PDA

View Full Version : Default notice from NTL

Bifta
29-12-2003, 12:13
For some reason I have a default notice on my credit report from NTL from 2001, an account that was cancelled and paid up to date and certainly never in arrears, they did however continue to charge me after the cancellation date but that was apparently all sorted out and I ended up in credit and received a check from NTL for the outstanding amount. Anyone got any advice on how to remove this as the person I'm currently speaking to at NTL is (for want of a better description) completely retarded.

Russ
29-12-2003, 12:20
I understand it needs to go through Equifax, they have the power to order NTL to act. The procedure may have since changed but when I was there, that's how it was done.

Stuartbe
29-12-2003, 12:22
You need to write to experion or eqifax (there are a few) and copy NTL in. I also recomend you check the infoe section on www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties There is a number you can call (action desk) they will give you all the needed info

HTH

Bifta
29-12-2003, 12:24
Thanks, I've raised a dispute thingy with equifax, I'd applied for a new credit card just before christmas and was a big confused when I turned down, which is why I ordered a credit report from equifax .. imagine my surprise when I find NTL had totally f*cked up my credit history for me.

Russ
29-12-2003, 12:26
I don't think you need me to tell you this but if NTL have cocked up, you're well within your rights to seek compensation from them.....

paulyoung666
29-12-2003, 12:32
Thanks, I've raised a dispute thingy with equifax, I'd applied for a new credit card just before christmas and was a big confused when I turned down, which is why I ordered a credit report from equifax .. imagine my surprise when I find NTL had totally f*cked up my credit history for me.

nail em to the wall , its the least they deserve :mad: :mad: :mad:

i had a problem similar to this with ntl , they argued black was white for a while and then finally admitted they were wrong , took some doing but i got there in the end , keep on at em you will get there eventually :tu:

Bifta
29-12-2003, 12:33
I don't think you need me to tell you this but if NTL have cocked up, you're well within your rights to seek compensation from them.....

That's all very well but the woman I was speaking to (it turns out) has no idea what she is doing and kept putting me through to a number that constantly goes dead. Any idea who I could get my solicitor to write to? (preferably someone with a bit of authority)

edit: Just to add to this, they've spelt my first name wrong too ...

paulyoung666
29-12-2003, 12:35
That's all very well but the woman I was speaking to (it turns out) has no idea what she is doing and kept putting me through to a number that constantly goes dead. Any idea who I could get my solicitor to write to? (preferably someone with a bit of authority)

what about http://www.ofcom.org.uk/ , have a look through there site :)

Russ
29-12-2003, 12:36
One of these (http://www.ntli.info/index.php?page=index_v2&id=19&c=18) guys should be able to help :)

I've personally dealt with Alan Grant in the past and found him to be extremely helpful even with matters which wouldn't normally come under his authority.

Bifta
29-12-2003, 13:04
One of these (http://www.ntli.info/index.php?page=index_v2&id=19&c=18) guys should be able to help :)

I've personally dealt with Alan Grant in the past and found him to be extremely helpful even with matters which wouldn't normally come under his authority.

I've sent a copy to Aizad Hussain, Simon Duffy and my solicitor. Equifax will also do their bit presumably. I'm not really one for claiming compensation but considering they've put me in a financially embarrasing position I think I'll push for everything I can get.

Thanks for all your help (everyone)

paulyoung666
29-12-2003, 13:08
I've sent a copy to Aizad Hussain, Simon Duffy and my solicitor. Equifax will also do their bit presumably. I'm not really one for claiming compensation but considering they've put me in a financially embarrasing position I think I'll push for everything I can get.

Thanks for all your help (everyone)

hope everything goes ok :)

Bifta
05-01-2004, 11:22
ok, bit of an update, I think I've spoken to at least 6 people in the last week in various depts who claim that the account is so old they can't find the information they need .. correct me if I'm wrong but aren't companies supposed to keep a record of accounts for 6 years legally? Anyhow, one thing I did notice is that they haven't even spelt my name correctly on the default notice ... I guess I'll have to wait for Equifax to contact them, when it get's resolved I'll take legal action.

Bifta
15-01-2004, 13:13
I've just spoken to Equifax again .. because NTL didn't bother their arse replying to them within the set time period (hardly a surprise) they've removed the default notice from my credit report. I'm seeing a solicitor tomorrow morning to see if I can claim anything against them, they've had plenty of notice, nearly 10 phone calls and an email every single day but just haven't bothered. Wish me luck!

Sociable
15-01-2004, 13:19
Happy to wish you "Good Luck" Bifta we will all keep fingers toes n even eyes crossed for you on this one.

Way to go in showing that it is possible to get credit reports corrected as far too many just let the companies get away with errors like this. Reps on the way for a not just helpfull but also inspiring example. :)

Bifta
15-01-2004, 13:27
Happy to wish you "Good Luck" Bifta we will all keep fingers toes n even eyes crossed for you on this one.

Way to go in showing that it is possible to get credit reports corrected as far too many just let the companies get away with errors like this. Reps on the way for a not just helpfull but also inspiring example. :)

It's not so much the fact that they recorded a default notice for an account that was cancelled both in writing and verbally on the telephone which they carried on billing for all the while promising to reverse the charges they'd added, it's the fact that despite my call to them when this thing turned up they told me not to worry about it, also that I've been turned down by two mortgage lenders and a car finance company because of it, Equifax were very helpful, they gave NTL 14 day's to respond and automatically removed the default when they didn't bother. I recommend people getting hold of their credit reports, most interesting reading, you find out all sorts about family members and their credit history.

http://www.equifax.co.uk - £8.25 for an online report
http://www.experian.co.uk - £2.00 (I think) for a posted report
http://www.checkmyfile.com - nearly £30 for an online report, but the report is very detailed and covers everyone financially linked at addresses you've lived at right back to day dot.

Jason1
16-01-2004, 21:09
Done the same to me for 24 months even though I paid by dd on time every time. Billings is not ntlââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s strong point call c/s and ask them to contact all the applicable credit reference agencyââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s to advise them of their billing errorââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s. Providing ntl fax or email any of these stating it was a billing error on their part the credit reference agency will rectify you file immediately and will email ntl on request to confirm this has been done who can in turn forward a copy of the email to you. They should also compensate you as well I have just received a cheque for £295 as a out of court settlement & 600k broadband free for 12 months after ntl received a court summons on aizad hussains desk