PDA

View Full Version : Installation in flats

jonat8
18-09-2006, 13:24
Hello :)

I signed up to NTL this morning after finding out (finally) that we are not allowed satellite dishes on our building. The website estimated next Monday as the nearest installation date but after a phone call to Sales, it is booked for this Wednesday, which is nice, so I have booked the day off work.

I have no idea how any of this stuff works so please bear with me - I live on the first floor in a block of flats. According to NTL the postcode and flat is covered, indeed there is a massive green NTL box just outside the building. But there is no cable point anywhere in my place. I have seen NTL vans here before but haven't spoken to any neighbours that actually have it so I was wondering. What is going to be involved to do the install? How long will it take? Is there anything I need to do before the engineer gets here?

Hopefully it will all go smoothly :)

Thanks.

Paul K
18-09-2006, 14:10
They will probably run the cable up the outside wall and then drill a hole through that is big enough for the cable to fit in and then fit a small box to your inside wall. The only thing you can do to help the install is have the kettle on ;)

jonat8
19-09-2006, 14:24
Ok that sounds cool :) I noticed 2 engineers poking around inside the green box this morning as I was leaving for work. Preparation work?

Does the engineer bring everything with him, like the viewing card etc.? Or does it arrive in the post (I haven't recieved anything from them yet, except for a text message 'reminding' me that the engineer will call tomorrow!)

Thanks.

lostandconfused
20-09-2006, 00:14
he'll bring all the stuff with him, a few havent had any welcome packs recently though so if you dont get one CS can post one out to you

Nedkelly
20-09-2006, 07:07
let us know how the install went today :tu:

jonat8
20-09-2006, 13:34
Running commentary starts here!

Engineer has just arrived, started drilling through the wall and discovered that he doesn't have a long enough drill bit. Has driven off to get one from a colleague! Fingers crossed!

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Install all done successfully :) Thanks to the friendly engineer!

Graham F
20-09-2006, 13:42
good stuff :)

Slyder
21-09-2006, 20:00
Did he come back... :confused:

AndyCambs
22-09-2006, 21:14
i had eighteen NTL engineers on the day I had my installation - not all together, but over the day. One team to pull the cable from the green box, another to lay it to the house from the street boundary, and another to bring it inside the house. Oh plus a couple of supervisors. Needed more than one kettle...