PDA

View Full Version : NTL DNS Update?

Cyrill666
15-12-2003, 11:51
Hello,

I help to run a local community website - we got upset with our currents hosts, after a couple of weeks of messing around we decided to purchase hosting space elsewhere and last night amended the DNS entries against our domain to reflect the new host.

My question is, when is it likely that the NTL will recognise the new DNS entries and point at our new host rather than the old one? Is there a particuar time of day/night that NTL update this information, or do I just have to wait for the propogation ripple to arrive?

FYI - I amended the DNS entry at about 11pm yesterday.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
:D

Ben
15-12-2003, 11:55
Hiya,

You might want to try changing your proxy server - or overall your DNS servers :rolleyes: you could be waiting a long time otherwsie - from the past I know quite a few people where waiting weeks for then to update but once changing there proxy seem to pull though

How to change your proxy here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#iew)

List of proxys here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl)

Mick
15-12-2003, 12:23
It usually takes between 24 hours and 48 hours for domain name to fully propagate, but if ntl's dns servers are not working up to speed it could be abit longer as Ben has pointed out.

Cyrill666
15-12-2003, 12:30
It usually takes between 24 hours and 48 hours for domain name to fully propagate, but if ntl's dns servers are not working up to speed it could be abit longer as Ben has pointed out.

OK, thanks - I'll play around with my proxy and see what happens.

As an aside, I had noticed over the weekend that another of my websites was recording hits from NTL Birmingham whenever I looked at it... my personal hits are normally recorded from Middlesbrough... it seemed to switch back last night. This is without me playing with the proxy settings. So I guess something is afoot somewhere!

Kind regards,
Cyrill666

Paul
15-12-2003, 12:59
In general that is true, but it depends on the values set in the domains SOA record.

Cyrill666
17-12-2003, 00:09
Update.

Hello everyone.

I can now see our site sometimes with the new host, sometimes with the old. I'll explain. For the local area to me (Middlesbrough) there are 4 proxy servers:

inktomi1-mid.server.ntl.com (Middlesbrough)
inktomi2-mid.server.ntl.com [mid/midd]
inktomi3-mid.server.ntl.com
inktomi4-mid.server.ntl.com

It seems that 1, 2 and 4 are looking at the correct host for our site, and 3 is not.

This in itself isn't the end of the world. However, when I leave the proxy server blank, the default appears to be 3. You'll appreciate that many users don't have the technicaly knowledge to play with these settings and therefore leave theirs blank - this causes me a problem locally as the vast majority of the visitors to our site are in the local area, it is afterall a local community website.

Is there anything I can do to help this situation?

Why would one of the local proxy servers be different to the other three?

Kind regards,
Cyrill666

Mr.Moony
17-12-2003, 01:19
heya Cyrill666, ring tech support (very quiet during the day lately - busy around peak times) and some one will be able to escalate it for you.

Cyrill666
17-12-2003, 14:35
heya Cyrill666, ring tech support (very quiet during the day lately - busy around peak times) and some one will be able to escalate it for you.

Thanks, I'll try and do that today. It's spells very bad news for our site though - everone's looking at out-of-date information now.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
:shrug:

th'engineer
17-12-2003, 14:54
if ntl's dns servers are not working up to speed
Are they ever reliable not had any problems since not using them:)

Cyrill666
17-12-2003, 15:27
Are they ever reliable not had any problems since not using them:)

That's the problem... most of our visitors don't have technicaly skills to change them - so we're stuck with them for now.

NTL have now been called and the issue is logged. Hope to have it resolved today - I'll post back when it's fixed.

Thanks for everyones comments, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666

Cyrill666
19-12-2003, 13:51
NTL called again at 12 today - the issue has now been reported by 2 seperate people.

And it's really causing us a problem as most visitors to www.inglebybarwick.com (http://www.inglebybarwick.com) are seeing the old site and it looks to them as though the forums have stalled :(

Does anybody have any idea a) how long it would take to fix for someone familier with proxy servers and b) how long it will actually take NTL to fix?

I hope a = b, but I'm not convinced.

I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666

Cyrill666
19-12-2003, 20:12
Ok, another call was made at around 5pm today - they said it was being worked on...

...And as of now it appears to be resolved. Thanks NTL and thanks for eveyones comments here.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666