PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in ghosts?

Tinky
05-09-2006, 10:22
We had the Mother-in-law come to stay for a few days, she slept in the spare bedroom. In the morning she said that she had woken in the middle of the night and saw a little girl standing by the bed, when the girl was asked who she was, she disappeared. Needless to say that's one bedroom I won't be sleeping in. My Grandmother's house had some very strange and unexplained happenings there too, like lights being switched back on after we had left a room, and the sound of someone with a walking stick, wearing slippers, shuffling through the lobby.:Yikes: Anyone else had similar experiences?

bopdude
05-09-2006, 12:56
We had the Mother-in-law come to stay for a few days, she slept in the spare bedroom. In the morning she said that she had woken in the middle of the night and saw a little girl standing by the bed, when the girl was asked who she was, she disappeared. Needless to say that's one bedroom I won't be sleeping in. My Grandmother's house had some very strange and unexplained happenings there too, like lights being switched back on after we had left a room, and the sound of someone with a walking stick, wearing slippers, shuffling through the lobby.:Yikes: Anyone else had similar experiences?

Quiet a few have, try the search feature.... here's one (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=20986&highlight=ghosts) thread to start with

Jules
05-09-2006, 12:56
Yes I believe :)

dilli-theclaw
05-09-2006, 13:01
No I don't believe in ghosts and yes I've had a similar experience.

TheBlueRaja
05-09-2006, 13:13
I woke up as a kid once after watching gremlins on the telly during the night to find a gremlin in the room sitting on a small silver bucket which then proceded to turn round and look at me before dissapearing.

Moral of the story - dont watch Gremlins before bedtime. Oh - and ghosts dont exist - its just your mind playing tricks on you.

Steve H
05-09-2006, 13:25
I woke up as a kid once after watching gremlins on the telly during the night to find a gremlin in the room sitting on a small silver bucket which then proceded to turn round and look at me before dissapearing.

Moral of the story - dont watch Gremlins before bedtime. Oh - and ghosts dont exist - its just your mind playing tricks on you.

Woo! I've finally found someone who knows the meaning of life... care to explain it to me?

Don't write something off just because you can't contemplate it.

Russ
05-09-2006, 13:31
We did an outside broadcast from a reputedly haunted castle 2 years ago and the show's psychic was there to try and "make contact". I was uncomfortable with the goings-on so when I wasn't needed I stuck to the other side of the hall where we were placed. Looking out of the bay windows I saw a woman staring at me with a really sad face - she looked extremely upset.

Feeling a bit surprised at why a stranger would be looking at me like that, I stared back at her - and she disappeared. One moment she was about 10 feet away from me, the next she was gone. My jeans took on a slightly darker colour at the back as I ran back to the others, I spoke to to the psychic to tell her what I saw. She asked "was the woman dressed in all white with long straight hair?" I said he was and asked how she knew.

"Because she's standing next to you".

Talk about 'squeeky bum time'.

TheBlueRaja
05-09-2006, 13:35
Woo! I've finally found someone who knows the meaning of life... care to explain it to me?

Yes - your going mentally insane.

Hugh
05-09-2006, 13:59
I don't believe in ghosts - I put my faith in spirits (single malts, cognac, calvados, mmmmmmm, yummy!)

budwieser
05-09-2006, 22:09
I believe in Ghosts. I know.;)

Stuart
05-09-2006, 22:56
We used to have a shop in the New Covent Carden market (note: the one in Wandsworth, not near the Strand). The shop was inside one of the market buildings, and had windows all along one side and along the front. My dad was just walking past, ready to open up. He saw a young soldier, in an old Uniform, standing insde the shop, facing the cash register.

Thinking someone had broken in (obviously in fancy dress), he unlocked the door, ran in, looked around and saw nothing.

Then, the alarm went off. Dad was furious. Not only did he have to explain to Market Security why he had set the alarm off, but he had to pay a £50 call out fee to the alarm company to get them to send an engineer out to reset the alarm (this was years before alarms that had pin numbers).

As it turned out, up until the sixties, when the New Covent Garden Market was built, it was a railway yard, and soldiers who died in one of the wars (the second, IIRC) were buried near there.

timewarrior2001
05-09-2006, 23:07
I believe, i've seen and I've felt things.

I've been hounded and terrified and I have felt completely relaxed.

I felt good and I've felt very very bad.
Am I special? nah, but I do have psychics in the family.

