PDA

View Full Version : ntl are breaking the law

donnacheltenham
21-09-2006, 18:46
on the 15th of september i decided to have ntl , phone broadband and tv , all for 30 pounds great. on the 20th yesterday they sent out an engineer he put the tv on and then the broadband, then went to put the phone on., he came back and said there is no room in the box to plug me in for the phone, he said they need to upgrade the box with more wiring, and then he said they already new that i couldnt go on the phon as it was on the sheet he gave me, he advised me to ring the following morning , i rang them to get a cocky girl nastily telling me its tough i cant have the phone service and that i would have to now pay them 45 pounds for the two services as it is only discounted with the phone as a package, i went blood red in anger and told the to shove the lot up there **** and that i want my 25 pound back they took of my card in advance, she said i wont get it back and theres nothing she can do, anyway they have completly misled me into taking a package they cant suply and to ad to insult try and charge me more, this should be completly illigal and they shouldnt be able to get away with it , does anyone know who i can report this to and how to go about things, the worst customer service in the world im sure, help

Bill C
21-09-2006, 18:50
on the 15th of september i decided to have ntl , phone broadband and tv , all for 30 pounds great. on the 20th yesterday they sent out an engineer he put the tv on and then the broadband, then went to put the phone on., he came back and said there is no room in the box to plug me in for the phone, he said they need to upgrade the box with more wiring, and then he said they already new that i couldnt go on the phon as it was on the sheet he gave me, he advised me to ring the following morning , i rang them to get a cocky girl nastily telling me its tough i cant have the phone service and that i would have to now pay them 45 pounds for the two services as it is only discounted with the phone as a package, i went blood red in anger and told the to shove the lot up there **** and that i want my 25 pound back they took of my card in advance, she said i wont get it back and theres nothing she can do, anyway they have completly misled me into taking a package they cant suply and to ad to insult try and charge me more, this should be completly illigal and they shouldnt be able to get away with it , does anyone know who i can report this to and how to go about things, the worst customer service in the world im sure, help

Hi and :welcome:

The Mods and Admins who run this site have a good relationship with NTL and can help you. One of the Mods or Admins will be along soon to help you.

Russ
21-09-2006, 18:51

Yep :D

Send me your full name, address, daytime contact number and account number and I'll email my ntl contact tonight :)

Nedkelly
21-09-2006, 18:56
:shocked: I can not belive that a cab is full .We sometimes have to go out for installs and remove the dead lines and report this back to our manager who gets the cab status changed.Fingers crossed you get it sorted:tu:

jumbo159
21-09-2006, 19:30
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
If NTL pulled their finger out, they might be able to start providing a VOIP alternative for their own customers. Then we wont need the copper pair at all, and hopefully get rid of the line rental that ensconces itself in the TV package. But at present, the POTS seems to be inexplicably handcuffed to the telly. Good luck!

sollp
21-09-2006, 20:32
:shocked: I can not belive that a cab is full .We sometimes have to go out for installs and remove the dead lines and report this back to our manager who gets the cab status changed.Fingers crossed you get it sorted:tu:

Go into some areas Ned and the are cabinets are bursting, mainly the Telco side. Basically they have to wait until a customer disconnects in these cabinets and the new customers can then take that pair. This is what should happen in this case and also they should be charged the offer of 3 for £30:00 even though they can't provide the service for the phone.

Ntl will not upgrade these cabinets for the odd 1 or 2 customers that want to connect when there isn't any spare capacity in the cabs.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

If NTL pulled their finger out, they might be able to start providing a VOIP alternative for their own customers. Then we wont need the copper pair at all, and hopefully get rid of the line rental that ensconces itself in the TV package. But at present, the POTS seems to be inexplicably handcuffed to the telly. Good luck!

Thats what most Telco companies will want to aim for, so both the existing copper and CATV cables can both be utilised for VOIP and Digi TV ect, in BT's case it will obviously be the one copper pair to your house.

PS1
21-09-2006, 20:51
Its daft you were told you had to pay£45 without the telephone as ntl now offer a 2 for 20 package(digi and bb £20 a month).
This is a very popular package at the moment mainly with students who all have mobile phones anyway and dont want to be paying a penny more than they have to.

popper
21-09-2006, 21:13

im assuming the copper pair at least in my part of wythenshawe is cat5 grade, at least to my house, so it could be used for the 50meg_services they are trialing id assume, just get the spare twisted pair and bung an RJ45 box/connector on both ends, thats a good use for it anyway and it saves ntl cost and us users problems with new pulls/holes etc.

donnacheltenham (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/member.php?u=21284) ; your well within your rights to cancel, the question is do you want to try and stay with ntl in which case the 2for20 is what they should offer you AND some incentive to smooth things along.

so the question is, do you want to stay or go, to go keep in mind do not just rely on phone calls to ntl, you must cover yourself by also writting to the address on the back of the bill useing registered post so you can then prove that you did cancel.

if you get offered something to stay , also tell them to confirm that in writting too just incase you need it later after they mess up the billing (they will....).

