PDA

View Full Version : Problems with DI4001 stb`s ? (long)

Skaven
30-12-2003, 20:50
Hi all, wondered if anyone else has experienced the problems I have had with the original Pace Di4001 STb, with the built in modem and extra card slot on the front left of the box.

I am on the Langley platform (ex CabelTel). Over a year ago I had two of the above STB`s in the house and both were having blanking and picture juddering and sound dropout problems. At this time after many engineer call outs and replacement STb`s and engineers blaming the problem with the network, one engineer sujested I try the new Di4001NC model without the cable modem and RF output and stereo out jacks, he said Pace had removed allot of the components and he notied they seemed to him to be more robust.

So I was left with upstairs with the new box and dowstairs with the original. After a week the new box did not judder or blank at all, so I demanded another call out to get the other old box replaced which they did without question as they could not explain why the newer model was working fine where the old one was randomly freezing and juddering still. I then went the rest of the year without problems.

A few weeks ago the upstairs box was freezing a lot with the "StoP" error on front. As this is an internal error the engineer said caused by its memory not flushing properly, he replaced it with, yes your right, what seemed to be a reconditioned original Di4001 with cable modem but was different as the top lid had been redesigned with lots of holes cut out across the lid, I remembered my old boxes used to get hot and had started to discolour the viewing card. I didnt comment at the time as I though as they had redisgned the case they had addressed the heat issue with these boxes, the engineer also supplied a new viewing card with this box.

Well after an hour of use, all channels started to break up again sound poping and all channels became unwatchable, I swapped the boxes arround and the fault followed the box.

It got so bad a few days ago when plugging the box back in at would not lock onto a signal and gave me the 1014 error on screen (no services were found) I tried a few times upstairs and downstairs and the same thing. At this point I left it in this error state and left it plugged in with the error on screen . I came back to it 10 minutes later to find all channels were back, without me touching it and I havent seen a blankout or freeze or judder now for 4 hours !!

I have another eng booked for tommorow afternoon to request either a di4001NC or 4010 as I realy dont trust the reliability of the old boxes.

Also every engineer I have had over the years and including the last one two weeks ago report the signal strength is fine and all they do is eiether stip the wire and put on a new connector or replce the box :mad:

ntltech32
02-01-2004, 22:11
Hi all, wondered if anyone else has experienced the problems I have had with the original Pace Di4001 STb, with the built in modem and extra card slot on the front left of the box.

I am on the Langley platform (ex CabelTel). Over a year ago I had two of the above STB`s in the house and both were having blanking and picture juddering and sound dropout problems. At this time after many engineer call outs and replacement STb`s and engineers blaming the problem with the network, one engineer sujested I try the new Di4001NC model without the cable modem and RF output and stereo out jacks, he said Pace had removed allot of the components and he notied they seemed to him to be more robust.

So I was left with upstairs with the new box and dowstairs with the original. After a week the new box did not judder or blank at all, so I demanded another call out to get the other old box replaced which they did without question as they could not explain why the newer model was working fine where the old one was randomly freezing and juddering still. I then went the rest of the year without problems.

A few weeks ago the upstairs box was freezing a lot with the "StoP" error on front. As this is an internal error the engineer said caused by its memory not flushing properly, he replaced it with, yes your right, what seemed to be a reconditioned original Di4001 with cable modem but was different as the top lid had been redesigned with lots of holes cut out across the lid, I remembered my old boxes used to get hot and had started to discolour the viewing card. I didnt comment at the time as I though as they had redisgned the case they had addressed the heat issue with these boxes, the engineer also supplied a new viewing card with this box.

Well after an hour of use, all channels started to break up again sound poping and all channels became unwatchable, I swapped the boxes arround and the fault followed the box.

It got so bad a few days ago when plugging the box back in at would not lock onto a signal and gave me the 1014 error on screen (no services were found) I tried a few times upstairs and downstairs and the same thing. At this point I left it in this error state and left it plugged in with the error on screen . I came back to it 10 minutes later to find all channels were back, without me touching it and I havent seen a blankout or freeze or judder now for 4 hours !!

I have another eng booked for tommorow afternoon to request either a di4001NC or 4010 as I realy dont trust the reliability of the old boxes.

Also every engineer I have had over the years and including the last one two weeks ago report the signal strength is fine and all they do is eiether stip the wire and put on a new connector or replce the box :mad:

Sorry to hear of your troubles but as i very well know unless the signals are a problem or a faulty installed F connector then there is not alot we can do but swap the box out. We can't physically repair the box as they are sent to pace for screen and cleaning.

All boxes are either new or recons and have been tested. Although i may point out we do get a few faulty ones, This is not down to ntl but PACE.
The 4010 are much more reliable due to the fact they only have 1 tuner can in. amd not two such as the 4001. Which also have a serious problem with over heating.

Signals are rearly affected but again with weather conditions etc and the more people using the service in your area they do drop slightly. although that should not be too much to worry about. It just seems your one of the unlucky ones who has had a few faulty stb's.