PDA

View Full Version : Puppy/carpet help

CaKe
20-12-2003, 00:27
These forums (fora? latin GCSE taught me nothing ;)) consist of a wide variety of people - surely someone must have experience of a puppy chewing stuff every time the owners leave the house? :(

I'm begging for advice/help - we've just gone out to do the remainder of the Chrimbo food shopping and left our 6 month old labrador in the spare room, with the light & music on, all of her chew toys (she's teething) and her bed - only the little darling has chewed the carpet by the door :(

So, firstly - any advice on how to stop her chewing when we're out? Short of sticking her in a crate every time we go out (I don't have a crate at the moment, she was an absolute delight to toilet train), I have no idea how to stop her - she's more than content with her toys when we're here, and doesn't show any interest in the furniture or carpet, but as soon as we go out it's obviously a different matter (I'm down this piece of carpet, a driving licence, a driver CD...)

Secondly, any ideas on how to fix this piece of carpet temporarily? It's quite small really, about 6" by 4" and I have leftovers of carpet from when it was fitted...but I'm useless & have no idea how to fix it down without it fraying etc :dunce:

Any ideas would be very much appreciated :)

Carly :)

Chimaera
20-12-2003, 00:36
Well - I dunno what to do about the frayed carpet sadly.

But when my puppy was teething and chewing anything not nailed down I was told to get a 'Kong' toy from the petshop and put some dog biscuits inside. The dog then spends all its time trying to get the food out from the toy - well it worked for her.
Failing that the petshops also sell marrowbones - yes I know they are disgusting - but they also worked a treat.
My vet also suggested a muzzle - but i never needed to do that, and it seemed a bit drastic to me.
Good luck!

CaKe
20-12-2003, 00:41
She has those! Well, not quite the same - she has an indestructible rubber bone, and a molecule ball (or something like that) that has dog biccies inside; she's had the treats from the ball, and the toys have been played with :confused:

I really don't want to muzzle her, poor love is teething and chews for relief :(

Thanks - think if there's a next time she's left for more than 10 minutes I'll have to stock up on bones, and chews etc ;)

Stuart
20-12-2003, 00:56
We found that a combination of shoes made of the stuff that chews are made of (from PetSmart I think) and small, squeeky rubber dumbells (I kid you not) helped stop our Westie puppy chewing the furniture/carpets/shoes etc. Also, have you tried talking to the owner of a local pet shop for advice? They might be able to suggest something.

Although the chews did (and still do) cause fights between the Westie and our Yorkie..

Don't know about the carpet though.

Sociable
20-12-2003, 01:12
Good advice already on the puppy so will stick to the carpet. :)

What you need is some strong canvass to use as a backing across the join with both parts of the carpet glued to it using an appropriate glue.

You should be able to find both in any good D.I.Y store as this type of repair is as common as puppies. LOL

BTW If it's any consolation I used to breed alsatians and you would not believe the damge 14 pups can inflict on a home in the ten mins it takes to go post a letter. :)

NtlRebelReborn
20-12-2003, 02:01
Well when my staff was teething he chewed the plaster off the wall....... How mad is that. :p

Xaccers
20-12-2003, 03:53
go to your pet store and buy some pigs ears or bull cocks.