PDA

View Full Version : Analogue Tv disconnection

Achelon
30-12-2003, 20:30
Hi,

I have an NTL analogue STB and no longer wish to watch cable tv since in my opinion it isnt worth it. I understand I phone them up, cancel service and they come round and collect the box.

The thing is, I have a tv card on my pc and its hooked up to the cable line so I can watch the free channels (BBC1,BBC2,ITV1,C4,FIVE,QVC) as I have no aerial socket in my computer room. My question is this, will they actually physically disconnect me? I want to be able to keep watching the free channels on my pc. (Im thinking they wont d/c me since I have a cable modem and that uses cable tv lines doesnt it?)

Thanks

Graham F
30-12-2003, 20:40
As far as I am aware you won't be able to recieve any channels at all. :shrug:

Achelon
30-12-2003, 20:58
The broadband connection I have uses the cable tv line doesnt it? how can they d/c tv without killing my BB?

Graham F
30-12-2003, 21:00
The same way that they can stop you getting the sports and the movies without you paying for them ;)

Foo Fighter
30-12-2003, 21:04
Aslong as you keep your broadband, your line will be active and you will get the FTA channels you posted above.

Achelon
30-12-2003, 21:05
The pay channels are not 'killed'. they are scrambled (sync supression maybe??). Anyway of course I cant tune to those stations on tv card, but i can to the free channels (which is like it should be). Would the actually d/c the cable and stop all the channels?

Achelon
30-12-2003, 21:08
Ah right, thanks Foo Fighter. Yay I was worried I'd have to keep paying just so I can get the FTA channels on my pc! I dont fancy putting in an aerial connection to roof!

ntltech32
30-12-2003, 21:21
Ah right, thanks Foo Fighter. Yay I was worried I'd have to keep paying just so I can get the FTA channels on my pc! I dont fancy putting in an aerial connection to roof!

if you are still subscribing for cable modem service then all the engineer if they even call lol to collect the analog box is take it from you, he cannot physically disconnect your drop cable from the dp, Green cab as you are subscribing to broadband.

You will be able to veiw all off airs (FTA) bbc1 bbc2 itv central four and five, in some cases yout tv card or tv can pick up mtv. qvc, discovery and disney if you are lucky.

so no need to worry, all they will do is kill the analog box by wiping it from your itc account thus the IRD number found underneath is withdrawn from the network and if you have a CFT-2100 box will display
your cable converter has been disconnected, please contact your cable operator. v5 quare ones just all goto ntl:home shopping channel.

hope this answers your question..

Achelon
30-12-2003, 23:40
Thanks for your reply ntltech32. So does that mean that normally ppl are disconnected at the cab? (presumably to reduce noise from ppls homes that arent being used anyway)

ntltech32
31-12-2003, 11:32
Thanks for your reply ntltech32. So does that mean that normally ppl are disconnected at the cab? (presumably to reduce noise from ppls homes that arent being used anyway)

in most cases yes, to stop unwanted snr ingress and also illegal use, how ever your case is different as you still use the CATV line for broadband connection.