Damien
05-09-2006, 23:12
I think its the mind playing a number of tricks. Its sounds unlikely but the mind is VERY powerful. When you consider your mind processes information before you know it then its also very likely. Ghosts never interact with the world nor can more than one person see one at once, both of which suggest its the mind.

timewarrior2001
05-09-2006, 23:16
I think its the mind playing a number of tricks. Its sounds unlikely but the mind is VERY powerful. When you consider your mind processes information before you know it then its also very likely.

yeah I used to think the same too, but how can the mind play tricks on facts that can be verified and happened before your life began? In a building you have never been in before and did not know was haunted?

Damien
05-09-2006, 23:59
yeah I used to think the same too, but how can the mind play tricks on facts that can be verified and happened before your life began? In a building you have never been in before and did not know was haunted?

Not to sure what you mean, but on the topic of 'facts that can be verified' then it is very likely that you already knew these facts? Your brain colllects information passively. People who are trained can get you to recall many odd, bizarre information you never knew that you knew.

So you see, hear, read information and then your mind plays it out in front of you.

Pia
06-09-2006, 00:06
You've got an interesting point Damien, i'm open minded about all that sort of stuff ghosts and supernatural, as i said in my recent thread about psychics.

But i've always been prone to thinking the same as you.

Macca371
06-09-2006, 00:15
Nah I don't believe at all.

Damien
06-09-2006, 00:25
Its a matter of what exactly do you mean as Ghost? If you are talking about a sprit then no, all science and common sense suggests it is not possible. Where does the energy come from? Why do they take human form? Souls dont exist in a physical sense, maybe in a spritual sense...

The fact ghosts appear in a form reconisible to humans right away, displays emotions in a human way shows it must be a trick of the mind. It is displaying something your brain understands. Some people see dead relatives as ghosts, again enforces the idea its the brain (because the personality and sprit of a person remains in the mind of those who remember them, which is the only way a soul can survive since it is a being of emotion and personality not a physical object).

So i think ghosts exist but only in the mind of the person who sees it, that makes it sound like a "they are faking it remark" but it is not. They exist, and they are made out of the memory, information or emotion in the viewers head.

Like i said before, it depends what you mean by "believe in ghosts"

Kliro
06-09-2006, 01:47
There're a lot of things science has 'disproved' that turn out to actually be true.

I'm not sure whether or not I believe in them - but in some cases where the exact same thing is seen by two people.....does make you think.

Damien
06-09-2006, 07:33
There're a lot of things science has 'disproved' that turn out to actually be true.

I'm not sure whether or not I believe in them - but in some cases where the exact same thing is seen by two people.....does make you think.

Do you have recent examples (last 100 years or so)? The exact same thing being seen by two people is usually done at different times, so the image they see was already mentioned elsewhere....

TheBlueRaja
06-09-2006, 09:17
Im still waiting for ANY ghost facts to be "verified", while your at it could you try and verify the existance of God too?

TheNorm
06-09-2006, 10:02
Im still waiting for ANY ghost facts to be "verified", while your at it could you try and verify the existance of God too?

With so many people carrying camera-phones you think it would only be a matter of time before someone gets a picture and posts it to the web.

As for God - this is a matter of faith. "Verification" is meaningless.

arcamalpha2004
06-09-2006, 10:33
I think there are things that cannot be explained rationally, so yep I would say I believe.
In the town I was brought up as a kid it was said that the land the houses were built on were cursed by the farmers whom the land belonged.
Anyway, a couple of things that come to mind that reinforce my belief, as a child while sleeping in a room that only contained me I would be laying facing the wall and would periodically feel the mattress lift at the corners and feel the blanket being tucked in, you know that feeling you get when you're being tucked into bed as a kid.
I did not have the nerve to turn around and look, was just frozen in fright.
When I mentioned this to my mum the following morning she said I must have been imagining, and said nobody had come into my room during the night.
Another one, a lad who was dating my sister would regularly sprint up the stairs before he left for home of a night before leaving our house for his.
One night we were sat there, heard him sprint up the stairs then let out a shriek before coming down them in about two steps!
He said he had seen the figure of a bloke stood at the top of the stairs as he turned to climb the second set of stairs.
Everyone who was in the house at the time, apart from my sisters boyfriend at the time were in the sitting room watching tv.
To sum up how I feel, to the believer no proof is needed, to the sceptic, no proof is enough.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

I think its the mind playing a number of tricks. Its sounds unlikely but the mind is VERY powerful. When you consider your mind processes information before you know it then its also very likely. Ghosts never interact with the world nor can more than one person see one at once, both of which suggest its the mind.