Stu038
21-09-2006, 21:27

Lack of foresight unfortunatly mate, some areas not that far to your south were only built for 75% penetration :disturbd:

jumbo159
21-09-2006, 23:30
im assuming the copper pair at least in my part of wythenshawe is cat5 grade, at least to my house, so it could be used for the 50meg_services they are trialing id assume, just get the spare twisted pair and bung an RJ45 box/connector on both ends, thats a good use for it anyway and it saves ntl cost and us users problems with new pulls/holes etc.

You're right, but only if there are spares, which in this thread there are not :(
NTL are trialling ADSL2+ over the twisted pair in some areas, (and i think it only requires 1 pair, not 2), but put the physical medium aside, and get down to the apps. However it's delivered, i think its about time it all went over IP. BT's 21CN's is fast approaching (if you're not on a DACS!)

lostandconfused
22-09-2006, 01:40
firstly you have a 30 day money back guarentee so you can cancel with no cost,
slso there is an offer where you can get broadband and tv for £20 per month, just call CS and ask for that offer and they can apply it

arcamalpha2004
23-09-2006, 14:04
Go into some areas Ned and the are cabinets are bursting, mainly the Telco side. Basically they have to wait until a customer disconnects in these cabinets and the new customers can then take that pair. This is what should happen in this case and also they should be charged the offer of 3 for £30:00 even though they can't provide the service for the phone.

Ntl will not upgrade these cabinets for the odd 1 or 2 customers that want to connect when there isn't any spare capacity in the cabs.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Thats what most Telco companies will want to aim for, so both the existing copper and CATV cables can both be utilised for VOIP and Digi TV ect, in BT's case it will obviously be the one copper pair to your house.

I dont believe what you are saying ;) not literally ofcourse.
So, you are saying that it is ok for NTL to offer three services, only have the capacity to provide two, but charge you for three? :erm:
Total mis selling imo, NTL trying to rip people off again.
They really are the pits, if they dont have enough capacity to provide what you pay for they shouldnt charge you, quite simple really, and if they do, cancel your contract on the grounds of fraud and contact your local trading standards.

Ollig
23-09-2006, 14:44
<<on the 15th of september i decided to have ntl , phone broadband and tv , all for 30 pounds great. ETC!>>

Ha! ..... I was told by NTL that as an existing customer that I could have Broadband 1mb for 8.99 per month forever! ... without changing my phone or tv packages.
I questioned it about 3 times and was told that I*would* get the Broadband for that price.
They came & fitted the Broadband up .... and guess what? ..... They put me on a phone package that I didn't want as well!!
I kept telling them that I use Skype for all of my calls & I only need a landline for emergencies.
They insist that I shouldn't have been offered what I had been offered ..... and that the person who offered it is no longer employed by them.
Great! Fine!
I didn't get offered any solution except to pay up for what *they* say I had asked for.

lostandconfused
23-09-2006, 15:02
So, you are saying that it is ok for NTL to offer three services, only have the capacity to provide two, but charge you for three? :erm:
They really are the pits, if they dont have enough capacity to provide what you pay for they shouldnt charge you, quite simple really, and if they do, cancel your contract on the grounds of fraud and contact your local trading standards.

the problem is you could have been getting the phone line for free as you were talking the other services, the sales people dont know if there is capacity in the street they can only check if the area is servicable.

therefore while it is unfortunate that ntl cant provide a telephone line at this time if you were getting it free which you would be if you are having TV how can you expect to get it cheaper?

although as ive said before you do have a 30 day money back guarentee if you want to canel

sollp
23-09-2006, 19:39

I'm not saying that never did, i said that in some cases in may be the case that a customer wouldn't be able to be connected to the phone service because of no spare capacity in some cabinets. In these situations, the customer just wanting the phone service would have to wait for spares to become available. In the example of the Triple play service I would imagine that the customer would have to do without the phone service, OR you wouldn't receive the whole offer,(this is said in my opinion not officially NTL's).

