PDA

View Full Version : Xenical any good?

Tinky
07-09-2006, 08:16
My Doctor has prescribed Xenical to try and help me lose weight, it works by allowing about 30% of fat eaten in a meal, to pass through the gut undigested. Ergo, theoretically I should lose weight. It may be early days yet (one week) but despite cutting down + the Xenical, haven't lost a single ounce. My Doctor won't help anymore if I haven't lost 5 lbs in four weeks. Has it worked for anyone else?

zing_deleted
07-09-2006, 08:27
omg dude this stuff is bad. Dont wander to far away from a toilet.
You have to be very careful what you eat.
I have lost 8 stone or thereabouts since feb and all ive done is adapted a low fat diet and exercise .Depending how large you are your basal metabolic usage will be quite high at 23 stone I was burning 2500 cals if i was asleep all day. So I aimed my diet around 1500 calories a day and the weight just dropped off. Buying healthy option treats (yogurts mouses etc) gives you the psychological idea that you have had your sweet rush.
Try monitoring your intake here www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) if nothing else it will give you an idea of your consumption

Obese
07-09-2006, 08:28
My Doctor has prescribed Xenical to try and help me lose weight, it works by allowing about 30% of fat eaten in a meal, to pass through the gut undigested. Ergo, theoretically I should lose weight. It may be early days yet (one week) but despite cutting down + the Xenical, haven't lost a single ounce. My Doctor won't help anymore if I haven't lost 5 lbs in four weeks. Has it worked for anyone else?

A friend of mine used xenical. It gave him diarhea. And it did not work

I would recommend a high protein diet: unlimited meat or fish +salad but trim down the fat. No cheese but 0% yogurt/fromage frais is ok. You will lose 2 pounds the first week if you do not eat any carbs. One pound per week after that. The key to this is no carbs (bread potato).

If you do not eat fat, there is no need for xenical.

zing_deleted
07-09-2006, 08:30
I disagree carbs are an essential part of a balanced diet also to burn fat your body need energy its all in krebs cycle. Complex carbs can give your body enough energy to burn the fat. Atkins does work for some but once in ketosis your breath smells and a lot of people are constipated

Tinky
07-09-2006, 08:35
Yes Zing
I tried Atkins but it did not work for me, tried all sorts of diets even Cabbage soup but did not work. You are right about the toilet bit!

Ramrod
07-09-2006, 08:39
Taken from the BNF (british national formulary):

Indications
adjunct in obesity
Cautions
diabetes mellitus; may impair absorption of fat-soluble vitamins; pregnancy (Appendix 4); interactions: Appendix 1 (orlistat)
Multivitamins

If a multivitamin supplement is required, it should be taken at least 2 hours after orlistat dose or at bedtime

Contra-indications
chronic malabsorption syndrome; cholestasis; breast-feeding (Appendix 5)

Side-effects

oily leakage from rectum, flatulence, faecal urgency, liquid or oily stools, faecal incontinence, abdominal distension and pain (gastro-intestinal effects minimised by reduced fat intake), tooth and gingival disorders; respiratory infections; anxiety, headache; menstrual disturbances, urinary-tract infection; fatigue; very rarely diverticulitis, cholelithiasis, hepatitis, and bullous eruptions
Dose

120 mg taken immediately before, during, or up to 1 hour after each main meal (up to max. 360 mg daily); continue treatment beyond 12 weeks only if weight loss since start of treatment exceeds 5% (see also notes above); child not recommended
Note

If a meal is missed or contains no fat, the dose of orlistat should be omitted

NICE has approved it's use.....

More from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlistat)

Obese
07-09-2006, 08:43
I do no recommend Atkins I recommend this one

http://www.csiro.au/csiro/content/standard/psk3,,.html

zing_deleted
07-09-2006, 08:46
I recommend a low fat diet exercise and disapline

TheNorm
07-09-2006, 08:48
.... It may be early days yet (one week) but despite cutting down + the Xenical, haven't lost a single ounce. My Doctor won't help anymore if I haven't lost 5 lbs in four weeks. ...

One week is very early days for fat loss. Any weight decrease this soon would almost certainly be due to water loss.

Why not take your doctor's advice and try the stuff for a month? If it works for you (and you can tolerate the side-effects) then great!

Personally, I think Zinglebarb has the right idea - a lifestyle change that includes exercise and eating the "right" foods.

