PDA

View Full Version : How will this affect NTL?

poolking
18-12-2003, 18:34
According to silicon.com an IBM led consortium which NTL is part of has failed in its bid for a £4bn contract for the MoD. How will this affect NTL?

http://www.silicon.com/0,39024729,39117403,00.htm?nl=d20031218

rodd
18-12-2003, 19:05
I think it must reflect on the consortium's competence and to an extent also ntl’s, which is part of the consortium.

There were four consortiums, and the other three went forward to the next stage. Be interesting to know why they were knocked out.

Defiant
18-12-2003, 19:15
NTL was part of the consortium there's the problem full stop lol

Fawkes
18-12-2003, 19:22
NTL was part of the consortium there's the problem full stop lol

Knowing the way the MoD thinks my guess would be that they were the most expensive of the four.

Defiant
18-12-2003, 19:31
And if any of them have NTL they know what to expect

Gogogo
18-12-2003, 19:42
There must be some very sensible people at the M.O.D. any involvement by NTL in our national defence would probably mean we'd have no defence at all. NTL are a complete telecommunications disaster.

Well done M.O.D.

Derek
18-12-2003, 19:55
Well reasoned and thought out responses there I see.

paulyoung666
18-12-2003, 20:32

me was thinking much the same , oh hello lets **** ntl off for the hell of it :(

Gogogo
18-12-2003, 20:37

Yes, it's always possible some M.O.D. staff have ntlworld e-mail accounts and have themselves seen the level of service provided by NTL. Had the deal gone through perhaps the M.O.D. would have become the first government department to affiliate to nthellwold.co.uk who knows?

themelon
18-12-2003, 20:39
NTL are a complete telecommunications disaster.

Not Strictly true ntl broadcasting division is the only reason we can have television accross most of the country with the large number of transmitters and uplinks they maintain.

I Suspect the M.O.D is going for something on the cheap in true government style, they will probably export the jobs to India or somewhere.

th'engineer
18-12-2003, 21:54
Bids come and go with MOD should not think it will have an effect on any of the companies involved

quadplay
18-12-2003, 23:06
Yes, it's always possible some M.O.D. staff have ntlworld e-mail accounts and have themselves seen the level of service provided by NTL. Had the deal gone through perhaps the M.O.D. would have become the first government department to affiliate to nthellwold.co.uk who knows?

Somehow, I don't think the MoD would be using ntl:home... :rolleyes: I certainly hope not, anyway! I know they like things on the cheap, but there are limits!

Defiant
18-12-2003, 23:09
Somehow, I don't think the MoD would be using ntl:home... :rolleyes: I certainly hope not, anyway! I know they like things on the cheap, but there are limits!

Hey now come on since when has NTL been cheap. You going back in time or something

asdf
18-12-2003, 23:09
Ummm, all of ntl home isn't as bad as ntl:home. NTL do a lot of work for the emergency services, broadcasting for pretty much the entire UK's terrestrial and radio.

They must be doing something right :)

I imagine this ruling has something to do with cost.

Womble
19-12-2003, 00:52
or maybe, just maybe its not ntl that are the problem (sorry all the ntl haters and knockers out there!) IBM have terrible reputation. They are also very expensive

Lord Nikon
19-12-2003, 06:09
More likely the MOD wanted upwards of 2Mbit and Aizad Hussein tried telling them that they didn't

Pierre
19-12-2003, 10:17
No matter who wins, perhaps with the exception of BT, ntl will pick up some business from it. No one (other than BT) has a more extensive network that ntl. (and even though BT is extensive a lot of it is not up to scratch).

ntl will no doubt lease fibre capacity to some of the sites on sub-contract to the eventual winner.

Besides, sometimes it's good not to win. You only have to look back to the 3G licence auction. If ntl/France Telecom had won that ntl would have been out of business a long time ago.

Stuart
19-12-2003, 10:53
A couple of things:
1) NTL home and NTL business are two seperate companies. Generally, the links through NTL business are fairly reliable and any problems are sorted out within a couple of hours. It is unlikely NTL home would be involved in this bid.

2) One of the bids that succeeded includes a company called "EDS". Anyone who reads "Private Eye" will know this company has an interesting history and, at times, can make NTL home look efficient.

