PDA

View Full Version : Hummers

Jerrek
30-12-2003, 05:16
Do you guys have Hummers over there?

Hummers... I'd love to have one. Nothing says "**** off" quite like a Hummer. I mean, look at them!

- $105,000 and up
- 6.5L V8 engine, 195 hp
- 4 speed automatic transmission
- 8 miles per gallon

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c440970a.jpg

Download Failed (1)

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c440969a.jpg

Xaccers
30-12-2003, 05:47
Nothing says ugly quite like a hummer, oh wait, there's the hummer 2 :P

Have you seen european cars? They're built to seat only two people up front not ten, so aren't wide enough to fit a horse in like your american cars are. Hence our roads are of a matching width.

Jeremy Clarkson did try and take one through a village just to prove a point and managed to get it stuck down a street.

And have you seen how expensive our fuel is? Hummers do something like 8 miles to a gallon! (I get about 45 miles to a gal, imperial gal that is)

If someone wants a 4x4 to show they have money, they go for a Range Rover.

You can get hummers over here, but very few people have such bad taste (which is strange because in america I think they fit and so would be good taste to have one if you get what I mean)
They just don't "fit" over here.

Here's a bizarre analogy:

An ahmish person amongst 70's disco divas. He just doesn't fit. But amongst other ahmish, he fits perfectly. Dig?

As for automatic? Far too complicated for me, give me a nice simple clutch and gearstick thank you very much.

th'engineer
30-12-2003, 07:37

Ye we have quite a lot over here cadallacs etc link (http://www.bauer-millett.com/html/user/stock4x4NEW.htm)

Pritch
30-12-2003, 08:32

Nope. In the UK, we actually have to pay for petrol.

Tricky
30-12-2003, 08:38
Nope. In the UK, we actually have to pay for petrol.

Or at least we pay taxes which comes with a tiny bit of added petrol. :rofl:

Theodoric
30-12-2003, 16:12

Yes, mainly on the Morecombe and Wise show where Eric would say, "You hum it, I'll play it." :)

Nor
30-12-2003, 16:21
The laugh is the UK is a net exporter of oil whereas the US is a net importer and ours is massively more expensive than the US :)

neel2k
30-12-2003, 16:50
There's a Tax loophone in America when you can deduct the amount you paid for a new hummer from how much tax you pay. So if you pay enough tax you basicaly get the hummer for free.
Linkage (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A1861-2003Sep25)

Russ
30-12-2003, 17:15
That has to be one of the ugliest looking things on the road, the middle picture makes it look like one of those old Royal Mail vans. The interior looks quite nice but I can't see that ever being popular over here.

Bifta
30-12-2003, 17:45
I'm sure I remember seeing a Top Gear where they slated the Hummer. You have to bear in mind though American's (and Canadians) have to have big cars, perhaps it's to compensate for lack of size in other area's. A 'car' like this falls firmly into the category of pointless and unneccesary.

Graham
30-12-2003, 17:51

Yes, I've just added them to my product range.

(Oh, sorry, different sort of hummer!!)

Atomic22
30-12-2003, 17:52
yeh bcsd springs to mind.......
mitsubishi warrior kicks its butt in every way

Jerrek
30-12-2003, 18:35

You GIVE hummers? :D :D :naughty: :naughty:

swoop101
30-12-2003, 18:52

You trying to get Kink going again? :rolleyes: :naughty: :rofl:

Xaccers
31-12-2003, 00:04
That has to be one of the ugliest looking things on the road, the middle picture makes it look like one of those old Royal Mail vans. The interior looks quite nice but I can't see that ever being popular over here.

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c441548a.jpg

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat...

danielf
31-12-2003, 00:11
8 miles to the gallon...

I just saw a news item on the Beeb. If one family were to give up the 4 wheel drive for a 'normal car' the benefit to the environment would equal one family recycling glass bottles for 400 years...

I am by no means a 'tree hugger', but 8 miles to the gallon seems a little over the top...

Mal
31-12-2003, 00:17
I saw on the other day in Manchester and it looked like a Tonka toy, in yellow.

At 8 mile to the gallon, you'd have to be stupidily rich person to have one.

Xaccers
31-12-2003, 00:20
Is that 8 miles to a US gallon or an Imperial gallon?

keithwalton
31-12-2003, 00:23
I seem to remember the story of the road going hummer goes somthing like this.

The hummer was developed as a military vehicle and its width is due to its wheelbase which is the same width as that of tanks the americans typically use, so it can follow along behind a tank nicely carrying troops etc.

It did this job well and was quite sucessfull, then some rich / famous yank (music ind i think) of some sort saw it on tv and wanted one of them. So they built them a road legal one. then because one person had one everyone else wanted them. the H1 was then born and sold to people with more money than sense.

They claimed it to be a great off roader and such which it wasnt really its shear weight made it rather clumbersome and its long wheelbase meant it was easily grounded.

Due to its steep price tag not many people were buying them the makers then decided to maker a cheaper alternative, herein comes the H2. which unlike the H1 isnt based on the miltary vehicle but intsead a large people carrier !

I agree with you lot on just how ugly it is. it's well horrid. the question also has to be asked if its so good off road why doesnt anyone compete in one, eg paris - dakar rally, or the camel trophy thing.

gimmie a landy anyday :-) pref a mint mk1 :-) grossly overengineered but what other car can push a 30tonn lorry ?

K

Edit just looked its stats up on its site, its wheel base is 130" yet has a ground clearence of just 16" for the h1 and 122" and 10" for the h2 respectively

Graham
31-12-2003, 02:42
You GIVE hummers? :D :D :naughty: :naughty:

Different sort of hummer again, I'm afraid!

Graham
31-12-2003, 02:45
I saw on the other day in Manchester and it looked like a Tonka toy, in yellow.

There used to be a pickup truck that I'd occasionally see driving around Portsmouth.

It had been customised with extended exhaust pipes etc, but the best part was where the name TOYOTA on the back of the flat bed had been replaced by....

... TONKA!

Jerrek
31-12-2003, 05:58
Is that 8 miles to a US gallon or an Imperial gallon?
Normal gallons. The kind that equals 3.81 liters.

Yes, 8 miles per gallon is a little bad. Even at a price of 20 pence a liter (gas in the U.S.), it is still pushing it.

Xaccers
31-12-2003, 06:57
Normal gallons are 4.5456 Ltrs (ie Imperial big boy gallons and not your measly little US gallons)

As for your fuel prices, grrrr :P
Actually from what I've heard your diesel is naff so you can keep it.

Atomic22
01-01-2004, 17:46
I agree with you lot on just how ugly it is. it's well horrid. the question also has to be asked if its so good off road why doesnt anyone compete in one, eg paris - dakar rally, or the camel trophy thing.
they compete every year in the paris - dakar........
they just never finish.....