How can the following be explained?
One night while watching tv I am sat near the living room window, the volume is fairly low given that the rest of the family are asleep.
It is around 2.30 in the morning, out of nowhere I hear horses hooves on the road outside, forgetting for a moment what time it is, the question then strikes me " who is out on a horse 2.30 in the morning?"
I did not tell anyone what I had heard, deciding to put it down to one of those things.
About three months later in conversation, without mentioning what I had experienced, my 21 year old son pipes up about an exact experience that he had one night while watching tv, the two recollections were exactly the same.
I know the human brain is very complex, but can it be so complex as to pass an experience from one brain to another?

Kliro
06-09-2006, 12:52
Do you have recent examples (last 100 years or so)? The exact same thing being seen by two people is usually done at different times, so the image they see was already mentioned elsewhere....

Jah, scientists strongly believed there was no chance of life living within or around black smokers, due to the incredibly high temp.

But there is quite a diverse ecology around them.

Damien
06-09-2006, 13:01
How can the following be explained?
One night while watching tv I am sat near the living room window, the volume is fairly low given that the rest of the family are asleep.
It is around 2.30 in the morning, out of nowhere I hear horses hooves on the road outside, forgetting for a moment what time it is, the question then strikes me " who is out on a horse 2.30 in the morning?"
I did not tell anyone what I had heard, deciding to put it down to one of those things.
About three months later in conversation, without mentioning what I had experienced, my 21 year old son pipes up about an exact experience that he had one night while watching tv, the two recollections were exactly the same.
I know the human brain is very complex, but can it be so complex as to pass an experience from one brain to another?

Its a very common 'ghost' experance horses though. How many cartoons/movies are there with a victorian type road haunted by a headless horse man for example?

Stuart
06-09-2006, 13:01
With so many people carrying camera-phones you think it would only be a matter of time before someone gets a picture and posts it to the web.

As for God - this is a matter of faith. "Verification" is meaningless.

They may well have, but people have seen so many fakes that they tend not to believe the photos.

Damien
06-09-2006, 13:04
Jah, scientists strongly believed there was no chance of life living within or around black smokers, due to the incredibly high temp.

But there is quite a diverse ecology around them.

Maybe but people also used to think the weather came from different gods (some still do). Also bad science is only ever debunked by other science. Science evolves, Supernatrual beliefs do not. Whats more they get proven wrong over and over again.

Science has been wrong sometimes and does not know all the answers. But most of the time it is not wrong and they know a lot of answers and keep searching.

Kliro
06-09-2006, 13:05
But how can it disprove something it can't comprehend?

orangebird
06-09-2006, 13:09
Maybe but people also used to think the weather came from different gods (some still do). Also bad science is only ever debunked by other science. Science evolves, Supernatrual beliefs do not. Whats more they get proven wrong over and over again.

Science has been wrong sometimes and does not know all the answers. But most of the time it is not wrong and they know a lot of answers and keep searching.

Am I missing something? What bit of research disproved the existance of ghosts?

I personally would have to see one to be believe in them, but I certainly don't disbelieve anyone who says they've seen one.

Damien
06-09-2006, 13:10
it can show a lack on energy, or show their are no scientific reasons for ghosts. Science does not need to comprehend the extistance of ghosts because to do that it would need to know they exist.

Why do you think a lot of ghoses are similer to sterotypes and take on forms/sounds people already know?

danielf
06-09-2006, 13:11
But how can it disprove something it can't comprehend?

Much like with deities, it can't really disprove it, but that has to do with the vaguaries of the concepts of ghosts/god. It can however, provide rational alternative explanations. As an example, do a google for 'old hag' and 'sleep paralysis'

Damien
06-09-2006, 13:11
Am I missing something? What bit of research disproved the existance of ghosts?

I personally would have to see one to be believe in them, but I certainly don't disbelieve anyone who says they've seen one.

Lots of science shows no evidance for ghosts and a lot of support to show they are tricks of the mind.

I belive people have seen them, but i think it was the brain doing it.

orangebird
06-09-2006, 13:13
it can show a lack on energy, or show their are no scientific reasons for ghosts. Science does not need to comprehend the extistance of ghosts because to do that it would need to know they exist.

Why do you think a lot of ghoses are similer to sterotypes and take on forms/sounds people already know?

You usually post so comprehensively, but that is the biggest pile of tripe I've seen today on here (apart from the one man tv license hater band).

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Lots of science shows no evidance for ghosts and a lot of support to show they are tricks of the mind.

I belive people have seen them, but i think it was the brain doing it.

Sorry, what constitutes as evidence that ghosts don't exist?

Damien
06-09-2006, 13:18
it shows no evidance that they do exist i said. As well as a lot showing it is a issue with the mind

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

What about when people claim they can see ghosts in rooms filled with people and only they can see it? What do you think the reason behiind that is?

