PDA

View Full Version : Dr's Signature (Price)

dilli-theclaw
31-08-2006, 19:05
I was just told that it would cost me £15 for my doctor to sign my application for a disabled persons bus pass by the receptionist at the dr's surgery.

Does this amount seem right? and is there any way I could get this signiature for free?

I can't make an appointment JUST to get one without paying up.

Cheers in advance - Dilli.

MadGamer
31-08-2006, 19:08
Well id go back and ask for the reason why its going to cost £15 just to get a doctor to sign it. I think thats just daylight robbery though.

MovedGoalPosts
31-08-2006, 19:40
I suspect it's seen as non core NHS GP services. Time is money as they say. Does sound a lot, but you are in catch 22 situation. You need the siggy, so you have to pay whatever they want. Maybe though there is some way of claiming it back?

Paul K
31-08-2006, 19:44
I got charged that 8 years ago for a passport signature.... then he took my BP and weight so that he could get paid for an appointment too. Cheeky git.

dilli-theclaw
31-08-2006, 19:49
I suspect it's seen as non core NHS GP services. Time is money as they say. Does sound a lot, but you are in catch 22 situation. You need the siggy, so you have to pay whatever they want. Maybe though there is some way of claiming it back?MMMmmm now there's a thought - maybe the job centre will pay for it, they've got to be good for SOMETHING surely.

TheBlueRaja
31-08-2006, 20:32
I recently got charged 24 quid so he could fill out the back of my Insurace claim as i missed a holiday due to Glandular Fever.

Took all of 10 minutes.

lauzjp
31-08-2006, 21:56
maybe you could get the form signed by someone else? does it have to be a doctor? if the dss are aware of your disability then they could perhaps intervene, alternatively you could ask them for the dosh... i would! if you don't ask - you don't get...

dilli-theclaw
31-08-2006, 21:59
maybe you could get the form signed by someone else? does it have to be a doctor? if the dss are aware of your disability then they could perhaps intervene, alternatively you could ask them for the dosh... i would! if you don't ask - you don't get...I either have to send a copy of my disability card (which I don't have yet) - or get a doctor to sign the form.

I will ask the job centre tomorrow.

Cheers for your input guys :)

dilli-theclaw
01-09-2006, 10:37
I went back this morning and moaned about it and pointed out that the socoal services don't charge for their stamp and told me it should be free, Anyway the receptionist said to 'leave it with me and I'll see what I can do'.... So I'll wait and see I guess.

Flobajob
01-09-2006, 10:55
I went back this morning and moaned about it and pointed out that the socoal services don't charge for their stamp and told me it should be free, Anyway the receptionist said to 'leave it with me and I'll see what I can do'.... So I'll wait and see I guess.

I had to get a fitness to drive certificate signed last week to renew my license, the DVLA sent a claim for for the doctor to request the fee directly from them and not to charge the patient but the receptionist still insisted that I had to pay a tenner and wait for at least 2 weeks for it to be signed. A swift phonecall to the head of the practice when I got home soon got it resolved and I was able to pick up the form that afternoon and not pay a penny.

Salu
01-09-2006, 11:04
A GP is entitled to charge for these services as far as I understand but they don't have to. There are things they are not allowed to charge for under the new GMS (General Medical Services) contract though. (See link below. I don't know if it will work if you aren't a member or have an NHS IP address but have a go..)

I don't think there is any guidance on how much to charge so you could try other GPs, however I don't think £15 is too steep. A solicitor wouldn't let you get away with that much would they.... ;)

Hopefully you'll get somewhere with SS...?

http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/focusprivatepractice0604

dilli-theclaw
01-09-2006, 12:08
A GP is entitled to charge for these services as far as I understand but they don't have to. There are things they are not allowed to charge for under the new GMS (General Medical Services) contract though. (See link below. I don't know if it will work if you aren't a member or have an NHS IP address but have a go..)

I don't think there is any guidance on how much to charge so you could try other GPs, however I don't think £15 is too steep. A solicitor wouldn't let you get away with that much would they.... ;)

Hopefully you'll get somewhere with SS...?

http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/focusprivatepractice0604 I'll have to wait and see what they say I guess, I sign on next week and if I get no where I'll ask the job centre.

The link worked cheers.

Incidentally I did have to get the local solicitor to sign some stuff for me the other month and that was £5 a time.

Cheers for your help - Dilli :):tu:

Salu
01-09-2006, 13:35
Incidentally I did have to get the local solicitor to sign some stuff for me the other month and that was £5 a time.

Cheers for your help - Dilli :):tu:

Tell us his name.....!

dilli-theclaw
01-09-2006, 13:44
Tell us his name.....!

woodfine Leeds Smith - Sandy

TheDaddy
01-09-2006, 14:01
Tell us his name.....!

