PDA

View Full Version : ntl digital thru a TV card

badnbusy
14-12-2003, 16:13
Hi guys :)

Here is my current setup:

Digital TV downstairs - living room
Cable modem upstairs - near PC

I have just bought a TV card for this PC. I am now looking to get ntl's tv service onto my computer via the TV card. I know that I can just buy another box from ntl, but I do not need this, I just want to watch the same channel as what's on downstairs :)

So what I would like to know is....

What would i need to be able to watch TV on my computer? Is there something like a "TV-link" equivalent of Sky, so I can use the remote control upstairs too?

And how would i run a co-ax cable to the upstairs PC?

Thanks for the help,
James

Proppinupthebar
14-12-2003, 17:16
Does the card have a composite video in, or just RF?
If it will take composite video then the easiest way to do it would be to use a wireless video sender. You can get them to send back the IR commands back down to the STB but Im not sure if any of them work with the Bromley STBs.

badnbusy
14-12-2003, 17:20
Just RF in unfortunately. What next

Proppinupthebar
14-12-2003, 18:28
OK then you will to run coax from your STB to your PC card. You wont be able to get stereo sound from your PC tho as the RF connection is mono only.
Not sure about the remote control tho.

Tricky
14-12-2003, 18:50

The AEI Videosender available at Argos for about £80
You can purchase a Composite to RF Converter (I have one and it works fine - damn TV's without SCART sockets!)
Scart Convertor (http://www.easylife.co.uk/servlet/EasyLifeB?affiliateId=naei01&M_section=catalogue&command=productdetail&product=MOD01PIS)

Proppinupthebar
14-12-2003, 18:57
The AEI Videosender available at Argos for about £80
You can purchase a Composite to RF Converter (I have one and it works fine - damn TV's without SCART sockets!)
Scart Convertor (http://www.easylife.co.uk/servlet/EasyLifeB?affiliateId=naei01&M_section=catalogue&command=productdetail&product=MOD01PIS)

This would save you having to run the coax round the house!
You can get a digisender/reciever for about 50 quid.

Tricky
14-12-2003, 19:09
This would save you having to run the coax round the house!
You can get a digisender/reciever for about 50 quid.

You can probably find the converter cheaper than £20 also - I would try maplins or something...

badnbusy
14-12-2003, 21:16
cheers :)

badnbusy
21-12-2003, 18:32
Hi guys! Actually, my card HAS "s-video" and "composite" (the yellow one) in. Whats the best way to connect my STB, which is downstairs, to my PC. :)

Proppinupthebar
21-12-2003, 18:36
Hi guys! Actually, my card HAS "s-video" and "composite" (the yellow one) in. Whats the best way to connect my STB, which is downstairs, to my PC. :)

You just need the wireless video sender downstairs and the reciever upstairs. Plug the reciever into the composite in of the PC card, along witht the audio. Video sender can be fed from scart or phono outputs from STB. Only trouble with this method is you are stuck with whatever aspect ratio the downstairs STB is set to.

Proppinupthebar
21-12-2003, 18:58
One other thing. If your'e using a wireless PC network then you will have to be a bit careful which channel you set up the video sender (they have 4 channels). My wireless network interferes with my cameras picture.

badnbusy
22-12-2003, 22:24
Thanks for the help!

Will this wireless system be perfect? I.E. will there be no dropped frames or laggy processing?

My TV card has:

- Coax input
- SVideo In
- Composite In
- Audio In (3.5in jack)

I know with this video sender i'll be using the composite connection, but how will i get sound too?

Proppinupthebar
22-12-2003, 22:38
Thanks for the help!

Will this wireless system be perfect? I.E. will there be no dropped frames or laggy processing?

My TV card has:

- Coax input
- SVideo In
- Composite In
- Audio In (3.5in jack)

I know with this video sender i'll be using the composite connection, but how will i get sound too?
You wont get dropped frames or laggy processing as the video sender just modulates the composite video onto a 2.4GHz carrier, theres no processing to speak of. It can be prone to interference, but you have 4 channels to try. For sending round the house its brilliant.
You will need a phono to stereo jack converter to get the sound from the video recievers audio outs. Maplin do them probably 2 quid or so.

badnbusy
22-12-2003, 22:42
Good :)

I found this little device. Would this be good enough?

http://www.tranwo.com/product_htm/product_2020.html

What i plan on doing, for the tranmitter, is using a scart -> 3 phono plugs lead from the STB.

And for the receiver, using the composite out to composite in on my TV card, and getting a phono to stereo jack convertor to transfer the sound to the jack input on the TV card.

Do i make sense?

Cheers :)

badnbusy
22-12-2003, 22:45
this the phono/jack lead i need?:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/28722i0.jpg

or, this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/34196i0.jpg

Proppinupthebar
22-12-2003, 22:49
Yes and yes!! Buy it from Argos and you get the 14 days to try it out.
Maplin do them as well.

Lord Nikon
22-12-2003, 23:34
Either will do the job... but with the bottom one you would need a phono-phono lead also

badnbusy
22-12-2003, 23:37
Yes and yes!! Buy it from Argos and you get the 14 days to try it out.
Maplin do them as well.

Thanks! Just bought the Air2200 for a bargain - £39.99 off Maplins!

Also got the 3.5 stereo jack to 2xphono audio lead. Looks like i'm all set when they arrive :)

Anything i can do to get the ntl remote control to work from upstairs also?

Tristan
23-12-2003, 00:41
Bear in mind that video senders aren't the only devices to use the 2.4GHz band, although they tend to be the most powerful, and will quite possibly kill a nearby wireless network...

badnbusy
23-12-2003, 00:44
Im in a detached house, and have no other wireless equipment :)

I'll just hope :)

asdf
23-12-2003, 00:49
The video senders work perfectly for between upstairs and downstairs on an ntl digibox. Top quality products they are ;)

badnbusy
23-12-2003, 12:58
The video senders work perfectly for between upstairs and downstairs on an ntl digibox. Top quality products they are ;)

Yes, but the manufacturer states the ntl remote control will not work :(

coolea96
31-12-2003, 12:05
I am reading this with interest...

2 questions

1) is it at possible to hook the tv signal into a WIFI network ? my box is downstairs... pc is upsatirs I already have a wirless network !!

2) the house has a number of tv sockets around the place can i pump the NTL signal into this

thanks

26-01-2004, 17:21
Yes, but the manufacturer states the ntl remote control will not work :(
badnbusy - I'm looking to do the same thing (but with a wireless network too). Did the kit you ordered work?

Thanks.