TheDaddy
06-09-2006, 13:20
Its a very common 'ghost' experance horses though. How many cartoons/movies are there with a victorian type road haunted by a headless horse man for example?

I seem to remember that the 'headless horsemen' were infact smugglers trying to scare people away whilst they were carrying out their activities.

orangebird
06-09-2006, 13:21
it shows no evidance that they do exist i said. As well as a lot showing it is a issue with the mind

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

What about when people claim they can see ghosts in rooms filled with people and only they can see it? What do you think the reason behiind that is?

Because only they have the capability to 'see'? I believe this kind of occurance is down to having a 'gift' or an 'ability'.

Damien
06-09-2006, 13:30
Well I think its adds more weight to the 'mind' explaination.

But, Its like Religion really. Science cant 100% disapprove something if the something is so vague and hard to pin down. I am not too fussed with way, people can belive in it. I dont but there ya go.

Kliro
06-09-2006, 13:31
But a lot of the focus of scientists is upon something material which is wholly pointless if there is no material per se.

Secondly - stereotypes mostoften stem from truth or variants of it, so it wouldn't be all too impossible for people to be seeing variations of the same thing.

I am aware of physical factors accounting for some of the 'phenonomen' such as noises being made by themal expansion/comrpession, eddies causing large temperature variations etc. So I could understand two people feeling the same way in one of these situations whilst not in the presence of anything.

There is still nothing scientific or otherwise to explain the sighting of the exact same thing by two or more people, when they are unaware of what they are 'meant' to see. And therein lies my doubt.

danielf
06-09-2006, 13:42
<snip>

There is still nothing scientific or otherwise to explain the sighting of the exact same thing by two or more people, when they are unaware of what they are 'meant' to see. And therein lies my doubt.

Did you do that google on the 'old hag'? It's a very good example of a physical phenomenon leading to people experiencing very similar perceptions of a (fairly stereotypical) supernatural presence. Therein lies the rub imo. People may not be aware of what they are meant to see, but what they claim to see is often very stereotypical/conforms to what people have been describing earlier. Aliens tend to have large heads with very big eyes etc. When the mind plays tricks on you, it does not (necessarily) do it in random ways. This is the stuff that Darren Brown uses (and he does not keep that a secret).

Macca371
06-09-2006, 23:07
But a lot of the focus of scientists is upon something material which is wholly pointless if there is no material per se.

Secondly - stereotypes mostoften stem from truth or variants of it, so it wouldn't be all too impossible for people to be seeing variations of the same thing.

I am aware of physical factors accounting for some of the 'phenonomen' such as noises being made by themal expansion/comrpession, eddies causing large temperature variations etc. So I could understand two people feeling the same way in one of these situations whilst not in the presence of anything.

Get back on the scientist side of the fence - you'll be a geologist soon :p:

Orior
06-09-2006, 23:51
"I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do"

Name that film?

PS. I dont believe in ghosts

Jules
07-09-2006, 16:10
Was it rent a ghost? (I really hated that programe!)

arcamalpha2004
10-09-2006, 13:46

Quite a few but our estate is not victorian :erm:
If you're suggesting its down to imagination write me down 6 numbers for this weeks draw and I will see if I can replicate them ;)

pedantic
10-09-2006, 14:03
"I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do, I do believe in ghosts, I do I do I do I do I do"

Name that film?

PS. I dont believe in ghosts

Wasn't that from The Wizard Of Oz ?

lauzjp
10-09-2006, 14:22
my grandad and my dad used to haunt me. ghosts scare me cos I think 'I shouldn't be seeing you, it's just my mind' and yet there they are...

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

has anyone on here been to clophill? I've seen a ghost there, at least I think she's a ghost.. once when I went there with a couple of mates, we walked past this little old lady. she said 'are you going up to the ruins' and I replied yes, then she said 'tell your mum I'm sorry about your dad, but he's ok now' I was shocked and we walked on up to the ruins, where we saw the same little old lady walk in to the main bit of the old church ruins and disappear. then a young girl (ghost) appeared out of nowhere, skipping through the children's graveyard next door to the ruins. needless to say there are countless spooky things afoot in clophill. :disturbd:

AntiSilence
10-09-2006, 15:57
No, I don't believe in ghosts. But I do believe in spirits... I like rum, vodka and Jack Daniels! Seriously, no. I don't believe in any of it. I don't believe in things like breaking a mirror is bad luck or 'psychics' either. It's all tosh (my opinion; and I don't mean the CID guy from The Bill!!! LOL).