PDA

View Full Version : Install to house with a long drive?

mark1234
19-09-2006, 16:20
Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of my in-laws regarding getting NTL for the phone & free TV deal. There house was built in the garden of another, so has a long drive to get to it. I paced it out the other day and it has to be about 40 metres long. Will NTL install down this length of drive? There is a service pipe under the drive that all the other utilities use to get access. There is one of the green NTL boxes on the pavement a couple of metres from the bottom of the drive.

I did try to ring Sales and ask. First person said no service at all to that address. When I mentioned that there was a green box just there he passed me onto someone else who said there was no problem. When I mentioned the 40m drive she forwarded me onto someone else, but then I just got cut off and was left listening to an old fashioned engaged tone. Great impression for inbound sales to a potential new customer!

Anyway, can anyone answer the question of is an install possible with a long drive? The preference would be to use the service pipe as I don't think my father-in-law would appreciate someone digging up the whole length of his drive.

Thanks,

Mark

lostandconfused
20-09-2006, 00:12
your best bet is to get onto CS and ask them to mail your area install manager to get a site survey done before installation

zing_deleted
20-09-2006, 00:16
In practice im sure using the service pipe wouldnt be that difficult a job but if theres mains and the like running down there would a contractor be allowed to use this? Im guess here but the box would be for the original property and that would be why your address was coming back as unservicable and im gut is telling me you will have a problem here but as lostandconfused said ask for a site survey

Nedkelly
20-09-2006, 07:05
Hi if the installers can use the ducting thats there already and it means that thet have little digging to do i know thats what they would use.As the others have said ring ntl up to get a supervisor out just to check.:tu: 40 meters thats a long drive;)

mark1234
20-09-2006, 10:27
Thanks for your replies chaps.

Another phone call it is then. See if I get cut off this time...

Mark