Tinky
07-09-2006, 08:52
Thanks all I knew I could rely on you for support and advice. Will bear everything you've said in mind.:tu:

zing_deleted
07-09-2006, 08:55
What weight are you? Remember it is easy to eat a low fat diet
I buy campbells condensed soups (low fat varient) or asda healthy eating Thai chicken soup and these are my sauces so theres quite a variety of flavours. You can add mushrooms onion peppers whatever then add chicken or fish or prawns and serve with rice pasta or salad.Adapting that gives you all the main meals you need.
Breakfast can be a small bowl of healthy cerial or a couple of slices of toast with say philli extra light spread or a smoothie (I use just fruit melon strawberrys raspberries etc)mmmm
Lunch can be a salad or a sandwich again ensuring you only eat low fat.
Then keep fruit in the house if you crave eat some strawberries a whole punnet is only 100 cals or weightwatchers yogurts or similar they do loads all low fat and a treat.
So you dont have to be hungry if you want to eat eat somethin healthy and remember in just a few weeks of eating a diet like this even if you have not lost much weight you will feel so much better

Tinky
07-09-2006, 09:01
Zing
Won't even tell the Old Man what weight I am, too ashamed! I used to go to the gym twice a week and that definitely helped. But my Doctor does not advise me to go back. Will persevere with the diet, luckily I don't have a sweet tooth!

zing_deleted
07-09-2006, 09:07
good luck mate ive battled my weight all my life im currently doing well but in the past ive slipped right back and undone all my good work (normally stress from women but im not letting em get to me this time lol )
I hope it all goes well for you mate

Tinky
07-09-2006, 09:18
Thanks Zing and everyone who has responded. I too lost a lot of weight around 4 stone, and I looked and felt really great, but alas I have foolishly put it all back on again, I don't know if I have the willpower to sustain yet another diet. I have had several people telling me that I have put on weight recently, like I haven't noticed! Makes me feel even more miserable, when I know the answer is in my own hands, I am the one who made me fat!

homealone
07-09-2006, 09:46
On a purely theoretical basis, protein & carbs have the same amount of calories, while fat has twice the amount of calories than protein or carbs. That is why reducing fat intake is usually the 'easiest' way to diet. The high protein diets are thought to work because it is assumed that protein makes you feel 'full' quicker, so you end up actually eating less.

The 'problem' is that, for a lot of people, reducing the amount of calories they eat tends to lower their metabolic rate. This is why, as Zingle says, exercise is important, as this helps to maintain your metabolic rate, so you continue to 'burn' what you eat, efficiently. This is, sometimes, the hardest thing for people to maintain, as it can take a while for any benefits to be felt & usually people just feel they don't have the energy - that is where you need the willpower to keep it up, it does get easier.

Other than that, it must be remembered that a healthy diet & regular excercise is to be thought of as a permanent lifestyle change, many of the 'faddy' diets are only short term solutions - the cabbage diet, a case in point, is devoid of almost all useful nutrition & is dangerous to continue long term.

The important thing is to eat sensibly, Zinglebarb has to be congratulated on his very sensible approach, where he is keeping it interesting, but still balanced. The 'Weightwatchers' recipe books are good, for this, with some very tasty meals in them, which are very easy & quick to prepare.

Nidge
07-09-2006, 18:30
I recommend a low fat diet exercise and disapline

Spot on there, the only way you'll lose weight is with a good diet and excersise, eat plenty of fish, chicken, fruit, veg, and balance your carbs out through the day so they give you plenty of energy, I tend not to eat any carbs after 3pm. Steer clear of the bread it holds a hell of a lot of water plus it's high in carbs, like Zingbarb has said you need to burn more calories than you consume in order to lose weight. The daily calorie intake for a man is 2200, fat consumption is 90grms per day, if you can get down to 1500 calories and 50grms of fat you'll be on to a winner.

timewarrior2001
07-09-2006, 19:50
Both my mother and my wife have seen benefits of this medication.

What people ALWAYS make the mistake of is measuring weight loss by their weight only.
You will find the weight will drop off suddenly then you will lose inches, then another weight loss period.

You will see how much oil comes out when you visit the loo, and I hear it is shocking.

Stick with it, its hard to keep to a diet when you dont see any benefit, remember you may not see it, but the regular checkups will prove that it works.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Spot on there, the only way you'll lose weight is with a good diet and excersise, eat plenty of fish, chicken, fruit, veg, and balance your carbs out through the day so they give you plenty of energy, I tend not to eat any carbs after 3pm. Steer clear of the bread it holds a hell of a lot of water plus it's high in carbs, like Zingbarb has said you need to burn more calories than you consume in order to lose weight. The daily calorie intake for a man is 2200, fat consumption is 90grms per day, if you can get down to 1500 calories and 50grms of fat you'll be on to a winner.

