PDA

View Full Version : Car Boot Sales..advice, tips please!

Tinky
10-09-2006, 10:19
I am thinking of doing a car boot sale, haven't done one before. How do I go about it? Any tips like what sells best/what doesn't. Is it better to put price tags on, or leave it up to someone to haggle? How to stop people nicking things from your stall etc.?

Nidge
10-09-2006, 10:25
I am thinking of doing a car boot sale, haven't done one before. How do I go about it? Any tips like what sells best/what doesn't. Is it better to put price tags on, or leave it up to someone to haggle? How to stop people nicking things from your stall etc.?

Just keep the prices sensible and you'll make a bob or two. A few years ago I did a car boot, I emptied my loft, garage and shed I had a load of stuff to get rid of, I priced it all up at the right price, people will haggle with you but set yourself a price to which you'll only go so low on. When I did the car boot I made £350 in a morning, you get the bug like you want to do it again because peole will buy anything at the right price.

Angua
10-09-2006, 10:58
Watch out for other regular car booters who will try and buy stuff as cheap as they can (you will find they are selling it themselves with a big price tag if you look round). Download Failed (1)

zing_deleted
10-09-2006, 11:07
Ive been tempted to take a load sell as much as I can then run away at the end leaving what aint sold lol would this count as fly tipping lol

Tinky
10-09-2006, 11:23
Depends, if it was trousers you left behind Zing most likely lol!

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

[quote=Angua;34113598]Watch out for other regular car booters who will try and buy stuff as cheap as they can (you will find they are selling it themselves with a big price tag if you look round). Download Failed (1)

Can't believe people have the brass neck to do that! Haven't mastered how to do quotes, can you instruct me anyone

cuggle
10-09-2006, 11:58
click on the quote icon at the bottom right of the post you want to quote from

Halcyon
10-09-2006, 22:31
- As has been said, be careful of the traders who often come and look at your stuff whilst you are still unloading and setting up. They try to grab you whilst you still havent thought about prices so refuse to sell until you are ready as they will be trying to get themselves bargains to re-sell at their own stall.

- Have a think the day before about what you want to sell at what price.
It is often best to not put prices on little things but put prices on big goods that you dont want to sell under the value you decided.

- Prepare for a long day. Bring food and drinks as you will be there some time.

- Have a lot to sell. Remember that people come looking for bargains at car boot sales so you need to have lot's of things to sell to make a proffit, especially after you have deducted however much it cost you to get a place at the sale.

- Keep the money bag on you. Those old 1980's bum bags are good as then you know no one can secretly walk off with your cash.