PDA

View Full Version : Favourite supermarket?

sir_drinks_alot
11-09-2006, 22:11
Just wondered what supermarket you like to shop at :)

Hugh
11-09-2006, 22:13
Asda superstores
but, as I'm a bit of a shopping slut, I also frequent Sainsbury's and Morrisons (and occasionally Tesco's).

Oh, and the local Co-op 7-11 (told I was a bit loose with my affections) ;)

Druchii
11-09-2006, 22:13
Tesco's, and of course Netto and Aldi.

Yep, cheap and cheap win again :)
Just don't buy the home brands is the rule we stick by (unless it's Aldi, and Tescos' :p)

In sheffield we used to shop @ Morrisons and Sainsburys (with staff discount) and of course then Aldi on top of that. For some reason, i like the cheap prices :)

danielf
11-09-2006, 22:17
Tesco's. Sainsbury are thieving barstewards (though we go there occasionally for stuff Tesco don't stock). Asda is a bit too nasty for my liking.

sir_drinks_alot
11-09-2006, 22:20
Tesco's. Sainsbury are thieving barstewards (though we go there occasionally for stuff Tesco don't stock). Asda is a bit too nasty for my liking.

Ya the all round look of asda is just horrible

At this point i must declere a conflict of interest as i work for Sainsbury

fireman328
11-09-2006, 22:25
You can't beat Morrisons, used to use them when I lived up't North but when i came "darn sarf" I had to do with Sainsbury and Waitrose but we now got a Morrisons in sunny Surrey !!!

SnoopZ
11-09-2006, 22:26
Tesco because it's the closest.

punky
11-09-2006, 22:27
I don't really have a favourite, but I do shop at Tesco's because they are the biggest shop locally, and have the biggest selection which makes shopping easier.

When I am visiting t'other half, we shop at Asda, and they aren't too bad...

greencreeper
11-09-2006, 22:32
All of them :erm: I prefer Tesco but Asda do some nice stuff. And Sainsbury's is closer, so I nip there for essentials. Nice pizzas too. Morrisons is alright for BOGOFs. M&S lasagnes are to die for. Do a nice strawberry milkshake too :drool:

Mal
11-09-2006, 22:35
Tesco's and Morrisons for real shops. Just started using Asda online shopping which is pretty reliable and cheap. It beats lugging a crate of :beer: home on the bus ;)

Chris
11-09-2006, 22:45
Poll updated to make it a little more comprehensive. ;)

We prefer Asda as it's cheap and well stocked, but will use Morrisons, Tesco, CoOp or Sainsbury's quite happily if we're passing. There's no supermarket less than 20 minutes' drive from us so we can't always afford to be choosy.

Maggy
11-09-2006, 23:00
Just wondered what supermarket you like to shop at :)

Why?Are you a market analyst or summat?:erm:

Chris
11-09-2006, 23:01
Why?Are you a market analyst or summat?:erm:

Or is he just a member of a discussion forum who likes to discuss stuff? ;)

dilli-theclaw
11-09-2006, 23:08
Asda for the main shop but our local one is budgens

Maggy
11-09-2006, 23:08
Or is he just a member of a discussion forum who likes to discuss stuff? ;)

Well it'll end in tears I know it will.There will be the Asda lovers versus the Sainsbury bunch...

Could end up with blood on the carpet...just like the Mac v PC threads.;)

Frankly it's not an area I've ever thought worth asking/polling my friends about.Sometimes we do things merely because we have to.Me, I look for the NEAREST shop so as to save travelling expenses and then it's dependant on whether the shop sells the tuff I want to buy.

homealone
11-09-2006, 23:20
trouble is that my favourite, Co-op, isn't the closest - and unfortunately, Tesco is closest, and we go there.

I voted Co-op, anyway, they are the nearest to applying a true ethical approach to their products, in my opinion.

I think the other retailers try to appear 'nice' because it will increase sales, while Co-op do it because they actually want a better deal for their customers....

zing_deleted
11-09-2006, 23:22
I like Asda buy a lot of mine and my daughters clothes from there and the foods always been good value

Halcyon
11-09-2006, 23:36
Didn't someone do a poll similar to this a while ago ?
Ah yes....
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=646996#post646996

I prefer Tesco. I would then go with Sainsbury's but some of their things are a little expensive for a big weekly shopping trip. If I want to treat myself I'll get something from their taste the difference range.
I have a Tesco just up the road so it is quite convenient and it avoids me having to go into town as it does nearly everything.

Paul
11-09-2006, 23:44
Sainsbury Online, local Morrisons for the rest.

Pia
11-09-2006, 23:59
I suppose Morissons is my favourite, cos its about a 2 minute walk away and i can shop there blindfolded i'm there that often.
I like Asda for some things, but i find myself buying too many ready meals and crap when i shop there.
I quite like Netto aswell, but i rarely go there it's a bit far without a car. What annoys me about that place though is the general state of it- oh and the fact you have to pay for your carrier bags. I don't think it's an awful lot cheaper than some of the main supermarkets now to be honest, and Netto do sell a fair bit of crap, and also some brill bargains.

greencreeper
12-09-2006, 00:46
I once found a bit of wire in a Netto pasty. It's alright if you're on the dole and facing starvation. I used to stock up on beans and spaghetti.

