PDA

View Full Version : DIY - Advice Required

Graham M
04-09-2006, 12:45
Hi, I replaced our Bathroom Extractor fan for one of the same range yesterday because the motor had burnt out on the old one, and on taking the old one down, I noticed that the 2 screws holding one side of the Fan Up (and the Plugs holding them in place) had come loose, on taking down the unit's mounting plate I found that the plasterboard ceiling has become badly chewed up behind the Base Plate where several fans have been secured over the passed few years, anyway I've put it all back in place for now and it's working but I want to re-secure it so I was wondering if it would be suitable to get a square of Plywood or similar larger than the base of the fan and enough to get a good grip on the ceiling, cut a hole through the middle and screw the fan onto the board.

Answers on the back of a Postcard :)

bopdude
04-09-2006, 12:50
You could do it that way, or maybe put the plywood above the ceiling, screw it through the plaster board upover where you can get a good fixing and the touch up paint around the screw heads, you then won't see the ply / screws or hole as the fan will coverthe old hole......................... if I understood you right :tu:

Graham M
04-09-2006, 13:02
Yep that's another way to think about Bop, thanks, anyone else?

Graham M
04-09-2006, 15:24
:bump: :)`

punky
04-09-2006, 15:26
A fan isn't too heavy is it? I'd probably just put polyfilla or plaster in there, which you can then screw into once dry.

A plywood plymth as you say... Will do the job but its more hassle and the fan casing will sit away from the wall.

edit: blimey, less than 2.5 hours between bumps, you're keen aren't you? :erm:

Graham M
04-09-2006, 15:29
Yeah sorry, I just wanna get it out of the way :) The fan is on teh ceiling, not the wall which is why i suggested it as it'll carry more weight imo than patched up plasterboard

TheNorm
04-09-2006, 17:09
I always try to get at least one screw through a joist, to avoid a mess such as you've described. It does mean that the fan might be off-centre, though.

Graham M
04-09-2006, 17:17
This is what I have planned to do now I think.

Jules
04-09-2006, 17:32
As it is an Extractor fan should it not be fitted on a outside wall :confused:

Graham M
04-09-2006, 17:47
Nope

punky
04-09-2006, 18:27
As it is an Extractor fan should it not be fitted on a outside wall :confused:

That's what I thought... Well you don't have to, but it makes sense. Are you just pumping the air into your attic then?

Anyway, yeah, what you've planned is sound. Spreads the weight well which helps. I'd go with it.

Graham M
04-09-2006, 18:31
That's what I thought... Well you don't have to, but it makes sense. Are you just pumping the air into your attic then?

Anyway, yeah, what you've planned is sound. Spreads the weight well which helps. I'd go with it.

Our bathroom has no outside wall which means no Window either, the Extractor fan, has, for 15 odd years been blowing the hot, wet air into some drain pipe in the attic that terminates by a vent to the outside, I am going to be replacing this with some proper flexible tubing this week, i'll get all the work done at once.

bopdude
04-09-2006, 18:33

Nope, not at all, you get the attic extractor kits and vent them out of the eaves ( if you want to the job right ;) ) basically just a length /s of 4 1/2" flexi duct that goes from the back of your fan onto the grill on the eaves.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

EDIT: must type faster, spot on Zeph :tu:

punky
04-09-2006, 18:34
Our bathroom has no outside wall which means no Window either, the Extractor fan, has, for 15 odd years been blowing the hot, wet air into some drain pipe in the attic that terminates by a vent to the outside, I am going to be replacing this with some proper flexible tubing this week, i'll get all the work done at once.

:doh: Yeah. Best of luck with it.

Jules
04-09-2006, 18:35
Ok that makes sense I just had visions of a damp area forming from the moist air, but if you are venting it (like a tumble dryer I guess) then it makes perfect sense :)

timewarrior2001
04-09-2006, 21:47
No more nails :D

Graham M
04-09-2006, 21:51
No more nails :D

That's exactly what you get when you try and pull it off :)