I think most solicitors charge £5 to witness/ sign documents ;)

Nidge
01-09-2006, 14:44
When I was on the cabs we used to have a medical every 3 years, when I used to go to the doctor he used to say do you want a cheap one or an expensive one? Expensive one was when you paid by cheque, a cheap one is when you paid by cash:D :D :D I allways had a cheap one at £15:D

dilli-theclaw
04-09-2006, 15:34
The did try to charge me the full £15 - but after a moan I got it down to £5 :)

Ramrod
04-09-2006, 15:51
I don't think there is any guidance on how much to charge so you could try other GPs, however I don't think £15 is too steep. A solicitor wouldn't let you get away with that much would they.... ;)But GPs are funded by tax, all their services should be free.....

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

The did try to charge me the full £15 - but after a moan I got it down to £5 :)Nice one! But imo you shouldn't have had to pay anything! :mad:

.......I don't charge anything for sick notes and I'm a private practitioner! :rolleyes:

Stuart
04-09-2006, 15:53
Nice one! But imo you shouldn't have had to pay anything! :mad:

.......I don't charge anything for sick notes and I'm a private practitioner! :rolleyes:

After all, it only takes a couple of minutes to sign something..

Ramrod
04-09-2006, 15:56
After all, it only takes a couple of minutes to sign something..Absolutely! It's taking the mick in cases like Dillis..... (but in the case of a sick note I have to provide a diagnosis as well....and I still don't charge)

superbiatch
04-09-2006, 16:04
Its a highly lucrative business these days to be a GP - its more of a business than a service. They even have a contract that they work to under the NHS.

£15 is standard price for a signature, altho they can choose to waiver it.

lauzjp
04-09-2006, 16:05
Ramrod, you should have a halo - let alone pips and stars!

Ramrod
04-09-2006, 16:28
Ramrod, you should have a halo I'm starting to feel like I should! :rolleyes:
I don't see a problem with GP's charging for letters to insurance companies and such like ( not that I do) but they shouldn't really charge for things like this.......

Salu
04-09-2006, 16:58
But GPs are funded by tax, all their services should be free.....

All their contractual services are funded yes but this is not a contractual service but an additional one hence the GP has the option to a) offer this service and b) charge for it. I agree with the moral stance you take but either this GP doesn't or the process has been governed by a pre-defined administrational process rather than individually. Presumably the reduction of charge was due to an understanding compassion from a member of staff etc...?

However he is within his rights...I suppose it depends on how many per day he has to do as to whether he charges and how much.

Ramrod
04-09-2006, 17:16
All their contractual services are funded yes but this is not a contractual service but an additional one hence the GP has the option to a) offer this service and b) charge for it.
Thats sneaky.......I suppose we had better watch what other services GP's are contractually obliged (or not) to offer lest we suddenly find ourselves having to pay for various bits and pieces during a consultation"......"blood test? yep, we do those on the nhs but you have to buy your own needles, just a tenner a pack!".....:disturbd:

Bill C
04-09-2006, 17:45
Ramrod, you should have a halo - let alone pips and stars!

And he is bloody good at what he does, I know :tu:

Ramrod
04-09-2006, 17:51
:blush: :D

Salu
04-09-2006, 21:20
Thats sneaky.......I suppose we had better watch what other services GP's are contractually obliged (or not) to offer lest we suddenly find ourselves having to pay for various bits and pieces during a consultation"......"blood test? yep, we do those on the nhs but you have to buy your own needles, just a tenner a pack!".....:disturbd:

You have to remember that the government in their wisdom have made GP practices effectively into businesses. Their whole ethos is about income generation. If a patient needs a heart op then the GP refers into secondary care ie hospital and buy the operation from the Acute Trust, the PCT then pay the bill and reward the GPs for managing the referrals and preventative medicine etc, effectively.

This creates a mindset. Add to that that GPs don't have the private earning potential of some of their colleagues at a hospital and a bigger picture starts to unfold...

Ramrod
05-09-2006, 11:01
You have to remember that the government in their wisdom have made GP practices effectively into businesses. Their whole ethos is about income generation. If a patient needs a heart op then the GP refers into secondary care ie hospital and buy the operation from the Acute Trust, the PCT then pay the bill and reward the GPs for managing the referrals and preventative medicine etc, effectively.

This creates a mindset. Add to that that GPs don't have the private earning potential of some of their colleagues at a hospital and a bigger picture starts to unfold...The point you raise about some GPs not being able to tell the difference between billing a PCT and billing a patient speaks volumes about their caliber.......

Angua
05-09-2006, 11:24
Locally you apply for a Blue Badge to the County Council, the County Council then write to your Dr to confirm the need for the Blue Badge. Total cost IIRC is £3 plus a photograph.

dilli-theclaw
05-09-2006, 11:30
Locally you apply for a Blue Badge to the County Council, the County Council then write to your Dr to confirm the need for the Blue Badge. Total cost IIRC is £3 plus a photograph.Unfortunately (actually fortunately if you look at it properly I guess ;) :)) - I don't qualify for a blue badge, but if I get that bad I'll bear that in mind - cheers :)