Cobbydaler
12-09-2006, 01:13
I'm sure it depends on the local store. When travelling to see friends/family I shop in the ASDA store at Colne in Lancashire. It's great, wide aisles, bright & airy...
At home the ASDA in Ashton has narrow aisles, is gloomy, cluttered & generally unappealing although they are similar in overall size.

As a result I tend to shop in Aldi, Lidl or Sainsburys when at home...

AndrewJ
12-09-2006, 03:56
I goto Asda even though I have a Tesco Aldi and a Morrisons closer to my home.

I mainly use Asda since we know alot of the staff there and the prices seem fair, I do admit their adverts are annoying and cheesy.

lauzjp
12-09-2006, 08:44
I love Asda - have to take a £5 taxi to get there as it's on the other side of town, but I still think it is the best for value and the range of stuff. I love the cheap clothes especially! ;)

Nugget
12-09-2006, 09:20
We use Asda for the monthly shopping, as it seems to be the cheapest. Having said that, Tesco is the closest to where I work, so I'll use that if there's anything I need to get in the week. Then, of course, there's the fact that we only live round the corner from Sainsburys, so we use that as our corner shop :)

Tinky
12-09-2006, 10:22
I love Asda - have to take a £5 taxi to get there as it's on the other side of town, but I still think it is the best for value and the range of stuff. I love the cheap clothes especially! ;)

Couldn't you have your shopping delivered (unless you are looking out for some new gear) that is?

liamboyle06
12-09-2006, 10:32
Well with only Tesco, Sainsburys and Lidl here i do most of the shopping at Tesco, but also frequently got to the other stores also.

Stuart
12-09-2006, 10:32
Wouldn't really say I have a favourite as such, as I don't particularly like any supermarket., but I tend to shop in either Tescos as it is on my way home or Sainsbury's (as it it near where I live). I used to shop in Safeways, but unfortunately, Morrisons took over the company and closed all those around where I live.

I have to admit, I don't like Sainsbury's either, it's just that I don't drive, and it's the ONLY supermarket near where I live that does fresh produce. I do also have a large Marks and Spencers down the road, and an Iceland, but their select is limited if you don't want frozen food.

Angua
12-09-2006, 10:37
I voted for Waitrose as my favourite although I actually shop at Asda once a month, Sainsburys more often and the local Spar shop at least once a week, and the only place to get Didi Jammie Doghnuts is Somerfield. Waitrose locally always seems clean and spacious and have lovely (if expensive) food.

Salu
12-09-2006, 11:27
It has to be Marks and Spencer but that wasn't on your list!

orangebird
12-09-2006, 11:33
I've voted for Sainsburys. I like their fresh produce very much, seems to last longer than any other supermarkets. I also love their delicatessen style products. However, ever the bargain hunter, I would vote Lidl second. Cannot beat them on value for money. :tu:

Shaun
12-09-2006, 12:40
Sainsbury Online, local Morrisons for the rest.

Snap :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-09-2006, 13:19
Tesco's. Sainsbury are thieving barstewards

And Tescos aren't :rolleyes: They dont care if suppliers go bust. The get companies to invest heavily to get a contract, then the prices are driven down and down and finally they either go bust or Tesco's go elsewhere leaving the supplier without a lifeline

Stuart
12-09-2006, 13:28
All supermarkets (apart from the Co-op) do that..

danielf
12-09-2006, 13:43
And Tescos aren't :rolleyes: They dont care if suppliers go bust. The get companies to invest heavily to get a contract, then the prices are driven down and down and finally they either go bust or Tesco's go elsewhere leaving the supplier without a lifeline

I know that. My point was more them being thieving towards their customers. From my experience, Sainsbury's are particularly bad in using underhand tactics to make them look cheap when they are not. So-called 'offers' which usually mean that the price of other items have been increased. That sort of stuff.

handyman
12-09-2006, 14:15
Asda for us, the morrisons is Kendal is the worst supermarket I have ever shopped in. Lidl for some booze, Tesco's is alright but the shops just feel to spread out.

Jules
12-09-2006, 16:19
I use Sainsburys cause it is the nearest

Oh, and the local Co-op 7-11 (told I was a bit loose with my affections) ;)

Is that the one next to the petrol station?

Enuff
12-09-2006, 16:40
We mostly shop at morrisons, but i'd have to say M&S are our favourite for food.

Gareth
12-09-2006, 16:41
All British supermarkets are naff. I love continental supermakets... French, Spanish and Italian supermarkets beat our ones hands-down, especially for fresh fruit and veg that doesn't go off within 2 days - even the Nordic ones are better than ours for that!