3) In my experience (and I have worked on bids for contracts), government contracts tend to be awarded to whoever meets the minimum criteria for the lowest price. They take little (if anything) else in to account.

Edit: My awful spelling...

huxleypiguk
19-12-2003, 12:45
ntl: look after a lot of Government base stuff already, Police, Fire, Ambulance and Coastguard as well as system for the RNLI. They are very successful and their customers are happy with them.

You will probably find however that they have no MOD background, and there will be a requirement for all companies to be AQAP complient (Allience Quality Assurance Proceedures) which I would be suprised to find that ntl: is.

Frank
19-12-2003, 12:59
ntl: look after a lot of Government base stuff already, Police, Fire, Ambulance and Coastguard as well as system for the RNLI. They are very successful and their customers are happy with them. Well ntl business, broadcast and networks may well have many happy customers, but we don't refer to these divisions where we talk about ntl on this site. We are concerned purely with ntl:home. I'd be the first person to stand up and say I've never heard of any problems with services supplied by ntl business, broadcast or networks. The same cannot be said for ntl home...

Stuart
19-12-2003, 13:03
Well ntl business, broadcast and networks may well have many happy customers, but we don't refer to these divisions where we talk about ntl on this site. We are concerned purely with ntl:home. I'd be the first person to stand up and say I've never heard of any problems with services supplied by ntl business, broadcast or networks. The same cannot be said for ntl home...
Fair enough, but I doubt that it was NTL:Home that was bidding,

rodd
19-12-2003, 13:37
I'd be the first person to stand up and say I've never heard of any problems with services supplied by ntl business, broadcast or networks. The same cannot be said for ntl home...
Businesses having a bigger punch than 'home' customers and no doubt receiving more effort by ntl to give good service.

asdf
19-12-2003, 22:34
but we don't refer to these divisions where we talk about ntl on this site. We are concerned purely with ntl:home.

True, we only refer to home. EXCEPT that this topic is about ntl: business/broadcast not ntl:home. Or should we avoid the thread as it's not about home?

th'engineer
19-12-2003, 22:41
ntl: look after a lot of Government base stuff already, Police, Fire, Ambulance and Coastguard as well as system for the RNLI. They are very successful and their customers are happy with them.

You will probably find however that they have no MOD background, and there will be a requirement for all companies to be AQAP complient (Allience Quality Assurance Proceedures) which I would be suprised to find that ntl: is.
That would imply Quality with NTL UK MOD require Def standards

Frank
19-12-2003, 23:56
True, we only refer to home. EXCEPT that this topic is about ntl: business/broadcast not ntl:home. Or should we avoid the thread as it's not about home?Nah not at all. I was purely pointing out that there are three other divisions and there is no reason to believe they suffer from the same failures. Feel free to discuss.

Stuart
20-12-2003, 00:38
Businesses having a bigger punch than 'home' customers and no doubt receiving more effort by ntl to give good service.
If memory serves, businesses pay NTL a lot more as well..

poolking
20-12-2003, 11:37
What my original intention for this thread is how it would affect ntl as a whole, I am aware of the other divisions. :)

asdf
20-12-2003, 19:53
Okies, well, I don't think it will affect ntl as a whole.

huxleypiguk
23-12-2003, 08:04
More likely the MOD wanted upwards of 2Mbit and Aizad Hussein tried telling them that they didn't

Humour, don't you just love it........

Actually ntl: will offer you STM-1s if you want them, thats 155mb in one hit, for dedicated Internet Access. I know one company that has two and is very happy with them.

Pierre
23-12-2003, 13:58
Well ntl business, broadcast and networks may well have many happy customers, but we don't refer to these divisions where we talk about ntl on this site. We are concerned purely with ntl:home. I'd be the first person to stand up and say I've never heard of any problems with services supplied by ntl business, broadcast or networks. The same cannot be said for ntl home...

You forget that all your problems with ntl:Home broadband services etc is actually ntl:Networks responsibility. It they who are supposed to provide the capacity. So next time you get cut off remember it is probably ntl:Networks fault not ntl:Homes.

orangebird
23-12-2003, 14:21
It won't affect ntl much at all - ntl win and lose bids for contracts all year through. :) Win more often than not though, I'm happy to say.