PDA

View Full Version : DNS Problems?

distortal
30-06-2003, 13:48
Registered a couple of .com's last week with 123-Reg, and I've been trying since then to get the nameservers changed.

When I enter the two servers, they are accepted, but they're listed in reverse order in the WHOIS and the domains are note accessible. Prior to that I got the message 'ns.blah may not exist' when I know it does.

123-Reg said:

Verisign have had major problems over the past week which has affected
.com/.net/.org domains, especially nameservers. I suggest you make the
nameserver changes again from your control panel and place your primary
nameserver in box 1 and the secondary nameservers in box 2 (the listing
on the whois won't matter as long as you have placed them in the correct
boxes).

Best Wishes,

Alan Whitehead
123-reg Services
www.123-reg.co.uk

Has anyone else had problems? My customer is going to be getting seriously p*ssed if we can't get his website and email going!

cjll3
30-06-2003, 13:57
123-reg always seems to list the DNS servers in the wrong order. Like he says, enter them in the other way round, problem solved ;)

El Diablo
30-06-2003, 16:45
Hmmm... have registered various domains within .com / .net in the past week or so without any issues at all... I've even found the verisign account management interface to be suprisingly bug free and very useful... which makes a change... anything that they can do to prevent me being put on hold for 40 minutes before being answered by someone who can only read set scripts and not actually converse / discuss / understand an issue is a big bonus in my book!!

Any clues as to the domain / nservers you're having problems with??

distortal
02-07-2003, 10:01
Well the primary nameserver is our own RaQ550 co-located through Easily, it's behaved impeccably up until this point. I'm going to have to email Easily to see if there's a problem at their end as I sometimes receive the waning that *our* nameserver 'may not exist'. All other sites on that server are working fine, and these two new ones have been set up as usual.

It doesn't seem to matter which order I enter the nameservers through 123-Reg's control panel, ns.secondarynameserver.com appears in the list first and not our own, and the sites remain inaccessable. Am I correct in assuming that the primary server backs it's entries up to the secondary server? This would explain why the site isn't working - there would be no DNS entries for it to back up from ns2.secondarynamserver.com as I hadn't put any on there.

distortal
02-07-2003, 10:22
Whoops! heheh. Seems I didn't have our nameserver in our own DNS list. Strange, but it's been working anyway. That should take care of the warnings.

I've added it, and tried setting the primary nameserver to another nameserver entry (which was in the DNS list, so there was no warning) but they're still coming out in reverse order. Dang.

El Diablo
02-07-2003, 10:30
Originally posted by distortal
Am I correct in assuming that the primary server backs it's entries up to the secondary server? This would explain why the site isn't working - there would be no DNS entries for it to back up from ns2.secondarynamserver.com as I hadn't put any on there. This would depend upon your configs for both boxes... You would need to ensure that you have the appropriate SOA records in place, along with the NS records which should reference both the primary and secondary nameservers against the delegated domain. It is possible to configure the secondary NS to pull zone files from the primary on a regular basis so that you need only keep the primary updated, but this again would depend upon how it's set up for you. Have you got everything set up in the primary NS okay? Could take a closer look if you wanted to PM the domain :D Even if ns2.secondarynameserver.com. is listed as the primary, the DNS should query the 'secondary' (ie your primary) if a response cannot be got from the primary... errr... this gets confusing! :confused: It shouldn't matter which order the nameservers appear in the WHOIS, primary nameserver status is obtained from the actual zone files listed for the ccSLD / gTLD - and confirmed by your own SOAs

:D

distortal
02-07-2003, 16:57
Gotcha, I think :)

Our SOA is all set up exactly the same as every other site on the box, so no problem there. The RaQ550 is also supposedly able to handle a couple of hundred sites and we're nowhere near that limit, so no problem there.

It's mighty confusing. I think I'll have a mooch around the server just in case there's something I've missed.

Edit: Well I'll be f... blowed. On a hunch I restarted the server to see if there was anything that would do and.. both sites popped up straight away. It was almost as if our DNS entries hadn't been applied, even though I'd clicked the button that does just that.

Crap. I can't even blame Windows this time. :dunce:

El Diablo
02-07-2003, 18:55
Originally posted by distortal
Edit: Well I'll be f... blowed. On a hunch I restarted the server to see if there was anything that would do and.. both sites popped up straight away. It was almost as if our DNS entries hadn't been applied, even though I'd clicked the button that does just that.

Crap. I can't even blame Windows this time. :dunce:

YAY! :devsmoke:

Glad to hear it's all sorted now :D