PDA

View Full Version : Turkey, Pork and Dog

Salu
17-12-2003, 10:59
It struck me that social conformity is particularly strong when it comes to food.

For example it's very acceptable to eat Turkey, especially at Christmas. Perfectly OK to eat Chicken, Lamb or Duck (vegetarians excepted) but when it comes to other animals....it's thought of as repulsive or sick? :sick:

Can you imagine your grandma serving up roast Alsasian or BBQ'd Terrier? There would be a fuss surely. Unless you are in the far East of course? What about deep fried Squirrel or Marinated Rat legs in Mustard Sauce? Yum. :Yikes:

The same disregard is given when you are cooking, say, a chicken. As you probably didn't kill it, it becomes this inert peice of meat that you feel is clinically clean and the only thing stopping it's palatability is a couple of hours in the oven. You don't think of it in the same light as a rabbit that has just been run over do you? But it is still a dead animal/bird....

I don't want this thread to get into a "Should we killl animals for food" thread but merely wanted to explore the social acceptance of differing types of animals...

:scratch:

Any thoughts?

paulyoung666
17-12-2003, 11:08
its got to be a culture tradition sort of thing hasnt it :spin: , or maybe personal preference , i wouldnt eat a rabbit because i see them as a pet but would eat a chicken as i dont see them as one , however if someone else thought the opposite then that would be acceptable to them , i think :shrug:

Bifta
17-12-2003, 11:36
Rabbit is nice if cooked properly, I hear dog and cat are equally tasty, I dislike having animals as pet's so in a casserole is the next best thing for them.

Salu
17-12-2003, 12:57
its got to be a culture tradition sort of thing hasnt it :spin: , or maybe personal preference , i wouldnt eat a rabbit because i see them as a pet but would eat a chicken as i dont see them as one , however if someone else thought the opposite then that would be acceptable to them , i think :shrug:

How would you feel about eating a squirrel then? They aren't pets..

paulyoung666
17-12-2003, 13:04
How would you feel about eating a squirrel then? They aren't pets..

how do you know i aint got a pet squirrel ??????????????

Salu
17-12-2003, 13:05
Cos that would be nuts

paulyoung666
17-12-2003, 13:07
Cos that would be nuts

pmsl :p :p :p :p :p

basa
17-12-2003, 13:29
Personally as a dog and cat owner I find myself feeling rather hypocritical that I have no qualms about eating pork or chicken etc (even rabbit or squirrel) but would flinch at cats or dogs ! :blush:

But how far does one go ? Would you eat say .. monkey ?? Or gorilla ?

Could it be stretched to cannibalism ?? No ?? Why ??

Anyone for braised Huntley ?? :Yikes:

luftys
17-12-2003, 14:59
And wat wrong with Road Kill,you might find a nice deer or hedgehog :disturbd: and you cant beat a nice slice of Donkey

Ramrod
17-12-2003, 15:12
And wat wrong with Road Kill,you might find a nice deer or hedgehog :disturbd:
My uncle was driving home (in Norfolk) and saw a pheasant dead in the road. Being a practical sort of man he stops, checks that it's fresh roadkill and puts it in the car between his legs on the rubber foot mat. A few miles further on the pheasant turns out not to be dead when it pops it's head up between his legs to see whats going on! Then all hell breaks loose as it decides it doesn't want to be in the foot well or indeed the car. He is trying to kill it by stepping on it's neck whilst driving the car at the same time. Unfortunately (for him) he is wearing wellington boots and so finds he cannot get the necessary force applied to the birds neck. :D
(he had to stop the car and do the job properly)

Salu
17-12-2003, 17:28
Poached Poodle has a certain flair about it.....

Salu
17-12-2003, 17:40
z

Shaun
17-12-2003, 18:48
My grandparents have two rabbits as pets and they are just waiting for them to be of the right age to put in the pot!! YUMMY

paulyoung666
17-12-2003, 18:58
My grandparents have two rabbits as pets and they are just waiting for them to be of the right age to put in the pot!! YUMMY

they are gonna eat their pets :geez:

Shaun
17-12-2003, 19:33
they are gonna eat their pets :geez:

Thats the only reason they had them, and when they eat those two they'll buy another pair form the market. My Granddad is considering having a some chickens (to eat) and a couple of bantams (for the eggs). Nothing like home reared meat.

paulyoung666
17-12-2003, 20:04
Thats the only reason they had them, and when they eat those two they'll buy another pair form the market. My Granddad is considering having a some chickens (to eat) and a couple of bantams (for the eggs). Nothing like home reared meat.

but isnt it a bit :sick: to eat something that you would consider to be your pet ????????????????????

Shaun
17-12-2003, 20:08
but isnt it a bit :sick: to eat something that you would consider to be your pet ????????????????????

No, not really, a family friend owns a small farm and we all eat his "pets", and the bacon is very yummy ;)

*we really could do with a yummy smilie!

th'engineer
17-12-2003, 20:15
Squirrel is supposed to taste like chicken, must admit like a bit if of partridge grouse. Even had some Deer in germany

paulyoung666
17-12-2003, 20:16
No, not really, a family friend owns a small farm and we all eat his "pets", and the bacon is very yummy ;)

*we really could do with a yummy smilie!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy smilie yes please :D :D :D :D

Maggy
17-12-2003, 20:52
Easy to be picky when you have a full belly and you aren't facing starvation.If it was a matter of survival I suspect ALL of us would change our minds.

Mind I have eaten snails and frogs legs and did consider trying flying ants once(they had been toasted)but my mother had a screaming fit about it.

She was a spoilsport. :( She wouldn't even let me have the wild honeycomb either.

Incog. :)

luftys
17-12-2003, 21:18
One day a pet
next day dinner
next day flushed down the toilet
That life :disturbd:

Shaun
18-12-2003, 00:41
One day a pet
next day dinner
next day flushed down the toilet
That life :disturbd:

Now thats :sick:

luftys
18-12-2003, 14:57
Now thats :sick:
Thank you Dellwear :waving: My first :sick: since joining,first of many I hope :disturbd:

Lord Nikon
18-12-2003, 18:00
anyone checked out the extreme section of http://www.cybercandy.co.uk ?

Chocolate covered Scorpions etc

Shaun
18-12-2003, 18:31
Thank you Dellwear :waving: My first :sick: since joining,first of many I hope :disturbd:

Thats o.k. just post more crude and revolting stuff like that and I'm sure everyone will oblige! ;)