So don't go saying that NTL are doing based on my opinion, as i'm not fully aware of what happens in these situations for the triple play.

arcamalpha2004
24-09-2006, 18:13
the problem is you could have been getting the phone line for free as you were talking the other services, the sales people dont know if there is capacity in the street they can only check if the area is servicable.

therefore while it is unfortunate that ntl cant provide a telephone line at this time if you were getting it free which you would be if you are having TV how can you expect to get it cheaper?

although as ive said before you do have a 30 day money back guarentee if you want to canel

Whether you are getting the telephone service " free " that is not the point.
You are being offered a telephone service, this should be provided, it is mis selling of the highest order imo.
If NTL cannot provide a line they should not offer it as part of the package, as they clearly are in this case.
30 day money back guarantee? do me a favour fella :erm:

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

I'm not saying that never did, i said that in some cases in may be the case that a customer wouldn't be able to be connected to the phone service because of no spare capacity in some cabinets. In these situations, the customer just wanting the phone service would have to wait for spares to become available. In the example of the Triple play service I would imagine that the customer would have to do without the phone service, OR you wouldn't receive the whole offer,(this is said in my opinion not officially NTL's).

So don't go saying that NTL are doing based on my opinion, as i'm not fully aware of what happens in these situations for the triple play.

Why should the customer have to wait for " spares " to become available?
Left hand not knowing what right hand is doing or blatant conning of people, roping them in on a pretence, what one do you think? I know what one I think.
If you are going to offer four bottles of milk at the same time from a cow it helps to have four udders.

lostandconfused
24-09-2006, 21:32
[quote=arcamalpha2004;34123253]Whether you are getting the telephone service " free " that is not the point.
You are being offered a telephone service, this should be provided, it is mis selling of the highest order imo.
If NTL cannot provide a line they should not offer it as part of the package, as they clearly are in this case.

quote]

correct ntl shouldnt have told you that you could have all three services when you can only get two, however would you have been happy if when you were speaking to sales they said, ill get a tech out to your area to check everything is ok then ill call you back in about 3 days to arrange an install?
that would be the only way of guarenteeing that you had all 3.

yes you are entitled to 30 days money back, if your not happy with the service... cancel

sollp
25-09-2006, 19:54
Whether you are getting the telephone service " free " that is not the point.

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Why should the customer have to wait for " spares " to become available?
Left hand not knowing what right hand is doing or blatant conning of people, roping them in on a pretence, what one do you think? I know what one I think.
If you are going to offer four bottles of milk at the same time from a cow it helps to have four udders.

Well obviously there should be plenty to go around, whether it is a planning issue when the networks were first designed in these cases,(in which it is in some cases) more people taking the phone than designed,(some streets have had rows of houses turned into flats each wanting a separate line) or for whatever reason.

Yes in some cases they do not know until the day of install that there isn't any spare capacity, so there is no conspiracy or blatant conning just a case of poor records, ect.

When the networks by all cable comapies were designed some were designed better than others, nore money was put into it by X company less in Y company design was better in others, more money was spent by W company in one area while T company spent it better in an other area. Now as we know NTL and Telewest have all these mixtures of design and equipment, ect in one company. So unfortunately this is were we are, not right but hopefully with pressure from places like this forum and others they will improve.

Cows, udders.. the examples get more elaborate.

popper
25-09-2006, 20:31
the guy needs one 'udder' connection though lol

arcamalpha2004
26-09-2006, 12:13
[quote=arcamalpha2004;34123253]Whether you are getting the telephone service " free " that is not the point.

quote]

correct ntl shouldnt have told you that you could have all three services when you can only get two, however would you have been happy if when you were speaking to sales they said, ill get a tech out to your area to check everything is ok then ill call you back in about 3 days to arrange an install?
that would be the only way of guarenteeing that you had all 3.

yes you are entitled to 30 days money back, if your not happy with the service... cancel

As a matter of fact I would sooner wait to see if I could get all three.
I dont dispute the 30 day money back promise, but its only on paper, sadly, because of ntl's reputation in this respect when do you think you will get your money back? furthermore, when do you think the letters from debt companies will stop because NTL cannot run a proper ship?

IanGuy
28-09-2006, 09:29
Ofcom regulations - you're supposed to have a period where you're allowed to cancel.

popper
28-09-2006, 12:20
Ofcom regulations - you're supposed to have a period where you're allowed to cancel.

its far more serious than "you're supposed to have" though, it seems many readers still dont realise yet that the consumer has many LAWFUL rights, and the right to cancel, is a very big one, that means, not only is NTL:tw (or any other company come to that) being UNLAWFUL if they do not follow the so called guidelines, they would also be acting illigally and hence a far greater criminal act as apposed to an unlawful act.

check out that http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/ and ask around for pointers on law etc, its amazing how the average comsumer has been conned in one way or another by business.

lostandconfused
28-09-2006, 13:01
the way i understand it is everyone is entitled to 7 days to change their mind some companies offer more

m419
30-09-2006, 11:56
Well, you could contact Ofcom as NTL have charged you for something that you haven't and probably never receive. Ofcom launched an investigation on Bulldog Communications as many customers complained that they'd paid an upfront fee for 16MB broadband and they couldn't even get 2MB in some areas and therefore Bulldog was ordered to pay the money back to thousands of customers.

Ofcom: 0207-981-3040