Daily calorie intake for a man may be 2200 or in deed 2500, but if this person is burning that when asleep a sudden drop to 1500 a day would be dangerous.

lauzjp
07-09-2006, 20:52
omg, really - do not take xenical unless you are really desperate. and like said in previous posts - you will be desperate for the loo.. ugh, it's horrible, but then you think - hmm, well otherwise that fat that is coming out of my rear end would be sitting on my tum or hips... ? I hated it. I took xenical while doing the atkins diet, and while it did work, i wouldn't do it again. i had to wear sanitary towels!? :disturbd:

cuggle
08-09-2006, 10:45
Xenical is not recomended to be taken in conjunction with Atkins as it`s a high fat diet. Xenical should be taken in conjunction with a low fat diet and as zing has said in this thread the way to lose weight is with a low fat, (some fats are beneficial to good health) calorie controlled diet with exercise. As long as you are taking less calories in than your body needs you are going to lose weight.

punky
08-09-2006, 10:59
No diet ever works without exercise. Its important you get the right balance. I've struggled virtually all my life being obese. I lost 4 stone last year in just over 4 months on a seemingly another attempt. I've put it back on due to family problems etc, but trying to lose it again, I'm really struggling despite a similar diet and exercise.. The correct balance just isn't there.

Also, weight loss isn't a mathematical thing. Sometimes you can have a brill week, eat right, exercise a lot, and not lose weight. Sometimes you can have a bad week, eat poor and not really exercise, still lose weight. I think that your body seems to reflect your diet/exercise regime two weeks ago, rather than the day before. Seems to fit in some of the quirks of weight loss I found.

lauzjp
08-09-2006, 11:23
Xenical is not recomended to be taken in conjunction with Atkins as it`s a high fat diet.

:dig: that's precisely why i did the atkins diet again (which had previously worked ok for me) and took xenical to get rid of some of the excess fat, i know.. tut tut. won't do it again, i promise! :no:

punky
08-09-2006, 11:31
Xenical is not recomended to be taken in conjunction with Atkins as it`s a high fat diet. Xenical should be taken in conjunction with a low fat diet and as zing has said in this thread the way to lose weight is with a low fat, (some fats are beneficial to good health) calorie controlled diet with exercise. As long as you are taking less calories in than your body needs you are going to lose weight.

That always amuses me. People try and lose weight by replacing carbs with fat. It seems to work, but I hate to think what its doing to their arteries. :erm:

zing_deleted
08-09-2006, 11:38
The mad thing is that it doesnt. Its all something to do with the state of ketosis (what gives you real bad breath atkins follows eat mints man lol )

I think though the fats do make you feel full and heavier peoples basel rate is so high that you can still be on a lower calorie intake to use on atkins.

I would contest that 2200 cals a day as total usage is well low I would say thats not far off the normal basal rate that you burn if you sleep all day.

Below is a screenshot of my basal rate im still over weight at 14.5 stone and 5 foot 8 but you can note that just normal living im burning over 3000 cals and my basal rate is nearly 2000

Salu
08-09-2006, 12:49
:dig: that's precisely why i did the atkins diet again (which had previously worked ok for me) and took xenical to get rid of some of the excess fat, i know.. tut tut. won't do it again, i promise! :no:

As people have mentioned before Xenical shouldn't be taken with the Atkins. As Xenical will block 30% of your fat from absorption you will simply excrete it. You should only take it with a LOW fat diet. You have to have lost some weight initially with out it in order for your doc to precribe it, if I remember correctly...

That always amuses me. People try and lose weight by replacing carbs with fat. It seems to work, but I hate to think what its doing to their arteries. :erm:

Sugar, alcohol and carbs will be used before fat for the body's needs. If you decrease sufficiently/stop these then the body will be forced to use the fat so it won't go on the arteries. You can see this phenomenon in Eskimos and Japanese who have a very high fat/low carb diet and hardly any incidence of heart disease.

The bottom line with weight loss is that you have to use more caleries than you ingest or you will probably gain weight. If you are not losing weight with Orlistat then you probably need to decrease your fat intake even more, although a week is only a very short time (in weight loss and politics) to notice any changes. You need to get rid of the water retention first.

For those who are obese I would say you need to approach weight loss from a different viewpoint. Stop thinking about going on "yet another diet as its got bad again" and start thinking about "changing your patterns of eating forever - today!". You've got to change the equation. Eat too much with too little exercise and you will gain weight. Change your habits and you won't need to diet again. Start thinking about what being "full" is. There's Christmas dinner full and "replete". Start to think about what the difference is. Listen to your stomach and not your taste buds when eating. Eating less over time will allow your stomach to shrink making it fuller quicker. It's the little things that count. Use the stairs rather than lifts at every opportunity etc. Walk rather than drive etc.

Otherwise you will always be on or off a diet. I'm not meaning to trivialise this, I know it's hard to do but its a slightly different way of looking at it and makes a difference to some...

homealone
08-09-2006, 13:21
<snip>

good points :tu:

The 'number' of Calories in any particular food is found by literally burning it.

One way is to place a known weight of the foodstuff in a water jacketed, sealable vessel (called a bomb), which is filled with pressurised oxygen. The food sample is ignited with an electrical spark & when it has all burnt, the increase in temperature of the water in the jacket is measured.

