PDA

View Full Version : My top 10 list of things I hate about living in 'not so' Great Britain

Sunglasses Ron
30-08-2006, 14:38
1. 'Text speak'....Dis & dat, u no wot I mean, yer ?

2. The cost of living.

3. The 'out of control' immigrant situation.

4. The British justice system- Too soft on paedophiles, murderers, etc.

5. The present government.

6. Living in fear of terrorist attacks.

7. Organic produce costing twice as much as stuff with preservatives, additives, etc.

8. People not cleaning up their dogs **** from the street.

9. The British weather.

10. Lack of respect and common courtesy from some of today's youth.

zing_deleted
30-08-2006, 14:41
to counter

1 Its an easylife
2 nhs I know its troubled but we still have it
3 its an easy life
4 temperate climate so good crops loads of natural produce
5 its an easylife
6 we have relative peace no wars(on our soil anyway)
7 its an easy life
8 no real extremes of weather ie floods hurricanes tornados (i know we have a few
9 its an easy life
10 we are an island thats kept rabies and the germans at bay in the last 100 years

Hugh
30-08-2006, 14:43
to counter
:tu: :clap: :clap: :tu:

Glass half full :)

Sunglasses Ron
30-08-2006, 14:44
to counter

1 Its an easylife
2 nhs I know its troubled but we still have it
3 its an easy life
4 temperate climate so good crops loads of natural praduce
5 its an easylife
6 we have relative peace no wars(on our soil anyway)
7 its an easy life
8 no real extremes of weather ie floods hurricanes tornados (i know we have a few
9 its an easy life
10 we are an island thats kept rabies and the germans at bay in the last 100 years

LOL, (sort of text speak, I know) I have to agree with numbers 2 & 10. :)

TheDaddy
30-08-2006, 14:55
I was e- mailed this recently, you have probably seen it before but I think it sums up our eccentric little island well

Only in Britain... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Britain... do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Britain... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries,and a DIET coke.

Only in Britain... do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Britain... do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Britain... do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

Only in Britain... are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

gazzae
30-08-2006, 14:57
I was e- mailed this recently, you have probably seen it before but I think it sums up our eccentric little island well

Only in Britain... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Britain... do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Britain... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries,and a DIET coke.

Only in Britain... do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Britain... do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Britain... do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

Only in Britain... are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

I'd say most of those apply to a lot of other countries.

TheDaddy
30-08-2006, 14:59
I'd say most of those apply to a lot of other countries.

Sadly you are probably right ;)

Salu
30-08-2006, 15:02
1. Brits complaining too much ;)
2. Selfishness
3. Too much tolerance but not enough grace
4. The demise of export trades
5. A distinct lack of pride in our country
6. Litter
39. Innumeracy
8. Christian bashing
9. Multiculturism - it's not working...it just destroys the British culture.
10. My Mother-in-law...:Yikes: (I'm dead)

Chrysalis
30-08-2006, 15:22
1. high cost of living.
2. unfair taxation.
3. bad democratic rules (first past the post)
4. over protected children
5. high teenage pregancy rate
6. high single parent population
7. high immigration

up side.

1. relative peace.

zovat
30-08-2006, 15:24
1. 'Text speak'....Dis & dat, u no wot I mean, yer ?
I agree - there is nothing worse that using this in inappropriate circumstances, however, abbreviations have always been part of the English language (especially for bits of latin) - i.e. A.D., S.O.S, etc.

2. The cost of living.

Allegedly we have one of the highest costs of living in the world (london is ranked as seventh most expensive place in the world to live) but we also have one of the lowest poverty rates in the world, and we are in the top ten for per-captia income.

3. The 'out of control' immigrant situation.

Yes, there are a lot of immigrants - however a large majority of those are getting jobs, paying taxes and contributing to society.
I personally have few issues with economic migrants, as the majority of eastern european immigrants are classed, but I agree that the number of people arriving and falsely claiming asylum and contributing nothing to the country (living off of benefits and handouts) needs adressing, and we need a better way to get those who are just here to sponge, and have no real reason not to go back to their homeland, back to where they started from.

4. The British justice system- Too soft on paedophiles, murderers, etc.
I agree - life should mean life - not a few years.
also - judges should not be bound by a system of "tarrifs" for good behaviour - such as 1/3rd off for a guilty plea.

5. The present government.
So vote them out next time... Democracy can suck - but what would you rather have ?

6. Living in fear of terrorist attacks.
A constant in this country since the Northern Ireland situation kicked off....

7. Organic produce costing twice as much as stuff with preservatives, additives, etc.
supply and demand is a bit of a bugger - only once more people grow organic food will the price come down.

8. People not cleaning up their dogs **** from the street.
should be forced to pick it up with their bare hands....

9. The British weather.
Its Britain - get over it.

10. Lack of respect and common courtesy from some of today's youth.
Agreed - I only hope that I will be able to bring my son up with respect and courtesy for those around him.

As ever - just my 2c

TheNorm
30-08-2006, 15:52
1. high cost of living.
2. unfair taxation.
3. bad democratic rules (first past the post)
4. over protected children
5. high teenage pregancy rate
6. high single parent population
7. high immigration

up side.

1. relative peace.

Erm... that's only eight...

hatedbythemail
30-08-2006, 18:04
1. people who moan about how terrible life is. when it isn't :-)

we're one of the worlds richest nations for chrissake. things could be a whole lot worse. ok, some are trying to make it so :-)

Flobajob
30-08-2006, 18:19
I'm gonna counter it too

1. Multiculturalism, I don't think it's destroying anything, politicians and do-gooders are doing that.
2. Temperate climate
3. British brewed beer!
4. Some beautiful scenery
5. Living in a democracy
6. Being a relatively wealthy country
7. Free healthcare
8. Good transport links, you can get pretty much anywhere fairly easily
9. The Monarchy
10. It's not France

(note, I'm not going to debate any of these points, they're my opinion)

I'm proud to be English, always have been.

Hugh
30-08-2006, 18:22

Me too, even though I was born in Scotland!

Sunglasses Ron
30-08-2006, 18:28
1. people who moan about how terrible life is. when it isn't :-)

we're one of the worlds richest nations for chrissake. things could be a whole lot worse. ok, some are trying to make it so :-)

I'm not saying my life is terrible, far from it in fact. These are just a list of things that **** me off, typed out during a moment of bordem. Although Great Britain is one of the worlds richest nations it certainly no reflection on my financial status, I'm still waiting (since April) for my company to give me a pay rise, whilst everything around me (energy & fuel prices, insurance premiums, mortgage rates, council tax, etc.) is going up making me worse off every month. Its the same old story 'The rich get richer, the poor get poorer'.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

I'm gonna counter it too

1. Multiculturalism, I don't think it's destroying anything, politicians and do-gooders are doing that.
2. Temperate climate
3. British brewed beer!
4. Some beautiful scenery
5. Living in a democracy
6. Being a relatively wealthy country
7. Free healthcare
8. Good transport links, you can get pretty much anywhere fairly easily
9. The Monarchy
10. It's not France

(note, I'm not going to debate any of these points, they're my opinion)

There is nothing too debate, all I've stated are the things (in my opinion) I hate about Great Britain, I haven't mentioned the things I like about it. :)