PDA

View Full Version : bagpipes

peachey
16-12-2003, 16:41
it used to be a hangable offence to play the bagpipes apparently

any thoughts on this with the new year round the corner?

paulyoung666
16-12-2003, 16:43

any thoughts on this with the new year round the corner?

dont know about the law but i love pipes and drums , 1 year i will make it to the edinburgh tattoo :tu:

Chris
16-12-2003, 16:49
The pipes are a really stirring instrument - if played well, they can play havoc with your emotions! I listened to the Queen Mother's funeral procession through London on the car radio while driving round the M25 and almost had to pull over to wipe a tear from my eye.

Actually they can play havoc with your emotions if played badly also, typically resulting in wild anger and a desire to ram said pipes down their owner's throat.

We had a piper at our wedding. It really set off the Scottish theme perfectly.

paulyoung666
16-12-2003, 17:00
The pipes are a really stirring instrument - if played well, they can play havoc with your emotions! I listened to the Queen Mother's funeral procession through London on the car radio while driving round the M25 and almost had to pull over to wipe a tear from my eye.

Actually they can play havoc with your emotions if played badly also, typically resulting in wild anger and a desire to ram said pipe's down their owner's throat.

We had a piper at our wedding. It really set off the Scottish theme perfectly.

deffo got to agree with you there , im not sure what it is but they certainly can get you stirred up

fireman328
16-12-2003, 17:22
After having had to try to march behind a pipe band, I think it should still be a hangable offence :)

Tricky
16-12-2003, 17:43
Being half scottish I think it should still be a hangable offence - or at least pushed out to a remote island somewhere!

EDIT : Changed "I should" to "it should" oops! :spin:

paulyoung666
16-12-2003, 17:54
Being half scottish I think I should still be a hangable offence - or at least pushed out to a remote island somewhere!

you should be a hangable offence ??????????? , or was it just a typo :p :p :p :p

Graham
17-12-2003, 01:08
The pipes are a really stirring instrument - if played well, they can play havoc with your emotions!

And if played badly they can play havoc with your eardrums!

There was a busker playing the bagpipes in Portsmouth Commercial Road during the summer. It was alleged that he would keep playing until he was given enough money to go somewhere else...!!!

Jerrek
18-12-2003, 00:35
I wish I can learn the bagpipes, but I think my roommates would object.

danielf
18-12-2003, 01:18
I wish I can learn the bagpipes, but I think my roommates would object.

:rofl: I imagine they would. Do you actually share your (bed)room with others? I've seen US dorms like that, and I wondered how the students coped. It sounds pretty awfull to me.

Edit: to stay on topic: Yes, the bagpipes do seem to 'rip your heart out'. Hence their effective use in war. I can honestly see the enemy fleeing at the sound of the bagpipe at a time of war.

But when played in different circumstances, it can just rip your heart out for sheer beauty. A very interesting instrument I'd say..

Jerrek
18-12-2003, 02:33
No, I live in a house with 4 other guys. We have five bedrooms. In residence though, you double up and you share a room with someone else. That was fun. :)

I like Amazing Grace on bagpipes. That, and the Scottish anthem(s).

kronas
18-12-2003, 02:39
*shudders at the thought of a bagpipe being blown

im in to more subtle instruments violin or flute even :) ;)

Theodoric
20-12-2003, 17:57
I presume that this banning of bagpipes came about at the same time as the banning of wearing Highland dress, that is, following the '45 rebellion.

Chimaera
20-12-2003, 18:56
I have no objections to male Highland dress! :naughty:

But bagpipes - noooooooooooooo :D

Stuart
20-12-2003, 19:40
*shudders at the thought of a bagpipe being blown

im in to more subtle instruments violin or flute even :) ;)Me too. I always think of an old Billy Connelly story (it's on the "Billy and Albert" vhs if you can track that down) where he reckons that the people at war with the highland regiments **** themselves because of the violent way the highland regiments play the bagpipes..

Well, it's funnier the way he says it..

Theodoric
21-12-2003, 15:57
I have no objections to male Highland dress! :naughty:
:D
So, the $64000 question. What's worn under the kilt? Please, no pictures! We'll take your word!

Paul
21-12-2003, 16:15
You mean it no longer is :eek:

Only joking - I do like Amazing Grace on the bagpipes but I think they would start to annoy me after a while.

On a different note (!) I also like stuff played on Steel Drums. :)

Theodoric
21-12-2003, 16:30
You mean it no longer is :eek:

Only joking - I do like Amazing Grace on the bagpipes but I think they would start to annoy me after a while.

On a different note (!) I also like stuff played on Steel Drums. :)
So, you like amazing this Grace on the bagpipes. What else do you do on the bagpipes? Sorry, couldn't resist it! :)