Well, despite that little rant, I voted Tesco cause we've got a nice one fairly near us. But we have an Asda just around the corner which we use more often. There's a 2nd Asda here in Swindon which isn't as nice however :(

The one thing I do like about going to Aldi or Lidl is that it makes you feel very attractive and super intelligent ;)

danielf
12-09-2006, 16:46
The one thing I do like about going to Aldi or Lidl is that it makes you feel very attractive and super intelligent ;)

Funny that. I come here for that reason :D

lauzjp
12-09-2006, 17:02
Couldn't you have your shopping delivered (unless you are looking out for some new gear) that is?

I would love to get my shopping delivered, sometimes we use tesco for that - but I am a sucker for bargins and love trawling round the actual shop! And Asda don't do delivery in our area. Browsing round all the isles takes me about 3 hours, my other half prefers to stay at home and get the bags out of the taxi for me and put stuff away. :D

Hugh
12-09-2006, 17:31
Is that the one next to the petrol station?

Yup - on Otley Road, between the Petrol Station and the Lawnswood Arms.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/09/15.jpg (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newsearch.srf?x=426750&y=439750&z=1&ar=Y&isp=200&ism=500&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf&ax=426872&ay=439600)

Jules
12-09-2006, 17:49
Not the one I was thinking of, I thought you meant the one off Harrogate road :)

Jason1
12-09-2006, 18:09
Sainsbury is now me fav there taste the differnce range of food is class, Then tesco for the larger range, although stock availablity is **** poor at both my locals. also like M&S dont go near the rest

yesman
12-09-2006, 18:17

:rofl:

Jules
12-09-2006, 18:25

I so wanted to rep you for that lol

greencreeper
12-09-2006, 19:40
Online shopping - end up with Jif instead of Ketchup, and so on. Plus I prefer to sneeze my own cauli, thanks all the same. Always assuming you live in a nice area where they will deliver.

cookie_365
12-09-2006, 20:15
Haven't we done all this before?

Anyway, if you're not posh enough to shop at Waitrose, at least turn your plastic bags inside out so as to avoid any embarrassment ;)

Hugh
12-09-2006, 20:48
Haven't we done all this before?

Anyway, if you're not posh enough to shop at Waitrose, at least turn your plastic bags inside out so as to avoid any embarrassment ;)

Oooooh - get him! :rolleyes:

lauzjp
12-09-2006, 22:43
waitrose (or rather ocado) do deliver to my address, hurrah! that has to be a rare treat. :)

cookie_365
13-09-2006, 00:26
waitrose (or rather ocado) do deliver to my address, hurrah! that has to be a rare treat. :)

Don't you love it when they arrive, bring out an enormous pile of shopping, and then have to go back to the van to bring out another enormous pile of shopping ... and then another ... ;)

danielf
13-09-2006, 00:28
Don't you love it when they arrive, bring out an enormous pile of shopping, and then have to go back to the van to bring out another enormous pile of shopping ... and then another ... ;)

Your shopping fits in a van? Amateur! :rolleyes:

greencreeper
13-09-2006, 00:31
Oooooh - get him! :rolleyes:
He lives in Brighton. They're all special. Just look at Pete.

lauzjp
13-09-2006, 04:00

lol, I especially love it when they say, 'which floor are you on' and even though it's only one flight of stairs, they will insist on carrying the bags right into the kitchen even! :D

AndrewJ
13-09-2006, 04:31
lol, I especially love it when they say, 'which floor are you on' and even though it's only one flight of stairs, they will insist on carrying the bags right into the kitchen even! :D

Would be hilarious if you could turn about and tell them

"floor 11,003,302*

Then put a nice smile on :)

lauzjp
13-09-2006, 05:22
:D heehee, i probably could get away with that - smile sweetly and am far too used to getting what I want. Hence going shopping twice in two days! got some of those nice 'tickled pink' charity carrier bags from asda - omg, they even have tickled pink wellies with ribbon up the front of them, they are so cute. :angel:

Hugh
13-09-2006, 13:19
Your shopping fits in a van? Amateur! :rolleyes:

"cough, cough" - obviously, when he said "a van", he meant a pantechnicon! ;)

cookie_365
13-09-2006, 19:24
:D heehee, i probably could get away with that - smile sweetly and am far too used to getting what I want. Hence going shopping twice in two days! got some of those nice 'tickled pink' charity carrier bags from asda - omg, they even have tickled pink wellies with ribbon up the front of them, they are so cute. :angel:

Did you see that gorgeous pink dress Coleen McL wore in the Tinkled Pink photoshoot? She looked fab! :)

I know this sounds so shallow, but I have been to Asda recently just to get some pink things :angel:

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

"cough, cough" - obviously, when he said "a van", he meant a pantechnicon! ;)

You're making an unwarranted assumption there - assuming that I've got a clue what a pantechnicon is :dunce:

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

He lives in Brighton. They're all special. Just look at Pete.

Pete IS special, and I do like looking at him :D