PDA

View Full Version : DVD Deteriorated!!!!

Bugblatter
30-12-2003, 23:45
I just got out my copy of The Terminator, which I bought in March 2001 and it has a weird look to it. The playing side looks as if it has condensation on it, however it is as dry as a bone.

Guess what? It won't play.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyone else had this happen to a DVD disc? I have others going back to late 1999 with no problems. :shrug:

Mal
30-12-2003, 23:53
Funnily enough, there was a thread about this on .com and it was the terminator dvd then. It happened on my copy. When I used a cloth to clean it, was okay after that.

homealone
30-12-2003, 23:59
I just got out my copy of The Terminator, which I bought in March 2001 and it has a weird look to it. The playing side looks as if it has condensation on it, however it is as dry as a bone.

Guess what? It won't play.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyone else had this happen to a DVD disc? I have others going back to late 1999 with no problems. :shrug:

it sounds like one layer of the DVD is delaminating?

Bugblatter
31-12-2003, 00:35
Funnily enough, there was a thread about this on .com and it was the terminator dvd then. It happened on my copy. When I used a cloth to clean it, was okay after that.

Retrieved the discs from the bin, washed them under the tap with a little washing up liquid, dried with a soft cloth. Works OK now?! :shrug:

Thanks for that. I would guess that the packaging gave off some evaporation which dried on the disc surface.

jazbirSB
07-02-2004, 03:54
Just thought i post this also. I felt like watching the terminator the other day and would you belive it both discs looked like they had condensation on them and were a little sticky (had not watched it in a while, its the special edition 2disc set i have). So chucked the damn things away.

I moved all my dvd discs from were they were being stored thinking they were being attacked by mold or something. Popped on the net to see if it was a problem with earlier dvd releases...looks like it could just be the terminator discs or plastic inlays at fault.

Got the discs back from the bin, what should i clean them with?

MadGamer
07-02-2004, 10:15
Just thought i post this also. I felt like watching the terminator the other day and would you belive it both discs looked like they had condensation on them and were a little sticky (had not watched it in a while, its the special edition 2disc set i have). So chucked the damn things away.

I moved all my dvd discs from were they were being stored thinking they were being attacked by mold or something. Popped on the net to see if it was a problem with earlier dvd releases...looks like it could just be the terminator discs or plastic inlays at fault.

Got the discs back from the bin, what should i clean them with? See post 4 in this thread. :)