PDA

View Full Version : usb connection keeps dropping

cooltt
01-07-2003, 17:26
Hi everyone i hope someone can help me.
I've had broadband for a while now but i have a persistant problem that ntl says they cannot help me with any further.
The problem is the usb light on the modem goes out and i have to restart my pc to get on the net again.
I've done all the usaul fault finding but just cannot understand why this keeps on happening.
Any ideas please???
modem is ntl home 100 (the silver one) and i'm running xp home.

Thanks

poolking
01-07-2003, 17:41
Originally posted by cooltt
Hi everyone i hope someone can help me.
I've had broadband for a while now but i have a persistant problem that ntl says they cannot help me with any further.
The problem is the usb light on the modem goes out and i have to restart my pc to get on the net again.
I've done all the usaul fault finding but just cannot understand why this keeps on happening.
Any ideas please???
modem is ntl home 100 (the silver one) and i'm running xp home.

Thanks

Switch to ethernet, more reliable.

kronas
01-07-2003, 17:47
ethernet is VERY reliable also using usb uses more resources from your pc which is a bad thing and can cause problems

this link has them cheap

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=31095

hope that helps :)

bonzoe
01-07-2003, 20:25
It's a known problem when using USB, something to do with power saving in OS when no activity on port it shuts it down, then there are problems restarting it correctly.

Why NTL recommend USB is beyond me, that's all that the CD they provide is used for, then they can't give adeqate support.

Go for NIC, cable come with modem

MovedGoalPosts
01-07-2003, 23:37
Originally posted by bonzoe
Why NTL recommend USB is beyond me, that's all that the CD they provide is used for, then they can't give adeqate support.

It's easy - the computer industry says USB is Plug and Play and easy to set up with no complications - ntl fall for that line and as it's easy and has no complications there's no need to train staff to deal with the non existent complications.

On the other hand Network Cards once set up are reliable, but if it don't work right first time troubleshooting can be a real pain in the backside. So training support staff to help with these type of issues over the phone is almost impossible.

Ramrod
01-07-2003, 23:48
I had the same problem with win 98, switched to xp and that solved it....not much help for you there then:(
I first tried switching to an ethernet card wich really bolli*ed things up:D.
Try getting the modem settings tweaked on the robin walker site.
Do you have a firewall? If so get those settings set up correctly...robin walker again

cooltt
02-07-2003, 00:08
Thanks everyone the problems been sorted now.
The ethernet solution is out the window cause i don't have an ethernet card. But i did visit the windows update site and downloaded some stuff and now the problems solved!:)

Ramrod
02-07-2003, 00:10
Glad to hear it:)

poolking
02-07-2003, 00:22
Originally posted by cooltt
Thanks everyone the problems been sorted now.
The ethernet solution is out the window cause i don't have an ethernet card. But i did visit the windows update site and downloaded some stuff and now the problems solved!:)

But if it does happen again, NICs only cost a fiver for the cheapie ones.

a4pacific
05-07-2003, 13:57
I have used USB ever since I had NTL, I have had absolutely no problem either in installing it or running it. Piece of cake.

imback
05-07-2003, 14:45
I had BB running on my 98 machine on usb for 6 months with no problems, but from being on the phone to customers all day, I can say usb can be a real pain sometimes, and if it starts going wrong spend a few quid on a nic.

bigitup_j
05-07-2003, 17:12
i have a usb connection for bb, and it is a problem. i notice that when i have been surfing for a while, the connection starts to slow down and when i exit internet explorer the computer sometimes locks up. so i am buying a ethernet card, and hopefully it should all work fine! :)