The Calorie unit (strictly speaking a kilocalorie) used for measuring the energy value of food, can be defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 litre of water by one degree Celcius, so by knowing the weight of the food sample, the volume of the water in the jacket and the increase in temperature of that water, the 'Calorific Value' for that food can be calculated.

What is interesting is that the 'burning' process required to extract energy from the food, when we digest it, is achieved by enzymes, which avoids the problem of excessive heat being generated - but may still result in gas ;)

zing_deleted
09-09-2006, 21:07
Found an older pic the before is a little over a year ago I got heavier before I dieted

Salu
09-09-2006, 21:15
Well done! I bet you feel better for it!

zing_deleted
09-09-2006, 21:15
im half the man I was but feel twice the man I am lol lol

Jules
09-09-2006, 21:29
You look lovely in both Zing :)

zing_deleted
09-09-2006, 21:33
noooooooooooo the first pic im a whale lol

Jules
09-09-2006, 22:03
No you are not :(

Salu
09-09-2006, 22:14
What's the thing growing out of your head in the first picture? Did you manage to get it removed OK>?

;)

zing_deleted
09-09-2006, 22:15
its a lamp it took half my brain with it when I removed it which is good for you lot cuz with half a brain you lot stand a chance ;)

Tinky
10-09-2006, 08:23
You have done very well Zing, give yourself a pat on the back, keep it up! (the diet I mean)........now, now!

Nidge
10-09-2006, 10:21
Found an older pic the before is a little over a year ago I got heavier before I dieted

Thats some change there mate, well done, now comes the hardest part in keeping it off. I'm sure with a good diet you'll be able to do it.

zing_deleted
10-09-2006, 10:33
still wanna lose another 2 stone yet :)

Tinky
10-09-2006, 10:38
So what would be a typical day's/week's menu? How long do you think it will take you to lose the 2 stones? Do you do any exercise?

zing_deleted
10-09-2006, 10:54
fruit smoothie or toast in the am
fish toast or something light and healthy for lunch
chicken breast in some kinda sauce mushrooms rice/pasta for dinner
as much fruit as I want to snack on
and a couple of weightwatchers or asda equvilent fromage frais or yogurts as a snack
im only losing a couple of pound a week now slowed it right down and im walking and doing some weight training and cycling :)

Tinky
10-09-2006, 11:06
What about alchohol intake?

zing_deleted
10-09-2006, 11:09
think ive drunk about half litre of voddie in total since feb

pedantic
10-09-2006, 11:16
think ive drunk about half litre of voddie in total since feb

I had that last night ! :erm:

TheNorm
20-09-2006, 08:40

By my reckoning you are entering the third week of treatment. How is it going?

Saaf_laandon_mo
20-09-2006, 09:47
You look lovely in both Zing :)

No he doesn't.... In the first he looks over weight and unattractive, while the second he looks good. I have a few friends who never addressed their weight issue because other people didnt want to upset them and tyell them they look fat and horrible. Instead to be PC or not hurtful to their feelings we say they look fine.

Sometimes its cruel to be kind but it has the desired effect.

zing_deleted
20-09-2006, 11:40
No he doesn't.... In the first he looks over weight and unattractive, while the second he looks good. I have a few friends who never addressed their weight issue because other people didnt want to upset them and tyell them they look fat and horrible. Instead to be PC or not hurtful to their feelings we say they look fine.

Thank you I think ;)

Saaf_laandon_mo
20-09-2006, 11:58
It was a compliment honest...... You've done real good to lose all that weight. Just out of curiosity how did you get to put on so much?

I have a friend who must be about 4 stone overweight and I think he's just resigned himself to staying that way even though his health is suffering. He doesnt help himself by what he eats, but he has never explained why he can't be bothered to try and sort himself out.

zing_deleted
20-09-2006, 13:10
I just ate to much drunk to much and didnt care at all

Salu
20-09-2006, 13:27

For a second I thought you were going to say "In the first he looks over weight and unattractive, while the second he's certainly lost weight......."

:) ;)

Jules
20-09-2006, 16:37

I was not being kind or trying not to upset him I was being honest, in my opinion he looks good in both pictures. Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder and unless you are looking through my eyes you don't know what I behold so to speak lol.

Tinky
21-09-2006, 08:16
By my reckoning you are entering the third week of treatment. How is it going?

Hi Norm, thanks for asking.
Yes it is the third week like you say, but I haven't lost a single ounce. Zenical is not the answer, although the idea behind it is good. TBH I haven't dieted, i.e. counted the calories, but I have tried to exercise a bit more. If I tape up my mouth for the next week, before I see the Doc, he might be willing to help with say appetite suppressants:Yikes: HAS ANYONE HAD THESE?