PDA

View Full Version : Active Skin Error - what's that?

caveman
01-07-2003, 12:50
I've created myself a problem, I do not know how.
When I try to play an Audio CD in either CD's, I get a prompt Error saying "Active Skin Error" - wmmp Module encountered a problem. The inf. supplied error signature wmmp.exe, I find that file and one other in windows\prefetch folder. I have tried system restore to 2 days ago but same problem comes up. Anyone got any ideas, please

swoop101
01-07-2003, 13:09
did it give you a code number?
If it did look HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fsupport%2fmediaplayer%2fwmper %2fwmperrcode_main.asp)
if not what version of Wmp are you using?

caveman
01-07-2003, 13:50
Well it turns out to be 2 Cd's out of 4 that I got this morning. I have never had this problem before, I even went as far as trying a dozen of the ones i had put on the MP library. They run fine as do 2 of the $ I got today. The other 2 for whatever reason show the Active Skins prompt when they try to launch Media Player. When yo look at the files in explorer no tracks are shown anly autorun, skins and one other (?). Have you had Cd@ that wont launch MP? I'm off to try a machine running W98 to see what happens, as I run XP

darkangel
01-07-2003, 14:07
Originally posted by caveman
Well it turns out to be 2 Cd's out of 4 that I got this morning. I have never had this problem before, I even went as far as trying a dozen of the ones i had put on the MP library. They run fine as do 2 of the $ I got today. The other 2 for whatever reason show the Active Skins prompt when they try to launch Media Player. When yo look at the files in explorer no tracks are shown anly autorun, skins and one other (?). Have you had Cd@ that wont launch MP? I'm off to try a machine running W98 to see what happens, as I run XP what cd is it?

swoop101
01-07-2003, 14:09
It may be one of the protected CD's that are a pain in the bum.

Try and play them using winamp instead.

darkangel
01-07-2003, 14:20
Originally posted by swoop101
It may be one of the protected CD's that are a pain in the bum.

Try and play them using winamp instead. just what i was thinking there's a list somwhere so if we know what the cd is we can tell im

swoop101
01-07-2003, 15:08
I just hope he doesn't say he is using Wmp9:eek:

If he is then he might have problems, it is an absolute nightmare when it decides that you are not playing what you want to play.:grind:

caveman
01-07-2003, 15:19
I'm afraid I am using MP9 and you are right they are new Cd,s not meant to play within windows. But on a friends machine a playing software is launched within the CD to enable you to play the CD on a PC, but not allowing you to record it. The problem is that software does not launch on mine, I just get the Active Skins Error message ( why I don't know)
The CD's BTW are (don't laugh) Robbie Williams - Escapology and Toni Braxton - More Than a Woman. They are the only ones I have had a problem with, ironically both today.

swoop101
01-07-2003, 16:40
Right then.

Get Winamp from HERE (http://www.winamp.com/)

and see if you can play them in that.

Close Wmp when that starts and open winamp and try and play them.

You might be able to listen to them then.
As for copying them *cough* have a look for assistance on the net.:naughty: :naughty: I can't tell you on here:rolleyes:

darkangel
01-07-2003, 17:59
Originally posted by caveman
I'm afraid I am using MP9 and you are right they are new Cd,s not meant to play within windows. But on a friends machine a playing software is launched within the CD to enable you to play the CD on a PC, but not allowing you to record it. The problem is that software does not launch on mine, I just get the Active Skins Error message ( why I don't know)
The CD's BTW are (don't laugh) Robbie Williams - Escapology and Toni Braxton - More Than a Woman. They are the only ones I have had a problem with, ironically both today.
best thing to do is use wmp 6.4 it's located inside the wmp folder, both of those cd's are copy protected, check to see if it has the logo on the case

caveman
01-07-2003, 21:31
I meant to copy my "own" CD on my "own" Media Player. I wouldn't dream of doing anything else.

caveman
01-07-2003, 21:39
The advice to play the Cd's on the aewrlier version of Mp from the MP folder does not work. When asked to open file, I go to the CD drive and the only visible file is the one to launch it's own mii player. Which I repeat is the one that will not launch on my machine. Why would I get the prompt "Active Skin Error". What it is saying is that it cannot launch the dedicated mini player software from within the CD. Why do you think that is, what could be missing or corrupted on my PC. I have seen it launch on another PC running XP.

swoop101
01-07-2003, 22:39
I think it is the DRM (digital rights management) part of wmp9 and the copy protection on the cd that is combining to cause this prob.:(

you could - erm - get a copy from one of the p2p sites and just explain that the overpowering dictators in the music industry are preventing you from listening to your legaly bought copies of said CD's on the medium of your choice.:rolleyes: