then check out the rest of the site :(

Colin
04-01-2004, 16:59
(OK, the first 2 years are the worst)

THE FIRST TWO YEARS!!! :eek:

I think i may change my mind. :D

Colin
04-01-2004, 17:08
I wouldn't normally do this but since you asked, here you go:Try clicking on the first cigarette- Noni (http://members.lycos.co.uk/zep_/whyquit/) :(
Then check out the rest of the site :(

WOW. Not a lot to say about that really. Not a lot you can say

timewarrior2001
04-01-2004, 17:41
Just dont buy any more smokes, I went cold turkey and it worked, if you dont have the will power to stop smoking i doubt you would have the will power to stay off them once you are on the patches.
I dont mean to insult you but thats the way I see it.

Best way to quit is to just stop. No nicotine chewwy, no Nicotine patches just stop bang, after 3weeks your suposedly no longer dependant on nicotine.

First 3 days is the worst time.

Nor
04-01-2004, 17:47
Nice one Col D, good luck mate.

Theodoric
04-01-2004, 19:12
THE FIRST TWO YEARS!!! :eek:

I think i may change my mind. :D
Actually, I'm not exaggerating too much. In my experience, you need to be prepared for the long haul on this one. But, the craving will definitely eventually go away. I still get an occasional urge, even after 14 years, but it's now easy to resist.

Colin
04-01-2004, 19:13
Actually, I'm not exaggerating too much. In my experience, you need to be prepared for the long haul on this one. But, the craving will definitely eventually go away. I still get an occasional urge, even after 14 years, but it's now easy to resist.

Thanks a lot.

I'm definetly determined to kick in the habit once and for all.

kronas
05-01-2004, 05:29
I'm definetly determined to kick in the habit once and for all.

the thing you can do for when you have cravings, is to just replace the feeling subconcisely, with something healthy to eat, or even some chocolate, that way you will start craving for chocolate :p

moderation is the key, to indulge yourself in the finer point of eating chocolate :D

Maggy
05-01-2004, 08:40
Speaking as a non smoker who has observed others around her trying to give up on tobacco I can say you have my sympathy.However going by experience I think the fact that you gave up the way you did points to you having the full will power to give up.

YOU decided and you weren't pushed into it.That gives you a real fighting chance.Those who give up to please others NEVER succeed(like dieters).

You went cold turkey-much more likely to work-none of this I'll finish the packet malarky,I'll just smoke half my normal ration,I'll just stick to cigars.(yes I'm married to a smoker who still hasn't given up and should 'cos the doctor told him to).

I don't know about the patches as I have yet to meet anyone who has succeeded using them.Doesn't mean that they don't work but I think they tend to stretch it out a bit longer so I never catch up with anyone who has finished the course as I work in a non smoking environment(can't have the staff behind the bikesheds) so I forget who is trying to give up.

Anyway much as I want my husband to give up I dread the next time he wants to stop.When he does I'm leaving home for a while as he gets very nasty during withdrawal.Yes I know I should be more supportive but when he's mean,he's nasty with no holds barred.Protect me from a moody,sulking,nicotine dependant husband.

Good Luck.

Incog :tu:

gary_580
05-01-2004, 09:55
because the hardest thing i found was the habit of having something in my mouth.......

ohhhh there she goes again!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Colin
05-01-2004, 16:33
Speaking as a non smoker who has observed others around her trying to give up on tobacco I can say you have my sympathy.However going by experience I think the fact that you gave up the way you did points to you having the full will power to give up.

YOU decided and you weren't pushed into it.That gives you a real fighting chance.Those who give up to please others NEVER succeed(like dieters).

You went cold turkey-much more likely to work-none of this I'll finish the packet malarky,I'll just smoke half my normal ration,I'll just stick to cigars

I agree, i've tried to cut down, or limit myself in the past and it never works. cold turkey is definetly the best way.

I don't know about the patches as I have yet to meet anyone who has succeeded using them.Doesn't mean that they don't work but I think they tend to stretch it out a bit longer so I never catch up with anyone who has finished the course as I work in a non smoking environment(can't have the staff behind the bikesheds) so I forget who is trying to give up.

I don't think that i know anyone who it has worked for as well, and i just dont get how it works. To cure an addiction you surely can't keep feeding it.

Good Luck.

Incog :tu:

Thank you very much